Posted in music | pictures on June 8, 2009

photos by Lori Baily

Leonard Cohen

"Something must have happened to Leonard Cohen these past several years, because the performance the man gave on Thursday was stronger, more confident and even better developed than he has often sounded on his records. At the outset, the ten-piece group, including Cohen, were dressed in dark colors and many were wearing hats. The show began immediately with "Dance Me to the End of Love," and it was obvious that Cohen had lost none of his emotive powers as a singer. If anything, he was able to hit incredibly low notes, especially during "In My Secret Life," that were a marvel to witness." [Denver Westword]
Thursday night's show at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre (rescheduled from Tuesday due to rain) marked the end of LC's 2009 North American tour. By no means was it his last show though. After a well-deserved month off, Leonard's currently scheduled itinerary has him all over the world until the end of September, Israel included.

NYC shows were the two dates at Radio City in May, and one in February at the Beacon. More pictures, and the setlist, from Red Rocks, below...

Set List - Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Anthem

Second Set
Tower of Song
Suzanne
Sisters of Mercy
The Partisan
Boogie Street (vocals by Sharon Robinson)
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
Take This Waltz

Encore
So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will (vocals mostly by Charley and Hattie Webb)
Democracy
Closing Time
I Tried to Leave You

Cohen invented SHREDDING! awesome photos BV!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 12:43 PM

Cohen looks a bit like Leonard Nemoy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 12:53 PM

I give this guy alot of credit! That is a long show! Pictures are awesome too! I really need to see a show at Red Rocks! What a setting!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 2:22 PM

Lori Baily went out to Red Rocks for this? BV MEHst be raking in the dough.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 2:23 PM

These photos SHRED me! You rule BV! Cohen looks marvelous.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 3:20 PM

"Lori Baily went out to Red Rocks for this?"

Lori was already there.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 3:28 PM

Lori lucked out in what appears to be the only show that wasn't a soundboard shoot. nice shots!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 3:54 PM

I must say I was in heaven on a Thursday night...And So pleased that Red Rocks and Leonard were comfortable with rescheduling to Thursday from the frigid temporatures on Tuesday night. Leonard Cohen was and still is the outrageous,heart felt, deep thinking, poet/music man that I have always admired... I could not believe that after all of these years (30) he finally came alive for me...I did not know he was real. I will never forget that night.... I Love the guy..

Posted by BARBARA MARION KITZIS | June 8, 2009 4:25 PM

Red Rocks is a beautiful venue. Thanks for great pics.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 8:28 PM

Thank you for these Fantastic Photos to help remember this magical outrageous night! My husband and I also attended (Thanks to Tim Latta), We had a heart filled, magical, gift of hearing & seeing Leonard Cohen share his heart and soul with his presence, his poetic songs and interaction with the audience.

Posted by Glennis | June 8, 2009 8:33 PM

Nice pics... except for the shots of the audience. That dude with the skull cap in the last pic looks like an idiot.

Posted by Withoutcaution | June 13, 2009 7:05 AM

Do you know if Cohen is a vegan?

Posted by Lota | June 14, 2009 6:37 PM

I just found these photos. Thank you.
It's amazing that Leonard has found this wonderful, tireless energy, to honor his work in this way, and let us enjoy it.

Posted by Lue Zielke | June 15, 2009 12:18 PM

I was there at Red Rocks. It was the performance of a life time for me. Leonard touches my heart like no other performer can. This man is truely a gift to humanity. The performance was unbelievably moving and I am so greateful for having had an opportunity to see him life. What a PRESENCE! I was accompanied by my son who grew up with his music. We were totally awed by Leonard's humble and kind spirit.
Monika, Pueblo, Colorado

Posted by Monika Stanelle | July 25, 2009 4:52 PM

Thanks Glennis. It was pure magic. Might go to the show in Spain for LC's birthday!

Tim & Irene