Posted in music | pictures on July 18, 2009

photos by Bao Nguyen

Paul McCartney

The new Citi Field received a Beatle baptism Friday night.

Paul McCartney offered the first musical concert at the sterling new venue, an apt parallel to the Fab Four's historic, kick-off show at Citi Field's predecessor, Shea Stadium, 44 long years ago.

Of course, several key differences between 1965 and today made themselves immediately clear.

This time, everyone could hear. And the only "girls" who screamed were gently prompted by Paul.

As a further reference to history, Paul brought out a special guest at one point - Billy Joel, who last summer closed down the crumbling Shea.

Together they performed a song from the '65 performance, "I Saw Her Standing There." [The Daily News]

Paul was also Billy's guest at the final Shea shows. Two more Paul shows at Citi Field to go - the next of which is tonight (Saturday, 7/18). More pictures, some videos, and the complete setlist from last night, below...

Setlist - July 17, 2009:
"Drive My Car"
"Jet"
"Only Mama Knows"
"Flaming Pie"
"Got To Get You Into My Life"
"Let Me Roll It"
"Highway"
"The Long and Winding Road"
"My Love"
"Blackbird"
"Here Today"
"Dance Tonight"
"Calico Skies"
"Mrs. Vanderbilt"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Sing the Changes "
"Band on the Run"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"I'm Down"
"Something"
"I've Got a Feeling"
"Paperback Writer"
"A Day in the Life"/"Give Peace a Chance"
"Let It Be"
"Live and Let Die"
"Hey Jude"

Encores

"Day Tripper"
"Lady Madonna"
"I Saw Her Standing There (with Billy Joel)
"Yesterday"
"Helter Skelter"
"Get Back"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"/"The End"

these photos are great.

Posted by seth | July 18, 2009 11:42 AM

Posted by moop | July 18, 2009 11:46 AM

was there any opener? (doubtful), and does anyone know what time the show begins/ends/ etc... Thanks!! tickket says 5:30 gate, that must be way too early!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:03 PM

same drummer that clapton and winwood had out on tour...

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:09 PM

he was on around 8:45ish

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:10 PM

the only worthwhile thing happening at CitiField in three months. :(

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:14 PM

nothign from mccartney 2, lame

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:14 PM

Crumbling shea my tuchas.Bloomberg just needed a new stadium for his Bloomhattan Le Snobs.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:15 PM

"i can go film this shit tonight for free but i might just go see built to spill at siren. fuck."

Are you serious? Built to Spill always play NY and never at a venue bigger than Irving. Get your priorities straight.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:15 PM

Opener is The Script from Ireland. They were worth seeing, but are exactly the kind of band that BV commenters hate. If you're the type that tends to think pretty much every band with commercial appeal "sucks," you can skip them. They came around 7:30pm and played until a little after 8pm.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:38 PM

is that Dean DeLeo from STP on guitar?

Posted by nanook | July 18, 2009 12:40 PM

Hasn't McCartney been touring with the same setlist for the last couple of decades or so? The Fab Faux mixes it up way more than this.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:45 PM

Paul MehCartney

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:48 PM

Uhhh... Sir Paul MehFartney

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:56 PM

did anyone get to film the show via the flip cam contest? if so, how was it?

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 12:58 PM

Those pictures are great, Bao!

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 1:03 PM

you got some flip talk at the original flip post

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 1:05 PM

awesome

Posted by ed shred | July 18, 2009 1:28 PM

You are RETARDED if you chose a free Built to Spill show over a free fucking Paul McCartney show!

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 1:33 PM

Anyone else win the flipcam ticket?

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 2:42 PM

i did- woo hoooo!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 3:02 PM

After 5:30 I figured I didnt win so I went to see Abe Vigoda at the Whitney instead.

Found out I won after I got home at 10 pm, tried to contact the people at that e-mail but got no replies as of yet if I can still go tonight or thursday.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 3:15 PM

forgot to mention, my notification e-mail was sent at 6:15 pm.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 3:18 PM

Hey woo-hoo. When did you send an email and when did you receive a reply?

I sent an email early this morning and wondering if I stand a chance...
Just curious as I am thinking of buying an actual ticket if I don't win?

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 3:25 PM

Dude, I'm sure even Built To Spill would choose a free Paul McCartney show over the Siren Festival. This is a Beatle we're talking about. Go to the McCartey concert. Don't be an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 4:21 PM

Anyone who actually even has this thought process doesn't deserved to go see Paul for free. Enjoy Built to Spill.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 4:54 PM

"nothign from mccartney 2, lame"

they did play "temporary secretary" on the pa before he came out. no fucking joke.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 5:42 PM

II is the best album ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 6:17 PM

He played Coming Up on Letterman. Set list has varied just about every show. He has played Lennon and Harrison over the last couple of shows and used a bagpipe band in Nova Scotia last week to play Mull of Kintyre. He's played Fireman cuts in California a few months ago. People aren't paying 5G's a ticket to sit in front because he sucks, y'know.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 7:08 PM

seriously, fuck billy joel.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 10:33 PM

your girlfriend is HOT.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 11:06 PM

"People aren't paying 5G's a ticket to sit in front because he sucks, y'know."

They're paying 5G's a ticket to sit in front because THEY suck.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2009 11:26 PM

a lot of hot pussy at the show not a bad gig great drummer and back up vovals oh yea f billy

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 12:49 AM

Info On Flip Cam Contest:

Ok, here's how it went for everyone going Tuesday. When you get to CitiField, go inside the entrance mentioned in the e-mail. The name given is that of a young woman & she'll be inside in one of two places - either a small room immediately to the right of the entrance or in the lobby itself. Be there at the time you're told to be there! You'll be assigned a camera by number (there are 3 different ones, 2 with art from Paul's latest Firemen CD & 1 with his signature - you don't get to choose. They'll have the names of all the winners on a laptop. The camera is about the size & shape of an iPod Nano. Pretty sleek! You get a very brief explanation of what they ask of you & how to work the camera, but here are the basics:
1) Power on the upper right corner.
2) Zoom in & out when the power is on by using the + or - button.
3) You have an hours worth of space to fill. Film whatever you want, from action on the stage, crowd shots, pre-show goings on, etc.

There is a downside, though. We're given passes to get anywhere but on & backstage. Not quite. You can't get into the first section of seating. The camera has a decent zoom, though, for its size. I spent most of the night in the center of the ground next to the area where wheelchair concertgoers were seated.

At the end of the night, return the camera in the same area it was distributed. They'll upload the video & mail it back to you very soon.

Thanks to Paul & everyone who helped organize it! I hope some of the footage can actually be used for something special!

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 1:37 AM

Wait... Power on the upper RIGHT corner? Where's the zoom again? Can you show me? Why are you telling us all that?

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 2:23 AM

Thanks for the detailed info 1:37!

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 2:27 AM

no changes in the setlist that I can remember...

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 2:36 AM

Paul MEHcartney is not DECK.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 2:50 AM

drummer was fucking good. I agree.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 3:00 AM

Hey Anon 2:23, maybe I told you that because as someone who was asked to do that, I would have appreciated someone sharing some of this information after the first night. There was next to no detail provided in the announcement of the contest, with BV failing to cite so much as a source, leading several people to wonder if it was some sort of scam. While it was far from an ideal scenario, I'm glad it was not.

Are we copacetic? Good. Now, go fuck yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 7:37 AM

whatever. i just thought the camera instructions were a bit excessive for a BV post. they tell you how to operate it when you get there. just ribbing you. now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go fuck myself since we're all copacetic now. is that still okay with you & your thesaurus?

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 9:36 AM

8:45'ish start time is confirmed?

Posted by frank | July 19, 2009 11:28 AM

yeah- paul came on right around 8:45-8:50 and played a 2 1/2 set. it was 1 of the best shows i've seen in a while

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 12:00 PM

the flipcam thing was very awesome! but it was tough convincing security that i won a contest b/c all they give you is a sticker and the camera. and there are apparently 200+ security people and about 30 of them know about this contest. you have to speak to someone in a yellow shirt, the maroon shirts don't know sh*t. so for me, it took a while to convince people that i was legit... but once i did, i got into the VIP Sterling Section and stayed there the whole night b/c i didn't want to risk not getting in anywhere else. it was a little far from the stage, but it was still VIP- not packed, a bathroom near by, right next to the bar and food, a real chill crowd. it was so insane, i still can't believe i won something, let alone this!

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 12:03 PM

Anyone that would make a negative comment about Paul McCartney doesn't deserve to listen to music.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 12:20 PM

Last night's show was one of the best I've ever seen. Holy shit. Paul can still rock out WELL. Great, great time.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 1:50 PM

BTS > Paul McC

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2009 2:00 PM

I'm going to the concert Tuesday night. Did they allow digital cameras in?

Posted by Jen | July 19, 2009 6:52 PM

Saw some people with digital cameras on the floor. As long as they are not SLRs I think you should be fine.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:22 PM

Anonymous @ 12:45: he hasn't been playing the same set for the past two decades or so, in fact he didn't play any concerts at all from 93-02 and you should consider us lucky he has been playing so much for his audience this decade. As for the variety in his setlist, I saw him on Friday and at a concert in 2005, and 16 of these songs are different from the '05 show.

I agree the Fab Faux are amazing and do a great job with setlists, but you can't compare their shows to seeing the man himself. Also, they have the benefit of being able to do as many John and George (and Ringo) songs as they want.

Posted by Oddjob | July 20, 2009 1:05 PM

Generally I don't post comments, but I really think your photography is beautiful. You managed to capture some of the excitement, and crush, of a big stadium show. Several of the shots are quite poignant. You obviously have a great camera, but much more significantly a great eye and sense of composition. I really enjoyed this collection of shots.

Posted by Elliott | July 21, 2009 12:06 AM

What time did the shows end? Got to Catch a 11:05 train..figure I might miss a bunch?

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 12:23 PM

It was over by 11:30, but yes, you will miss some good stuff. You should reconsider!

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 12:30 PM

If I haven't seen him 2 other times I probably would stay. If I hear Day Tripper I will be happy...

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 1:09 PM

Great band. Abe Laboriel Jr. is the drummer and looks like Jason Falkner is one of the guitarists. Not sure who the other two guys are.

Posted by Jeff | July 21, 2009 5:25 PM

jason falkner? next thing you're going to tell us that's gary busey on the other guitar. moron.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 11:04 PM