Posted in music | pictures on June 5, 2009

photos by Fresh Bread

Phish

"Although there is hardly a shortage of jam bands, Phish had no full-fledged successor on the arena circuit during its absence. Its audience, and apparently the band itself, both realized something was missing in a Phish-less world: the band's particular assortment of head-bobbing, good-timey roots-rock and complex compositions full of shifty meters, key changes and other musicianly twists and turns." [NY Times]
What surprised me most about the three Phish concerts at Jones Beach this week (the third one is tonight, Friday, June 5th), is how many friends and friends of friends I know that went, or are going, to one of the shows. They are everywhere (PHresh Bread included). And this is the part where I try to insert a hippy joke, but instead, here's another review...
"I was expecting a dirtier, sketchier crowd, but besides for the proliferation of whippets dealers in the parking lot after the show, the fact I had to walk through a flood in the men's room to pee and the complete lack of women, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between this show and a Third Eye Blind concert, the hippies were non existent and although some folks were swaying hippie style - the bulk of the audience seemed like accountants who went to good private colleges and liked to wear over priced sandals and Patagonia shells. Although the music itself was amazing the people were kind of boring, but based on the overwhelming amount of people driving with their windows closed before and after the show I could tell the crowd was going to be like their driving habits, climate controlled. I have this theory that people who drive with their windows open are just more friendly and interesting, less stand offish." [Frum Satire]
It is of course possible some of those people were just trying to keep the smoke in, or in the case of tonight (and last night?), the rain out. Pics from night one continued below....

Phish

The shows were Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesday, Mike Gordon made a surprise appearance at City Winery in Manhattan.

Next weekend Phish is headlining Bonnaroo.

David Bowie?

Posted by UB40 | June 5, 2009 3:49 PM

UB40?

Posted by David Bowie | June 5, 2009 3:49 PM

Gonna be a WET one tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 3:53 PM

tuesday night was AWESOME, solid reba and amazing 2nd set. one down, five to go

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 3:54 PM

"I have this theory that people who drive with their windows open are just more friendly and interesting, less stand offish"

me too.....
amazing show last night...

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 3:54 PM

ugh. why did they have to get back together?

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 3:59 PM

Do you think the guys from Phish ever get laid on tour? I mean, seriously. They look like how I imagine BrooklynVegan commenters to look (not me though. I'm amazing).

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:06 PM

Reason: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:07 PM

"ugh. why did they have to get back together?"

How does it affect you? Do you live inside a van that's only used to follow Phish around the country and now you find yourself put out again?

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:16 PM

Thursday's show was fantastic. The opener, "Divided Sky" was epic. I had a blast.

Posted by Dan | June 5, 2009 4:16 PM

i wanna steal that lovetone meatball

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:17 PM

Thanks for posting pix, had a great time Tuesday night and again on Thursday. Staying away tonight because of the rain.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:17 PM

faggy crap...a bunch of 30-40 something year olds on E who never got past their musical explorations from when they were 16-18 years old. losers. try something that has some lyrical content - you are all deaf and need a rebirth. maybe the acid you take at tonights show will wake you up to the reality that Phish sucks and is for 12 year olds. funny thing on top of all that is todays teens couldnt give a $hit about Phish.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:19 PM

I call Bathtub Gin tonight. These shows have been amazing. It's like watching PHiSH with fresh eyes again. They are on top of their game. Tuesday was one the best shows that I have seen them play since 1998.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:20 PM

Isn't the bassist a child fucker?

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:23 PM

tues was great. get over the hating if it's not your thing. saw a really good band play some good songs (and a few bad ones... nobody's perfect) and enjoyed the shit out of it. If you are considering it, go. And there were plenty of extra tix to be found too.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:24 PM

I'm with Anon 4:19, I hate seeing people have fun. I can't understand why these people enjoy good musicians who don't take things too seriously. Boo fun, yeah negativity!

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:24 PM

Good music is just good music. It's okay to like Phish people. They are not just a hippie or a jam band. These shows have been well balanced with about 3 jam songs each night and the rest good rock n roll. The cover of the Talking Heads song 'Cities' was fantastic. And VU cover of 'Rock and Roll' last night during the encore was rockin'. Phish not only jams, but plays great rock n roll that gets quickly discounted because hippies like them. It's an unjust stereotype. Most phish fans i know also love many of the great bands covered on this site. I also think that during the mid to late nineties only Radiohead and phish were making new & inventive music. Not to mention the fact that phish is probably more "indie" then many bands covered here. people need to give them a fair shot. Check em out live. That being said, my cooler is packed and I'm headed to the beach panchos in hand.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:30 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:32 PM

Drowned was insane last night.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:42 PM

Anon 4:19, proof that homophobes hate Phish...yet still feel the need to angrily post about them.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:43 PM

Tue was excellent. Too bad the photographer wasn't able to capture the expression on Trey's face when Fish launched into Weekapaug WAY too suddenly. It looked pretty funny from where I was standing. Have fun, to those going tonight!

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:43 PM

Phish is the worst band of all time. All Jam bands need to be destroyed.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:48 PM

"faggy crap...a bunch of 30-40 something year olds on E who never got past their musical explorations from when they were 16-18 years old. losers. try something that has some lyrical content - you are all deaf and need a rebirth. maybe the acid you take at tonights show will wake you up to the reality that Phish sucks and is for 12 year olds. funny thing on top of all that is todays teens couldnt give a $hit about Phish"

this guy listens to dan deacon

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:54 PM

phMEHsh

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 4:56 PM

MEATSTICK was whipped out, for sure

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 5:42 PM

4:19 - you've seriously mischaracterized and underestimated phish's audience.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 5:43 PM

Phish OWN your sniveling trendy williamsburg indie faces ... realize

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 5:50 PM

"The far away pictures look really cool and the close-up pictures look fuckin' lame. What gives?"

the band is fugly, but they have the best lighting director in the business: Kuroda.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 6:28 PM

"I also think that during the mid to late nineties only Radiohead and phish were making new & inventive music"

Yeah. That Neutral Milk Hotel band was so unoriginal and non-inventive.

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 6:30 PM

band hasnt written a good song in 10 years.

but then again, with enough "heady nugs" anything sounds acceptable.

Posted by truth | June 5, 2009 6:34 PM

No women? I thought the whole point of this shit was easy access to hot deadhead chicks?

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 7:15 PM

phish heads are usually pretty hot

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 8:34 PM

pee pee

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 8:55 PM

Hey Anon 4:19, go listen to Dan Deacon and be a lame ass indie creep..

Phish is an amazing rock group who know how to play REAL music.

Posted by Sally Sullivan | June 6, 2009 12:11 AM

Why are there two Phish posts telling people to listen to Dan Deacon? Also, if you're so concerned about people having a good time and not getting all snooty with their tunes, shouldn't you all love Dan Deacon too? That dude likes to throw big old sillyparties for the kids.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2009 12:58 AM

crappy write-up and even crappier comments.

afraid to come out from behind your hipster pose and actually talk about the music, brooklynvegan? not sure whether to say that a) phish sucks or that b) they're virtuosic masters of their instruments for fear of alienating one or the other side of your readership?

if i didn't know anything about phish before i read this, i still wouldn't. here's a novel idea; how about taking a stab at describing the band rather than just saying that you were surprised to find that you had friends who like them. all your write-up does is tell us that you believed that you and your friends were cooler than that, and frankly i couldn't care less about you and your friends. the band, on the other hand, i might come to your site to read about.

good thing your indie-cred is secure.

Posted by Alex | June 6, 2009 9:28 AM

Alex,
Brooklyn Vegan is not a writer. This site is information for fans. It is not about the writing. It is about the photos and info about shows. If you want to read better work, read The Lord of th Rings.

Posted by Bill | June 6, 2009 10:01 AM

welcome to BrooklynVegan, where we never talk about the MUSIC, but instead always comment on the scene and complain about things! that is much more fun! loosen up everyone! I had my windows down, dancing shows on and it was a great night!

Posted by Joe | June 6, 2009 11:05 AM

the bass player gets laid by 9 yr old girls :o

Posted by fishy | June 6, 2009 5:17 PM

you enjoy MEHself

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2009 5:26 PM

i love reading the expected negativity and "my music is better than your music" posts from the angry hipsters who obviously can't get laid and have nothing better to do than bash a band that has more talent in it's guitar tech than all the whiny uber-cool stuff they like. if you are a fan of music you simply have to appreciate the level of skill each member of this band possesses.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2009 6:08 PM

Phmeish

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2009 6:25 PM

that's true.. the bassist- Mike Gordon was reported to be a child fucker. but he wails on that bass!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2009 11:52 AM

The shows were amazing this weekend, esp. Friday night. I flew out from Colorado to hear these shows. The crowd was as I mostly remembered it but with less wookies. The east coast represented very well. Can't wait for Red Rocks! Saw Ben Stillar backstage.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2009 6:29 PM

many great artists are child fuckers. Mike Gordon just happens to be a replacable generic bassist kiddy fucker.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2009 8:01 PM

I gotta admit. I thought the Mike Gordon kiddy toucher thing was bogus till I read the link Ryan posted above!

He was taking art pictures?? at a dead show alone with her?? He really is a kiddy toucher! You'd think these famous people could lie better.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2009 8:13 PM

this band kicks the ass of everyone on this website. love the hister apathetic headline

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 1:40 AM

the most pompous ass in the world is a defensive phish fan.

Posted by sue | June 8, 2009 7:43 AM

the most defensive ass in the world is a pompous phish fan.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2009 11:48 AM

To those of you who enjoy listening to Phish:

Welcome back! The boys are on fire and every show is better than the last; they're playing like they did over 10 years ago! Rediscover'd the joy? I think so.

To those of you who dislike listening to Phish:

Many of your comments were a tad aggressive and defensive sounding in nature. One thing I'll give to you is that they don't write good pop/indie songs. But the songs that they do write generally meld genres and styles in such a way that there is no denying that it is truly creative and unique and I don't know why you would cast stones at a band that tries to do something different.

Anyway, I'm pumped! They rock!

Posted by Matthew K | June 9, 2009 11:01 PM

Wow - there are so many indie morons on this site.

Anyway, I have been seeing Phish since '92. At this point, they are part of me. I get IT. I just came of seeing 4 shows in a row. A deep Phish jam usually about the 9 minute mark in a 20 minute jam is where I begin to step outside myself. Most indie folks don't get this concept. Its kind of like meditation. Usually a trancelike state comes over me, Oh, and I don't do any drugs other than smoke ganja. I can stay in this state of mind for long stretches of time depending on the band's performance, venue etc..

I hate when mainstream people try and write about Phish, because they don't get IT and they never will. Because they always try to categorize this band, and that is impossible. What do you call a band that plays bluegrass, funk, hard rock/metal, ballad, and psychedelic jamming? Anyway, I hope more and more people learn to hate phish this way there will be more tickets for those in the know.

Posted by PB | June 11, 2009 1:41 PM

Wow--awesome pix first off. secondly-I recently got into Phish..I never knew they were around for so long. I don't think i like them enough to see them at Bonnaroo yet, but Fuse is airing a concert special tomorrow at 4pm. Phish live at the Clifford Ball. I hope they play my faves! Click here to see what channel: http://fuse.tv/channelfinder.html

Posted by Kenny | June 12, 2009 1:16 PM