Posted in music | tour dates on July 17, 2009

DOWNLOAD: Jarvis Cocker - Angela (MP3)

Julian
Julian Casablancas

Pulp front-man Jarvis Cocker is currently playing dates in support of his newest solo record, Further Complications, which came out in May on Rough Trade. Check out a track from it above. His tour was to include a July 30th show at Terminal 5. Instead, that show will happen at Music Hall of Williamsburg. Tickets for the other venue will be honored, but new tickets are not available - the show went instantly to "sold out" status when it moved (that's one way to sell out a show in this recession - move it to a venue 4-5 times smaller).

Jarvis's Rough Trade label-mates Little Joy will be opening that show. Little Joy usually features Strokes drummer Fabrizio Moretti, but he most likely won't be at the MHOW show (except maybe as a special guest) as he'll be busy recording the forthcoming, fourth Strokes album. At Little Joy's last Bowery Ballroom show, Fabrizio only joined the band for their final song, as did Regina Spektor who Little Joy opened for at Beacon Theater less than a week earlier.

At the same time, Strokes singer Julian Casablancas is preparing to release his solo album, Phrazes for the Young, due later this year on Cult Records/RCA. The record is produced by Jason Lader (who's worked with Elvis Costello, Rilo Kiley and others) with additional production by Monster of Folk Mike Mogis, and will be accompanied by solo tour dates, to be announced.

Check out a YouTube preview of that record and its synthy, New Age direction, with all Little Joy tour dates, below...

JULIAN CASABLANCAS - PHRAZES FOR THE YOUNG (PREVIEW)

Little Joy - 2009 Tour Dates
Jul 27 Wiltern Theater (supporting Jarvis Cocker) Los Angeles, California
Jul 30 Music Hall of Williamsburg (supporting Jarvis Cocker) New York, New York
Aug 14 Fundição Progresso Rio de Janeiro
Aug 15 Via Funchal São Paulo

This is the best news ever.

Posted by Reed | July 17, 2009 2:11 PM

FUCK! I was buying tickets today when I left work. I had delayed because that venue is shitty enough that I hoped something else would pop up.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2009 2:13 PM

Kinda saw he had only sold about 500 tickets....since the capacity at Music Hall is 550 and I'm sure they leave at least 30-40 tickets for promoters/etc.

Will have to just wait till Pulp reunites next year at Coachella along with new Daft Punk set up/Arcade Fire/Outkast/Modest Mouse

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2009 2:15 PM

that would get me out there again

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2009 2:19 PM

@2:15

I would be insanely excited if Pulp reunited for Coachella, but they don't really seem to have much of a following in the US compared to the UK and the rest of Europe. It wouldn't really make sense for Coachella to have them since their reunion gigs would likely be expensive to book and they wouldn't really attract many more festival-goers.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2009 2:22 PM

Goddammit! I would have gone to a MHOW show but T5 is such a hole I took a pass on those tickets.

Posted by Chris | July 17, 2009 2:26 PM

Yeah, I passed on T5. Have never seen a show there, but I read that the sound and sight is so terrible at that venue, so what's the point....

Posted by Regular reader | July 17, 2009 2:43 PM

Guess we are not as popular as we thought we are...ehh Jarv?

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2009 2:44 PM

if people did this enough for every show -then maybe they will finally close terminal 5 - a venue which music fans do not like.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2009 2:44 PM

so happy I bought those tickets the second they went on sale, I love MHOW and this totally makes my weekend even better---Superchunk tonight, Wilco tomorrow---sweet......and if Pulp played Coachella I would be there in a second

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2009 2:45 PM

Off topic - but can anyone remind me if they sell beer at Siren Fest? It's been a few years since I last attended...

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2009 2:57 PM

MeHOW

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2009 2:59 PM

Thanks BV. I might have never known about the venue change if I didn't have a few free mins here at work just now. How would anyone know if they don't keep up on the blogs? ...plenty of pissed people traveling up back down and over that night I suspect.

@Anon... they sell beer all over Coney Island. I think it's generally cheaper at the random hot dog/pizza stands in the midway.

Posted by Jason Lam | July 17, 2009 4:04 PM

Pulp reunion? Really? You know how those people at the Coachella message boards start those line-up rumors. That would be great then. I totally ignored Pulp/Jarvis in favor of Blur and missed seeing them live.

Posted by Joe | July 19, 2009 12:23 AM

Yet another person who was horrified by Terminal 5, and knowing that wouldn't sell out quickly so delayed buying my ticket til I got to the city in person...only to be shut out.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 8:39 PM

Around 1900 tickets have been sold so far for his LA show in a 2200 capacity venue. LA > NY

Goldenvoice fails for not booking him for their APW Festival.

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2009 5:15 PM

love it. phrazes for the young is genius and soooo good. 11th dimension is one of my favorite songs at the moment.

Posted by chissy nkemere | October 31, 2009 1:57 PM

Keep it up, your writing is always a joy to read that I even told my friends. Simply loving this

Posted by Garden Furniture | December 6, 2009 7:01 AM

I have surfed the net more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It's worth enough for me. Thanks.

Posted by Dress Up Games | December 6, 2009 7:01 AM

This is the best news ever.

Posted by منتديات | November 9, 2010 6:58 AM