Posted in music | pictures on July 26, 2009

photos by Toby Tenenbaum

ZO2

"I was home most of the day and bored shitless, so I decided to head out to Mercury Lounge [on Wednesday, 7/22] to see a random classic rock/hair metal-ish show, having never heard of any of the bands on the bill. During ZO2's set, they brought out the following guests on consecutive songs, back-to-back:

1.) John Popper on harmonica for what sounded like a ZO2 original;

2.) Marky Ramone on drums for a cover of Zeppelin's "Good Times, Bad Times;"

3.) The lead dude from that hair metal thing on Broadway, Rock of Ages, for a cover of Bon Jovi's "Dead or Alive" (with the guitarist donning a Jimmy Page-esque double neck Gibson);

4.) One of the Steves that was at some point in Journey on guest vocals for a song I didn't recognize. No, it wasn't Steve Perry, you wiseass. One of the other ones." [Tuddd's Muddd]

ZO2 are the stars of the IFC network tv show, Z Rock. The Rock Of Ages guy was Constantine Maroulis who became famous on American Idol. More pictures Z02's set below...

ZO2

Pictures of ZO2 opening for Twisted Sister around Christmas, HERE.

sweet

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2009 11:55 PM

THEY SUCK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted by they suck | July 27, 2009 12:17 AM

"THEY SUCK"

Isn't that sort of the point?

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2009 12:23 AM

Good sold rock and roll. A little too theatrical on stage for my taste but they can play.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2009 8:33 AM

Love ya Marky..but lose the wig!

Posted by Jim | July 27, 2009 10:58 AM

Great photography!

check out: www.brooklynpbjs.blogpost.com

Posted by P | July 27, 2009 11:28 AM

I'm a big C fan (love the 'theatrical' solid rawk!), but Constantine also hooked us up with the great Z02 crew. Had a blast at the show- THANKS for the beautiful photos!

Posted by Judy | July 27, 2009 3:16 PM

LOVED THE SHOW!!!! ZO2 is a great band from Brooklyn. Their original songs are amazing and their covers are great too.
They have a new cd out called Casino Logic and a tv show on IFC called Z-ROCK that is getting great reviews.
Put Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and STP with a shake of Humble Pie/Free, you get ZO2. Check them out for yourself at zo2.com.

Posted by Anthony | July 31, 2009 8:39 AM

Is this site a vegan site or a music site? The reviewer sounded like it was a chore to leave his house. Eat some protein, get some energy!! Live!

The band is awesome! Tons of energy and talent. I saw pretty much the same line-up minus Constantine at their Webster Hall show. Awesome show, I can't say it enough.

Check out ZO2 when they come to your area, you won't be disapointed.

Posted by Bennie | July 31, 2009 9:09 AM

Although I wasn't at this particular show, I have been to many ZO2 shows and have never been even a teeny disappointed. The guest stars at the ML are all on ZO2's IFC show "Z Rock" which is in it's second season. In my book, ZO2 delivers one of the best live shows out there - love them!

Posted by Sue | July 31, 2009 10:58 AM

I was at this show and it absolutely ROCKED!!! ZO2 is a great band. I have gone to many of their shows and have never been disappointed. If you get a chance check them out. Also check out Z-Rock on the IFC channel (Sundays at 11). The show is hysterical.

Posted by Bill | July 31, 2009 11:30 AM

I was at the show ... and think it completely ROCKED! I've been a ZO2 fan for about 3 years now, and am NEVER disappointed when I see them peform live. All three of their CDs (Tuesdays & Thursdays, Ain't It Beautiful, Casino Logic) are kick ass ... but I think they are "at their best" when they are on stage! While not thrilled with Constantine's rendition of a song I love (Wanted Dead or Alive) the rest of the show was AMAZING! If you have the opportunity to check out a ZO2 show - I highly recommend it!!! They are at Mirelle's in Westbury & L'Amour in Staten Island next month. Come on down ... and judge for yourself! I know you'll love 'em!!!

Meanwhile:

"One of the Steves that was at some point in Journey on guest vocals for a song I didn't recognize."

The guest singer was Steve Augeri - also temporarily of Tyketto and currently with Tall Stories. The song was a ZO2 original, Show Me.

And by the way - GREAT PICTURES!!!

Posted by Carol | July 31, 2009 12:25 PM

I was at this show as well - ZO2 ALWAYS rocks whatever stage they take on. Individually, the band's components are great musicians in their own right - David, Joey, and Paulie are former members of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Blue Man Group, and The Howard Stern Show respectively. Collectively, a live ZO2 show delivers a full-on dose of pure hard rock with a retro flavor headed straight out of the amps and drums into your central nervous system. As for the venue - the Mercury Lounge - a pallid, dank sweat-box hole in the wall with lethargic bartenders and an arrogant staff makes a horribly disfigured attempt at pretending to be a trendy NYC club. That said, no matter where ZO2 performs, the one thing you can be absolutely sure of - is that you are guaranteed a great show from a talented and spectacular band!! Excellent photos!

Posted by Chopper | July 31, 2009 3:15 PM

Reviewer indicated boredom earlier in the day. There is no way being at a live ZO2 show could be boring! ZO2 puts on one of the best live shows around. Solid musicianship combined with awesome original material. You can feel the energy in the room when they play. Check out a live ZO2 show and see for yourself what an amazing, fun-filled experience it is! Great pics by the way.

Posted by Jean | July 31, 2009 8:43 PM