Posted in music on July 14, 2009

Leslie Feist & Grizzly Bear's Ed Droste on the Cyclone - July 13, 2009
Feist and Ed Droste

Like she will Tuesday on Letterman (tonight, 7/14), Leslie Feist joined Wilco on stage at Keyspan Park in Coney Island on Monday night (7/13) for a few songs. Edward Droste of Grizzly Bear played with them too. Collectively they performed Woody Guthrie's "California Stars". Yo La Tengo opened the show, and then also joined Wilco on stage during the encore. Pictures and more from the show coming soon HERE. Full setlist below.

Earlier in the evening Feist and Ed rode The Cyclone, the famous Coney Island roller coaster (as you can see in the picture above). If you've never been on it, this Saturday during the Siren Festival might be a good time to change that.

For Grizzly Bear and Feist, it was just another example of a growing history of collaborations that includes multiple TV appearances, touring, recorded stuff, and on stage appearances. It's not clear if Ed will be on Letterman tonight too, but we do know that Feist and Wilco will perform the new Wilco song "You and I" on the show. They performed the same song together in Coney Island, and for the first time, in LA on June 25th. Video from that earlier one below.

Two nights before playing in Brooklyn, Feist reunited again with Broken Social Scene on stage at the Harbourfront Centre show in Toronto. For Feist it was at least the second time recently she played with her old band. To make this one even more special though, Emily Haines and Amy Millan were also all up there on stage at the same time - it was a proper BSS reunion. Videos below.

Above mentioned videos, and Wilco's entire Keyspan Park setlist, and video of Ed and Feist singing backup on "You Never Know", below...

Anthems - Broken Social Scene f. Emily Haines, Feist and Amy Millan

Wilco & Feist @ The Wiltern in LA

Wilco - You Never Know (clip) - with Feist and Ed Droste, Brooklyn 7/13/09

Wilco-Brooklyn 7/13/09 Keyspan Park -setlist (via)
Wilco (the song)

2nd Encore:
The Late Greats
Hoodoo Voodoo*

@-Feist on vocals
*-Feist and Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear on backup vocals and percussion
#- Yo La Tengo played

More Wilco show coverage coming The pictures from this show are now up HERE. More dates HERE.

Great, great show. YLT were amazing, Wilco were amazing, even better than they were at McCarren last year. Did I mention it was a great show?

Posted by cj | July 14, 2009 12:48 AM

Anyone got the YLT setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 12:53 AM

they also did 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' after Impossible Germany

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:05 AM

i have heard of other people getting injured on it too... not to mention the mechanical problems it has had over the last few years... and someone died on it a few years ago... from a broken neck...

tear this piece of crap down!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:07 AM

YLT joining Wilco for Spiders (Kidsmoke) was brilliant. Great show!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:10 AM

was it just me, or was tweedy exceptionally happy tonigh? he even complimented the crowd on multiple occasions. great show though...edward and leslie were nice surprises.

Posted by steve m | July 14, 2009 1:12 AM

you guys work fast

Posted by impressive | July 14, 2009 1:21 AM

wonderful show. one of the best i've ever been to.

grizzly ed was absolutely POINTLESS though. and trust me, i watched him. he was basically brought on stage to do that awkward half dance knee slap that he does so well, and chit-chat with feist. he didn't even sing! (well, he did extremely delicately). i wonder what the point of it was. by the time they got to "you never know", he just ceded the microphone to feist.

seriously though, i nearly pooped my goddamn pants when yo la tengo came out for spiders. and during the entire rest of the show. and during yo la tengo's set as well. fantastic live band, fantastic audience. and on coney island! a night i will not soon forget.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:28 AM

that show was worth every penny and more. Almost 3 hours that just kept getting better and better. what a great night out!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:32 AM

I have been to many a Wilco show and this was by far the hardest I have seen / heard them rock. Jeff Tweedy was acting more of a rockstar than ever and you could NOT ask for a better night to see a show. Great sound. Great setlist. Great time. Thank you Wilco!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:34 AM

the sound for Wilco tonight was excellent. I wish other shows had sound this good. Yo la Tengo brought Spiders to a completely different level.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:37 AM

yo la tengo setlist anyone?

"autumn sweater", an absolutely EPIC "story of yo la tango" last, the new ones "periodically double or triple" and "nothing to hide", "mr. tough", "tom courtenay" (amazing solo! oh my god!)

what else? there are at least 5 more.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:40 AM

Yo La Tengo also played "American Band' and "From A Motel 6"

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:49 AM

Amazing show. Sooo.. much better than McCarren last year. Up there with the Warsaw show.

I think it's "Sunny Feeling" vs Sonny Feeling.

Posted by anonymous | July 14, 2009 2:10 AM

1:28.. have you not been to a grizzly bear show? ed droste just stands there and pretends to play a piece of percussion. oh and he can play an omnichord, how talented.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 2:44 AM

yes, i have been to a few grizzly bear shows. that's why i said "he does so well", meaning that is ALL he does. can't stand watching him on stage, almost makes me uncomfortable.

and in addition to pretending to play percussion and the omnichord, don't forget the few ugly note squawks he does in "while you wait for the others." oh, or the power-chords in "knife". that sums up what he does besides singing.

uh, VERY talented.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 2:57 AM

Yeah, he has no talent. Only people with the ability to write comments on blogs have talent.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 3:02 AM

the show was fucking great. sound was great, such a god damn beautiful night, got myself the free wilco program. the only negative was the subway back home. upset no via chicago, but i am glad that spending $55 made me happy.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 3:14 AM

YLT setlist as best as I could piece it together:

?
Mr. Tough
We're An American Band
Little Eyes
Autumn Sweater
new-Periodically Double Or Triple
From A Motel 6
new-Nothing To Hide
Tom Courtenay
The Story of Yo La Tango

Anybody know what they opened with? (It had a lyric something like "I know you're wounded, I'm wounded too.")

Posted by paul | July 14, 2009 3:41 AM

The audio quality of this show from half way between the pitchers mound and the stage was absolutely fucking perfect for Wilco.

The Yo Lo Tengo mix was weak from this location in the venue.

The show was definitely better than the show at McCarren last year (IMHO).

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 3:43 AM

I saw everyone with the free program - but I walked around between sets and never found any!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 5:27 AM

Sounded like an epic show, what time did it start/end?

Posted by chris | July 14, 2009 5:27 AM

Wilco got on 830 and ended 1055...

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 6:38 AM

one of the best shows i've ever seen.... ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 7:07 AM

the nod to mermaid avenue was brilliant, and california stars was simply unbelievable, by far the best wilco show i've seen yet. amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 7:52 AM

Wilco really stepped it up for last night's show... Every single song was perfectly executed as always, but the energy the band put into their music last is something I haven't seen them accomplish to such success. Thank you Wilco, thank you Leslie and Ed... best show this summer.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 8:07 AM

Thank god no haters this time! Wilco really delivered it last night....I can see them headlining Coachella next year for sure.

Jeff seemed really upbeat too last night.....He said something along the lines of "Does anyone live in Coney Island?" Crowd either booed or didn't say anything hahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 8:18 AM

Wilco definitely had a little extra pop in the playing last night. Better than the McCarren show. Great show all around.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 8:20 AM

Yo La Tengo, Wilco, Grizzly Bear and Feist combined? This is like the pinnacle of white rock.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 8:20 AM

Wilco ruled! And I love Grizzly Bear but Schnozz has got to learn an instrument or stage moves or something, he just looks embarrassing onstage.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 8:38 AM

Great, great show sound was fantastic everyone singing along great night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 8:39 AM

Amazing amazing amazing show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 9:00 AM

WILCO is hands down the best live band today period. What an awesome show last night. Perfect weather, great sound, great venue.

Can't wait to see them again on Saturday.

Posted by Kurt C. | July 14, 2009 9:06 AM

GRIZZLY BEAR = AWFUL. BEYOND DULL.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 9:10 AM

Adult contemporary party

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 9:30 AM

1:07:

The modern human? Seriously? Are you kidding?

You speak as if this rollercoaster was built in the age of cavemen...

Do you honestly think that the size of a human being has changed that much in 82 years? The Cyclone was built in 1927, not when dinosaurs walked the earth. In the grand scheme of things, the people that walked the earth in the 1920's were considered 'modern humans' much like we are..

The Cyclone is perfectly fine. thousands of people ride it every year.... few complain of back problems, and there is one fatality. Should they stop flights and tear down Kennedy Airport after there is a plane crash?

Gimmee a break.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 9:43 AM

yes, Kennedy Airport must go!!!!! Let's grassroots the fuck out of this thing, brothers and sisters!!!!!!

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | July 14, 2009 9:51 AM

Does anyone think there is a snowball's chance in hell that Feist joins Wilco at Dutchess stadium on Saturday? I personally don't, but I'm allowed to be optimistic, right?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 9:53 AM

Add "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" to setlist.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 9:56 AM

This show was fantastic. Yes, Tweedy seemed to be in a great mood. Talkative. Playing guitar with his teeth/behind his head. Balancing the guitar on his head. The sound was tremendous, the crowd was into it, great setlist...This might be my favorite show of the year so far.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 9:56 AM

Droste was wasted. did he even know the words? very awkward person. way to rock that maraca.

didn't ruin the epicness of the night tho. 2.5 of balls out Wilco. Thanks guys.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:00 AM

Such a cool venue to see them. And, yeah...Wilco were amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:02 AM

where's the news about that douchetard from WAVVVVVVVVES breaking his wrist?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:05 AM

Agree that:

1) Cyclone will fuck up your back (seriously! It's not about what size you are, it's about there being no shock absorption. It's brutal.)

2) Ed Droste added nothing musically (but visually it was pretty funny to see him loooooming over Feist)

3) Tweedy was goofily happy

4) Killer venue

5) AMAZING CONCERT. And I wasn't even a big fan of either band going in.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:07 AM

Young, black, and famous, with money hanging out the anus.

Posted by Jock Strap the Third | July 14, 2009 10:12 AM

Great great show. I wouldn't even mention Ed from Grizzly Bear since he added nothing to the show except awkwardness.

Killer version of Yo La Tango as well, but please, can they stop playing Mr. Tough? They play it at every show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:16 AM

Really amazing show all-around. But, was anyone else a little disappointed with Feist? I couldn't really hear her vocals in the otherwise-excellent mix, and she didn't do much more than the Grizzly Bear dude, honestly.

Not to be a hater; I don't really follow BSS or Feist but I guess I expected more. But, damn, what a show...

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:16 AM

I'm 6'1" (no lies) and I never had a problem with the Cyclone. Besides, it's not that great (except for the history behind it).

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:18 AM

>Yo La Tengo, Wilco, Grizzly Bear and Feist
>combined? This is like the pinnacle of white rock.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:23 AM

the back cars of the cyclone whip you around a lot more than the front cars.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:24 AM

I concur Jeff and Wilco had it all going on, much more of a rocker than the McCarren Pool 2008 show.
Thanks Wilco. New material is good live and good to hear. Walken, Nova, Hate It, Misunderstood, California, What You Said, Jesus all were highlight. Feist was strange, didn't recognize her, haven't seen her in a long time, didn't recognize the voice either. Very strange for me, wouldn't believe it was her until I was told and confirmed by this and many other sources.

Posted by rescueblues | July 14, 2009 10:29 AM

My ranking...
1) Bjork/Sigur Row 2001 or 2002 don't remember
2) Wilco last night
3) Daft Punk
4) Pixies/Gang of Four/Built to Spill/Rilo Kiley (Across the Narrows Day 1)
5) White Stripes
6) Beck/Belle & Sebastian (Across the Narrows Day 2)

Posted by Hmmmm | July 14, 2009 10:29 AM

pussy

"NEVER ride the the Cyclone... it's an artifact that should be torn down... it was built for people 5 feet tall... it is dangerous for the modern human... it will screw up your back alignment... i never had back problems before i rode the thing... and when i rode in in 2006, it seriously wrecked my back... i could not stand up straight or walk properly for a week.

tear this piece of crap down!"

Posted by TWB | July 14, 2009 10:31 AM

"Where would you rank that Wilco show last night for people that have seen other bands play there...

My ranking...
1) Bjork/Sigur Row 2001 or 2002 don't remember
2) Wilco last night
3) Daft Punk
4) Pixies/Gang of Four/Built to Spill/Rilo Kiley (Across the Narrows Day 1)
5) White Stripes
6) Beck/Belle & Sebastian (Across the Narrows Day 2)"

above daft punk, are you kidding me?!?!?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:34 AM

yes, they rocked out last night... they were on... unlike the mccarren show where they just showed up... special guests are always fun and add a little excitement

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:44 AM

...why are my triceps, upper arms so sore this morning?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 10:58 AM

I hope no one noticed the raging boner I had the entire concert.

Posted by Raging Clue Goo | July 14, 2009 11:01 AM

Such a long set. Long sets= lots of time to drink. , so many drunk people being carried out. I think I saw 7 people escorted or carried out.

Had so much fun. The guests were such a fun surprise. Feist and Ed were hilarious dancing around and singing and Jeff Tweedy was grinning from ear to ear. Such a memorable evening. Definitely got my money's worth. Could have been louder though. Did anyone else find it too muted in the bleacher area?

Ride home sucked.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:08 AM

I didn't like yo la tengo :(

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:10 AM

THE RIDE HOME WAS SO GAY. SO MANY HOMOS ON THE TRAIN RUINING MY DRANKING SESSIONS. WHERE'S GOODIE? SUPPOSED TO SMOKE THE STICKY ICKY.

Posted by Andrew Wenri | July 14, 2009 11:12 AM

"Did anyone else find it too muted in the bleacher area?"

Why did you get Bowl seats? The field section was much better since you can get closer. Feist and Ed were useless.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:15 AM

feist and ed had to have been told like just before they went on stage! cut em some slack! it was just a fun thing to do. tweedy seemed like he was loving it!

Posted by ben | July 14, 2009 11:24 AM

i smoked weed with tweedy before the show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:24 AM

I love Ed Droste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:25 AM

">Yo La Tengo, Wilco, Grizzly Bear and Feist
>combined? This is like the pinnacle of white rock.

Oh yeah. Easily the whitest Coney Island has been since the Cyclone first debuted there."

YEAH I WISH THEY HAD CALLED UP ERYKAH BADU AND MOS DEF TO STAGE

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:27 AM

"i smoked weed with tweedy before the show."

riiigght. try harder. think we all know about Tweedy's drug habits by now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:28 AM

To my eyes the whole guests come on stage thing was meant for show and fun and solidarity. I can't imagine any of the artists rehearsing this with the band, other than Feist having performed "you and I" in LA once with them. To me it all seemed like good fun and certainly had a festive atmosphere. I know I was smiling as were people around to see all these people get together....I guess I should learn to become more bitter and angry like other commenters here?

Posted by B | July 14, 2009 11:31 AM

Amazing show. Best of the year so far. I think YLT's best days are behind them though. Or maybe they were just a little rusty last night? Its been several years since I had last seen them.

Ed from Grizzly Bear added zero to the show, as did Feist. Still, looked like they were having a good time.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:35 AM

wilco still plays about 4 songs too long

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:38 AM

"wilco still plays about 4 songs too long"

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:48 AM

PHiSH with Jay-Z at Coney Island was great fun.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 11:50 AM

11:35: YLT still put on killer shows as YLT and Condo Fucks. However, the soundboard was geared for Wilco, who sounded perfect in the field, not YLT. Unfortunately, YLT’s sound was muddied last night…

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 12:16 PM

Love all these positive comments.
The power of Tweedy.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 12:28 PM

It was a "good times" show. Right down to the goofy but fun special appearances. Didn't really matter how much anyone added or didn't, it was about the "good times" vibe tweedy was BRINGING to the Coney last night. Everyone wins. Except those complaining, go fuck off

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 12:29 PM

Last night's show was an absolute joke. Wilco were way too positive and friendly. In your face attitude is the only way to go.

I only saw a few people smoking weed as well. The heady nuggs are supposed to be the highlight of all concerts but it was sorely lacking. I only saw one dude doing blow as well which was an epic downer.

I tried getting my money back from Ticketmaster but had no luck.

Posted by Steve Polychronopolis | July 14, 2009 12:41 PM

dude I totally tweeted this epic tweedy encore!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 1:40 PM

the tour shirts were crap... what happened to the camel? who's the designer?
tweedy should know a cool tour shirt equals extra dough...

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 2:18 PM

you mean tweeded?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 2:18 PM

YLT opened with Here To Fall, which is the first song off their forthcoming record. Aside from that the setlist above is correct...

Love Keyspan. Wish there were more shows there.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 4:48 PM

i saw them on saturday night in lowell...they were similarly on their game, but unfortunately the show got rained out (despite the tickets saying "rain or shine") before they could play a legitimate encore besides an epic, drenched version of "i'm the man who loves you". add that to yo la tengo undoubtedly being a better opener than Conor Oberst and His Generic Alt-Country Band and i'm quite friggin jealous. would've killed to chant "NOTHING!" during misunderstood in the pouring rain...alas.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2009 6:26 PM

BEST SHOW OF THE SUMMER

Posted by Urban Griller | July 14, 2009 6:49 PM

Wilco (the best).

The dueling guitar solos between Nels Cline and Pat Sansone during Hoodoo Voodoo will keep me smiling for a long time.

My love for Wilco and Coney Island is everlasting.

Posted by The Dude | July 14, 2009 7:04 PM

That show was facemeltingly awesome, and I know it wasn't just the molly.

Posted by Justin | July 15, 2009 1:46 AM