Posted in music | pictures on July 20, 2009

photos by Chris La Putt

Siren Festival 2009

"Largely unfamiliar with the bands on the roster, my husband and I went to Coney Island on Saturday to see Built to Spill headlining on the main stage of the annual Siren Music Festival. Normally, I love free shows. I like the freedom to walk away from a disappointing or uninteresting performance-as we did from Monotonix-without feeling guilty. And ticketless shows tend to draw all types, which appeals to the voyeur in me. Neither of us had been to Coney Island before, so it was mildly amusing to see the confluence of century old kitsch and aggressive marketing tactics by softdrink companies. (We tried a sample of something called Vio, "the world's first vibrancy drink," and it tasted vaguely like flourescent lighting and perfume.)

Anticipating the rush toward the stage as Built to Spill began, we found a decent spot where we'd be able to hear the band, if not see their faces. It was as close as we could get without my cheeks grazing across sweaty pectorals while trying to squeeze through. This is the point at any show when the fan in me starts to grin and breathe faster, to feel like I'd rather be right here than anywhere else in the world. To our horror, not only were the people around us talking so loud that we could barely hear the music, they weren't even facing the stage. The crowd was mingling as though at a singles mixer, drink in hand, shouting over the din, completely oblivious to the band on stage.

Now, while I've been known to complain about NYC hipsters at opportune times (like when I'm on the downtown L train), I generally think people are too hard on them. They're pretty benign as far as contrived fashion/music subcultures go. But when they prevent me from hearing and seeing a live performance by one of my favorite bands, simply because they can't stop yakking and flirting for a single minute, I feel, well, displeased.

Next show is hopefully Trail of Dead at All Points East. I'm bringing pepper-spray and my slapping hand." [Home on the Fringe]

I think she means All Points West, which is actually just one of four shows that Trail of Dead has coming up in NYC.

Chris's Built to Spill pics are HERE, Raveonettes pics HERE, and the rest below...

Siren Festival 2009

A Place to Bury Strangers

A Place to Bury Strangers

A Place to Bury Strangers

A Place to Bury Strangers

A Place to Bury Strangers

A Place to Bury Strangers

The Raveonettes (MORE HERE)

The Raveonettes

Monotonix

Built to Spill (MORE HERE)

Built To Spill

Spank Rock

another set of pictures from the festival coming soon.

Monotonix was by far the best performance at Siren.
I hope others caught it...

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 9:31 AM

what the hell is a Downtown L Train.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:00 AM

i fucking hate cut off jean shorts

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:05 AM

"i fucking hate cut off jean shorts"

I also have no idea how they become popular.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:23 AM

Never been to Coney Island?
Downtown L train?
All Points East?
Built to Spill is one of your favorite bands?

Who the fuck is this person?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:26 AM

god damn kids and their apple phones and their south by points east.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:26 AM

honestly

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:33 AM

Yeah. People having a good time angers me! How dare they?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:38 AM

Did anyone else think Grand Duchy were really disappointing?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:39 AM

Whoever this person is, she's got one thing right: Siren is usually a fuckin' waste of time for anyone there for the music. Between the bad sound, the Cyclone rattling loudly right next to the main stage, the relatively low stages, the long-and-narrow rectangular crowd area ensuring that most of the audience is far away from the stage, etc. etc., there's no way to enjoy the actual performances, musically or visually. It's nice to go down there if you want to spend a day with your friends in the sun; not for the music though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:40 AM

Them tits are big.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:46 AM

monotonix blew everyone away. and that is no insult to the rest of the bands who were fantastic despite sirens terrible sound. i've just never witnessed anything like it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:57 AM

Great wrap up of the Siren Fest, never read a more insightful piece in my life!

My mind is BLOWN.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 11:00 AM

I thought the sound was surprisingly good. Fun day and the price was right!

Posted by loudness | July 20, 2009 11:02 AM

Future if the Left was the strongest band that I saw at Siren. They sounded like a cross between Death From Above 1979 and Therapy?. Monotonix seems like the kind of wild, energetic band that could be life-changing one night and a waste of time the next. Playing self-indulgent metal guitar solos masquerading as songs on the floor where they could not be seen by 95% of the audience puts their Siren performance in the latter category.

Posted by nrvsnrg73 | July 20, 2009 11:10 AM

"Never been to Coney Island?"

I was amazed to. The Siren fest has been around NINE YEARS!!! How come you never made it to Coney Island before?

I skipped this year (and last year too). The first seven were amazing, but the lineup is not worth the hassle. Nothing can match the first Siren. Now that was a festival!

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 11:11 AM

Future of the Left was the strongest band that I saw at Siren. They sounded like a cross between Death From Above 1979 and Therapy?. Monotonix seems like the kind of wild, energetic band that could be life-changing one night and a waste of time the next. Playing self-indulgent metal guitar solos masquerading as songs on the floor where they could not be seen by 95% of the audience puts their Siren performance in the latter category.

Posted by nrvsnrg73 | July 20, 2009 11:26 AM

i saw hot redheads, an abandoned thong, and a glow-in-the-dark grill. the day was not a loss. also, hot dudes: http://nanabanana.typepad.com/nana_banana/

Posted by colleen | July 20, 2009 11:45 AM

Regarding the layout of Siren, I always thought the main stage should be on Stillwell as it is a wider more accessible space. Then put the second stage at the base of the Cyclone.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 11:59 AM

people lashing out on "hipsters" is just dumb. I'm sorry there are a lot of white, middle class kids who like independent music-- is that really so bad? 'cuz i'm one of them, and i try not to be a dick or anything bother people...

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:19 PM

didnt das racist play with bear hands?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:21 PM

I have to agree - there is too much talking at shows - all shows - even paying ones.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:27 PM

THAT was the best part of siren.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:34 PM

i really wanted to go see built to spill and all those bands i've never heard of. but when i tried to take the downtown L train, i ended up in the meat packing district. maybe next year!

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:40 PM

why in the fuck would anyone play a steinberger bass?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:46 PM

"i fucking hate cut off jean shorts"

"I also have no idea how they become popular."

..uh because it's hot outside?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 12:49 PM

it's a so cal hipster/skater thing, i first noticed the cut off jean shorts there around the year 2000.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:00 PM

I was behind the fence over by the kids bouncy castle thing during Built to Spill. No one was talking and i could hear everything great.

guitar solos are fun.

Posted by cargo shorts brah | July 20, 2009 1:02 PM

monotonix were fucking nuts
check out this video

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:05 PM

could be worse, there could be men wearing shorts with "pink" or "nyu" on their asshole....oh wait...

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 1:10 PM

well, i'm sorry this woman had a negative experience, but i actually feel better now that i didn't go. all my friends had bailed on me, and so i've have been trekking out to Coney Island by myself just to hear Built To Spill, and would have been as irritated as this woman was. Seriously, if you don't want to hear the band, go somewhere else!? Anyway, sorry it sucked for this woman, but i feel better about bagging on BTS now!

Posted by brian roach | July 20, 2009 2:05 PM

If you don't want to hear people talking at a show, you should just stay home and listen to the record. Me and my friends go to shows all of the time and we usually don't care who the fuck is playing, we just wanna have a gabfest! And concerts are usually he best place for that. We talk really loud so people can hear us over the music. This way eveyone knows how fucking cool we and our lives are. If you don't like listening to us, it's just because you're lame and jealous. Losers.

Posted by Gabby | July 20, 2009 2:24 PM

New Rule - you are allowed to beat the shit out of hipsters who can't keep their mouths shut at events...not just music...all events.

Boy, I'm glad that problem is solved.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 2:35 PM

My douchiest dancing yet!

Posted by Val Loper | July 20, 2009 2:38 PM

2:24pm, ha!

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 3:02 PM

Bear Hands (& yes -Das Racist played w/ them) & Frightened Rabbit were amazing. The 1st part of Spank Rocks' set was great but once that girl came out, it was downhill from there. Loved the way they told the crowd to jump over the barricade and take over the VIP area in front of the stage. I have said it before & will say it again - someone needs to start a website: "Douchebags Who Can Not Shut Up at Concerts." I have many pictures to post on that site.

Posted by Claire | July 20, 2009 4:16 PM

I heard that Monotonix is actually from New Jersey. If this is true, I am no longer a fan!

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 9:28 PM

fuck everybody. siren kicked ass.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:50 PM

"fuck everybody. siren kicked ass."

If Siren 2009 kicked ass, how would you describe Siren 2001/2002/2003, which were far better?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 10:59 PM

Yes 10:59, everything was better in your day. Aren't there some kids on your lawn that you should be yelling at?

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 11:07 PM

the worst Siren fest in memory or history. Scraping the bottom of the barrel basically. BTW- fuck yeah 2003 was the best just look at that line-up

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 11:20 PM

Spoken like a true douche that wasn't actually there. Good job.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 11:27 PM

"Yes 10:59, everything was better in your day."

My day? What are you talking about? 2001 was only 8 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 11:55 PM

Justine D is a fox.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 12:20 AM

8 years can be a life time...

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 1:16 AM

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Sara

Posted by Sara | July 21, 2009 1:17 AM

Siren 2001: Never Forget

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 1:34 AM

did justine d play you her favorite cds? what an awesome dj. she plays one song everyone likes, then another, then another. just like listening to an ipod. also, i think her personal brand is really cool, im going to try it for myself.

loved spankrock, amanda, and sonik, thats the hottest thing since black eyed peas. move over fergie LOL

Posted by lulzfahma | July 21, 2009 10:42 AM

Amanda Blank rapped a lot more—and a lot more consistently—than the two fellas who shared the stage with her. You know, the two dudes who mostly posed for the cameras.

Posted by nrvsnrg73 | July 21, 2009 10:53 AM

amanda blank is my favorite rapper. she raps so good.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 11:01 AM

"why in the fuck would anyone play a steinberger bass?"

Apparently to leave people like yourself flabbergasted. It can't possibly have anything to do with their superior tuning stability, that they are nearly impervious to temperature and humidity, or that dead spots rarely develop on the neck. The necks on the originals are missing the truss rod because it isn't needed. Unfortunately, all that innovation is lost on people bent on visual aesthetics and tradition... sucks for them.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 11:54 AM

it could stay in tune for 50 years and never need a set up but they still look absolutely retarded and the tone sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 2:18 PM

Posted my photos of Monotonix's set...I think they capture the essence of the set quite well...click the link on my name for them.

Posted by Cory | July 21, 2009 2:30 PM

on the subject of steinbergers, one could probably also use a similar form of logic to justify wearing crocs.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 2:48 PM

oh my god. i agree about hipster douches talking during shows, but this is the most obnoxiously bad transplant yuppie blog post i have ever read.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 7:51 PM

"Now, while I've been known to complain about NYC hipsters at opportune times (like when I'm on the downtown L train), I generally think people are too hard on them."

Complaining about New York City hipsters if you write for brooklynvegan is like complaining about the Holocaust if you're Hitler. Also, what the fuck is a downtown L train? Retard.

Posted by Owen | July 21, 2009 9:43 PM

I decided to skip this event....
1. Too hot
2. If I wanted to be engulfed by hipsters in the heat: a boom box and the brooklyn bound L train
3. Actually had shit to do.
4. The truth is this year was a horrific line up
5. Who the fuck still goes to siren fest?

Posted by josiah | July 21, 2009 10:39 PM

Oh man, me too! I totally skipped this festival because I knew it would suck and it totally did!

I know this because I didn't go, and if it didn't suck it would have been something I would have gone to.

Also, it was WAY too crowded! Probably!

Posted by Typical BV Commenter Shithead | July 21, 2009 11:32 PM

can't see how the old ones were any better

just different bands I've never heard of with shitty names

The Fever
Electric Six
The Dears
Q And Not U
Tapes 'n Tapes
She Wants Revenge
Man Man
(add lame indie band here)

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2009 12:24 AM

Does anyone here taped Thee Oh Sees performance? Please put it on youtube or dimeadozen. Thanx :)

Posted by Ruby Go Home | July 24, 2009 10:56 AM

there is no downtown L train, idiot. the L is a crosstown train. this is something......everybody knows.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 2:24 AM

the 2009 Siren Music Festival in Coney Island - pics (part 1)!

Posted by disorderpanic | November 30, 2013 8:21 PM