Posted in music | tour dates on July 28, 2009

Black Francis (Grand Duchy) @ Siren (more by Tim Griffin)
Grand Duchy

In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the release of their classic 1989 album Doolittle, the band - Black Francis, Kim Deal, Joey Santiago and David Lovering - will kick off the very special US "Doolittle Tour" at the Palladium in Los Angeles on Wednesday, November 4. The U.S. tour will hit a total of nine cities, including three dates in New York City. Ticket prices and on-sale dates will vary city to city, but some tickets go on sale as early as this Saturday, August 1 and can be purchased at the venues' box offices or online at Ticketmaster See below for full itinerary and on-sale information.

On this tour, the Pixies will perform all of the songs from Doolittle and its related B-sides, "Weird at My School," "Dancing the Manta Ray," and "Bailey's Walk" among them. Doolittle, the band's third album and the first to chart on Billboard's album charts, includes classics such as "Debaser," "Wave of Mutilation," "Here Comes Your Man," "Hey," and "Gouge Away."

"We wanted to do something special for Doolittle's 20th anniversary," said Black Francis, "and we thought his was a good opportunity to play all of the songs from that album, something we don't normally do at a regular gig."

The European dates were announced about a month ago. In 2004 the Pixies played eight shows at Hammerstein Ballroom. This time they've announced three 2009 shows at the same venue. Those and all North American dates below...

Pixies - 2009 Tour Dates
November 21 Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, IL - on sale September 12
November 23 Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY - on sale August 14
November 24 Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY - on sale August 14
November 25 Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY - on sale August 14
November 27 Wang Center, Boston, MA - on sale September 12
November 30 Constitution Hall, Washington, D.C. - on sale September 11

Frank Black's new band Grand Duchy just played NYC this month.

The Breeders are touring in August and sort of playing BAM in October.

(thx Hiro, Bao, mom, dad, everyone!)

HamMEHstein Ballroom

Posted by Venkman | July 28, 2009 1:58 PM

They really need to Do Little to sell out those shows..

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:01 PM

Was just wondering when these dates would be announced... So hitting this up... One of the greatest albums of all time in its entirety... Awesome...

Posted by Charles | July 28, 2009 2:02 PM

too bad these are at Hammerstein. I even would have preferred T5.

Posted by wembley | July 28, 2009 2:04 PM

Wang center.

Posted by KC | July 28, 2009 2:04 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:08 PM

'I can almost bet that these shows won't sell out'

Dumbest comment of the week...and it's only Tuesday. Kudos to you, sir.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:12 PM

The whole "play an entire album in its entirety" concept is pretty played out at this point. As a big fan of a band, it's slightly annoying to know exactly what they are going to play before you go into a show. It takes away a lot of the surprise element.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:14 PM

2:14, I know it is but it is fun to see some songs that haven't been played live. Hell, I am going to see the Cult do Love and they have never done Black Angel live...

Posted by Charles | July 28, 2009 2:18 PM

I agree with 2:14pm.. the novelty has worn off.. it is nice to have some kind os suprises there.. and this show will be sell out pretty quick.. that is what happened in 2004 @ hammerstein.. they announced 2, everyone ran to get tix, sold out they added another 2, then it turned to whatever it was they wound up doing. Pixies were smart about it, creating demand for those that couldn't get tix for the first released shows. I bet they do the same again.

i was at the 2004 hammerstein shows, and had only ever seen them live @ studio54/The Ritz during the Tromp Le Monde tour. It was a very good show, both of them. I won't do this again though.

Whoever likes Terminal 5 over Hammerstein is INSANE.. that place is awful. I am 5'9 and the sightlines are horrendous if you are not very close up. I hate that place and will never go there for anything again. Hammerstein is IMO one of the best larger sized venues in the city, and the sound is also pretty good.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:22 PM

2:18

I see what you're saying, and I agree to an extent. I think if a band wants to do something like this, they should play 2 sets - 1 set being the featured album and then an abbreviated second set. I realize that the two set format is somewhat foreign to most modern rock/indierock bands....but if you're at the point in your career that you are playing an entire "classic" album, you should have the repertoire to play 2 short sets.

- 2:14

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:24 PM

hope tickets aren't more than $30

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:26 PM

Hahahha the tickets will be at least $50 with service charges and won't be worth going....

I wish Radiohead would play Ok Computer or Kid A in its entirely.....

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:37 PM

I rather see Radiohead do Pablo. They play a ton of Ok and Kid A songs at their shows very few Pablo. Blow Out would rule! I like the full album format...especially of older albums that I was not old enough to see the band on that tour!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:45 PM

I wish you would entirely shut the hell up you homo..

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:47 PM

Yeah, these "entire albums played live" shows have to put on the breaks. I like being surprised by a setlist instead of watching and hearing a live reenactment of what I could just put on my stereo. The only thing that might be cool is if they shuffled up the songs instead of playing them in order.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:49 PM

No one is speaking they are typing bro! Must be the voices inside your head! Man Radiohead should play Inside My Head!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:50 PM

I went to one of the reunion shows back in December 2004, and the band played pretty much all of Doolittle plus a ton of other songs. If the band doesn't do two sets--Doolittle and songs from the other albums--then this show isn't really worth going to. The album is, what, just over half an hour long?

Posted by Regular reader | July 28, 2009 2:52 PM

"Why not 3 nights at Irving Plaza? I can almost bet that these shows won't sell out"<-------------Are you high?

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:52 PM

They are playing the bsides too thats neat!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:52 PM

I saw them 3 or 4 times back in the day & they always played the B sides. Most of the B sides were the highlight of the show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 2:59 PM

I'm sure they'll doomore than just doolittle. The Bunnymen did 2 sets for their Ocean Rain shows. One was the album, and then an extra 9-10 song set.

And there will be non doolittle encores at the very least.

Posted by Themeless Tony | July 28, 2009 3:00 PM

No I'm just saying I rather see the bands play at Irving Plaza than Hammerstein.....

I rather be not get stuck seeing bands at venues like Hammerstein, T5, Roseland, and etc....

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 3:01 PM

the back-to-back entries on deerhunter/pixies make me feel so nice. like the finest spice. condoleeza rice? pearl tea with ice? yes that will suffice. maybe even entice.

spaghetti and meatballs

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 3:09 PM

Hammerstein and T5 are bad (T5 more so): bad-to-mediocre sound, horrible sightlines unless you're up close.

But I've never understood the hate for Roseland. Every show I've ever seen there (Stooges, Motorhead, etc. etc.) had good sound and decent sightlines. And it never felt too packed, not even in sold-out shows.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 3:29 PM

i understand hammerstein isn't the best, but its totally inoffensive and fine. this is what a 2500-4000 capacity venue is. whether it be roseland or hammerstein or t5 or the electric factory in philly or another one in any other city in the world. of course you'd rather see them at irving plaza. i'd rather see them at james murphy's house. the only other realistic option considering the demand would be something like two nights a radio city or the theater at msg. but they just aren't going to play 8-10 nights at irving, not realistic.

and i for one am a big fan of the "play the whole album" thing. just saying.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 3:37 PM

oh man, HEY is my favorite song ever.... damn, this IS gonna be expensive too...

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 3:37 PM

Roseland never felt packed? Hahaa.

The Hammy has much better sight lines than Roseland, and it's bigger. The sound is probably pretty equivalent, though. Not great, not terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 3:38 PM

When will Operation Ivy reunite?

Posted by citibank | July 28, 2009 3:38 PM

I heard BrooklynVegan is going to play this entire thread live from start to finish at United Palace or Terminal 5 and Animal Collective are opening, who will be doing a DJ set of the next Dirty Projectors album but on cassette though, and WAVVES is going to selling popcorn with exclusive vinyls of Vivian Girls next-next album to be handed out to people who arrive dressed like Ed Droste but with a photo of St. Vincent that says "Saint Vincent is my aunt" in their arms. Yeah.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 3:48 PM

how many shows you all gonna got o

Posted by dsfsdf | July 28, 2009 3:50 PM

For those who disliked "albums in their entirety" I would say two things:

1. The Decemberists played "Hazards of Love" in its entirety recently, and all snark aside, it was one of the best things I have seen all year. They took a 10 minute break and played a terrific, if not somewhat predictable, hour+ set. This can back fire...if anyone remembers Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour, they played that entire piece of crap first, before they got the "the good stuff". So it can go both ways, but i think there is little doubt about the quality of Dolittle.

2. We are slowly becoming a culture of greatest hits buyers and listeners. Apple has even admitted as much and is trying to find a way to sell more albums through various (and unlikely to work) gimmicks. This is the Pixies gimmick to get people to their show by offering something known (a whole album) rather than just packaging another "Greatest Hits" show. To know that they are going to play one of their best albums all the way through and one I have never had a chance to hear it live before, is a treat and something that feels worthwhile to me. It is a gimmick for sure, but one that I am more than happy about.

Posted by Bob Roberts | July 28, 2009 3:55 PM

James Murphy's house FTW

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 3:56 PM

snooze.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 3:56 PM

3:55pm, on your first point, with Decemberists playing Hazards of Love or Mastodon playing their newest akbums in their entireties, its different because those albums are relatively new and in most cases haven't been around long enough to be played to death by the listener. In many instances, some people in the crowd may be hearing those songs for the first time ever in a brand new sense whether it be live or recorded. While the setlist is still predictable, it's still a lot fresher because many people are hearing every single song live for the first time, and not just the random tracks in between all the hits of a landmark album that was made 10 years ago which the band never saw fit to put onto a their regular sets.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 4:08 PM

daft punk is playing at my house, at my house

i'll show you the ropes, 3:56, i'll show you the ropes

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 4:15 PM

They really phoned in those 2004 Hammerstein shows. There was nothing fun or exciting about those songs played exactly like they are on the albums by a bunch of people who looked really bored.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 4:16 PM

yeah yeah yeah. we all went to the shows back in 2004, when the "reunion tours" had yet to satiate the concert market (as well as the "whole album" gimmick.) pixies are one of the most important modern rock outfits of the last 30 years, and are beloved my millions worldwide. why spend the next 3 years(presumably tours backing bossanova and TLM (francis has already confirmed bossanova tour) playing material that everyone knows front and back. this smacks of lazy, crass bullshit and frank black seems to me less engaged with the public and his creative self by the minute. they will tour the universe, selling out every arena they play, looking bored, and then bowing and waving with false sincerity. FUCK YOU FRANK BLACK: fucking get over your fat, insecure self and write some fucking NEW, ROCKING PIXIES MATERIAL with your brilliant band mates. grand duchy my ass.

Posted by quilty | July 28, 2009 4:17 PM

3:48 made me laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 4:19 PM

I love the Pixies but this shameless. Gouge away.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 4:21 PM

4:19 made me laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 4:26 PM

hey 4:17 frank black wanted to record a new pixies album but it was Deal that said no. so check yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 4:27 PM

@4:17 - geez, whats with the hate, let's see you go on tour and perform something, punk. people expect too much. you're not going to get utter perfection. people who will pay to see this are going to be pretty serious pixies fans. (+=nostalgia) i was actually pretty impressed in 04 that it sounded as tight as it did.

Posted by Surfer Rosa | July 28, 2009 4:31 PM

in a recent interview, black francis said that kim deal is putting together a song that was recorded when they did Bam Thwok.

there's a good chance that they will be working on something new by the time november comes around. if not then that sucks.

im gonna see at least one of these shows, but I agree- the pixies should make some new fucking music!

Posted by frank black | July 28, 2009 5:01 PM

Dolittle is only a 40 minute long album. I'd imagine they'd do some more songs after that...

Posted by The End of Irony | July 28, 2009 5:08 PM

i would love to see aeroplane over the sea in its entirety. aside from that i can't think of anything else i'd want for that gimmick.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 5:56 PM

When will Minor Threat reunite?

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 7:40 PM

gimmick? what gimmick? they're good songs. the same reason people see shakespeare year after year: they're good lines.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 8:54 PM

gimMEHk

Posted by Venkman | July 28, 2009 9:26 PM

I heard they named a tiny seaside new jersey town after Kim.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 10:18 PM

if people would stop buying tickets to these shows maybe these bands would stop re uniting and go back to where they came from and die.

Posted by michael musto | July 28, 2009 10:47 PM

Michael Musto sucks moose cock

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2009 10:58 PM

Time for some new shit, or stop this madness. Coachella was cool...but then every other festival...then club shows.... playing the same set, not so much.

Loved them in the beginning: the soundtrack of my youth, ecstatic about the reunion: nostaglia won over my better judgement, less pumped about the reunion/reunion: what the phuck is this, & totally done with this silly shit their pulling now.

The creative juices should be flowing, so either ask for some pointers from Dino Jr, Mission of Burma, or even the phucking Smashing Pumpkins on how to get some new quality shit out, or leave us alone with our memories because at this point shameless is putting it mildly.

And I don't want to hear about how a new generation is having an opportunity to hear them, phuck the new generation, they don't have to keep playing the same ole shit live for their influence to continue to be felt.

And a warning for RATM if they play another single live date without putting out some new material, I'm blasting your sorry asses as well, and it's because I love you and we don't need another legacy going down the drain.

Peanut gallery....closed.

Posted by B | July 29, 2009 9:30 AM

@2:08

"Why not 3 nights at Irving Plaza? I can almost bet that these shows won't sell out."

Hmm. Are you on crack. 3 nights at Irving Plaza means 1000 people each night.

3 nights at Hammerstein means 3500 people each night.

Obviously the promoter thinks they can sell more tix than 30000 total. That is why 3 nights at Hammerstein.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 9:47 AM

30000?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 3:19 PM

30000000000000000000000000000000000000

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 4:52 PM

They should DOaLITTLE more than just play songs off of one album....... . . . .

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:25 PM

Yes, 30000, they are cramming an extra 6500 people into Hammerstein each night, it is an exciting Guiness world record attempt

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:32 PM

that shows pixies still have relevance. setting world records nowdays!

it said in the press release they will be playing b-sides like bailey's walk and manta ray I think.

those could be c o o llllllllllllllllllllllll

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 5:53 PM

Pointers from Smashing Pumpkins? LOL

These shows will be great for the obvious reasons other than the album is an utter classic. I am sure it will comprise of surprises and what not.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2009 6:16 PM

July 29, 2009 9:30 AM :
I have a great suggestion. If it offends you so much, don't fucking go.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:58 AM

password?

Posted by Anonymous | August 11, 2009 3:47 PM

pw= breeders

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 10:58 AM

My GOD!
Must see them.
MUST.
Buying tickets the moment they come out.

COLORADO!

I hope this stays true
because I never thought I'd be able to see them
due to the fact I'm young and they're getting older.

Cheers!

Posted by Alekx | August 25, 2009 12:17 PM

I love the Pixies but this shameless. Gouge away.

Posted by صور | September 22, 2010 8:42 PM