Posted in music | pictures on August 1, 2009

photos by Tim Griffin and Chris La Putt

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

"It was announced during Vampire Weekend's rain-soaked but well-attended 6 p.m. set on the main "Blue Comet" stage that due to the weather, single-day Friday tickets would be accepted for festival entry on Saturday and Sunday. This elicited quite a few cheers, presumably from those who had not already purchased weekend tickets. While the early afternoon had been hot and sunny, allowing for clear views of nearby Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, the storm clouds rolled in rapidly just as Fleet Foxes took the stage at 3:30 p.m. The wind, rain and thunder actually worked as fitting accompaniments to the band's dramatic harmonies, a fact not lost on the Foxes themselves. "We kind of look like a guild of wizards here to deliver an ominous warning," said drummer J. Tillman, one of several bearded members of the band. ""I'm going to leave the stage on a horse." [Billboard]
Before we head out to APW Day Two (schedule here), here are some pictures from Friday (7/31)....

Heartless Bastards

MSTRKKRFT

MSTRKKRFT

-----

DAY TWO PICTURES HERE

DAY THREE PICTURES HERE

-----

PREVIOUSLY: Jay-Z closes out rainy Day 1 of All Points West (pic, video)

did liam gallagher approve of jay-z playing here?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 12:12 PM

Karen O is the koolest. Thanks for the great pix.

Posted by drewo | August 1, 2009 12:24 PM

The dude in the Eugene Mirman photos is obviously Smiegel/Gollum, right?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 12:28 PM

how was phone service this year? last year it didn't exist

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 12:29 PM

Phone service was hit or miss - one text message I sent didn't reach its target 'till 45 minutes later...

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 12:38 PM

great pics.

it ended up being a fun messy day and i have to give props to apw. everything was a little better - ferries, lines to get in, slightly better food. and the free tix to sat and sun was smart move (although i guess it means ticket sales are light).

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 12:54 PM

why does MSTRKRFT continue getting on big bills when nobody gives two shits about these hacks???

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 1:00 PM

Karen looked beautiful.

I have to say crowd was a disappointment. Hated that platinum section perk (the pit area where you had to have a platinum bracelet to be let in). Seemed to me like I was 75 feet away even though I was on the barrier.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 1:26 PM

Jay-z was worth the crap ass weather and mud and bugs and mud and mud. did i mention mud. phone service was eh. if you have sprint, you're screwed. during jay-z set a small scuffle broke out near right side of stage. d-bags on x started jumping around and splashing everyone with mud. it was great when some big angry black man slammed the little dbag into the mud after he splashed him. prolly made my night.

Posted by dru | August 1, 2009 1:29 PM

It was funny how like 20% of Jay-Z's crowd left after the shitty Barack Obama song.

Posted by Juggy Gales | August 1, 2009 1:34 PM

all was worth the mud

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 1:36 PM

I have to say when Jay-Z did that I see you thing at the end where he was saying he doesn't take anything for granted and was giving shout outs to people calling people out and saying I see you that was an amazing moment. I had tears in my eyes. It was amazing. Thank you Jay-Z

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 1:44 PM

thought it was really cool JZ open w/ no sleep till brooklyn! nice touch! YYY's kill! Karen O is the the best! Peanut butter wolf rock! MSTRKRFT rocked!

Posted by Dvader17 | August 1, 2009 1:59 PM

That was hilarious and awesome at the same time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 2:03 PM

I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but that camera on a crane was annoying as hell. Granted it got some good shots, but it also blocked the view of thousands of people.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 2:19 PM

I'm surprised no one mentioned Telepathe...

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 2:54 PM

incleMEHnt weather

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 2:57 PM

Really awesome pictures.

Posted by jd | August 1, 2009 3:42 PM

>>Agyness Deyn

thanks for pointing her out...how many BJ's did she give out once she made it backstage????

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 3:56 PM

ready for round 2....woo!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 3:57 PM

Anyone take the path train from 33rd st to hoboken? and Light Rail?

Posted by G | August 1, 2009 4:03 PM

No one mentioned Telepathe because they still managed to suck massively.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 4:04 PM

any pics of matt berninger in the crowd during mr. november?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 5:27 PM

^^^ you must have been right there and want to see your pic....

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 5:59 PM

great pics!

Posted by amphibian | August 1, 2009 9:42 PM

take those two sideways fingers and shove them up your mother's cunt, you faggot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 10:28 PM

^^ Die before having children so the species can evolve at least a little, you douchebag.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2009 11:03 PM

I'm almost definitely alone on this, but I love that Anon 12:28 used the more Jewish spelling of Smeagol, Smiegel.

You know, like the great Jewish comedian, Robert Smiegel.

Posted by Señor | August 2, 2009 1:09 AM

Jay-Z was awesome but that Obama song is godawful.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 1:33 AM

how was day 2? was it crowded?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 1:55 AM

was pretty empty during the day, whole park smelled like horse shit, TOOL destroyed everyone

APW really is a low budget festival though in comparison to pretty much any other major fest i've attended

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 2:05 AM

day 2 videos here:

www.youtube.com/maestro416

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 2:14 AM

be careful if you're planning on posting Crystal Castles videos. I saw their manager in the pit and he was ordering the cameramen around who even had all access passes, screaming and yelling how he didnt want any videos shot by anyone. I think this might be the same guy who then scours the web and notifies youtube that you violated their copyrights.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 2:48 AM

the mud situation is almost comical. it smells like shit in certain places. I mean it smells pretty bad. many many wet spots all around the grounds. don't wear your good shoes that's for sure...

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 3:19 AM

And here comes the rain!

I kinda feel bad for the park..its getting messed up real good.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 8:46 AM

went fri & sat... definitely wear galoshes and bring a poncho. cell service was much better this year than last, at least for me (t-mobile)... also, if you see a long bathroom line, try a different bathroom (or a different bathroom entrance). people are stupid and will just wait in a line when it forms, even if there's no reason to wait in line. no one's mentioned this, but My Bloody Valentine definitely got booed at the end of their set, and seemed to clear out a lot of people, except people who wanted to make sure they got a good spot for Tool.

Posted by meg | August 2, 2009 9:00 AM

that crowd looks atrocious...i mean, seriously pic #4? who brought their dad?? that big honkin ego watch is justttt right for an indie rock fest.

i can only imagine how bad it smelled there too...

this festival continues to be a major "pass" -- after all does anything halfway decent come out of nj? not often. this whole thing screams low budg to me.

and the video i saw of jay-z massacring "no sleep til bklyn?" wow !! ears bleeding!

Posted by wow | August 2, 2009 9:33 AM

I love people who make comments about events when they weren't even there. Very insightful.

As far as MBV. They were def out of place. Their sound was not very good, the vocals were buried so far under the guitars and the open air setting just kills any loudness they are trying to get.

The only entertaining part of the set was when they angered all the Tool fans and they all starting giving them the finger.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 9:49 AM

Who the hell was in charge of the sound board last night. TOOL'S sound sucked!!! I mean FUCKIN SUCKED!!! I love to leave a concert with my ears ringing but when you can't make any sense of the music it's realy not worth it. Just watching TOOL play was great but it would've been better if you could understand what they were playing.

I can't wait to see pic's from today's shows. This rain will make it impossible to even move.

Posted by EZ | August 2, 2009 10:14 AM

@9:49 -- oh sorry, didn't mean to diss your pops.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:20 AM

"The only entertaining part of the set was when they angered all the Tool fans and they all starting giving them the finger"

That was great. I'm pretty sure that the origins of the 20 minute noisefest version of "You Made Me Realise" had more to do with punishing an indifferent auidence, as opposed to being a mythologized fanboy "life-changing event".. although i obviously fall into the latter group..

The sound was much, much, much louder/better at Roseland, but after that show i couln't hear the next day.

MBV obviously aren't going to be a crowd pleasing festival act before a headliner. I still thought Tool/MBV was an intresting pairing

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:28 AM

Is Tool not allowing any pictures???

I know they have been working on something "big"-their own words, anyone?
Was the Stage setup different, any info anyone?

THANKS!

Posted by TXn | August 2, 2009 10:29 AM

I'm going to day and considering wearing gore tex pants and top, and hiking boots. Will that help? This is going to be such a hot mess...

Btw, to the douche "Wow@9:33," you are everything that's wrong with people in general. I would love to punch you in the face.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:29 AM

i wish karen o was my mother

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:33 AM

@10:29 The truth hurts.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:38 AM

>>be careful if you're planning on posting Crystal Castles videos

yes everyone is terrified by posting videos by this total garbage. Will "Alice Glass" throw a tantrum if she discovers shitty video of her shitty "act"

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:48 AM

Recommended footwear for today? Are the grounds completely mangled?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:59 AM

@10:48 she's gonna come to your door and throw a snare drum at you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 11:02 AM

"Recommended footwear for today? Are the grounds completely mangled?"

Anything that you don't ever want to wear again. Or those rubber rain boots. It will take months for those grounds to recover.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 11:30 AM

still has 2 tickets to All Points West music festival TODAY! $55 EACH (i paid $110!) including ferry!!! ColdPlay, Echo & The Bunnymen! MGMT, Ghostland Observatory, The Black Keys, Lykke Li and more! http://www.apwfestival.com/schedule/ email me chinesepenny@gmail.com or call me 917.355.4746

etickets = easy delivery!

thanks!

lynn

Posted by lynn | August 2, 2009 11:50 AM

Footwear: Rubber rain boots (Wellingtons) would be the ticket. That, or old sneakers you will throw away upon getting home. The mud is gross--I've gotten that Liberty State Park mud on my hiking boots in the past and you can't get the smell out.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 12:06 PM

Let me say, I am a Tool fan, but last night, My Bloody Valentine were 10 times more badass. I loved how they pissed off the Tool army, and that last song with the noise breakdown was absolutely amazing. First time seeing them, and they exceeded my expectations. I've seen Tool 6 times and this was by far their weakest performance. Same setlist and visuals as 3 years ago? Come on. Bad sound and indifferent performance.

Posted by panopticon | August 2, 2009 12:08 PM

Go with boots or wear flip flops/sandals.

I wore sneakers the first day and the worst part was the sloshy, cold feeling you get with wet sneakers. better to be either fully waterproof or get something you can get dirty and clean off quick.
Also bring an umbrella. There isn't enough cover for even a tenth of the crowd and you will get soaked if it is raining.

Id even bring a garbage bag and a towel incase you need to sit down.

I went the last two days and there is no way im going today, especially with the forecast.

Its gonna be messy as hell, but you can have fun with it still!

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 12:32 PM

^^

Yikes. Thanks for the info.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 12:38 PM

Pool party, whats the story with that, is it canceled if it rains?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 12:48 PM

^ according to the pool parties, the show is rain or shine. if lightning begins, then acts might get canceled.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 12:51 PM

Well, if the Pool Party happens are there set times to be had? Is it just the single round robin performance?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 1:13 PM

i hear thunder for past half hour. this is gonna be miserable if they evacuate people back and forth from the park. anyone have forecast?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 1:27 PM

it should be lightining up in the next hour
then by six i think isolated thunder storms
tomorrow will be gorgeous

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 1:32 PM

most importantly, ra ra riot girl sporting a rock. probably a BV commenter who hit it

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 2:00 PM

if anyone is going out today and has space in your car, we'd love a ride (2 people, $)

thanks.

Posted by will | August 2, 2009 2:21 PM

When are they gonna open the damn "doors"? Ready to go. Looks good in Montclair. Even see sun. Bring sunglasses. Went Friday--Rain boots and soccer socks are essential as well as a hat, a flask of Crown Royal and a good spirit. Mud is fun and I'm ready for more. Bring it. Open the shit up.

Posted by Andrea | August 2, 2009 3:24 PM

Just loved Kevin Shields pissing off those TOOL fans.....MBV dug in and really stuck it to em plus Alex Turner's sarcastic "everyone looking forward to TOOL" coment was genius.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 5:30 PM

I have a feeling APW will not be back next year...

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 5:50 PM

So, TOOL is a video?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 5:58 PM

Mirman rocks a Secret Wars shirt. Fuck Yes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 7:33 PM

@5:30 Yeah, I got a kick out of Kevin Shields' clear angst towards the Toolheads. Every time they'd start to chant, "Tool! Tool! Tool!" he'd just rip on his guitar to shut 'em up. Awesome. And then the f**kin' ending of "You Made Me Realise" was beyond amazing. When the opening chords kicked in, I got even more excited 'cause I knew those Toolheads' ears would bleed. F**kers.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:02 AM

>>be careful if you're planning on posting Crystal Castles videos

Oh, that explains why there's 1000s of Crystal Castles videos on Youtube, all shot by fans.

Posted by Karey | August 3, 2009 10:26 AM

I wanted to see MBV to be blown away by what should have been an awesome performance. Instead what I got was musical douchebaggery to the Nth degree. That set was a act of total self-fellatio -"Oh look at me! I can play three chords over and over and over again and really loud just to annoy the f*ck out of everyone. We also drown out our voices (because we can't actually sing) but make up pretentious BS about why we do it. I am so f*ing cool I can't stand my own reflection. Awesome!"- Regardless of wether or not your crowd was there to see you or Tool, what they did with "You made me realise" was really childish. Props to the APW fest organizing committee for making such an awesome pairing!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 3:11 PM