Anthony Gonzalez of M83 @ Irving Plaza 1/24 (more by Toby Tenenbaum)
tonight in NYC
* Mickey Factz @ SOB's
* Aimee Mann @ City Winery
* The Roots @ Highline Ballroom
* Sugar Hill Gang @ Queensbridge Park
* William Elliot Whitmore @ Hudson Square
* Paquito Guzman y Su Orquestra @ St. Mary's Park
* Session at Santas w/ Growing, McDonald's @ Santos
* Charlie Hunter/Doug Wamble/Tony Mason @ Jazz Standard
* Locksley, The London Souls, Glint, The XYZ Affair @ Santos
* This Moment in Black History, Vaz, Pygmy Shrews @ Death By Audio
* Antimagic, Graffiti Monsters, Bradford Reed, Data Dog @ Cake Shop
* Beautiful Small Machines, Red Wire Black Wire @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Boy Crisis, Apache Beat, The Naked Hearts, Class Actress @ Glasslands\
* Anthony Gonzalez (of M83), Janet Biggs @ World Financial Center Winter Garden
* Errollyn Wallen, Margaret Leng Tan, John Wesley Harding, Rita Porfiris, David Grand, more @ LPR
Bastille Day is the French national holiday, celebrated on 14 July each year. In France, it is called Fête Nationale ("National Celebration") in official parlance, or more commonly le quatorze juillet ("14 July"). It commemorates the 1790 Fête de la Fédération, held on the first anniversary of the storming of the Bastille on 14 July 1789; the anniversary of the storming of the Bastille fortress-prison was seen as a symbol of the uprising of the modern nation, and of the reconciliation of all the French inside the constitutional monarchy which preceded the First Republic, during the French Revolution. [Wikipedia]Free music tonight includes Anthony Gonzalez (of M83) and Janet Biggs at
World Financial Center Winter Garden. William Elliot Whitmore plays at City Winery's free outdoor Hudson Square series. NYC Parks host Paquito Guzman y Su Orquestra in St. Mary's Park and Sugar Hill Gang in Queensbridge Park.
Aimee Mann play the second show of her
three-night run at City Winery.
The Roots continue their residency at Highline Ballroom.
WAVVES is supposedly playing Bowery Ballroom tomorrow.
This Week In METAL (07/13/09)
UK singer-songwriter Errollyn Wallen presents a revue-style show, "Are Your Worried About the Rising Cost of Funerals?" at (Le) Poisson Rouge with friends Margaret Leng Tan, John Wesley Harding, Rita Porfiris, David Grand, Djonque and Elizabeth Farnum.
"A 20-foot-long basking shark washed ashore at Gilgo State Park Tuesday morning, according to a park official. The shark was dead by the time the state parks department was notified, said parks spokesman George Gorman." [Newsday]
Bruce Springsteen announced another tour.
This month, Cass McCombs will tour with the Walkmen and play two headlining NYC shows at Joe's Pub and Union Hall. His video for "You Saved My Life," off his new record, is below.
Cass McCombs - You Saved My Life
Ryan Marino sings Wilco