Posted in music | pictures | tour dates | video on June 19, 2009

photos by Bao Nguyen

Jon Wiley & Lightspeed Champion @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
Lightspeed Champion

A circle of Brooklyn-based friends have joined together to throw a benefit for beloved, local musician, Jon Wiley. We Are the Wiley: A Benefit Concert for Jon Wiley will feature Adam Green, Lightspeed Champion, DJ Johnny Tropical, and Chairlift at The Shank-an art space and concert venue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn-on Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 8PM.

On March 5, 2009, professional guitarist, bassist, and keyboardist, Jon Wiley awoke without feeling or mobility in his arms and legs. He was subsequently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and incurred more than $30,000 worth of medical bills for his week-long hospital stay. After a lengthy recovery process, Jon has regained most feeling in his limbs and has gone on in recent months to record and perform with Lightspeed Champion, Adam Green, and his solo project, SpaceCamp. However, he is still without the means to afford his own healthcare.

Join us to celebrate the extraordinary talent of Jon Wiley, and raise funds to cover the expenses of a musician in need. This is a concrete opportunity to help a friend who, like so many artists and musicians in the United States, lack affordable healthcare. Jon's story highlights the importance of healthcare for every person and the value of living each day to the fullest.

Jon Wiley performed at least three times in the past two days. As Bill pointed out, Spacecamp opened for, and played with, Lightspeed Champion at Mercury Lounge on Wednesday night (6/17). Jon (and the rest of Spacecamp) then backed Dev again last night (6/18) when Lightspeed opened for Phoenix at Music Hall of Williamsburg.

The benefit flyer w/ more details, video from Mercury Lounge, and more pictures from MHOW, below...

MHOW pics...

Thursday, July 9, 2009
We Are the Wiley: A Benefit Concert for Jon Wiley

@The Shank
98 Bayard Street, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
CHAIRLIFT + LIGHTSPEED CHAMPION + ADAM GREEN w/DJ Set by Johnny Tropical
Doors at 8PM (all ages)
Tickets $15 - all proceeds go to Wiley's medical bills.

To make a donation, go here:
Thank you for your support!

someone has a new hat!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:32 PM

I liked this band a lot better when he wore the other hat.

Dammit, why does everything have to change?

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:46 PM

setlist for merc. show?

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:50 PM

not of fan of the new hat, sort of took away from the experience. other than that pleasant set.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:51 PM

@3:50 it was all new material except an altered version of Galaxy of the Lost.

Posted by Bryan Brinkman | June 19, 2009 3:53 PM

This clown's clock is ticking. I mean a new hat? Does he really think we're going to forget about the old hat? No fuckin' way. Not this guy! And I don't think he won any new fans with his 27 minute improv jam. I mean, all he was doing was dicking around on the guitar, stopping every now and then to go, "Are you diggin' this? You're diggin this, right?" He didn't even play one actual chord during that abortion.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:00 PM

^Yeah, right! What the fuck was up with that? He totally lost the crowd with that noise.

I was not diggin' it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:46 PM

Oh, please. You're a joke. He said, "Are you digging this? I hope you dig this", fucking dick. Don't make this dude out to be some pretentious fuck based on statements you made up in your head whether you like it or not. Boot up. Shut up. Next.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 5:03 PM

^You got the quote wrong. It was, "Are you diggin' this? You're diggin this, right?

And it's 100% true.
He was all like, "Bear with me here people. I'm gonna be tryin' out this new jam. I just made it up now, and goes something like this . . ." And then he launched into like 27 minutes of feedback and noodling on his guitar, and again he'd stop every now and then and say, "Are you diggin' this? You're diggin' this, right?"

And now that I've had some time to think about it, I've got to admit, I was diggin' it. You on the other hand, not so much. Now who's next?

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 5:41 PM

He needs to bring back the hat that he wore when he was in the Test Icicles. Now that was a hat! I'd go see that hat again. I'd need to hear a little more about this new hat before I pay money to see it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 6:00 PM

i was told great things about his previous hat. once i saw this one i was sorely disappointed.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 6:40 PM

that hat makes him look fat.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 7:41 PM

I heard his hat had a meltdown at a recent show. Can anyone confirm this?

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 7:52 PM

Ummm..... hats. Right. You guys are talking about hats. Great.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2009 5:31 PM

LsC's hat is one of the most underrated hats in modern music. I don't understand why other hats get more attention, but they do, and it's a damn crime. The crime of the century!

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2009 1:34 PM

Did anyone hear the rumor that Lightspeed Champion's hat is dating one of the Vivian Girls?

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2009 8:22 PM

This guy is retarded, I bet he's secretly related to Jamiroquai.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2009 11:16 PM

The benefit show is NOT all ages.

Posted by Liane | June 22, 2009 1:24 PM