Posted in music | pictures on June 22, 2009

photos by Natasha Ryan

Phoenix @ Terminal 5
Phoenix

"Phoenix's 75-minute set at the sold-out Terminal 5 showed that the success of "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix" is only the starting point. They are aiming for far bigger things." [Newsday]
Passion Pit played two shows at Bowery Ballroom. Phoenix played a show at Music Hall of Williamsburg followed by a show at Terminal 5 (Friday, June 19th). Pics from the latter are in this post. Both bands will play TWO shows together at Central Park Summerstage in September. All dates for both bands HERE. More pictures from Terminal 5 (where Amazing Baby opened) below...

Amazing Baby

Too Young
Sometimes in the Fall
Rome

ENCORE:
If I Ever Feel Better
1901

amazing baby dood looking plump

Posted by mcg | June 22, 2009 1:09 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:13 PM

these photos are fantastic, nice job. that last shot with the crowd makes me appreciate seeing them at MHOW!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:16 PM

^ Srsly. They are no Wavves or anything, but they can play!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:17 PM

in the great revolution...the first target shall be terminal 5.

-from my death bed

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:17 PM

MEHnix

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:21 PM

aMEHzing

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:22 PM

glad i didn't go both nights, they played the exact same set. they have enough material to mix it up...

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:27 PM

Natasha...great pics! You're cute as well <3

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:27 PM

MEHtasa.. great pics! You're MEHute as well <MEH3

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:38 PM

^ HA!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:44 PM

75 minute set? don't they have 3 or 4 albums? you'd think they could stretch it out to an hour and a half

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:44 PM

phoenix's choice of shirts >>> amazing baby's choice of shirts

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 1:53 PM

Phoenix is getting too mainstream.

Posted by Ernie Anastos | June 22, 2009 1:53 PM

They would, but I think the tape for their backing tracks runs out after 75 minutes.

Posted by Milli Vanilli | June 22, 2009 1:56 PM

I'm glad they don't sound like Maroon 5 any more. This new album is their best yet.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:01 PM

Amazing Baby is taking the "Bad sense of style" to an a new level.

Whoa. Cool album though.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:09 PM

Couldn't agree more. Who is working this record?

"I don't get it. Phoenix has been this good for a while. Did they get new publicists or something?"

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:17 PM

Cool MEHeadbands AMEHzing BMEhby

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:27 PM

I'm usually not one to complain that a band is getting too mainstream, because I'm glad that they are getting the success they deserve, but based on Friday night it was kinda sad in a way. Fist-pumping frat boy fucks- stick to going to see Fall Out Boy...please. There's no need for you to listen to good music.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:27 PM

Here we go again . . . the frat boys ruining the band you think you discovered. Perhaps we can get a box of Kleenex for 2:27.

Sometimes I feel I'm the only one who could care less about how cool the audience is.

Posted by Brosef | June 22, 2009 2:38 PM

In heard these guys' song on the radio. I don't get it. why are they supposedly good again?

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:45 PM

2:38- i didnt see anyone saying they discovered the band. theres a big difference in caring how cool the audience is and caring that there are a bunch of inconsiderate assholes that dont know how to act ruining other peoples concert experience.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:48 PM

What the fuck am I supposed to wear to the next concert I go to? I wear a polo and I'm a douche frat boy. I wear some tee shirt and I'm a douche hipster. Can someone tell what to wear? It would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Studweiser | June 22, 2009 2:53 PM

who would want to claim they discovered these guys?

they're clearly pretty boy no talents.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:54 PM

i'm too old for this scat. i'm sure these bands sound better than they look. maybe.

Posted by beast | June 22, 2009 2:56 PM

My apologies. Nobody said they discovered the band. What I should have said:

Here we go again . . . the frat boys ruining the concert you went to because they are not acting exactly how you want them to during the show. Perhaps we can get a box of moisturized baby ass wipes for 2:27.

Posted by Brosef | June 22, 2009 2:58 PM

2:53, wear a dark-colored, striped, button down with slim-fit-but-not-skin-tight-jeans.

Then you will be at the perfect halfway point between college-douche and hipster-douche. You will not fit into either category and thus, you will fail to look like a douche.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 2:59 PM

only people who use the word douche are the true "douches"

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:02 PM

Well, I may be a douche, but i don't look like a douche.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:08 PM

douche is a fucking stupid word. come up with something else

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:12 PM

do you people read what's written or what you want to see. this isnt about how you're dressed or how someone else "wants" you to act, its about how you should act. it's simple, at shows and just life in general- don't be an annoying asshole. period.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:27 PM

fine, replace douche with embodyment-of-a-negative-cultural-stereotype.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:27 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:36 PM

One time I was at Beauty bar and these two dudes got into an argument. One was hipster telling the other frat guy to get out of his bar.
It was kind of sad and funny.
I'm not sure who came off worse.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:37 PM

2:59 spot on...don't try to be anything and you will not be a douche

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:39 PM

Also please address the possible scenarios:

- singing
- dancing
- speaking to my friend
- holding a drink that could potentially spill
- sparking one
- clapping

Does engaging these actions make me an asshole?Thank you much.

Posted by Brosef | June 22, 2009 3:40 PM

-singing: yes, if obnoxiously out of key, and louder than the singer
- dancing: yes, if bumping into people and spilling your drink everywhere
-speaking to your friend: yes, if during the songs
-sparking one: illegal?
-clapping: go for it

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:47 PM

do whatever, wear whatever at a show - BUT the WORST is using a FUCKING CELL PHONE TO DO ANYTHING. PERIOD.

Posted by sickandtiredofcellphonedouchebags | June 22, 2009 3:54 PM

"So 3:27 . . . to be clear. If I pump my fist, I am an annoying asshole who is ruining someone else's concert experience?

Also please address the possible scenarios:

- singing
- dancing
- speaking to my friend
- holding a drink that could potentially spill
- sparking one
- clapping

Does engaging these actions make me an asshole?Thank you much."

To be clear, pumping your fist does NOT necessarily make you an annoying asshole. it just so happens that annoying assholes in mind were pumping their fists. coincidence.

- singing: absolutely not.

- dancing: absolutely not. unless what you call dancing is either jumping straight up and down on everyone else's feet, or hanging (and i mean hanging) right on someone's back and constantly shoving forward.

- speaking to my friend: throughout ever fucking song while they are playing, YES. any other time, NO.

- holding a drink that could spill: no

- sparking one: no

- clapping: really?? of course not.

you're welcome much.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 3:55 PM

if you actually bought tickets and went this show, then you deserve to have endured whatever douchebaggery went down.

these bands are trash. you are trash. the other people who like them are trash.

get over it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 4:04 PM

3:47, do you REALLY believe this? So these are the types of things I should not reasonably EXPECT at a concert?

When I think concert, I expect people who don't usually sing to sing, and people to dance, and people to chong. This is what happens at concerts.

Sometimes there are fratboys who kill the fun by getting too drunk and bumping into stuff, and sometimes there are self-rightous nerds who kill the buzz with excessive "meh"ing and crossing their arms and rolling their eyes because it ain't "cool" to let loose every once in awhile.

But you know what? That's life, and these people exist, and sometimes you just have to live with it and move on. Stop crying on BV about the type of people who were there, and start trying to recall the positive aspects of the show to share.

You know, on the 6 train this morning I accidentally inhaled a fart. It totally sucked and whoever did it should have probably held it in until the next stop. But I'm not crying about it all day.

Posted by Brosef | June 22, 2009 4:06 PM

3:54 and 3:55. Agreed. Brah.

Posted by Brosef | June 22, 2009 4:12 PM

I was there. It was a good show. They write tight, catchy songs and play them well.

Anyone know what happened during the encore? Did the lead singer try to crowd surf or something or was he walking around in the audience?

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 4:15 PM

4:15- he was just hanging out in the crowd letting everyone sing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 4:20 PM

sucky band, sucky audience

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 4:25 PM

Phoenix was ok. They are heavier live. Amazing Baby sucked. It didn't seem like anyone enjoyed them. Terminal 5 needs to come up with better opening acts.

Posted by Mark | June 22, 2009 5:04 PM

saw them in Paris a couple weeks back - this show was just as good as a home turf one. To answer 4:15, he was walking around the audience.

To answer the "why are they blowing up?" question: I just found out one of them is banging Sophia Coppola. Maybe that has something to do with it. Also they got promo at non-music stores like Opening ceremony and Collette. Maybe that helps too. And the Fader (and other mags) are on their dick.

But rightfully so - its a great album, they deserve the cred. Great summer soundtrack.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 6:00 PM

Wow, I was waiting to see who the next Maroon 5 would be

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 6:08 PM

Stage right strat wins cute-nerdy-french-guitar player award. The gals in wburg would eat him UP!

Drummer wins for playing half the show standing up.

Ditto 1:44 - the set felt short and packaged. I never realized how short their songs were until they played them live.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 6:19 PM

eh

Posted by Jay | June 22, 2009 6:36 PM

nice photos, great clarity.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 7:14 PM

i'd never heard of phoenix before like a month ago and they are playing terminal 5. not that i am a connoisseur of music or something but I read this site so i usually hear of bands...

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 8:29 PM

you must not know how to read 8:29.
or did you start reading this site a month ago?
because BV has been writing about phoenix for years.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2009 8:34 PM

They've gotten big because their new album is really good.

This comments section makes me glad I no longer live in New York.

Posted by Wiz | June 23, 2009 2:46 PM

heard their song on the radio.

no idea what you guys are so excited about. it was barely discernible modern rock pap.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2009 2:51 PM

@ 2:51 PM: Modern Rock Pap? Is that what you listen to at the Gynaecologist?

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2009 5:05 PM

ENOUGH WITH THESE CRAPPY BANDS! BOTH SUCK.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2009 5:19 PM

amazing babys drummer looks like a dickhead. no style. ugly form.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2009 5:21 PM

Amazing Baby was bad.

This was prob one of the best shows I've ever been to. Lasso and Run Run Run were bad. Out of place, really. everything else was perfect.... and 1901 was, well, 1901. Incredible.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2009 5:47 AM

It seems that some people don't enjoy others enjoying themselves. How strange that is.
If YOU like the music does it make a difference if others do or don't? And if you DON"T like the music aren't you entitled to your opinion too? It's YOUR opinion aftre all.
If you stop liking a band because their audience base grows to a "mainstream" size perhaps that may be a little fickle. Does it really matter who makes up the numbers in the audience if most everyone seems to be enjoying the event and the music. It's a shame that some folks would prefer to keep such things to themselves and get no pleasure out of seeing wide varieties of people coming together on 1 theme. But that's your opinion too.
It's about the music New York, not how you look at a gig. It's about how it makes YOU feel, not how you feel about what OTHER people think about it.
I for one didn't see any dress codes on the door, didn't see anything on the ticket about who can come and who can't come. I also believe that if you have an opinion you are very entitled to it be you douche or hipster, indie or mainstreamer.
Beethoven had his critics too you know. See if you can name 3 of them...

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 8:01 PM