Posted in music | pictures on June 15, 2009

photos by Jason Walker, words by Black Bubblegum

Sex Vid
sex vid

I haven't been to a matinee in a while, but if they're all this good, look for X's on my hands every week. Sex Vid, Iron Age, and Mind Eraser teamed up with RZL DZL and The Rival Mob (mems-Mind Eraser) to decimate Cake Shop on June 6th, one of a pair of shows for Sex Vid that day (Death By Audio was later that night).

Mind Eraser was the first band I caught, and the band's "not powerviolence" attack emphasized the sludgy, furious, and abrasive. I am a big fan of their current record, The Prodigal Son Brings Death, and am curious as to how they can grow their already considerable sound. This band is a must see next time they come through NYC (which is pretty often).

After a brief and comparatively lackluster set by RZL DZL (not a fan), Sex Vid took the stage to reveal their dangerous take on hardcore. The WA band wears it's punk influences on it's sleeve, or rather under it; Void, Germs, and Black Flag tattoos are all visible. Their tense, manic and powerful set highlighted moments from their Communal Living LP, as well as their many 7"s.

Iron Age closed the show, drawing heavily from their LP The Sleeping Eye due on Tee Pee on August 4th. I was just as impressed with their galloping Clevo Hardcore-meets-Motorhead attack this time as I was last time I saw them. I rarely say this, but I am pretty sure I could have done with a longer set from these Texas boys.

More pictures below...

WHERES THE TODD P ACOUSTIC SHOWCASE COVERAGE HEEELLOOOO

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2009 4:34 PM

Sex Vid=Boring
Iron Age=Boring
You=Boring

Posted by Jim | June 15, 2009 5:32 PM

was also at that show and had a near opposite reaction between RZL DZL and Mind Eraser.

I wasn't familiar with Rival Mob and hearing that one of their first songs was pro-eugenics "because let's face it, not everyone deserves to breed" kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Powerviolence and the ilk are not my thing at all, so Mind Eraser didn't do it for me.

I caught up with one of the RZLs and he said that was the first time they'd used that bassist and the drummer hadn't played with them in a year, and it kind of showed, but I thought they did well with the sound, which I found to be quite different from their Simply Saucers LP. More of the Motor City in the live performance.

Sex Vid was fun and manic. Happily scarfed up what they had for sale after the set.

I really enjoyed Iron Age's set a great deal as well, and it seemed everyone at the show wanted a longer set as everyone was slow to leave.

Posted by eric p | June 15, 2009 5:40 PM

I think these 3 bands are easily some of the best American bands playing an updated, unique variety of hardcore.

Having seen Mind Eraser & Sex Vid a few times before, I am stoked they have new vinyl out. Also really happy for a new Iron Age record!

Keep up the good work

Posted by fink | June 15, 2009 5:44 PM

MEHnd eraser

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2009 6:25 PM

^^^AnonyMEHs

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2009 6:34 PM

What did Sex Vid have for sale?

Posted by Oli | June 26, 2009 6:55 PM

Great post and draw. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by street lamps | October 23, 2009 1:55 AM

Creazy music!Thank you for sharing.

Posted by Rena | January 20, 2010 8:30 PM