Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on June 25, 2009

by Black Bubblegum

Crocodiles

With two guitars, two pairs of sunglasses, and a drum machine, Crocodiles took the stages of Mercury Lounge on a Saturday evening June 20th, part of a bill that also included Arpline (fka The Kiss Off) and Big Bang TV.

Next up for the band: a UK tour in early July before the duo heads back out to their native west coast for a few dates with Pens & Graffiti Island and the San Diego Street Scene... all before going on tour with The Horrors in September and October. That means Crocodiles are back in NYC on Thursday, September 17th for a show at Bowery Ballroom, and then again at the end of the Horrors tour to play Friday, October 16th at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Crocodiles are NOT playing the Saturday, October 17th show at Maxwell's. Tickets for both the Bowery and MHOW shows are on sale. Maxwell's (sans Crocodiles) is on sale too.

Crocodiles released Summer of Hate earlier this year and are prepping to release a split 7" with Dum Dum Girls, Pens, & Graffiti Island on Art Fag Records.

All tour dates & more pictures from Mercury Lounge below...

CROCODILES - 2009 TOUR DATES

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 Toronto, ONT Lee's Palace
Thursday, October 15, 2009 Montreal, QUE Petite Campus
Friday, October 16, 2009 Brooklyn, NY MHOW

All Horrors dates, including Maxwell's, HERE

JATMC cover band.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 12:22 PM

...with trite Spacemen 3 look, stage presentation and lighting. Can someone please explain to me how this blog generation hype machine works, cuz I just don't understand how a "band" like this could be receiving the press they're getting and already be on major U.S. and European tours. Is it that they have the right booking agent? Press agent? Management? I'm so confused...

Posted by blackhat | June 25, 2009 12:28 PM

no one cares.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 12:28 PM

The Crocs were great and despite the JAMC comparisons, which are too facile, I think the band they really resemble is a youthful version of Suicide. The echo on the singers vocals and his rockabilly yips and yowls especially evoke Alan Vega. OK, they use a guitar and not a keyboard, but the entire vibe is very Suicide-ish.
Oddly, a section of the crowd was there to see the truly mediocre opening band, Arpline, and split before the Crocs came on. Their loss.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 12:31 PM

The new one by the Horrors (Primary Colours) is a mega-leap in quality over their first, so much so that they don't even seem to be the same band at times. This should be a great tour.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 12:36 PM

yeah i saw them at bowery...kinda boring...

Posted by george | June 25, 2009 12:37 PM

Boring? I dunno, it seems to me the Crocodiles are fun to watch onstage, there is a lot of movement by both players and lots of intensity yet they are obviously having fun with it at the same time. Boring to me is some whiny band of hipsters with acoustic guitars moaning about their latest tragedy (daddy's check being late, that sort of thing).

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 12:44 PM

"JAMC comparisons, which are too facile" !?
shut up Frenchie, they're too easy to compare because 99% of what they do IS JAMC.
Look at those pics above-JAMC.
same guitars, glasses, even hair almost.
Song titles: Neon Jesus, I want to Kill = JAMC.
They have the stupid, mandatory indie animal.
Kids today are too young to remember or even listen to JAMC so they get this. fuck 'em.

Posted by Oldie Olderson | June 25, 2009 1:10 PM

I'm listening to I wanna Kill - wow - that is JAMC to the exact #.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 1:18 PM

I was waiting for the path last saturday and I stumbled upon a forgotten record so I pick it up. and it's called "summer of hate" by some band called the Crocodiles. I guess a drunk hipster must have left it there after the show. I took it cuz it sounded promising with songs like "I wanna kill" and whatnot. It was a let down. But hey, I got a free record that I could probably sell to one of you kids!

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 1:40 PM

JAMC JAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMCJAMC

THE INDIE MACHINE IS JUST AS LAME AS THE MAINSTREAM MACHINE...

but don't be frustrated by the hype machine...

just keep searching for great bands.

it's your duty as a music-loving citizen :)

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 1:52 PM

So, I can't decide what I think of this band. Visually, they are totally going for the JAMC thing, and the show sort of resembles that as well, but if you listen to the ENTIRE album, most of is is actually more Spacemen 3, and i mean specifically the first half of the album Recurring (Sonic Boom's half). Of course, most of you are fucking music infants that don't know what the fuck you are talking about and can only think as far as just saying JAMC JAMC JAMC JAMC JAMC with your fingers stuck in your ears, unwilling to hear any argument to the contrary. Anyway, I still can't decide what I think because they are a bit boring, but the show is fun, the tunes are catchy, and I applaud them for having the balls to just get up there and do this knowing people will accuse them of ripping off their obvious influences.

Still, I'm not sold on them.

I will say this, while we are all posting on a message board, these guys are touring Europe. Crocodiles: 1, Losers on a Message Board: 0.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 2:22 PM

your mom's on a message board,

sucka.

disdainfully,

your father

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 2:46 PM

Crocodiles are definitely a CD band....they were terrible at Mercury...little by little, the crowd thinned out til hardly no one was left...who wants to see 2 dudes gyrating on stage...the guitarist dude playing w/the knobs was kinda cool but the singer was pretty lame...and c'mon, preprogrammed beats! wtf!!! for that have a DJ...they were drinking the wack juice yo!

Posted by funky_diabetic | June 25, 2009 3:31 PM

Are they giving away pillows at the door for their tour with The Horrors?

Posted by Music to nap to | June 25, 2009 6:25 PM

Nothing ever drives me to post here, but I LOVE TO LOVE A BAND THAT GETS HATED FOR NOTHING...AND THE PITCHFORK HATE IS THE ICING. Keep away from the shows if you don't like em and post all your Oscar Wilde like blogs all day long! If you just want to trash bands, become a real critic and make some $$$!

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 7:04 PM