Posted in music | pictures on June 19, 2009

photos by Bao Nguyen

Phoenix

"Mid-set, Phoenix singer Thomas Mars laid down down on the carpeted floor of the stage at Music Hall of Williamsburg, with his head resting on the monitor. Meanwhile, his bandmates began crafting the opening sounds of "Love Like a Sunset"--the mostly instrumental centerpiece of the band's new record Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. Mars continued to lay, as the song built up further and further, until finally Mars took to his feet for the second movement. As the instrumentation calmed, in came his voice, and just like it is on record, the moment felt like a truly glorious event. The song relies on a certain listener patience that few other Phoenix songs require, but the reward is bigger than anything else they've ever created." [NY Press]
Phoenix have been touring the United States since Bonnaroo last weekend. Last night (6/18) they played Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn (with Lightspeed Champion). They were also on Letterman. Tonight/Friday (6/19) it's Terminal 5 in Manhattan (with Amazing Baby). Both shows were/are sold out, but there are still tickets available for the show they're playing with Passion Pit (who play Bowery Ballroom tonight) at Central Park Summerstage in September.

Letterman video and more pictures from MHOW, below...

Phoenix

Lightspeed Champion opened the show.

Phoenix on Letterman

This show was awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 2:53 PM

can't believe how good this band sounded last night. pure bliss.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:01 PM

wanna bet they'll be the first band ever to sound good at TerMEHnal 5 tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:05 PM

wow, threw down the mic.. rockstar alert. dave sounded a little put out too..

Posted by monsoonseason | June 19, 2009 3:05 PM

I can't believe how good they sounded either. SOmething tells me they use alot of backing tracks or something.
They sounded a bit too much like the record, seemed a little fishy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:08 PM

I think this video sums up the whole night....awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:14 PM

if they were so great live, why is none of the audience actually watching the band (in any of the crowd photos)?

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:15 PM

I love how the girl 5 pics from the bottom has on a Presets t-shirt. The Presets fucking rock.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:25 PM

Most of the crowd you see not looking were these obnoxious bridge and tunnel pricks who were completely trashed and completely stoned. There were two groups of them and they somehow found one another to form a supergroup of obnoxious prickishness. They were annoying everyone in the crowd in that area and one of the guys was practically threatening one of the girls near me. One kid kept jumping into people then flipping out on them for bumping into him. I think he got into a bad mood when he realized he wasn't going to be sleeping with the obnoxious girls that night.

That aside, the show was incredible.

Posted by Cory | June 19, 2009 3:27 PM

set list? so excited for tonight

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:28 PM

Comments from "What's going on Thursday" post:

"Phoenix for the win...holy shit."

"Phoenix was unreal! I always enjoyed their music, but since I last saw them at Bowery a few years ago, they became a completely different band live. They were insanely good. You have to see this band live now!"

"they were great at bonnaroo too - way dancier than i expected and just a really full and driving sound. tons of fun."

"I don't think I've ever seen so many smiley faces at the MHOW. I don't see how anyone could leave that show feeling bad.
Even I felt good and I'm dead on the inside."

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:30 PM

i am a jaded showgoer but that was the best concert i've been to in a long time. everyone seemed genuinely thrilled to be there.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:37 PM

Yeah, they killed it last night.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:38 PM

at 3:27

"these obnoxious bridge and tunnel pricks "

...says the kid from Ohio

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:42 PM

No doubt. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads — they all adore them. They think Phoenix are righteous dudes.

Maybe best show I've seen this year.

Posted by bill p | June 19, 2009 3:44 PM

could anyone post the set list? I couldn't go to the show, but I'm curious. I love them.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:49 PM

Is anyone gonna say something bad about the show? Cmon dont let me down!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:54 PM

I think they definitely play to an instrumental click track. They're crafty Frenchmen.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 3:58 PM

They most likely have been using a backing track, but so be it. They sounded incredible at Bonnaroo. I'm pissed I didn't go last night, and that I'm missing tonight.

Posted by michaelways | June 19, 2009 4:00 PM

it really was a great great show. i had a lot of fun and they did sound good. almost too good but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. crowd was good the band was good and i dig how hard the drummer plays. always a plus. cheers

what was up with the 10pm doors?

Posted by ROCK STARchitect | June 19, 2009 4:01 PM

show rocked and the sound was great. crowd was pretty tame till the 1901 encore. wish everyone was as into it as I was.

Posted by steve | June 19, 2009 4:01 PM

Setlist from what I can remember

Lisztomania

1901

Epic show

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:02 PM

MEHgnifique!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:03 PM

Kentucky

....and those kids were just so stereotypical
...you must not have seen them

Posted by Cory | June 19, 2009 4:04 PM

Damn I wish I went last night b/c I'm missing the show tonight. I'll be too busy getting my freak on at Passion Pit.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:07 PM

Cory I definitely agree but I was surrounded by a good group who was just dancing and having a good time. On the other hand i did see one of the folks you are talking about get caught lighting a joint and the security made him pay 60 bucks not to kick him out. I got a feeling the "security" fella didn't even work there.

Posted by ROCK STARchitect | June 19, 2009 4:09 PM

They are talented musicians who have been playing for a long time. They didn't use a backing track they are just far better than all the lo-fi experimental garbage coming out of Brooklyn

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:11 PM

Definitely one of the best concerts of the year. Amazing.

Setlist:

Sometimes In The Fall
Rome

Encore:
If I Ever Feel Better
1901

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:15 PM

their drummer is a BEAST.

Posted by j | June 19, 2009 4:21 PM

Anyone know the times for tonight? Terminal 5 website says Amazing Baby at 8:30... that band is most definitely *not* amazing and I don't want to get there til after they finish. But also don't want to miss Phoenix.. thanks!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:23 PM

I yawned through the whole show.

Not that they were boring, it's just a nervous condition I have. Being in large groups of people makes me nervous. So, I'm sorry if I yawned in anyone here's face last night.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:26 PM

Does anyone know who their drummer is? I tried to find out but there seems to be no info on him.
He is a machine.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:30 PM

more fag rock. they suck.

Posted by alcohol anon | June 19, 2009 4:37 PM

i was watching this last night and i got the impression that something was prerecorded. the drummer was wailing away but the beat was perfect. like too perfect. and i saw an MPC 2000 back there.

can someone comfirm this is 'Live'?

btw it think its sounds great

Posted by the truth | June 19, 2009 4:41 PM

>>>>for the Truth
This is 100% live, they're just great musicians playing together for more than 10 years now (used to be Air backing band)

They're on stage at 9.40pm tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:49 PM

Drummer is Thomas Hedlund, from Sweden

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:51 PM

I'll be yelling... "you suck cocks" throughout the whole show tonight. I love the band, I just have Tourette's.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 4:56 PM

9:40 phoenix set time

can anyone confirm this?

also want to miss amazing baby

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 5:29 PM

i saw an MPC 2000 back there.

He sure did on Letterman. It sounded real perfect and both of the guitar's didnt seem do be doing as much as the sound put out. So theres either a lot of keyboards or a backing track for sure.
Sounded good though.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 5:33 PM

they didn't play "Everything Is Everything"???

Man, that was THE feel good hit of that hot, nasty summer of '04.

stiff drinks, good pussy, steamy subways, expensive blow...

pardon me, I'm reminiscing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 5:40 PM

If you're like me, you like going to shows and facing other audience members. Fuck the band! They got my money, now I have to give them my attention too?

I'll be there tonight talkin' on my phone.

I'll be sayin', "What? What? I can't hear you! There's some needy band begging for my attention. Losers!"

See you there!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 5:46 PM

fellas

of course they use backing tracks. that doesn't mean the drummer/guitarists/bassist aren't also playing, or talented, or whatever.

but there is an MPC (a sampler) sitting prominently next to the drummer. in any band or artist i've ever worked with. been in, or seen live, an MPC (or a laptop, or anything of the sort) is sending a click track to the drummer via headphones and sending a few 'backing tracks' to the front of house. this is usually synth lines and samples that no one on stage can play live or they'd rather not have to multitask. it doesn't mean they aren't a good band or that the drummer suckz or WHATEVER.

i will agree, however, that on the letterman clip there is something weirdly pro happening - the way the chorus vocals are doubled sounds like he MIGHT be singing along with another version of himself pre-recorded (or the vocal itself is doubled live with some amount of minute pitch shifting?). yes, i know the bassist was also 'singing' along, but if the bassist can sing that tightly in tune and phrasing with the singer, he should start his own band.

love, this guy

Posted by this guy | June 19, 2009 5:50 PM

I mean, look. There's no "rule" against using backing tracks. It's not like they're lipsynching. It's just filling out the sound a little better and makes them less prone to being victims of shitty sound.

"they didn't play "Everything Is Everything"???"

Not nearly enough shit from "Alphabetical" in that setlist. I know that they got a whole bunch of new fans thanks to Pitchfork blowing a load all over their new album, but come on. Alphabetical ruled.

Posted by Dude Manbro | June 19, 2009 6:01 PM

maybe more bands should use backing tracks. all the pros do apparently!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 6:20 PM

Brittney Spears does. Also Madonna and Elton John,
The Cheeky Girls,and Milli Vanilli.Only one vanili now.
The Eurovision Song Contest requires backing tracks too.
Uh oh!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 6:54 PM

Terminal 5's vmail says Non-amazing Baby at 8:30, Phoenix at 9:30.

Okay it doesn't say Non-amazing Baby. That's me making a stupid (but accurate) joke.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 7:18 PM

ugh, I'm so sad I missed this! I was told that they were going on at 12 midnight and I had work. So pissed.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 7:21 PM

They did go on around midnight at the Music Hall.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 7:29 PM

Beck has been playing with backing tracks for a long time... i think its all about what context you use them & if they enhance an already great band with great tunes (like Phoenix) as a opposed some by the numbers top 40 crap

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2009 7:34 PM

"I hope the "enhancement" is only a small synth line and not much more. It shouldnt be on the vocals for this indie band."

Posted by Dan Delicious | June 19, 2009 10:41 PM

who?

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2009 2:25 AM

Totally boring. but hot drummer, id suck him off in a heartbeat.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2009 11:33 AM

if you buy the record you can see in the dvd that thomas is trying some vocals with this http://www.tc-helicon.com/voicelive.asp... i dont see any problem if he uses it live, only the really good singers can use that machine well... if you sing bad and out of tune and use that machine than you will sound like cher!
and whats the problem in using backing tracks? the bass and the guitars are played all live, and most of the keyboards too, if not it will not make sense to have a extra musician only for keyboards.
the drummer is really good and the drums sound really good and like the record because they have the drums triggered (you can see that on letterman) what you hear is a mix from the real drum sound and the sound from the drums in the record. but all played live!

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2009 12:18 PM

The drummer is Thomas Hedlund from epic art metal band Cult of Luna.

Posted by John | June 20, 2009 12:23 PM

Posted by planet wallpaper | June 30, 2010 11:39 AM

Hate to break this to you, but regardless of their Pitchfork score/indie street cred, they're a pop band with 4 major label albums. They're by no means an "indie band."//

Posted by free 3d wallpaper | June 30, 2010 11:41 AM