Posted in music on July 30, 2009

Throwed - "Houston slang, for being wasted, high, or both"

Questove vs Jarvis

The above tweet comes to us from Questlove of the Roots live from Jarvis Cocker's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon taping. The episode will air tonight, after Jarvis is finished playing Music Hall of Williamsburg and around the time The Roots are playing Webster Hall. What is Questlove talking about? Video below...

Cocker invaded the stage at the 1996 BRIT Awards in a spur of the moment protest against Michael Jackson's performance. Jackson performed surrounded by children and a rabbi, while making 'Christ-like' poses and performing his then-recent hit, "Earth Song". Cocker and his friend Peter Mansell (a former Pulp member) performed an impromptu stage invasion in protest. In the ensuing confusion, as security attempted to eject Cocker from the stage, three child performers received minor injuries.

Cocker was later detained and interviewed by the police on suspicion of assault. He was subsequently released without charge. Opinions from the press on Cocker's actions were mixed. The March 2, 1996, edition of Melody Maker, for example, suggested Cocker should be knighted, and Cocker's friend Noel Gallagher, of Oasis fame claimed "Jarvis Cocker is a star and he should be given an MBE". Gallagher is also quoted as saying of Jackson's behaviour "For Michael Jackson to come over to this country after what's all gone on - and I think we all know what I'm talking about here - to dress in a white robe, right, thinking he's the Messiah - I mean who does he think he is? Me?"[1] However, other journalists and the organisers of the BRIT Awards were outraged by Cocker's behaviour. In response to the ensuing media scrutiny of the action, Cocker responded, "My actions were a form of protest at the way Michael Jackson sees himself as some kind of Christ-like figure with the power of healing... I just ran on the stage... I didn't make any contact with anyone as far as I recall."

I'm not sure if that is Jarvis Cocker with a beard or Wesley Verhoeve

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 7:01 PM

anyone have extra tickets tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 7:14 PM

that's dumb. cocker's interference with MJ was classic. also, jarvis cocker > every person involved in hip hops' history

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 7:38 PM

sad cunt, really needs to get over the MJ incident. ....go Jarvis

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 7:38 PM

and you won. you fought the urge. because you didn't want to upset jimmy. quest, when you gonna quit fallon?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 7:42 PM

funny Michael was totally lip synching so its not like he could speak up and Jarvis

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 7:51 PM

Great! Now I'm forced to watch Fallon. A wasted Jarvis is good for the ratings.
I don't know Jarvis that much neither do I know of that incident with Michael (duh!, I was like 9 years old in 1996) now watching that funny clip makes me wanna love Jarvis for some crazy reason

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 8:09 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 8:16 PM

thank you 8:16 for repasting what was already up there.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 8:22 PM

No one cares what a boring Roots douche has to say about anything.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 9:02 PM

? is acting like a :

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 9:15 PM

"? is acting like a :"

Post of the week!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 10:09 PM

actually, about 622K people care it looks like..

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 10:09 PM

drama

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 10:27 PM

Jarvis Cocker has more talent in one hair on his head than Questlove has in his entire body.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 10:31 PM

seeing jarvis and questlove in a fight would be pretty fucking surreal.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 10:33 PM

Jarvis Cocker has more talent in his non-child-molesting dick than MJ did in his entire being.

Posted by barry | July 30, 2009 11:12 PM

What time does Jarvis go on?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 11:21 PM

jarvis cocker, narcissist fool! since jc couldn't be as famous a mj, jc had to try to make a fool of mj. but in the end jc made a bigger fool of himself, because jc will be remembered in perpetuity as a minor footnote in jackson's never-to-be-forgotten career as one of the dorks who interrupted mj's live performances. no one is going to remember jc.

the roots>>>>>>>>>>jarvis cocker.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 11:29 PM

TEAM JARVIS!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 11:37 PM

their all fucking douches

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 11:47 PM

11:29 - Ain't buying it.

Posted by bill | July 30, 2009 11:52 PM

Michael Jackson didn't invent the moonwalk. Just popularized it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 12:01 AM

I love Jarvis. That said, anybody putting down Michael Jackson or The Roots because of what their feelings towards Jarvis may be is a fucking idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 12:10 AM

I started to type out a snarky response to all the above, then quickly realized I don't give a shit.

Posted by rajah of rehab | July 31, 2009 12:41 AM

the pains of being peggy wang>>>>>>>>>>bea arthur>>>>>>>>>>>jarvis cocker>>>>>>>>>>tempest bledsoe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>capri sun>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>colon cancer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the roots

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 1:36 AM

you've got capri sun way too low

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 2:09 AM

If everyone saw JCs performance on Fallon tonight, he wouldn't have had to move his show from Terminal 5 to the Music Hall! It was great... he is so good live.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 2:30 AM

has anyone found his Jimmy Fallon performance online yet?

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 3:02 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2009 8:16 PM

Thanks for pasting that because people need reminding how nutty a narcissist M.Jackson was.
Its sad Questlove is all bent out of shape about that. Wasn't Michael a Jehovah's witness, doctor shopping junky,secret passage room kinda guy with kids over all the time? No matter how sugary sweet his songs are theres something terribly wrong which is the case with many 70's 80's wholesome stars.

Jarvis Cocker has talent and knows himself. .

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 4:23 AM

Jarvis Cocker is a rotten twat.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 4:51 AM

ah, and so it goes, all music and their babbling blend into each other, no separation, no taste, it's all the same, right?
who gives a shit what 'questlove' thinks about jarvis cocker?? i guess many, unfortunately.
so everything blends into an incoherent soup of all types of music.
does anyone have the ability to distinguish anymore.
questlove, go play your tired bland tunes to those who enjoy. who cares. commenting on jarvis cocker? please.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 5:07 AM

How do we know Questlove's tweet wasn't meant tongue-in-cheek, hmmmmmm?

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 5:16 AM

stop making sense, 516

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 5:22 AM

The only thing that I'm going to fight once I see Jarvis onstage is the urge to shag Jarvis while he performs. You'll never know the dirty things that I might do to him. Wrrrr, that dude is hot. (Sorry, can't help it!)

As for Questlove, Jarvis won't fight you, he's a lover, not a fighter.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 5:37 AM

All these bitch ass Anon posters wtf?! I Like Jarvis Cocker a sharp wit and a sharp style, Quest is one of the best Drummers working and none of you Know a goddamn thing about MJ, only what you've seen on the TV. That said it's great that all these kids have a place to vent their subtle racism instead of Anon flaming people on myspace or something. It's like summer camp for loser idiots on BV during the summer.

Posted by Rw | July 31, 2009 7:20 AM

6:13 that was a boring performance.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 8:24 AM

I would like to put my cock in a jar...any Questions?

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 9:01 AM

Are you kidding me?
No one cares about either of these clowns!
MICHAEL JACKSON IS DEAD!
. . . and that was the worst Tweet ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 9:47 AM

Yeah right 7:20......Its a black thing

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 10:04 AM

meh

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 10:57 AM

questlove iz an overwaitdueuche

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 11:05 AM

Black Fag

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 12:31 PM

# of Cocker and Pulp songs I can even remember = 0

# of MJ songs that made me say "HOLY SHIT!" then proceed to dance my ass off = COUNTLESS

Winner by a landslide, wait, make that no contest = Micheal Jackson

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 1:09 PM

what type of asshole goes onstage to "protest the way an artist sees himself"? what a cry baby.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 1:25 PM

dude's a windbag. i think you all should hop off.

realize someone in this brain trust of musical theorists just called Questo a "black fag."

how can anyone take themselves seriously with that fucking idiot as a member of the discussion?

i guess i'm taking myself pretty seriously right now huh? is that what you were gonna write? yea...well...

you really, reallly... deep down inside... think jarvis is more talented than michael jackson? really dude...

Really?

Posted by fuckjarvis | July 31, 2009 1:34 PM

# of children molested by Cocker or Pulp

# of children molested by MJ = countless

It's the only number that matters.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 1:37 PM

Oops, forgot the important "= 0" part ;)

# of children molested by Cocker or Pulp = 0

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 1:38 PM

# of times MJ was found guilty of molesting children = 0

so drop that already

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 2:01 PM

Also # of people who wanted to dip into MJ's pockets by claiming he did this or that = Countless

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 2:03 PM

This inbred english loser should get out of America. We don't need his type here.

Posted by AL | July 31, 2009 2:50 PM

"# of times MJ was found guilty of molesting children = 0

so drop that already"

if by "found guilty" you mean "paid a settlement to plaintiffs, who then dismissed criminal charges": 2

MJ was a great musician, there's no need to condescend to him by pretending he wasn't a pedophile

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 2:53 PM

Why is it Questlove's (?love - ?) business what the Fuck Jarvis did to MJ in 1996? Get over it. Hey, here's an idea, Why doesn't every artist pretend like they gave a shit about Michael for the last 10 years when he couldn't even get himself arrested (for anything but molestation charges) just to try and cash in on his apparently newfound "popularity" and make themselves look "benevolent" for overlooking his retarded antics in the intervening years since the last time he had any sort of hit. Shame on all you people! Jarvis is a fucking true artist, and so WAS Michael Jackson (kind of- lets be honest, Heal the world is super gay), before he turned in to a media Freak-show. Everyone needs to get off of Michael's dick. He fucking died, and three months ago, nobody would have defended his creepy ass, nor have been associated with a twice-accused molester ass. Not even ?love (or however the hell you spell it).

Posted by Awesome | July 31, 2009 3:32 PM

"# of times MJ was found guilty of molesting children = 0"

# of times OJ was found guilty of murder = 0

That means he didn't do it. I guess the real killer is still out there...

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 3:43 PM

LOLOMGLMAOROFLBBQ jiMmY fAlLon!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 4:03 PM

srsly, lets face it the truth, pulp is absolutley meaningless in the lexicon of modern music. that band maybe had a splinter of relevance in 95 or 96. JC performance was unorginal and boring, he looks like a washed up poor mans drunk tom green.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2009 5:21 PM

Black Flag, obviously....

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:54 AM

Look-

MJ was great when I was a kid and my little girl loves him now.

Pulp and Jarvis Cocker had much more meaning for me as I got older. They had a profound impact on my musical taste as well as my outlook on society.

Michael had his share of antics too. I remember watching him getting Stranger and Stranger in the '90's and wishing for it to stop. I know he had his reasons but it was still hard to watch my childhood idol metamorphose like he did. I think that's sort of what Jarvis was aiming at in 1996- but he even says that it was an incident from "the dim and distant past". It looks to me like he was slightly bothered by the whole thing being re-hashed.
Despite all this, I do think MJ did some brilliant work during that time and I disagree with Jarvis' assessment of Michael's post-1980's Music.

I think Michael was on his way to redemption with "This is it" but he was taken away before it all happened. That's the tragedy. We are all hurting over Michael's absence.

I don't think Jarvis ever intended to compete with MJ. I certainly don't believe he was jealous of Michael and likely didn't expect to be liked to him for the rest of his life.

Questlove- let it go.

It has NOTHING to do with you.....and it's a little freaky that you'd get all aggro about it now- 14 years after the fact.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2010 5:05 PM

I don't know Jarvis that much neither do I know of that incident with Michael

Posted by منتديات | October 2, 2010 5:20 PM

Posted by منتديات | October 21, 2010 4:50 AM

It is strange I dont know but I think is deferent .

Posted by كورة | November 3, 2010 6:26 PM

Posted by منتديات | November 3, 2010 6:29 PM

Nice music , I think so wonderfull , thank you .

Posted by fred | July 26, 2011 8:08 PM