Posted in music | tour dates on June 22, 2009

Passion Pit fans @ Bowery Ballroom - June 20, 2009 (TimmyGUNZ)
Passion Pit

"The members of Passion Pit -- Mr. Angelakos, Ian Hultquist on keyboards and guitar, Ayad Al Adhamy on keyboards, Jeff Apruzzese playing bass and Nate Donmoyer behind the drums -- were arranged onstage amid a maze of synthesizers. It was a stymieing set-up; even when the band was sonically flamboyant, it was visually dull.

That was no obstacle to the crowd. On the single "Sleepyhead" most of the audience members pumped their fists in the air; a few pounded the walls. On "Little Secrets" Mr. Adhamy and Mr. Hultquist led the crowd in an enthusiastic chant. (On the album these vocals are provided by the chorus from Public School 22 on Staten Island.)" [NY Times]

Passion Pit played two sold out shows at Bowery Ballroom in NYC on Friday (6/19) and Saturday night (6/20). Phoenix played a sold out show at Music Hall of Williamsburg on Thursday (6/18) and one at Terminal 5 on Friday (6/19).

Up next for both bands: Two will-be-sold-out shows at Central Park Summerstage in NYC this fall. There is the previously-announced show happening on September 25th (tickets), and the new show they just added at the same venue one day later. Tickets for the September 26th show go on AmEx presale Wednesday at 11am, and then regular sale on Thursday at noon.

All dates below...

GMAFB

Posted by GMAFB | June 22, 2009 10:05 AM

Six FLAGGGGGGGGS!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 10:07 AM

SleepyMEHd

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 10:16 AM

Only one pick? And a terrible one at that? Where are the links BV? Passion Pit has really already got a worldwide sold out tour? That's crazy. Any other thoughts on the shows this weekend?

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 10:31 AM

The "MEH" jokes have really got to stop. They're as tired as "what time does Daft Punk go on?" & the ever-lame "I'd hit it" comments... if not more so.

You kids need some new material. Hell, I'd almost welcome back Beethoven's bathtub again.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 10:36 AM

I liked Passion Pit better when they were called Mariah Carey

Posted by heartbreaker | June 22, 2009 10:53 AM

10:53 wow...what a lame attempt at humor? I don't even know if that is supposed to be humor...

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:03 AM

Here are a few things that I have to get off my chest from this past friday's show:

- Good show overall. Although I wish Passion Pit played a bit longer. (They only played for about 45-50 minutes)

- There were A LOT of kids at this show. I'm 27 and I felt like I was supervising. Many of the kids were SLOPPY drunk. I had a drink dropped on me during Bear Hands set when everyone was sitting on the floor. While other times stumbling, bumbling idiots were hanging on to random strangers and they stood there and were cringing.

- Scenesters were out in full force. If you go to a show please, I beg of you not to scream out songs you want to hear. Odds are they are going to play it. Especially if the only song you want to hear is "Sleepyhead." Learn some of their other material. I am specifically talking to the Blonde bimbo with the fake thick black glasses on and her loser friends. Seriously, don't wear thick black frames b/c you think that is what "Hipsters" wear. You're lame and unable to make decisions on your own.

- DON'T TRY PUSHING TO THE FRONT WHEN THE SHOW IS STARTING!!! Have any of you ever heard of concert ediquette? For fuck sake. Yeah, your girlfriend/friends are up there. I've heard it before. You are not getting past me and none of you did and you know who you are. I seriously thought I was going to have to fight this group of would be frat boys for being utter assholes trying to ruin my concert experience. But obviously like most cowards do, they back off when you speak up. Pussies.

Other than all THAT it was a good time. Passion Pit is starting to sound better as a live act but I feel they are much more of a studio band than a live one.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:11 AM

I can appreciate 10:53's attempt at the joke. I get the falsetto comparison. I think it definitely needed to be refined. No build up or anything.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:12 AM

Amen, 11:11. Amen,

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:14 AM

haha 11:11. don't you notice that youngins and frat jocks are the only people who try to be in the front? why dont you try enjoying the concert from the balcony at a table or something. it's a much more controlled, civilized environment since apparently everything about the show-going experience pisses you off.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:16 AM

^ it isn't that the concert going experience pisses me off, it was that it was just overwhelmingly bad this time around. More so than usual.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:33 AM

is there any links to pics from the show?

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:35 AM

11:11 speaks the truth!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:38 AM

@ 11:11 "I'm 27" - And you're at a Passion Pit show complaining about sloppy drunk scenesters? LOL What did you expect? Grow up and listen to some fucking real music and maybe the crowds at shows you go to won't suck so much.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:45 AM

Dude, I'm in my mid-20's and listen to Passion Pit. What is "real music" to you? Grizzly Bear??

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:49 AM

Grizzly Bear is worse than Passion Pit. Passion Pit is the kind of band you get into when you're 19, love until you graduate from college and then feel guilty about liking by the time you're in your mid-20's. Grow up.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 11:54 AM

is the friday central park one really sold out?!?!?!
damn it!

Posted by imkoreansowhat | June 22, 2009 12:00 PM

I'm 28. Someone please tell me which bands I should be listening to in order to appear "hip." I'm talking to you, 11:54.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 12:07 PM

I love how you assholes bash every single band. Passion Pit doesn't try to be anything they are not. They are good dance pop. Nothing more. It is fun music. 11:45 & 11:54 sounds like a self-rightous dickheads. What bands DO you like then? Do you even listen to music? Just b/c you both probably still live with your parents doesn't give you any reason to hate the world. I guarentee however many bands you may think suck like Passion Pit and Grizzly Bear, you couldn't make anything better. God you fucking hipsters are so pathetic. Maybe its you guys who should be growing up.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 12:14 PM

That concert was a frat fest! does anyone else find it a bit odd that they have such a large broham following? Is it because they are from boston? Please help me out!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 12:15 PM

i'm moving out of my parents place in august.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 12:18 PM

I don't feel guilty about liking Passion Pit. I feel guilty that I have to have similiar taste in scenes and websites as this fucking toolbox. Or apparently I don't have similar tastes considering this cumstain doesn't like anything.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 12:18 PM

i'm moving out of my parents place in august.

Hahaha...pathetic. I'm sure they will still be funding your bills while you sit in front of your computer hating the world.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 12:20 PM

(I think 12:18's post was a joke.)

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 12:21 PM

everyone will forget about Passion Pit in a year or 2

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 12:22 PM

Everyone here seems to feel rather secure with themselves. That's what we like to see.

Posted by StopCrying | June 22, 2009 12:23 PM

I don't hate everything there just aren't that many good bands around right now. That's the truth.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 12:39 PM

12:22..I don't think anyone will remember you in a year or 2 either. Especially since you are annonymous..

Posted by annonymous 2 | June 22, 2009 12:39 PM

wow, i just can't believe some of the low class, negative assholes this site attracts. obviously, some of these bashers must be in shit bands themselves that suck. well, nothing wrong with critiquing since music is such a personal experience, but just say something good about the stuff you like and stop trying to talk trash without any substance. life would be much more pleasant for you and for the assholes that hang with you, although, i can't understand why anyone would hang with you. well, i'm over 30, my friends are over 30 and we absolutely love passion pit and their music. i can also appreciate the creative writing skills that mike angelakos possesses as is quite apparent on manners, especially! there is so much depth that can be discovered with each listen of each song. french kiss and columbia also recognized that talent immediately and that's got to say something. as for us, the over 30 hip crowd - can't wait for central park - both shows!!

Posted by bob | June 22, 2009 12:50 PM

all you people think you are so cool because you like Passion Pit. But you are too dumb to realize that they are ripping off a legendary 80's group. and does anyone else think the lead singer sounds like a Bee Gee?

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:17 PM

The Bee Gee's are from the 80's!? That's news to me!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:22 PM

No one thinks they are "cool" because they like Passion Pit. That is just stupid. On these boards, it isn't cool to like any bands.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:25 PM

The only cool band to like is Foghat, cuz they shred.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:28 PM

set list(s)?

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:36 PM

"On these boards, it isn't cool to like any bands."

this is a messageboard?

Posted by Bobby the Rookie | June 22, 2009 2:10 PM

People who post on this site think they're so self-righteous. I know that's the case with any Internet message board/comments section, but in my encounters, more so on this site than any other.

It used to be kind of funny. Now it's just really annoying.

Posted by MP | June 22, 2009 2:16 PM

Remember when you went on the internet and other people on the internet didn't like what you liked so you said so on the internet. Yeah, no one else remembers either.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:29 PM

dude, I dont remember what happened yesterday, much less two years ago...

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:43 PM

i'm 29 and bought 'Manners' this weekend. what a lame ass i is.

Posted by beast | June 22, 2009 3:03 PM

More like MEHnners

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:07 PM

I like Vampire Weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:56 PM

1. Michael Angelakos is a talented songwriter, craftsperson and performer who does not sound like anyone else.

2. He has very large potential.

3.Passion Pit's music makes people feel really good.

can you deny these things?
•••

Don't worry about comparisons, searching for fault, or what their music or image makes you "think." the important question is "what does it make you FEEL?"

I am a big fan of theirs, but if your answer is really "not good," then fine. let's get on with it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 4:40 PM

Right on 4:40!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 4:49 PM

way to go 4:40- we're with you. now on to the next show!
actually the central park gig with phoenix on 9/25 is SOLD OUT already so they scheduled a second show for the next nite and tickets for that go on sale wed at 11:00 am. two fabulous bands-two fabulous nites! how about that?

Posted by bob | June 22, 2009 5:02 PM

It's sad we live in a world where someone can call Phoenix and Passion Pit "fabulous" and still be allowed to live. Get some culture, BV.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 5:05 PM

I like the album Manners, but the show made me FEEL horrible. I think I FEEL this way because I am one of the few people that believe thinking and feeling are symbiotic. I think they are not as good as I thought, so I don't feel like listening to them much more.

Posted by Ang | June 23, 2009 12:34 AM

bob is clearly brain damaged and passion pit still sucks. they are just terrible.

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | June 23, 2009 11:52 AM

oh wait, bob is their dad. i get it.

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | June 23, 2009 11:54 AM

^ Biggest tool on BV.

"Scared Absolute Hipster Cow" The name alone pisses me off.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2009 1:14 PM

Seriously. I like how he comes back to post 2 minutes later that sweet zinger. His wit cannot be denied....yawn.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2009 1:36 PM

Damn I can't believe I missed these shows. Hopefully I'll get to the Summer Stage gig later this year.

Posted by This Music Sucks | June 23, 2009 2:56 PM

12:34 needs to smoke a joint

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2009 6:32 PM

I imagine they attract "bros" because their album was widely praised, boosting their exposure to white bros who listen to mainstream indie acts.

Posted by Anonymous | February 5, 2010 3:23 AM

Passion pit is a fad for insecure little boys and girls, who ironically, all post on this website. My 11 year old sister could do his voice, find some crappy drummer that plays one beat the whole song, and synth line so un-original and stale that you'd think it's sampled, and a guitar line that barely steps out of the boundaries of power-chords. Sounds like a 7th grade band, with studio backing. Awful, just plain awful and hurts my heart to think people like such garbage.

Posted by Adam | April 28, 2010 6:04 PM

I agree. I checked their stuff out and they SUCK. cant believe people like this garbage.

Posted by FC | February 20, 2011 1:03 PM