Posted in To Do | music on June 14, 2009

by Bill Pearis

Chris La Putt's pictures on the wall of MHOW (by Maryanne Ventrice)
photos

NorthsideI'm gonna keep this Sunday (6/14) post short and sweet, or try to. First a couple announcements. The So Cow at Shea Stadium is now officially part of the Northside Fest, happily taking badges (hopefully). They're on at 10:30P. The rest of the evening is The Specific Heats at 7:30, the Gutsies (not the Gusties as I had called them before, sorry guys) at 8:30, and Knight School at 9:30. That should be a fun show.

And Crystal Stilts have been added to the Ponytail-curated bill at Studio B (moved from its original location at the Shank) which seems the place to be Sunday night. The lineup is: Cool Dads at 9:30, Thank You at 10:15, Ponytail at 11:15, at Crystal Stilts at 12:15. You could also spend your whole Sunday at Studio B, the day party features the fun Phil & the Osophers (3PM), Oregon folkie Laura Gibson (4PM) and The Dodos (5PM) who'll hopefully be playing a lot of songs from their new album which is due out later this year.

A couple other recommendations: Bruar Falls plays host to an afternoon of bands curated by 1928 Recordings. No Soft Pack (who are now signed to Kemado), unfortunately, but the awesome Browns (3PM), plus Air Waves (4PM) and the Sundelles (5PM).

And while it should come as no surprise that metal isn't really my thing, Black Bubblegum assures me the line-up he's put together at Europa would crush me like a bug. In a good way?

There is of course lots more going on at Northside on Sunday. Am I missing anything crucial?

Dodos video below...

Chris LaPutt FTW!

Posted by tim | June 14, 2009 5:19 AM

Who's that with the double-neck guitar?

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 5:22 AM

^^^The guy from Boris during their show at the East Village Radio Anniversary Festival at South Street Seaport last year.

Posted by blackhat | June 14, 2009 7:01 AM

Lot of curating going on today

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 7:16 AM

Dicks at MHOW stopped letting in badges at 10:30 last night. We really wanted to see Asobi Seksu, so we paid anyway. Once we got in, it was half empty. I know MHOW doesn't get any badge money, but WTF?

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 12:13 PM

last night i was in williamsburg and was lmfao when i saw people walking into the bar still wearing their badges from this lame festival

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 12:37 PM

It was probably half empty because a lot of people left after Cymbals Eat Guitars finished their solid set. You should have tried to catch them too, probably would have made it in. How was Asobi Seksu?

Posted by ROCK STARchitect | June 14, 2009 12:37 PM

this is why I always tell you to boycott MehHOW, does anyone listen? no.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 12:42 PM

that's how venues do at all festivals. they only let in a certain amount and that's it. dudes at the door don't care. can't blame them for doing their job.

and 12:37, i'm glad you spent your saturday night laughing at kids having fun! way to be a great human being! all of us message board trollers are so impressed at how much cooler you are than those nerds! Nerds! Wasting space in YOUR Williamsburg! You rule that neighborhood! WTF, right? WTF indeed.

Posted by bd | June 14, 2009 1:25 PM

I love how people are saying "Fuck Northside festival" at the same time they are throwing Northside festival shows... what's that all about?

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 3:44 PM

I understand the badge limit issue. I was just surprised that it was so empty for a space over limit on badges. Especially when they say badges are only stopped AFTER capacity is reached; not after some arbitrary number that the venue chooses because it isn't making enough on tickets. Fuck that.

Asobi rocked nonetheless. Went a little strobe light crazy, though. My retinas are still recovering.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 4:39 PM

no, you do have a point. i didn't mean to say you were unfairly bitching. and i emailed the northside festival people early on and asked if getting a badge GUARANTEED entry into all shows, and they told me yes, which turned out not to be the case. that's why i didn't buy the badge. didn't want to deal with the same hassles as CMJ badges.

that said, they did put together a great lineup, and it seems like most of the hassles were with the venues more than anything else.

Posted by bd | June 14, 2009 5:18 PM

Went to every show I wanted to this weekend and had absolutely NO problem getting in anywhere with a badge. From Sunset Rubdown @ Studio B to Cymbals Eat Guitars @ Music Hall to War on Drugs @ Union Pool which holds like 100 people.

I don't know what people are complaining about.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 5:23 PM

I saw John Norris at The Shank last night at around 2am waiting for Kurt Vile. Gotta love a 50 year old dude hanging out in Williamsburg warehouses dressed like a teenage hipster.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 5:31 PM

I totally agree with 5:31pm - John Norris is awesome for going to all these shows. I saw some dick laughing at Norris at the Shank, let's see if that guy has the same passion and commitment for music when he turns 50.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 6:12 PM

Looks like John Norris was covering the Northside Festival for the L Magazine: http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/yes-that-john-norris/Content?oid=1189479

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 9:03 PM

dodos videos from studio b here

www.youtube.com/maestro416

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 10:55 PM

Appears the MHOW thugs were letting folks in before Cymbals Eat Guitars. Normally there is a festival volunteer at the door that checks the badges and counts. They were not present when I got to MHOW right before Asobi. Either the badge limit was reached or they stopped because Asobi Seksu were last? No real way to check I guess.

I got into every other venue though.

12:37 you have a lot of time on your hands, I hardly saw badge holders. You're such a riot.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2009 12:41 PM