Posted in music | pictures on July 20, 2009

photos by Joseph Juechao Xu

Jesus Lizard

"TORTOISE was good and everything, but way better the first year i ever went (when i was 14) probably because they were the headlining band that year and played late at night when it was dark. and their setlist flowed better....the request the night thing was cool but i think it really put a damper on the band's moods. EXCEPT! for the JESUS LIZARD. that was so awesome and intense. they didn't act old at all. BUILT TO SPILL on the other hand was a disappoint. sadly :( they looked like they were having the worst night of their life and i could barely hear it. to top it off....drunk bros were behind me screaming the words. you don't scream or dance or yell for built to spill. they even "wooed" the instrument parts between singing. bleh. but it was still pretty sounding and cool to see. i didn't watch YO LA TENGO. i think they're eh." [maybemae]
I watched some of the stream and what I saw of Yo La Tengo was much better than "eh"!, and I thought Tortoise sounded great (though it was funny to hear them say something like, "we have a new album out, but we're not playing any of those songs... BECAUSE NONE OF YOU REQUESTED THEM!"). I do agree 100% with the above review of the Jesus Lizard though. David Yow is still a monster, and I can't wait for the Irving Plaza show. I didn't watch Built to Spill, but according to Jim DeRogatis, that was probably the right decision anyway.

Tortoise is on tour and plays Le Poisson Rouge in NYC on Tuesday night. The rest of the pictures from Day One of the 2009 Pitchfork Festival, below...

Tortoise...

Yo La Tengo

Yo La Tengo

Yo La Tengo

Yo La Tengo

Jesus Lizard...

Jesus Lizard

And the Built to Spill pics are HERE.

Tortoise @ the Pitchfork Festival - setlist (correct?)
Seneca
Djed
Swung From The Gutters
Along The Bank Of Rivers
TNT
The Suspension Bridge At Iguazú Falls
Glass Museum

Yo La Tengo played a Brooklyn show with Wilco one week earlier.

what's with all the old timers? none of these bands were ever as good as they were championed as. Easily 3 of the most overrated bands of the 1990's.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:16 PM

12:16 is easily the most transparently trolling comment of the 2000's.

Posted by noamjamski | July 20, 2009 12:19 PM

I guess David Yow has decided to stop performing with his testicles exposed to the audience.

What a sell out.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:25 PM

12:16 = absolutely right

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:27 PM

the jesus lizard were one of the best live bands of the 90's, hands down.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:29 PM

Iggy Envy.

Posted by Patrick | July 20, 2009 12:37 PM

I think the dumbass from Tortoise forgot to mention that voting closed before their new album was released.

Yeah, let's vote to hear a bunch of songs we've never heard, as opposed to our favorites.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:50 PM

Jesus Lizard? Over rated?
you sir (12:16) are as smart as a headless retarded monkey

Posted by Jim | July 20, 2009 1:12 PM

what was yo la tengo's set? anyone know?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:13 PM

jesus lizard setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:18 PM

YLT setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:19 PM

How can you shoot Tortoise and have no shots of McEntire??? Best drummer of his generation? Certainly near the top.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:22 PM

YO LA TENGO setlist:

Here to Fall (new song)
Autumn Sweater
Let's Save Tony Orlando's House
Cherry Chapstick
Stockholm Syndrome
Periodically Double or Triple (new song)
Mr. Tough
The Fireside (new song)
Tom Courtenay
Pass the Hachet, I Think I'm Goodkind
Sugarcube

Posted by kptron | July 20, 2009 1:27 PM

Completely disagree on Built to Spill. I thought they had an incredible night and were the highlight of my weekend (I missed Jesus Lizard). I also thought the sound was spot on. A lot depends on where you are situated on these massive outdoor stages.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:33 PM

these three bands are all irrelevant.

what they have in common is that they all were heralded as the most "important" bands of their peak eras, by breathless (clueless) record reviewers. Their members also all hobnobbed with talented and influential bands and were buds with them, in their time.

By and large, none of these bands has had any significant influence on music. Point to any decent band today or in the past 10 years that is following in any of these three bands' footsteps.

Face it, Jesus Lizard and Yo la Tengo and Tortoise are historically unimportant old timers. They may have filled rooms and sold records to dumb indie rockers back in their day (and, briefly, now again) but that's all they ever accomplished.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:33 PM

where's video of this historic Jesus Lizard gig? I want to see myself before I pass judgement.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:37 PM

no jesus lizard set list?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:42 PM

how many of you guys actually pull out old tortoise or yo la tengo or jesus lizard records and listen to them?

it just doesn't happen, because they just aren't very good

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:48 PM

I see Yo La Tengo is looking as cheerful and upbeat as usual.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:54 PM

I thought indie rock was one big happy family, old and young. There seems to be a shift from either you like the old (YLT, BTS, Pavement) or new (Dirty Projectors, Grizzly Bear, Wavves) And there is so much fighting and stupidity going around these comment boards. Just be happy that we all have good taste in music. In the end that is what it's all about.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:57 PM

The Jesus Lizard put out 3 killer albums between 1990 and 1993 and were a blistering force in music, especially live. To write them off as overrated proves you have absolutely no judgement and really need to reassess why you like music in the first place. Friday's performance by TJL was easily the best show I've seen in years. No shit.

Posted by Kleo | July 20, 2009 2:04 PM

1:57, no I'm not more into young music or something. I'm an informed listener of all eras of music who was very much around when these guys were peaking... which is why I know these three bands were/are overrated.

just because you were an active, successful indie band 15 years ago doesn't mean what you were doing was good or that you deserve to be revered now.

these bands were and are mediocre also rans. they were chums with the important bands so people think they were valid. they weren't.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 2:18 PM

2:18
I think you like little boys.

Posted by LQ | July 20, 2009 2:20 PM

2:04 was at Pitchfork Fest... which means one of two things.

most likely, he lives in Chicago, a sad sack of an indie scene where they revere their old bands like they were gods and never ever let go, no matter how mediocre those bands really were...

and/or, he works in the live music industry, where draw and talent get confused regularly.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 2:26 PM

"they were chums with the important bands so people think they were valid"

What are these "important bands" you speak of? I can't speak for YLT or Tortoise as I'm not too familiar with their stuff (and what I have heard sounded uninteresting), but Jesus Lizard was an absolutely amazing band whose records still hold up pretty well to my ears. They peaked with Goat, though. I don't see how anyone could say they're irrelevant - maybe for the more pussy strains of indie rock covered on this blog, but the influence they've had on American post-punk is pretty broad. They're like the american Birthday Party.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 2:32 PM

what a thread of douchery, except 2:32

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 2:37 PM

2:26
You are 0 for 2 buddy.
I think I sold some Silverchair and Winger CD's to you.

Posted by Kleo | July 20, 2009 2:46 PM

And 2:37 you tied a bow around the douchery and made it your own.

Posted by Catherine | July 20, 2009 2:47 PM

2:46 is lying. he's from Chicago and he works in the music industry. I know the guy. Make your point by making your point, don;t fucking lie about it like a little boy.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 2:50 PM

is working in a record store count as "working in the music industry"?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 2:59 PM

I´m 33 years old from Portugal and i consider myself a regular guy. The Jesus Lizard here are a reference to all the guys of my generation that like indie music and that´s a fact.

Posted by Humberto Fernandes | July 20, 2009 3:01 PM

all these newer bands that you boys listen too are just copying shit that was made 15 yrs ago such as jesus lizard etc etc.you suck and are weak.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 3:12 PM

to say bands like TJL and YLT are overrated is pure folly...

anyway, jesus lizard was the highlight of the evening: just as ferocious and tight as we all remember them.

tortoise was fine, but the time of day doesn't lend to an immersive listening experience.

yo la didn't seem as engaged as they usually are, but played an efficient, enjoyable set.

BTS was a bit of a disappointment. seemed a bit mechanical, perhaps due to the limited song structure and time constraints. also, PITCHFORK CAN NEVER GET THE FUCKING SOUND RIGHT. FUCKING NEVER! i was standing in front of the sound booth, center left, and i could here people whispering around me. the pains of being pure at heart were twice as loud in the middle of the day on saturday.

Posted by quilty | July 20, 2009 3:18 PM

@annoymous 2:18

You refer to "important" bands that YLT, TJL, BTS and Tortoise befriended. Who were these "important" bands?

I'm curious.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 3:29 PM

Ok these bands are old... sure, but they were headlining one of the most popular music festivals of 2009. A festival that is run by music critics. Isn't that enough to at least give them the benefit of the doubt... or better yet if you dont like these band (you would be in the minority considering they headlined this huge festival that lots of people spent hard earned cash on)... you just leave it at that ?

What gets you people so pissed off that you have to come on these boards and just rant and rave about how you are smarter than the million plus (good estimate) people who listen to these bands? You arent going to convince anyone of anything new... you just want to hear yourselves talk.

Posted by what!@? | July 20, 2009 4:17 PM

Actually I'd have to say The Jesus Lizard, Yo La Tengo & Built To Spill are probably 3 of the most underrated & under appreciated bands of the 90's
Considering none of them really ever impacted the mainstream and while two of them got on major labels
never really changed their sound or aesthetic and always had a loyal following & toured their asses off.. some serious dues paid there...

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 4:20 PM

Jesus Lizard setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 4:36 PM

any band who makes a record such as _Goat_ or _Painful_ or _Millions Now Living Will Never Die_ can be called a lot of things, but overrated and unimportant aren't candidates.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 5:22 PM

hahahaha I love the "relevant" vs. "irrelevant" arguments.

relevant to what?

Posted by Lori | July 20, 2009 6:25 PM

Exactly, 6:25. Relevance is relative.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 6:30 PM

Saw the Jesus Lizard in Nashville three nights before this show. It was at least in the top five best shows I've ever seen. These self-important dipshits really should enlighten us with what is so fucking "relevant" from the early 90's. Perhaps they would say nothing? Then they would reveal themselves as the true frauds they know they are. Ah! Perhaps Vampire Weekend will show us the way.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but why does this article begin with a "maybemae" "review"? Does an AIM review replete with smiley faces and "eh"'s count as a fucking review? Bitch needs to knit me a sweater or something.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 2:08 AM

stupid kids think they know it all when it comes to music. you know nothing. it is actually comical that someone would say that tortoise or built to spill have had no infulence on the music of today.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 9:10 AM

fly on the wall

Posted by michael mc | July 21, 2009 1:25 PM

They look like Woodstock refugees

Posted by tony | July 21, 2009 1:34 PM

What is Woodstock?

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 5:09 PM

Yo La Tengo and Tortoise both have amazing records out this year, hardly can be considered has-beens.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 6:24 PM