Posted in music | pictures on July 5, 2009

photos by Chris La Putt

Jenny Lewis

"[Jenny Lewis's] hour long set (as the opening act for their good friends, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band) featured Lewis classics such as "Acid Tongue", "The Next Messiah" and Rilo Kiley's "Silver Lining" plus one or two new songs. And of course, they pulled Conor Oberst out to join them on one song, at which point he and Lewis pressed their faces together to share the microphone center stage." [Cassie]
The River to River Festival's annual free Independence Day concert in NYC's Battery Park went down as planned, rain-free, on Saturday (7/4/2009 @ 3:30PM)
"It was nice being able to just lay down and sun-nap for a little while listening to live music." [Spatula Queen]

"The concert was fabulous. The weather was perfect (clear sky, breezy), and there was a great energy in the park. There were tooons of people there.." [my so-called life]

"conor oberst was great. much better than i thought he would be." [Anonymous | July 4, 2009 10:36 PM]

"Kicked it on a blanket in a park listening to those two for hours. Pretty much one of the best afternoons I had ever had." [Typoscura]

More pictures, and both setlists, below...

Conor Oberst

From Battery Park, Chris ran up to Chelsea for more bands, film and fireworks.

Jenny also recently played a show at Music Hall of Williamsburg (with Deer Tick who has a show coming up in Prospect Park).

Jenny Lewis - 4th of July, 2009 - setlist

JULY 12 PITTSBURGH, PA MR. SMALL'S
JULY 13 COLUMBUS, OH WEXNER CENTER FOR THE ARTS
JULY 14 CHICAGO, IL METRO
JULY 15 DETROIT, MI MAJESTIC THEATRE
JULY 20 BLOOMINGTON, IN JAKE'S NIGHTCLUB
JULY 21 ATHENS, GA 40 WATT CLUB

Acoustic guitars + American flags = zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by ||||||| | July 5, 2009 9:43 PM

The last song of Conor's set was Roosevelt Room. It's on the new record.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 9:52 PM

a little light on the shots of jenny.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 9:59 PM

nice cutoffs

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 10:00 PM

during the jenny lewis show... there was one song where the drummer switched places with one of the guitarists, at which point the drummer stood with a guitar and pretended to play.. she even turned her back to the audience for a good minute to hide this from the audience... if you caught it... it was priceless

Posted by leo | July 5, 2009 10:14 PM

Acid Tongue and Silver Lining are "Classics"?

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 10:17 PM

And the ???? track from Jenny was the Rilo Kiley track Silver Lining, which she did solo acoustic.

Posted by matthew | July 5, 2009 10:17 PM

I think Danielle Haim steals some of that short shorts spotlight off Jenny... wow.

Posted by omfg | July 5, 2009 10:19 PM

the jenny lewis ?s is silver lining.
the conor ?s is roosevelt room. they also played danny callahan between difference and hospital.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 10:20 PM

wow, that hat is so cool..

and Amish

Posted by Jim | July 5, 2009 10:37 PM

legs r good.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 10:39 PM

both were good, but jenny's set destroyed conor's in comparison. usually like conor a lot but good mystic valley band songs are few and far between. makes me miss what mike mogis brings to bright eyes. nate and jason bosell's playing was awesome as usual tho.

jenny was incredible. such great energy and a really balanced setlist so it didn't get too sleepy for too long. she's got a hell of a band. and as far as the comment above about her drummer moving to guitar and then pretending to play -- you're mostly right. she was faking it for most of the song, but did play a tiny bit during the last section of the song.

what surprised me most was the sound -- it was great! jenny especially. great low end. kudos to whomever was responsible for mixing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 11:05 PM

setlists updated. thanks

Posted by brooklynvegan | July 5, 2009 11:18 PM

Don't people have friends and 4th of July parties to go to?

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 11:20 PM

you know, the show ended at 6:45. i made it back to long island in time to go to a friend's party.

you're obviously a moron.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 11:33 PM

yeah, but 11:33....you live on long island.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 11:40 PM

That's the best urban sombrero I've seen in quite some time. Kudos to Senor Oberst.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2009 11:41 PM

Jenny's drummer is Barbara Gruska, who also performs with in the band Obi Best...Obi Best is fronted by Alex Lilly, one of the backup singers for the Bird & the Bee...Greg Kurstin from the Bird & the Bee has worked with Kylie Minogue, who was in the movie 'Doogal' with William H. Macy, who was in the movie 'Murder In The First' with...

...Kevin Bacon

Posted by Matt Pinfield | July 6, 2009 12:09 AM

long island indie scene will blow up. just wait and see!

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 12:14 AM

kinda disappointing not even a few bright eyes favorites thrown in...

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 12:16 AM

Jenny Lewis is talented, gorgeous and has a smoking body! Is she going out with that mousy guitarist!??

Posted by AG | July 6, 2009 12:29 AM

12:29 - that "mousy guitarist" is JONATHAN RICE. look him up.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 12:43 AM

yeah, danielle haim is kicking ass. uh, come see haim on july 18 at fmly's beach dazed w/ busdriver, railcars, voxtrot, alligators, special guests and our california homies! google that shit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 12:53 AM

Conor, ditch the Neil Young hat and faux-Crazy Hourse "Mystic Valley band" and get back to the bleeding heart screaming songs about slitting your wrists over a girl. current incarnation = yawn.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 1:43 AM

@ 12:14 The LI indie scene already blew up. It pretty much culminated in the success of a band called Taking Back Sunday.

Posted by dan | July 6, 2009 1:52 AM

Happy Indie MEHnace Day

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 2:09 AM

It's amazing how that pudgy girl in Foxfire grew up to be such a stunner.

And I would loved to have been at this show just to see Handle With Care!

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 2:41 AM

If only she had let Farmer Dave do a song from his new album.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 10:01 AM

Ok, so here it is...

I was in the first few rows of people at Battery Park when some scumbag in a green shirt rudely cut right in front of me and several other people, restricting our views during the Jenny Lewis segment of the show. He even had the audacity to rest his hat on some innocent girl. Throughout the show, he was taking photos in ways which would deliberatley obstruct myself and the people directly behind me.I kindly asked if he would move over an inch or even switch places with me, naturally he ignored both requests. Now I'm no push over but I did not want to ruin a perfectly fine july 4th in the park(color me rational). To add insult to injury, the fuck took off his shirt in an effort give the Lewis faithful a whiff of his irish pub smelling body. This guy was a real class act. Although he ruined my july 4th, maybe I can embarrass this dick head on the mighty interweb.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 10:14 AM

there is one douche that surfing around BV, thinking of ways to put MEH in sentences. Grow up you cornball.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 10:52 AM

This was Music Snob wasn't it?

"Ok, so here it is...

He had a tatoo on his back which stated "live ever, die never".Be on the look out for this immortal."

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 11:12 AM

There are always entitled, narcissistic, smelly douchetards who force their way into the front right at the beginning of the set, blocking everyone's views and acting like an asshat...completely ignoring that other people have been standing there for hours *without* pissing off everyone else around them. It's just the way it goes.

You have two options:

1) Don't even bother trying to stand near the front anymore, or...
2) Shank the motherfucker and teach him a lesson.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 11:20 AM

I'm confused as to why Jenny Lewis now speaks with a southern drawl. Isn't she from LA?

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 11:40 AM

More cheeks in the monitor please...

Posted by trash talkin sandwich | July 6, 2009 11:46 AM

according to the shitpile he calls a "blog", Music Snobbery was in London over the weekend. But yeah, that did sound like the whiny little bitch that is Chris at Music Snobbery.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 11:47 AM

"There are always entitled, narcissistic, smelly douchetards who force their way into the front right at the beginning of the set, blocking everyone's views"

I would not say EVERYONE's views, just short people's views. I'm tall, so most people do not block my views. Do not be quick to use the word "everyone". Perhaps "most" or use "almost".

Not that I went to the show. Why would I spend a beautiful holiday day away from friends and family?

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 12:24 PM

Maybe Music Snob didn't go to the UK after all..I'm pretty certain he has a "live ever, die never" tattoo on his back..

To the dismay of the crowd, I witnessed him take off his shirt in a drunken stupor after a Daft Punk show a few years ago and noticed the ink first-hand.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 1:20 PM

Awesome Jenny Lewis pix, really well done. Thanks Chris! keep up the good work.

Posted by Good Looknout | July 6, 2009 1:21 PM

These are great photos Chris.
It was quite the mindfuck to watch arguably the most attractive band in show business (Jenny Lewis and friends) followed by the non-arguably the least attractive band in the history of music (Conor Oberst and those marginally talented mystics). Jenny has an absolutely fantastic band. And Danielle Haim - I didn't think I would pay so much attention to a girl that wasn't Jenny Lewis at a Jenny Lewis show.
What was the contraption farmer dave was playing during You Are What You Love? digital autoharp something or other? it was dope.

Posted by Alex P | July 6, 2009 4:41 PM

yea, i just tossed her salad a few days back.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 5:51 PM

conor's guitarist looks like he found ryan adams's look circa-Rock n' Roll.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2009 7:26 PM

who cares what they look like?
they're fucking amazing,
I love the mystic valley band..
much more upbeat.
Conor's taking it back to good old folk,
they have real heart,

you're all idiots.

these pictures are amazing.
Awesome show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2009 2:49 AM

Amen 2:49 AM is right. Bright Eyes is great, MVB is great. Conor Oberst is the best songwriter of our generation. And as far as the asshole that told him to ditch the neil young look...havent you heard of a little thing called influence? The slit your wrist style of bright eyes came from conor's infatuation with elliott smith.

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2009 1:54 PM

that god for ass shorts. long live summer!

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | July 7, 2009 5:56 PM

the first time i heard "roosevelt room" was at a bright eyes show back in 07. I have been desperately searching for it since because (i dont know if anyone saw it at radio city but) i've never seen conor rock so hard. He's no longer that weepy kid we all knew and loved during our proverbial(or in my case actual) perpetual high school shoe gaze (I TOO want a lover i don't have to love! how does he KNOWW??!) he might just be a rock star after all. he torn it up again on saturday. I'm so glad it's on this new cd.

Posted by aly | July 8, 2009 1:20 PM

at first i didnt know how i felt about these "happy conor" shenanigans. but its really nice to see him without the whole "New Bob Dylan" thing hovering over him. His songwriting is beyond convienient comparisons and it shows with the mystic valley band. It's cool Conor. You can smile we all still love you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2009 1:23 PM

Jenny LEHwis & Conor ObEHrst

Posted by AnonyMEHous | July 8, 2009 10:54 PM

i wanna lover i dont have to love

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2009 11:13 PM

the next night, at the jenny lewis show in pittsburgh, she changed the last refrain of "you are what you love" to "you are what you love, conor." kind of an awkward name to toss into the place usually filled by "tim" (at least in the record version). guess he still must've been on her mind.

Posted by anonymous | July 9, 2009 12:42 AM

Jenny Lewis' outfit was so hot and American but they should have busted out the mini-choir of gospel singers for "Silver Lining". Conor Oberst's complexion looks like a smoked cigarette filter and his giant hat is confusing but "Outer South" is a really good album. I used to think he was so cute but he got old(er) and his face creeps me out.

And how did he have a "slit your wrist Elliott Smith obsession"? Elliott Smith didn't even have that.

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2009 12:55 AM

yes he did, every single song elliott smith wrote was depressing and he ended up stabbing himself.
and I still think conor is just as beautiful as ever.<3