Posted in music | pictures on July 1, 2009

photos by Toby Tenenbaum, words by Black Bubblegum

"Great fucking show. And! Hotboxed my first port-a-potty. Fun!" - Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:17 AM

Explosions in the Sky

The rain let up, the band came out, and a wonderful evening of music in Central Park ensued. Explosions in the Sky, the Austin based quartet, brought its rolling, meandering, lyric-free virtuousity to the heart of NYC and held a packed crowd in rapt attention at the Rumsey Playfield... Wordless music is often an acquired taste to an audience with limited attention spans and a multitude of distractions. But the sheer power of this band, with intricate interlocking guitar lines and a brilliant drummer has won over a sizable following. I saw them a few years back at the intimate Bowery Ballroom, but this show in the park even topped last year's sold out and packed show at Terminal 5. Fun indeed!
[The Notaworry Blog]
Explosions In The Sky, Constantines and Castanets topped off a noteworthy triple bill at Central Park's Summerstage amidst the rain last night (6/30), creating a little artificial sunshine of their own. The current round of EITS shows is to commemorate the band's tenth anniversary and it showed at Summerstage; the band pulled equally from their prior releases with special attention paid to their 2001 mouthful-of-an-LP-especially-for-a-instrumental-band Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever. Full setlist below.

EITS has an additional few dates on the current leg of their US tour, concluding in their native Austin, Texas on July 4th. If there are fireworks (explosions in the sky...) after the show, that will make it the second time this year that happened to them in their hometown. After that, Austin's instrumental finest will head back on the road, though this time with inflatable plastic bubbles, confetti guns, and skeleton suits in tow.... meaning with The Flaming Lips.

Constantines were recently featured on Volume 6 of the Arts & Crafts sampler curated by Kevin Drew (of Broken Social Scene). Downloadable for free, the sampler contains unreleased tracks by Amy Millan (of Stars), The Hidden Cameras, and The Most Serene Republic as well as contributions for The Stills, Apostle of Hustle, Los Campesinos! and many others. Get that here.

Castanets are going on a tour in July that includes a hometown show at Cake Shop here in NYC.

The EITS setlist and more Summerstage pictures below...

Central Park Summer Stage

Castanets

Castanets

Castanets

Constantines...

Explosions in the Sky...

Explosions in the Sky

Explosions In The Sky @ Central Park Summerstage, 6/30/09 Set (via)
Yasmin the Light
The Birth and Death of the Day
A Song For Our Fathers
Your Hand in Mine
Greet Death
Snow and Lights
A Poor Man's Memory
Catastrophe and the Cure
The Only Moment We Were Alone

Fucking spectacular show. awesome setlist.

Posted by jonathan | July 1, 2009 12:47 PM

amazing...

Posted by mark | July 1, 2009 12:49 PM

top pic is unreal

Posted by mcg | July 1, 2009 1:02 PM

worst crowd ever

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:03 PM

Technical issues were unfortunate. The mix was terrible at times. FNL demographic was definitely in attendence. Regardless, great night of music and an outstanding setlist.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:05 PM

WOW

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:06 PM

LOL @ paying money for this.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:21 PM

What's a Varghese?

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:22 PM

great show, but people don't know how to shut the hell up

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:24 PM

a little short, but awesome

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:34 PM

Amazing show

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:37 PM

top pic is awesome, but too many photos..

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:43 PM

no memorial?

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:57 PM

soooo much weed. i don't think had ever smelled/seen so much weed at another concert before... unfortunately none of it was mine :(

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 1:58 PM

crowd sucked, people around me talked out loud the entire EITS set. Great band and setlist but I'll pass the next time they are around cause the crowd doesn't know how to listen to music with no vocals.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 2:35 PM

Great show, despite the sound problems. Was a bit disappointed that it was so short and they did not play Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean! :(

The intro for Greet Death was the fastest guitar playing I had ever seen! Whoaa. His hand was a blur, like that incredibly awesome top picture.

Also, if the guy who was yelling out "Memorial" is out there, fuck off! I'm glad they didn't play it.

Crowd was full of talking jerks. There was a group, behind me and to the left, that was talking all through the show. Here's a thought, how about staying back in the stands, let the people who went to hear the band enjoy themselves.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 2:43 PM

damn...can't believe they didnt play first breath after coma. that's like their hit..lol...they were so great live when i saw them in a theatre a couple years ago. no one talked. i can imagine a bad crowd might ruin this.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 2:48 PM

This was my first concert and it was amazing except for the fact the I was surrounded by smoke- cigs and pot.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 2:49 PM

complain about smoking outdoors

complain about people talking during a show b/c that doesn't happen at every other show you've ever been to

pronounce to the thread that you are glad that you didn't go

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 3:24 PM

complain about smoking outdoors

pronounce to the thread that you are glad that you didn't go

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 3:24 PM

i wasn't there, and have no regrets. and i highly doubt that this show was better than any of the bowery shows i've seen this band play live. summerstage sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 3:30 PM

they totally killed it. soo good.

Posted by meghan | July 1, 2009 3:34 PM

i was in the front (the very tall guy with the mogwai tee) and i had to yell at this kid to shut the fuck up so afterwards it got better (for my area)

show was spectacular nonetheless and i enjoyed almost every second of it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 3:41 PM

lol all it really takes is a "shut the fuck up"

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 3:46 PM

Constantines setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 3:55 PM

I heard you tell them to STFU so i guess we were in the same area. Thank you.Those kids were really annoying. Great show, otherwise.

Posted by jenn | July 1, 2009 3:57 PM

how the hell did you guys make that first picture ?

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 3:59 PM

3:59 -

Take 10 seconds to think about it, it's not really that difficult.

Signed,

It doesn't take a photographer, dumby.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 4:11 PM

i was disappointed by the show. There was absolutely zero interaction with the audience. He said something before the show started and after it ended and that's it. There was a lot of chattering and smoke. everything was wet. Honestly I felt much more enjoyment listening to the songs on my mp3 player.

i listen to explosions in the sky a lot, but often times when i'm on the subway or doing something. this was the first (and probably last) time i've seen them live and they couldn't hold my attention the whole show. they played fine but just lacked energy and charisma. I don't expect or want them to go crazy but audience interaction is a huge part of a live show. That's why we don't stay at home and listen to the CDs. As a live show, I just don't think it was very good. The atmosphere was lacking, partly because of audience (a lot of talking and smoking) and partly because of the band almost ignoring the audience. I was actually kind of waiting for it to end (and it was a really short set).

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 4:27 PM

4:27

you dont go to many shows do you?

NYC crowds fucking suck

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 4:44 PM

Anon 4:27

You've never see EITS live have you?

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 5:13 PM

I liked the show. I liked Terminal 5 and Warsaw a little better but it was a nice evening. Sucked his guitar crapped out. Was it me or was there nobody helping him with that sound issue?

Yeah 4:27 - They don't talk to the crowd much whenever they play, usually say hi thanks for coming and bye. His speech in the beginning was the most I've seen him talk actually. It's not like they ahve a lot to say about songs with no words.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 5:22 PM

Nice to see M. Night Shyamalan make it out.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 5:22 PM

it's not that they don't have anything to say or are ignoring the crowd... they just create an atmosphere where it's basically non-stop music with all the songs kinda melting into each other

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 5:29 PM

also, that's the reason they never have an encore, since they feel it cheapens it

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 5:30 PM

Yeah a lot of potheads. I was in the middle of the crowd. Personally I like to keep my smoking indoors but it didn't really bother me, they were all pretty quiet and burnt out during the set. I'll take that over chatter.

But the kids in front of me smoked two blunts during the pretty short set. To paraphrase Gallagher:

"Smoking weed when you're already stoned doesn't get you higher it just lowers your amount of weed".

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 5:31 PM

@5:31 apparently you were standing next to me, far too many drunk/high/chain smoking 17yr olds.

wasnt EITS best show by any means, but as always they rocked. Would have liked to see the idiots get tossed by security.

Props to the guy who told that idiot to stfu. I appreciated it.

oh and someone please put castro-suck out of the misery, damn they had a bad night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 6:01 PM

yeah, it was my first time at an EITS show. I go to a show maybe once a month so I've been to dozens and I think this was one of the most talkative crowds i've ever been to.

hmm, thats interesting what 5:31 says about EITS trying to create an atmosphere of non stop music where songs melt into each other... it sounds like something like that would be awesome (in theory at least)... i don't know why last night wasn't. Maybe it was just me (though audience talking a lot didn't help).

The weird thing about the marijuana is that the smell seemed pretty constant. Since it was outdoors I expected it to dissipate but it didn't seem to. Not where I was anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 6:02 PM

Constantines setlist? Anyone know?

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 9:34 PM

for about an hour and a half, i got a chance to forget that michael jackson died. show was great.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 10:23 PM

great setlist explosions...regardless of the guitar tech issues you are pure joy. amateur audience...apparently not used to wordless music (hint...hint for those who know). please my friends learn how to listen to this gift.

showered splendor!

Posted by cristiano | July 1, 2009 10:30 PM

I thought they were phenomenal. Fuck the crowd and the pot. I regret not bringing any myself. The band was great, I don't give a shit about them not talking to the audience, the music and smiles spoke for themselves.
As for the tall guy who told that one kid to shut the fuck up. Ha. Thanks for the comedic relief during a really epic ass show.

Posted by Melina | July 1, 2009 11:16 PM

Posted by Melina | July 1, 2009 11:16 PM

It was an OK show, nothing special. The show should have been in August, when the sunset comes earlier in the day. Still a great show, but past EITS shows were better, especially the ones at the Knitting Factory. Best I saw them was during the "Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever" tour when they opened up for Trail of Dead.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2009 11:31 PM

Amazing. After the rain stopped, the bowl came out and so did the amazing music.

Posted by Will | July 1, 2009 11:59 PM

The castanets were horrible.
It was nice to see Magic Johnson though did anyone catch him?
Awesome set, although the crowd was talkative I thought it was an awesome show. I'd love to see them play again.
Lol at the guy shouting play Memorial hahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2009 12:10 AM

I yelled for people to STFU before they went on, esp. if they wanted a decent bootleg from the show. i understand why ppl complain about cig smoke but pot smoke shouldnt bother anybody. they should make marijuana scented cologne cuz that shit smells goood.haha. but seriously great show but terminal 5 was better. anyone see me in my throwback michael jordan jersey?

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2009 1:51 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2009 4:22 AM

complaining about pot smoke? yeah there were a few but nothing like the 70's every concert in NYC was full of pot smoke.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2009 9:40 AM

"Last night taught me that EITS is definitely better live in a more intimate setting. I saw them at The Tralf in Buffalo last year. Sound was amazing... it was so beautiful people around shed some happy tears lol. They were still great to see again though!!"

agreed. same goes for mogwai. most post rock totally sucks at a big venue but is amazing at smaller more intimate venues

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2009 9:48 AM

i shouted for memorial. i didn't realize that was bad form. whoops.

my first experience seeing my favorite band. thank god for porta-potties. i salute all the fans i spoke to that came from all over the place (including idaho!) to brave the rain and see a great show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2009 11:09 AM

Rain put a damper on it but still a good show.

Posted by This Music Sucks | July 2, 2009 1:43 PM

that's not M. Night Shamalamayan, that's Kal Penn.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2009 6:55 PM

the setting was awful with the rain and the screaming. it was my first explosions concert and first time seeing any band like them but i knew i was supposed to shut the fuck up. and the pot really wasn't that bad compared to slightly stoopid shows. didn't see anyone not smoking there. i'd like to see a show where people can just appreciate the music and not ruin the moment. i'll keep listening on my ipod for now though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 1:08 AM

The best show I have ever been to. Fortunately, worth getting rained on for hours =]

I love explosions!

Posted by Alexandra Santiago | July 5, 2009 6:42 PM

It was my first time seeing them, and enjoyed almost every moment of it (aside from the downpours waiting in line and during the Castanets).
I only wish the bouncer up front towards the left could have not complained constantly through the show about how "these guys suck... There's no singing?!"
I would much rather enjoy them in a smaller venue obviously, but we had great time nonetheless.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 4:42 AM

the fact that no one is talking about how amazing the Constantines are shows what a bunch of numb nuts are on this board.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 6:54 AM

What the hell is wrong with you people saying that the setting was awful? The sun was setting and the sky was beautiful as the light faded out and Explosions' music faded in. Outdoor shows are awesome, and heck, the astroturf stuff on the ground was great if you consider what it would have been like without it.

Also, the sound outside was great, because the music just blasts outward and doesn't bounce back at you off the walls like it does indoors.

I had an awesome time at the show... I gave my gf a back massage to the rhythm for a while and otherwise just tranced out and enjoyed a really awesome performance. They were really on!

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2009 1:37 PM

As for people complaining about "potheads"... Simply being someone who smokes pot doesn't make them a pothead. People are able to enjoy it without being a burnout, just like others can enjoy a few beers without being a lush or an alcoholic. And guess what, the stoned people aren't the people talking during the show.

Also, if you think EITS doesn't smoke themselves, you're dreaming... Or the guy from the Constantines(?) wearing the Zig-Zag t-shirt in the pics above... Hint, that's a brand of rolling papers.

If you don't like it, there's probably a Jonas Brothers concert coming up for you!

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2009 1:49 PM

The photos are awesome! I would like to be on some of them! )))

Posted by Richard | June 30, 2010 2:16 PM