Posted in music | pictures on June 24, 2009

photos by Leia Jospe

Patrick Wolf

"Patrick was all bite last night as he lashed out on gay marriage policies, shitty microphones, feedback and one annoying dweeb in the crowd. Before he jumped into the rights anthem "Battle" he aroused the crowd with by asking a series of questions ending in "Who here wants to marry the same sex?" followed by cheers and fist pumps. Then he brought up the UK's bogus policy on not allowing public schools to discuss gay marriage, inciting the crowd further. Through The Bachelor he finally decided to call out these injustices and turn it into a song like Battle, which is a powerful heavy metal civil rights chant when done live." [Girl Props]
More pictures from last night's show below...

Plastiscines

Living Things

Living Things

Living Things

Living Things

Living Things

Living Things

Living Things

Living Things

Living Things

Living Things

Patrick Wolf

I heard Pwolf was 23 and bi. It's true. This was from a very credible source. She should know. She wore feathers at his show.

Posted by Your Mom | June 24, 2009 5:03 PM

P.S. Nice photos, Leia. <3

Posted by Your Mom | June 24, 2009 5:04 PM

oh yesz, i readz my muziks informashun on bronx carnivore.
i wantz to be patrick fox.

Posted by credible source with feathers on her head | June 24, 2009 5:10 PM

Jaguar Love sucked tiger dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 5:10 PM

jaguar love, horrendous
plasticines, french bitches
living things, no thank you
patrick wolf, the best ever

just saying.

Posted by not your mom | June 24, 2009 5:11 PM

jaguar love sucked jaguar dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 5:15 PM

patrick wolf sucked wolf dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 5:19 PM

patrick wolf is da cutest!

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 5:20 PM

I want the girls in that second band to suck my tiger dick.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 5:44 PM

I've been to a good number of shows over the years, and I can say that Jaguar Love was one of the worst acts I've ever seen. Ever...
I always tried to like the Blood Bros., but I couldn't because this same idiot shit all over the music with his talentless bullshit. On top of this, he doesn't even have any charisma whatsoever.
He does, indeed, suck Jaguar dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 5:48 PM

not your mom: As much as I hate to agree with someone using that moniker; absolutely right. Jaguar Love was painful, the lead singer of Plastiscines came off as a stuck up bitch - seriously, you can't make people clap along with your crappy songs, and stopping playing just makes you look even more like an enormous tool - and as for Living Things, the only good thing that can be said for their set was that it was brief. Patrick Wolf is a phenomenal performer and a captivating character in general: my beef is not with his set! (Even if he had a couple of bitchy moments, he was well within his rights, imho)

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 6:53 PM

I thought Patrick Wolf reached a pretty flawlesss, definitely beautiful set. Absolutely amazing.

Posted by Shannon | June 24, 2009 7:45 PM

anon 6:53
plasticines made me hate clapping.
and yes, patrick can do whatever the hell he wants, he's a genius.

Posted by not your mom | June 24, 2009 8:24 PM

Hank III: better than all of 'em.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 8:33 PM

Patrick was on fire last night. The amount of 16-year old gay dudes in plaid shirts and short shorts watching the show was frightening.

Posted by P Wolfy | June 24, 2009 9:00 PM

Last Sunday Patrick Wolf played the club around the corner from where Condo Fucks were playing...the line to get in was filled w/ people who would alarm most fire marshalls.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's his music that doesn't appeal.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 9:50 PM

Patrick Wolf = genius with a shitty last album. He's all about the looks now.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2009 10:50 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 3:55 AM

anybody got the setlist from this show?

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 9:31 AM

Living Things are a great band but got short shrift from the set-up there, sandwiched between the chick band and the tall gay dude. They had to play squeezed into the front of the stage in front of Patrick Wolf's musical equipment. And they only got to play about 6 songs, or so it seemed. As for Patrick Wolf, I didn't realize his audience was 90% gay, so as a heterosexual I didn't feel welcome as Wolf was obviously interested in playing to his NYC gay contingent and nobody else. His new stuff from The Bachelor is a lot better than any of his older stuff, but I'm sure his loyal fans don't agree. He is talented for sure, but also flawed artistically and immature emotionally.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 10:16 AM

oh my god 10:16 get.over.yourself. how was he "playing to his gay audience?" he was performing with charisma and attitude the way he always does and if you were a FAN of his music he would be playing to you too. you didn't feel welcomed because you are uncomfortable with people expressing sexuality and as far as i'm concerned that's your problem, not patrick's or his audiences.

his new stuff is not as good as his old stuff as a sampling of his older records would quickly inform you.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 11:19 AM

^ gay

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 11:49 AM

Yep. The reply was exactly what I expected. Some people are walking cliches. Including some gay people.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 11:59 AM

The problem is not whether Patrick Wolf is gay or straight. The problem is that his new album is terrible and he mostly plays from it. His shows are fine, but I really couldn't stand all his clowning to promote The Bachelor. His "gayness" is nothing but a stage act.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 2:22 PM

patrick quit the music industry a few years back. he prolly should have stuck to that.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 3:15 PM

The reasons singers like Marc Almond from Soft Cell remained silent about their sexuality for years was that they didn't want to be pigeonholed as a "gay cult singer." Identity politics and music aren't a good mix. Wolf, in NYC anyway, comes across like he's doing the exact opposite of Almond, campaigning as a "gay cult singer." Really, it's better to remain mysterious. At least better career-wise.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 3:36 PM

"The problem is that his new album is terrible and he mostly plays from it." I find his new album to be far better than The Magic Position, which really didn't do it for me. I take it from the crowd's reaction that his gay audience treasures that album and his first one. Oh well.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 3:41 PM

"Was this the making of a mockumentary of some sort with Ziggy Stardust costumes, and a Bangles esque group?" Sigh. Another hipster unsure if what s/he is seeing is "reality" or an ironic, metafictional version thereof. It must be hell to go through life like that. Maybe it comes from watching too much reality TV?

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2009 3:49 PM

I didn't care for the album as it was recorded, although the songs were absolutely fantastic when performed live. Easily the best show I've seen in quite a while.

Posted by andrew | June 25, 2009 8:25 PM

Patrick Wolf's music is quite sterile.

Posted by A Gay Person | June 26, 2009 1:13 AM

Patrick Wolfe was ok ... I thought the Living Things were pretty great I have never caught them before. They had a really in your face to the point sound that was bit refreshing amongst the 80'S shoegazer Indy sound of now

Posted by Lisa | June 27, 2009 1:21 PM

wow Lisa you have got to be kidding me the Living Things was probably the worst band of the night with Jaguar Love following very close behind. when he starting cheersing to "peace, love, and happiness" i really wanted to kill him/myself/everyone around me for clapping for him.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2009 12:00 AM

Although jaguar love didnt have there drummer the two man act was far better than patrick wolf and living things...plasticines were just as good...i gotta say though that patrick wolf is by far the worst act i have ever seen in my life...a 5 year old banging on pots n pans is far more entertaning and probably sounds better than that douche...

Posted by AMantillado | July 1, 2009 3:48 PM