Posted in music | pictures on July 29, 2009

photos by Tim Griffin

Green Day

"Tony Award-winning orchestrator and composer Tom Kitt, whose Next to Normal is playing Broadway, has joined the creative team of the new Green Day musical American Idiot, as music supervisor.

On July 28, Berkeley Repertory Theatre in California announced the creative team for the September-October world premiere of American Idiot, inspired by Green Day's Grammy Award-winning album of the same name and directed by Tony Award winner Michael Mayer, who collaborated with Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong on the project's story." [Playbill]

Green Day (headliner) and the Kaiser Chiefs (opener) completed their two-night run at Madison Square Garden in NYC last night (7/28). For Green Day it was their second multiple-night visit to the city this year. The first time was in much smaller venues. More pictures and Green Day's setlist from the show, below...

Green Day

dwight schroot on keys for kaiser chiefs?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:06 AM

GREAT Show. Played for almost 3hrs, tons of energy, exceeded expectations by far. So glad I got to go...

Posted by Funderburgh | July 29, 2009 11:08 AM

I like the shot of Bob Gruen - hey Tim, your photos (as with others who shoot for BV) are really approaching that quality! Keep up the GREAT work

Posted by texastab | July 29, 2009 11:09 AM

thats definitely not the actual setlist. they did "a quick one while he's away" (who cover, 21st century breakdown bonus track), when i come around, welcome to paradise, f.o.d., other old stuff, time of your life had half of macys day parade before it, a couple verses of some "i love you" song in there.
phenomenal show. kaiser chiefs sounded great and had a great energy, green day was insane. played for nearly 3 hours. they know how to put on a great rock n roll show.

Posted by adam | July 29, 2009 11:12 AM

Excellent show. That setlist isn't accurate (though it may be what the band initially planned). Here's the real one (with a FULL cover of "A Quick One" by the Who!):

Set list:
1. Song of the Century
2. 21st Century Breakdown
3. Know Your Enemy
4. Murder City
5. East Jesus Nowhere
6. Holiday
7. Static Age
8. Before the Lobotomy
9. Are We the Waiting
10. St. Jimmy
11. Boulevard of Broken Dreams
12. A Quick One While He's Away (The Who)
13. Hitchin a Ride
14. Welcome to Paradise
15. Stop, Drop, and Roll/ Eye of the Tiger
16. FOD
17. When I Come Around
18. Going to Pasalacqua
19. Stuart And The Ave./ Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?
20. Iron Man riff
28. 21 Guns
29. American Eulogy

30. American Idiot
31. Jesus of Suburbia
32. Minority
33. Macy's Day Parade
34. Tell Me When It's Time to Say I Love You (AI b-side)
35. Good Riddance

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:13 AM

Take a look at a great review of Night 1 at MSG on this site www.salvatorebono.blogspot.com.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:22 AM

saw them on monday. tremendous show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:23 AM

BEST NIGHT EVER!! a great night!!! def. unforgettable, i missed the idiot tour i can't miss this one!!!

Posted by Kay | July 29, 2009 11:29 AM

Looks like the boys from the Kaiser Chiefs have made it - I guess the days of Maxwell's are over with...

Also, Bob Gruen is a genius - The Clash, John Lennon. What the hell is he doing wasting his time taking shots of Green Day? They are washed up - I miss the days when Billie Joe would be coked up and be an absolute train wreck on stage...

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:32 AM

Great pics, love the Gruen pic too!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:33 AM

Green Meh

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:38 AM

@ 11:32

I wrote them off ten yrs ago...HOWEVER...they've made quite the comeback with these last two albums and if you had gone to either of these MSG shows you wouldn't be calling them washed up. They put on one hell of a show and anyone who went will agree.

Posted by Funderburgh | July 29, 2009 11:44 AM

I saw them in concert in Hartford on the 24th and it was an amazing show! I don't know how anyone can call them washed up when they pull of such energetic performances and they do it day in day out without ever cheating the fans. I will always love Green Day!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:54 AM

MSG=so punk rock

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 12:03 PM

Great photos! Wish I shot this concert on Monday night. Oh well.

Posted by Bryan Kremkau | July 29, 2009 12:11 PM

"Also, Bob Gruen is a genius - The Clash, John Lennon. What the hell is he doing wasting his time taking shots of Green Day?"

He is probably getting paid lots of $$$ from Green Day's management. Not the case for most concert photographers today sadly...

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 12:12 PM

Green Day is one of the biggest bands in the world, sorry if you can't deal with that. In fact, they are bigger than the Clash. Way bigger.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 12:45 PM

Bigger in sense of popularity and influence in today's so called music culture? I mean they are up there with Dan Deacon. Joe Strummers first solo LP Earthquake Weather is better than any of the crap Green Day has put out. They hit rock bottom after Dookie.

Go play in traffic asshat

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 1:01 PM

Not to mention the fact that John Lennon and Joe Strummer are dead. Kudos to Bob Gruen for covering Green Day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 1:02 PM

Yeah, fuck those guys for playing 3+ hours for 2 sold out crowds at msg. They're obviously irrelevant and ripping off the few fans they have left. You'll never see Dan Deacon pull that kind of fucked up shit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 1:10 PM

If you like Green Day, you like mediocre music

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 1:20 PM

1:20 list the bands you like...let me be the judge if your taste is mediocre.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 1:23 PM

@1:20- if you have to look to a blog to tell you what to listen to, you actually have no taste in music. No matter how good you're told the music is.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 1:25 PM

Tim, great photos.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 1:50 PM

Dude, I saw Green Day at Webster Hall, Hartford & MSG on Monday night with my 15 year-old son and they are simply one of the greatest live acts I have ever seen! BJ & GD can get an arena rockin' like a hole-in-the-wall club in the East Village. Not many bands have ever been capable of transcending to the "Big Time" and maintaining their musical integrity. These guys have. I'm 50 and have seen and listened to the musicians you've mentioned. Honestly, I think Joe Strummer, Joey Ramone,John Lennon and Paul Weller would have disagreed with you! (Probably not Johnny Lydon though?!) BTW - If you're not a fan what are you doing here trashing them for anyway?

Posted by Dookie_Nimrod | July 29, 2009 1:50 PM

wow, what a great setlist...i wish i was there, god dammit

Posted by Slob | July 29, 2009 1:54 PM

Dookie was good but the rest of their stuff sucks.

Posted by Calpico | July 29, 2009 2:11 PM

2:11 you obviosuly never heard Kerplunk or 1039 Slappy?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 2:19 PM

because I can

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 2:20 PM

Hey 1:50 - the fact that yr 50 and post on this site should say a lot. What shitty bands did you see in yr teens? Boston? Styx?!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 2:25 PM

50 is the new 20...let him be..

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 2:44 PM

maybe 1:50 saw pre-Warner Bros Devo, Pere Ubu, Magic Band, Sun Ra, Albert Ayler, etc.

ageism makes me laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 2:50 PM

dan deacon is today's pere ubu.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 2:57 PM

Well deserved though. They are great and fun to watch.

Posted by Loop | July 29, 2009 3:01 PM

"I saw Kaiser Chiefs open for U2 in Dublin on Saturday and now they open for Green Day a few days later in NY. That's a great week for a band.

Well deserved though. They are great and fun to watch."

i saw kaiser chiefs at ACL a few years back, and they are not great and fun to watch imo

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 3:32 PM

Holy shit, I cannot believe how many BV readers are swooning over Green Day. They are Top 40 crap plain and simple, and shouldn't even be covered on this website. Hey BV where are the Lady Ga Ga and Daughtry show write ups?

If you are over 20 and didn't go to this with your kid or younger brother/sister then your taste in music is sad and irrelevant. Please stick to reading Spin.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 3:35 PM

The show sucked worse than I thought it would, so I headed over to the Ratt show at Nokia. I can't believe how AWESOME Extreme were! They were remarkable!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 3:35 PM

>>If you are over 20 and didn't go to this with your kid or younger brother/sister then your taste in music is sad and irrelevant. <<

Gahd, I am just so tired of people.

Posted by mc | July 29, 2009 3:42 PM

I can confidently say I've never liked this band, but I suppose they are the most successful poseur punk-rock band there ever was. That counts for something. It seems they shop at Hot Topic though, which is pretty funny.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 4:09 PM

who's on top now...

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 4:33 PM

The best part of this is how many youngsters are into Green Day. That just shows how great they've become. The kids and their parents are equally as into them! I went to a concert for the Dookie tour 15 years ago. i was a fan when they first showed themselves on MTV with Longview, and since then it's amazing what they've become. Best live act I have seen and true musical talent! What's funny though is that people's kids were like "what is this stuff?" when they were playing their older stuff for like an hour and a half of the 3 hours.

Posted by N | July 29, 2009 4:34 PM

"greenday were the opening act on the 1994 lollapalooza and only on the second half of the tour... the pumpkins were the headliners for the whole tour...who's on top now..."

Both are pretty bad, imo, but to celebrate a victory over Billy Corgan Inc. isn't terribly impressive. That dude and his joke of a band are pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 4:38 PM

Hey 2:25, I did see a few (hundreds) small name bands in 70's, like Zepplin, King Crimson, Genesis (w/Gabriel), Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

What you're forgetting you lil' shit is art & music are timeless and most of the people and bands that have influenced everything you know are either dead or over 50! Like Joey Ramone, Iggy Pop & Lou Reed.

But probably before you were born, I also saw The Ramones, Television, Blondie, Talking Heads, Patty Smith & Sonic Youth, when they used to play a little venue called CBGB's. Also frequented the original Danceteria on 36th St. and Irving Plaza back in the day.

Saw a couple of little British acts (Sex Pistols, Clash & The Jam) you were also were probably too young to have seen and only heard 'cuz someone else told you they were cool. Saw and slammed to the Dead Kennedy's at the FAB MAB in San Francisco in 1980.

Who knows Sonny-boy, back in the 70's or 80's I may have done your Mom or Granny in a bathroom in a club on the lower Eastside!

Posted by Dookie_Nimrod | July 29, 2009 4:41 PM

@3:42 - GD doesn't shop at HT, HT shops at GD. You DB.

Posted by ratface | July 29, 2009 4:47 PM

What time did Animal Collective go on?

Posted by Venkman | July 29, 2009 4:52 PM

Hey Dookie @ 4:41 - that's cool. I saw a lot of those bands too at those times and places. But you should be able to laugh off the comments of some of these youngins here, and not get caught up in slagging.

Posted by drewo | July 29, 2009 4:55 PM

they suck

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:14 PM

a red-neck version of my chemical romance

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:15 PM

haven't made one good song.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:16 PM

too much man eyeliner, their opening bands are so much better then they are.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:17 PM

where are the atmosphere pictures?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:18 PM

everyone who listens to green day is the prototypical "american idiot", so do what david carradine did and die.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:22 PM

Yeah, maybe if the dudes in GD would sit on the floor with a lap top plugged into some stomp-boxes while wearing teenage mutant ninja turtles T-shirts and gorilla masks they would be BV worthy… you fucking idiots

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:28 PM

3:35..I know you are joking..

Posted by Jim | July 29, 2009 5:46 PM

That's it. I'm done reading the comments of the fuckheads on this site (you too will get old scumbag). If you're some 20 something fuckwit...I hope you die of cancer, your dick falls off or your cunt rusts shut. Take your pick.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:51 PM

gotta give it up for green day after all these years

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:57 PM

To the poster to whom Dookienimrod was responding. You sir/ma'am, just got bitchslapped.Fucking hilarious. Took my wife to see them last night. They put on a great show. I am LONG past giving a flying fuck if a band is popular or not. I am seeing Pig Destroyer on Friday and Bib Mould in October. Good music is good music (even if it is really derivative of the Clash).

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 6:58 PM

July 29, 2009 5:51 PM : I just laughed out loud. Thank you. Pretty well put.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 7:00 PM

Whoever said Green Day's music sucks or pokes fun at people who are 50 who are into it, has the brain cells of a maggot.

Stop wasting precious blog space & keep your idiotic comments to yourself.

Green Day is an amazing LIVE band who continuously kept the NYC crowd on their feet for almost 3 hours two solid nights in a row.

Their music is quality. You think they'd be around for 15+ years if it wasn't ?

Btw...when did your CD come out ? When did u headline in NYC ? Wait...do I hear crickets ???

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 7:33 PM

Correction! They played 2 hours, not 3! There was at least a full hour of HEEEEEYYYOOOOOOO call and response bullshit from Billie Joe, as per usual.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 8:43 PM

i was at both shows and when they played the Dookie cuts and prior was the absolute best - you cant hate on the classics !

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 9:16 PM

hate the classics and that emo, phony, weak lyrics pushed by green day which are meant to be deep, but the new shit is weak dribble if that's supposed to be area rock jams vol.87

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 9:28 PM

some people really have no lives. they go out of there way to come on this website to bash green day... pathetic

Posted by gggfan | July 29, 2009 9:56 PM

July 29, 2009 9:28 PM : Two things. You are an idiot for confusing pop punk with emo, as most ill-informed people do. Also, I think the word you wanted was "drivel" unless you were planning on taking their cd's and bouncing them on the floor. Ass.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 10:00 PM

Wow,

I've been to about 30 dead shows, saw everything from Zepplin to Black Flag, CDB to Neil Young. Stones, Who ...

I went to both MSG shows, Monday's was better than Tuesday's, but both were great.

I'd say Monday's show was the best live performance in an MSG sized venue I've seen in the last 20 years.

Posted by larry | July 29, 2009 10:22 PM

gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay = Green Day

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:21 PM

everyone who has gone to a green day show supports terrorism.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 11:23 PM

To the anonymous dickhead who hates Green Day: why don't you post your name, who are you afraid of?

Or better yet, get a life, instead of wasting all your time bashing a band you supposedly hate.

Posted by Laura | July 30, 2009 12:18 AM

terrorismo????? por favor q estupides mas grande eh escuchado,, green day siempre van a ser los mejores,,, y gay gay gay gay gay= al q escribio eso,,,, y no son emos,,,, el emo es un invento mas grande del mundo basta de mentir a la gante

Posted by diego | July 30, 2009 12:36 AM

Texastab (11:09), 11:33, Bryan (12:11), and 1:50:

Thanks so much for the compliments. :)

It was crowded and a little toasty in close quarters of the pit, but a lot of fun to shoot. These guys give great face... and whether they are your style/taste or not, they DO rock. I'd shoot them again, gladly - ideally with more time and better AAAccess. :)

5:18 - ORLY? Did what I could within the 2 song limit. :)

Posted by tim | July 30, 2009 1:03 AM

I saw Green Day both nights at MSG, and have seen them about 12 times since 1994.

It's too bad that ironic hipsters can't appreciate something that is not pretentious or intentionally off-putting but just simply and purely is what it is. They play great music and put on a fantastic show, and Billie Joe gives everything of himself to audiences. It literally left me breathless.

Posted by asfo_del | July 30, 2009 3:05 AM

The bunny is so Billie Joe.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 7:11 AM

The bunny is Billie Joe!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 9:25 AM

If you aren't a Green Day fan, why waste your time on this site?

How can you call them washed up? They won best rock album of the year in 2004 and have a good shot to do it again. They put on an amazing show. I was there Monday and Tuesday night. I don't know how they have the energy. They do a helluva job. Monday and Tuesday were my 4th and 5th Green Day show since '97 and these were hands down the best ones. Great job Green Day. You are still my fav. band.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 9:59 AM

why do you guys care so much? take my advice dont give yourself a heart attack over some anonymous comments on a blog.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 10:26 AM

Give it up for Trevor, by the way! I was only there the second night (so I have no idea which night was better) -- but that effect during East Jesus Nowhere of having a kid be "saved" during the song was frickin awesome with the pyrotechnics and the dude falling on his back. Billie Joe knows how to work a crowd unlike any I have ever seen....they take requests, they bring people on stage, they have people play instruments and sing, they actually pull people on the stage just so they can come up and run around and stage dive.....this is the best act I have....and I've been to a TON of concerts. Oh and by the way....for all the people who say Green Day sucks.....they are selling out arenas everywhere they go, and not only that, these arenas have seats and Billie Joe is able to keep an arena full of people on their feet for 3 hours. I don't think anyone realizes how hard it is to do that.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 11:42 AM

omg lol
I'm in like 3 of the photos!
front row, pearl bracelet + glasses
with the huge smile on my face at the drunk bunny in the 8th Green Day photo down
woot!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 11:43 AM

WOW! Thanks for the picture! I wish I had a camera like yours, hehehe, makes even the best one taken on my digital look like puke! I got a snap of Bob Gruen "hard at work" too.

Posted by Geraldine | July 30, 2009 11:47 AM

By the way....the people who come on here to bash Green Day --- they all LOVE green day. The only reason they're bashing them is because they pride themselves on thinking they're not mainstream individuals and how dare they allow themselves to be caught loving a mainstream band. So rather than admitting it, they're fighting it as best as they can. IT'S OKAY TO LOVE GREEN DAY! YOU'RE ONLY MAINSTREAM IF YOU LOVE THEM ONLY BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE DOES!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 11:59 AM

The pink bunny IS Billie Joe -- in one shot you can just see the tattoo inside the sleeve of the bunny suit. The bunny and BJ both have tattoos that stop at the same spot on the wrist.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 12:03 PM

much of the rancorous yammering here is funny -- I saw GD in Philly last week, fantastic fun show with a fully engaged audience. I'm 54, and it was my 14 yr old son's first big time general admission standing area show (he and some friends were on the floor with the crowd, I sat up in the seats -- I wouldn't want to cramp his enjoyment by imposing my company on him on the floor and in the frenzy) -- I had a great time, he had a great time, most everyone else seemed to have had a great time, and GD seemed to be having a great time.

take this opportunity to remind that Ramones came from McCartney's "so tre cool" touring name (Paul Ramon) from the very early 60s, pre Beatles/Beatlemania. He also used it when he played bass on some early Steve Miller work.

Posted by bdbd | July 30, 2009 12:21 PM

Posted by Iman lABABEDI | July 30, 2009 1:12 PM

Well, I've been to hundreds of shows, and this was the loudest I've ever been to. Indeed, it was so loud, I left after about 90 minutes. While I like the band on disc -- and agree that they certainly worked their asses off and had the crowd in their hands on Tuesday night -- they appear to be more interested in being loud and raunchy than being good. I'm not criticizing them -- 90% of their fans love it, based on the reaction Tuesday night -- but for me, it doesn't cut it.

Posted by PSR | July 30, 2009 3:35 PM

GREEN DAY ROCKS!!!!

Posted by Scarlett | July 30, 2009 4:19 PM

I agree with the 50 year old (Dookie_Nimrod) The way BJA takes control on the area is unbelievable! I took my 12 year old to see GD last night in Washington DC. Billie did not allow anyone to sit from the moment he took the stage...were up top and and everyone was standing...everyother concert I have been to the nose bleed guys just sit and watch for the most part and participate rarely---not at the show last night! Everyone was standing, arms waving, singing and everything Billie wanted us to do. By far the best concert I have ever attended (and I've seen a few too---I'm sittin at 53)

In 25-30 years some of these guys/gals will be getting their nuts busted (or whatever happens to their tits)for posting comments. Do you really think that at a certain age your ears fall off and you can not appreicate music or talent any longer???

Posted by owl | July 30, 2009 5:36 PM

Owl,

I agree with you BJ may very well be one of the all-time greatest frontmen outta any band that has ever gotten this successful. He's joined the ranks of guys like Jagger, Plant, Daltry, Gabriel back in their hey-day. Besides the fact that he's got very much an "Any Guy" quality that kinda transcends the styles of the group I just mentioned.

Drewo and the others - Thanks for coming to the defense of another "Senior Citizen"?! I'm hoping my AARP card gets me a discount on my next Victrola!!

You're right, no need to be slaggin' kiddies that don't know any better! Hell, they're listen to stuff from our day and variations on it and they haven't figured out that music and more specifically, ROCK & ROLL is ETERNAL!

Posted by Dookie_Nimrod | July 30, 2009 7:08 PM

asfo_del @3:05 nails it.

Posted by krissy | July 30, 2009 10:59 PM

Thanks krissy.

So many bands insist on putting off people who don't "get" them, to enhance their hipster cred, but Green Day literally embraces everyone. Their incredible generosity and affection toward all fans of all ages is one of their most lovely and remarkable traits.

Btw, the bunny is not Billie Joe. I was about 4 feet from him and got a good look. ;) (The back of his head is shaved, for one thing.)

Posted by asfo_del | July 31, 2009 2:36 AM

I've liked Green Day's singles, but I do not own any albums. I was a little hesitant to go to this concert, but my friend scored last minute tickets. What a show! So entertaining. The crowd was so into it and I was impressed with Billie Joe as a performer. The fans love the group and the group loves the fans.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 2:59 AM

I tell you what, I was at both these shows and thought Kaiser Chiefs were a very pleasant surprise. I had them down as another dodgy Brit band like Arctic Monkeys, no charisma or anything, but they made Madison SG their own for half hour. The second night they had the whole place stood up cheering. You can tell they just came off the U2 tour.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 5:24 AM

The Kaiser Chiefs were pretty good, but lets not go crazy. I was there the second night and except for the people who came in already loving the Kaiser Chiefs, most people were standing still and sitting on their asses throughout their set. The only time people got into it is when they said "Are you excited to see Green Day?" -- which the singer used repeatedly to liven up the place since people weren't really making any noise for them. But yes, they were entertaining....just wouldn't make it seem like they did more to the crowd than they really did.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 5:25 PM

So not to start any rumors, especially not off of just one performance, but I was at the second night at MSG and Tre certainly did not look like he was having any fun (except for when he jumped off the stack at the end -- a scary moment since if he breaks a foot or sprains something he'll have a damn hard time playing those drums!). Every time I got a look at his face (which was usually through the big screen camera), he just looked bored. Anyone see this? Maybe I'm just imagining it, and yes I know it's hard to have tons of energy every night on tour the way BJA does, but after so many years of touring and playing concerts nightly, one has to wonder if any of them are burning out (dookie reference). Definitely not BJA or Mike from what I saw. Just kept wondering why Tre looked so not into it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 5:34 PM

I agree with Larry, Juy 29 10:22 pm.

Although I didn't see Monday's show (wish I had), I had the priviledge to see them Tuesday.

GD put on the best LIVE performance I've ever seen at MSG in the last 15 + years.

I still have chills thinking about it!

To all the haters...get a life and criticize all the BS going on the world, not a band that brings attention to it ! Try listening to the lyrics...you may get educated !

Posted by Ozzie | July 31, 2009 7:50 PM

You're welcome, asfo_del. And once again, in your second post, you're able to put into words (so well) the way I felt when I saw Green Day last week--and really, the way I feel about them in general.
For Anonymous @5:34, I have to say I got the same feeling about Tre Cool when I saw them. It's not a criticism, and I didn't go looking for it, but he just didn't seem very happy to me. Then again, this is only the second time I've seen GD, and he doesn't have the opportunity to leap around like BJA and Mike do! So who knows...but he looked pretty perky when he threw his drum sticks into the crowd as he came offstage...!

Posted by krissy | August 1, 2009 12:50 AM

Best show I've sceen. They played for 3 hours!!!!! BillyJoe Rocks! July 28, 2009

Posted by lisa | August 1, 2009 9:57 AM

THE bunny IS NOT BJ, the bunny has no wedding ring, and BJ tats go to his wrist, the bunnys don't.

Posted by pyro | August 2, 2009 12:09 PM

billie joe is a genius. and i love him. thats the end.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 1:02 PM

Not to mention that Billie Joe has tattoos ON HIS HANDS, like on his fingers even (Adeline logo tattoo anyone???). Whoever the bunny is doesn't have any. Whoever does the bunny at the beginning of the shows also has short hair, and a tattoo on the back of their neck. Neither of which Billie Joe has. During the Albany show, however, I believe BJ jumped into the suit to join the other like 6 anomal mascots that were onstage trashing The Bravery's set. He had been shooting the toilet paper for a while, then disappeared and the bunny strolled onstage. But every other time I've seen him, he was definitely NOT Billie Joe.

Posted by BillieJoesEntourage | August 5, 2009 4:08 AM

"Knowledge" is also a cover (Operation Ivy) even though they do play it at practically all of their shows.

Posted by Evan | August 8, 2009 5:36 PM

Seen everybody since the 70s ,two or three times each
Green Day made them all look like Cheap wedding bands !!!
Insane power and music !!!

Posted by Jay Boyle | August 12, 2009 8:48 PM

seriously no night can top this! well until next tour!!

Posted by melissa | August 28, 2009 3:29 PM

Wow. WHat A night that was. Green Day is anamzing band that definately deserves to be in the R&R Hall Of Fame. They deserve eery award that they get. That night was one of hte best nights of my life. I got to meet Green Day on May 22nd 2009 when they Headlined the Good Morning America summer Concert Series. My mom said to me a few days before when she first discovered it "Would you rather sit your ass in a scoolroom all day? Or be jumping up and down all day to Green Day?" And that was how the story began. You couldnt ask for better inspirations. Green Day have inspired a generation, and I hope the contiune to do so for a very long time. Rock On Guys!

Posted by Kristi | October 21, 2009 11:47 AM

Thanks for sharing information.

Posted by http://www.americapokerstars.com/ | November 19, 2009 3:14 AM

Thanks for shared this with us.i found this informative
and interesting blog so i think so its very useful and
knowledge able.I would like to thank you for the efforts
you have made in writing this article

Posted by Paris Hotell | December 23, 2009 9:25 AM

Wow! i agree! i’ve been searching for so long for a site where i could find everything that i want, and i’ve just found it!! really, i’ve visited your blog, and it’s amazing, i will keep visiting

Posted by insurance | December 30, 2009 12:20 PM

This article simply ROCKS ! Fantastic

Posted by Online Sweepstakes | February 17, 2010 5:34 AM

Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this website wants way more consideration. Ill most likely be once more to learn much more, thanks for that info. btw have a look at http://goodvillenews.com/Kindness-Adventures-of-Boss-Lady-Zxw28M.html - good news

Posted by Brian Baker | December 12, 2012 10:30 AM