Posted in music on June 12, 2009

Band of Horses @ Carnegie Hall - June 11, 2009 (mcdeezily)
Band of Horses

"After a couple quick frosty beverages in the Carnegie Hall museum (got a little history lesson, saw a lot of autographed pics) we settled into our seats to see BOH take the stage about 9:15. The combination of it being an acoustic performance and being in Carnegie Hall made for a impressive performance that highlighted lead singer Ben Bridwell's vocals and the bands' haunting overall sound. They played around with a few tunes, playing 'Weed Party' a little quicker than usual and 'Wicked Gil' a little slower. The latter got a heckle from an audience member who shouted "Pick up the pace." To which Bridwell slyly responded, "We're gonna slow it down for you guys a bit" before launching into a stripped down version of 'The Funeral'." [Happy Genius Heroes]
A shot of the poster, and the setlist from last night's show, below...

Band of Horses @ Carnegie Hall - June 11, 2009 (mcdeezily)
Band of Horses

Band Of Horses @ Carnegie Hall 6/11/09 Setlist:

Part One
Marry Song
Why You Never Get Older
Window Blues
A Song For You (Gram Parsons cover)
Monsters
Compliments Down
The Great Salt Lake
Weed Party (in double time)
Wicked Gil (in half time)
The Funeral
New Song (by Tyler Ramsey)
No One's Gonna Love You
...one more I can't place...help please!

ENCORE:
Ode To LRC (Ben Bridwell & Tyler Ramsey)
Detlef Schrempf
The General Specific

i particularly enjoyed gram's and tyler's songs.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 8:54 AM

Were a lot of those songs new?

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 8:55 AM

I will second that blogger's sentiment; "it was a fun show". The guy in the dress section yelling for LRC every other song was kind of annoying, but the rest of the crowd was surprisingly courteous during the quiet moments. I think that there were 3 new songs played, and I agree with 8:41, A Song For You was a highlight for me, as well as the song Tyler fronted.

Posted by Deezey | June 12, 2009 9:05 AM

Is it just me or was the show not acoustic?

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 9:11 AM

it was more 'countryfied' than acoustic...

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 9:25 AM

I would say stripped down, undistorted electric is more accurate than "acoustic." There were acoustic instruments played throughout the evening, but there was almost always someone plugged in, too. Whatever the case, I thought it sounded incredible. The new songs are good. Would be great to hear a recording of it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 9:35 AM

What was the new song Tyler sang? Does anyone remember the lyrics. Need this track!

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 9:36 AM

I loved the show. The hall was impressive and seeing Band of Horses was excellent. I thought the band sounded real smooth and had a very vintage feel a la Prairie Home Companion. It wasn't a straight up acoustic show which is fine by me.

Posted by MattReadJunk | June 12, 2009 10:04 AM

amazing show, i don't think anyone left disappointed
hope they release this on CD

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 11:10 AM

I loved the concert! I hope they release this on CD as well, or something similar to this performance. I like the twangy versions of the songs! Disappointed they didn't play "Is There a Ghost" though.

Posted by Bryan Kremkau | June 12, 2009 11:26 AM

They sounded awesome, his voice was a perfect fit inside the hall. The gram parsons cover was a nice surprise.

Posted by stephen | June 12, 2009 12:30 PM

Also thought it was a fantastic show. Obviously, the sound was top notch. Only misfire was the reworked version of "Wicked Gil." They could've skipped that one for "Is there a ghost." But a pretty amazing show. Loved the piano version of "Funeral."

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 12:38 PM

Incredible show on all levels - set list, sound, setting, crowd (although we could have stood for a few numbers!). But can we all please agree to stop yelling for songs at shows? If you like a band enough to be at a show, then let them do their set and be done with it - nobody is impressed with your knowledge of the catalog, nor does anyone care how obscure a song you ar ecalling out. All you are doing is ruining other concert-goers experience. Want to prove you know and like the band? Shut up and listen to them wail. End of story. Otherwise, leave, hop on your blackberry and talk to your buddies about chicks - losers.

Posted by flems | June 12, 2009 1:08 PM

i kept calling out for freebird to no avail

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 1:14 PM

It was a fantastic night but I wish they'd truly, completely unplugged. That's what the hall is designed for! It would have been amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 1:43 PM

thanks for the set list. amazing show last night. check out my review, and an exclusive download of that "wicked gil (slow version)", which i actually think is great, though i love the original too...it's not from carnegie hall, but great quality and the same style as the one they played last night...peace...

Posted by ip | June 12, 2009 1:55 PM

amazing show last night. i was sitting up near the d-bag who kept whistling & yelling like he was at a f**kin' mets game. he was a drunk, balding, 40+ yr old idiot. but aside from that, anyone know the name of tyler ramsey's song? i know they said it was new, but anyone know if it's actually off his solo album?

Posted by jt | June 12, 2009 2:37 PM

By the way, Jill Hennessey was spotted coming out of the concert with her husband

Posted by Jill Hennessey | June 12, 2009 2:46 PM

Tyler's song was a stunner. Really looking forward to that one on the new album. Great, great show. Still pissed about no St. Augustine though.

Posted by anon | June 12, 2009 6:49 PM

why don't they ever seem to play st. augustine live? that song is so fucking good.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2009 6:57 PM

No St. Augustine because it is a Mat Brooke song, who is no longer with the band. Although I've heard from someone who was there that they played I Go To The Barn Because I Like The...which is also a Brooke tune that I've never seen them play live...Can anyone confirm that they played this song?

Posted by doc | June 13, 2009 2:22 AM

Also, my guess is the Tyler song was No One Goes Out Anymore, which they have played on tour previously. It's on his solo record, which I highly recommend you buy if you don't already have it.

Posted by doc | June 13, 2009 2:24 AM

that show made me HAPPY

Posted by sc | June 15, 2009 9:34 AM

Did anyone see the sick pictures of them on the fuse website.

So good...

Posted by ted | June 18, 2009 2:06 PM

hi everyone,
Does anyone know where i could get my hands on boh doing "a song for you" at carnigie? i would truly appreciate it. I do know about the versions on youtube, those can work for a bit, but unfortunately the quality is pretty dodgy.
Would seriously love to havethat song, all my best, c

Posted by Christopher | June 24, 2009 9:29 PM

I thought they changed their name to Band of Fangershorse?

Posted by unicorn | September 15, 2009 5:02 PM