Posted in music | pictures on August 2, 2009

photos by Chris La Putt & Tim Griffin

mud, Tool & Ice T
Ice-T

During his Friday night set at the All Points West festival in Jersey City, Jay-Z took a moment to salute trail-blazing gangsta-rapper Ice-T, who, Jay-Z said, was "in the house." And Saturday afternoon, Ice-T took the stage to perform as a backing rapper during Kool Keith's second-stage performance.

"Sometimes it's just cool to stand on the side of the stage and be a hype man," said Ice-T.

He did, though, perform parts of his own raps, "Hardcore" and "God Forgive Me," a cappella.

With his confident, casually commanding flow, he made a strong impression in his few brief moments in the spotlight.

In addition to Jay-Z and Kool Keith, hip-hop acts like Q-Tip, the Knux and the Cool Kids have performed at All Points West. Hip-hop, though, will not figure prominently in the third and final day of the festival, Sunday. [NJ.com]

Though it didn't rain on Saturday (8/1), it was still super muddy. There were dry spots, but you literally could not walk from one place to another without going through some mud. Other highlights of the second day of All Points West included comedy by Tim & Eric in the tent (aka the third stage), back-to-back sets by St. Vincent and Neko Case on the 2nd stage, and the Arctic Monkeys and Gogol Bordello on the main stage. But nothing topped the end of the day. Now fully dark out and perfect weather, My Bloody Valentine, with the Statue of Liberty to their right and the Manhattan skyline straight ahead of them, delivered the power. The hour they played was, for me, the perfect festival experience.

My Bloody Valentine

It helped that My Bloody Valentine, as they are known for being, were LOUD. Maybe they didn't seem as loud as they did inside a club, but they were loud enough that even those in the bleachers were putting on their earplugs if they had them. After their set I ran all the way back to the dance tent (pretty much the farthest distance you would have to ever go at this festival) to catch Crystal Castles. The tent was packed with the largest concentration of youth I'd seen in Liberty State Park up until that point. Everyone was dancing and cheering. Before CC were finished I ran back to the main stage to watch Tool.

During My Bloody Valentine I thought, "well, there are plenty of people here, but I guess they could fit a lot more". Ends up, all of those people that could fit, they showed up for Tool! Did they all just get there? Were they hiding in other areas? Either way, it totally hit me by surprise when I got back to the stage. I was also surprised, but happy, that Tool hadn't gone on yet. They don't play a super long set, so maybe they delayed to make the show go until curfew.

Once they did start, the amount of fist pumping (much bro fist pumping included) going on almost matched the amount of people in the park. I wouldn't consider myself a Tool fan, but there was no denying the awesomeness of their show.

"On a bill loaded with indie rock, Tool seemed initially distinguished by their popularity. They were the only band on Saturday's bill to have a platinum record, and the only performers to have won Grammys, and the only ones with enough starpower to sell out arenas on their own. And yet despite their high profile, Tool hardly behave like a mainstream band. Saturday's set was an exercise in atmosphere -- a dark, riveting performance that minimized the members of band while foregrounding their stranger sensibilities.

Visually, the show was stunning. Tool perform to a series of bleak films mostly created by the artist Adam Jones, and beamed out giant-size across Liberty State Park they seemed more imposing and unnerving than ever. Opening with the sinister, twisting "Jambi," the group slowly worked its way through a set that spanned its small catalog. Part of what makes Tool concerts such visceral experiences is the band's peerless sense of control and release. Songs start with icicle drip guitars and rolling, tribal percussion, steadily building to perfectly timed explosions of sound. When paired with Jones' frightening films, it became more like a theater experience than a concert. At times it was remarkably easy to forget there was a band onstage at all." [Rolling Stone]

I took the light rail to the park, but then the ferry home. Props to APW for making the ferry experience a much, much better one this year (no line at all, huge boats, very quick trip home, and I didn't even leave until Tool was finished).

Pictures from APW day one HERE. More from day two below...

Black Gold

The Cool Kids

The Cool Kids

The Cool Kids

The Cool Kids

The Cool Kids

The Cool Kids

Kool Keith (with special guest Ice-T)

Kool Keith

Chairlift

Chairlift

Chairlift

Chairlift

Chairlift

The Ting Tings

And Courtney Love was there.

DAY ONE PICTURES HERE.

DAY THREE PICTURES HERE

gogol bordello were amazing. just a few years ago they were seconds stagers at similar festivals - glad to see the masses get to experience the magic

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:16 PM

i just dont get it. i barely know 1/3 of these bands and the only ones that id be interested in seeing is mbv and tool.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:17 PM

golden camel toe.

Posted by perv | August 2, 2009 10:20 PM

took two friends with me who'd never seen TOOL before and they were blown away by the show, amazing show.

gogol bordello was a lot of fun as well.

i still don't understand the appeal of MBV (2nd time seeing them) but it's a big world of music out there so not all of it is gonna stick.

APW smelled like a horse's ass.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:22 PM

"Did they all just get there?"

Actually, they did. I walking to the light rail as MBV was ending and tons of people were pouring in.

I didn't stick around for the "You Made Me Realise". Sorry, but MBV were boring. I was one of the many that jumped aboard the bandwagon when Loveless came out, and despite the many listenings over the years, Kevin and Co just look bored on stage. Still love the music though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 10:25 PM

Alice Glass gives me a boner!

Posted by Boner Stabone | August 2, 2009 11:49 PM

Tool played the exact same set they played on their tour 3 years ago, with all the same visuals. They're a great band, but that was super disappointing... as was the 90 minute set.

Posted by panopticon | August 2, 2009 11:51 PM

not that it really matters, but Tool also played the same set on every show of this tour

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 11:54 PM

Ice-T should stick to Law and Order.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:17 AM

Watching the tools getting mad at MBV was the best thing i've ever seen. So much douchewear, axe cologne and testosterone.

MBV were awesome ! 6 mins of feedback just about killed the tools

St Vincent killed it. Neko Case phoned it in. Adrien Grenier gets points for effort, Gogol Bordello were good. Chairlift did well. Left before the mook fest started.

Place smelled like horse shit.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:27 AM

Thought the Arctic Monkeys played a blinder in front of field full of TOOL fans. They were great.....

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:29 AM

neko did not phone it in.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:34 AM

phoned it in

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:36 AM

Cool. When does apw hit pheonix?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:43 AM

for all the mess with the weather, apw did their thing this year. last year was basically two radiohead concerts (not a bad thing) and a hippie day (a bad thing), but this year the bill was strong and the kinks were pretty much all worked out. here's hoping they are able to come back.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:56 AM

anon 12:56 i completely agree i hope radiohead comes back too

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 1:05 AM

MBV > Tool.

Everyone Else > "Tool Army"

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 1:18 AM

Kinda glad I wasn't there on any of the nights, given the choice of Jay-Z fans, Tool fans or Coldplay fans.

Yeesh.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 1:21 AM

volunteered at APW yesterday. the place did smell like horseshit. everything was pretty disorganized. I spoke to some of the photographers and I heard the media was not being taken care of. Shame on APW! plus everything was super overpriced, not that i was paying for anything but i felt hard for the masses.
as for the line up on saturday. it was decent. I'm not a Tool fan, so i didn't really care for them.
I thought Gogol Bordello stole the show. Arctic Monkeys were decent, as was Tokyo Police Club. I actually saw the lead singer of TPC just walking around before the show, heh. MBV was loud and awesome. Most of the people around said they sucked, but hey...its all about what you like.
all in all....twas' ok. except for my lovely farmer's tan. and the mud. i definitely saw those chicks in those pictures wrestling...egh.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 2:06 AM

videos of day 2 up and day 3 being uploaded now here:

www.youtube.com/maestro416

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 2:33 AM

I stayed at Crystal Castles until the end and just as they finished Tool started, I got to that stage just as they were finishing the first song.

Last night tore me up because I wanted to be at the Dan Deacon show. One of the strange things last night was the super zealous security guy who was working that stage. He ordered the MGMT manager out of the pit area (for taking pictures on his iphone!) but then all show long was throwing his weight around making a general nuisance of himself, like telling the photographers where they could or couldnt stand, and not letting these vip bracelets or badges people into the pit or whoever these people were.

Then they brought some girls (about 2 dozen) in I think they were contest winners or something and they let them dance around on the sides of the photo pit, but then on the last song (Kids) Im assuming these girls were supposed to rush the singer who went down on the little platform they set up for him on top of the bass speakers front and center. But the security guy would not let these girls past him. was that the way it was supposed to happen? a bit of a let down.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 2:50 AM

APW was pretty awesome this year. Ferries ran smoothly with no wait or over crowding. No lines to get in to the venue, id check or to get beer. Most bands went on time or close to it. With what was thrown at APW this weekend I think Goldenvoice did a pretty good job running the show. I had the most fun on Friday and Sunday. My Highlights;
Friday=Jay Z
Saturday=My Bloody Valentine (Tool would have been good if they did not whore out the same setlist from their past two tours).
Sunday=MGMT mud pit.
I hope APW makes it back next year.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 2:51 AM

Anyone have the MBV setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 7:29 AM

you blew it if you missed gogol bordello

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 8:23 AM

Having Jay Z as a replacement for beastie boys is like bringing your Ferrari into the repair shop and them loaning you a datsun.

Posted by the man with the mustache | August 3, 2009 8:56 AM

2:06,

How was the media "not taken care of"? I was up near the stage, seemed the photographers got their 2-3 song time.

Only complaint I have about the fest overall was the mud, which obviously is not the fault of the festival organizers.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 8:57 AM

Jay-Z drives a Datsun?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 9:00 AM

I love Tool and hate a majority of their fans

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 9:02 AM

the drummer who came out for the drum battle during tool really sucked. Sounded like the random guy pulled from the audience playing drums for the first time

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 9:11 AM

tool was the tool that fixed this show.
without them, the entire night was tooling down a path of tools listening to hipster bands only concerned with their hair products.

Posted by mr. tooly | August 3, 2009 9:19 AM

can we ban the use of the word "epic" on this board? please?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 9:28 AM

Danny Carey looks a bit soft these days.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 9:43 AM

"gogol bordello were amazing. just a few years ago they were seconds stagers at similar festivals..."

Uh, yeah, but to be fair, aren't ALL the bands on APW's main stage "second stagers" at similar festivals?!

Posted by M | August 3, 2009 9:57 AM

tool were epic as usual

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:11 AM

"Too much douchewear, axe cologne and testosterone"

Didn't Axe have a booth right next to zipcar?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:14 AM

Crystal CAstles need a beatdown

Posted by BRAIN AIDS | August 3, 2009 10:15 AM

i woke up the next day with an epic hangover.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:16 AM

I was leaving at 9pm on saturday and full ferries were arriving with tool fans!
I thought the whole thing was pretty well run. The only glitch was the 30 minute line to get in on sunday at 5pm since they had closed the site for the thunderstorm. They seemed to be searching people more than they had on previous days, which was a bit ridiculous, since there were waaaay more people lined up!

The beer prisons worked better this year, though it was annoying if you left your friends and then had to wait to get back in if it was full, hopefully next year they can expand them to be bigger again. I didnt see any disorderly behaviour...

Posted by clairepetrol | August 3, 2009 10:22 AM

MBV were not good. everyone around me was not happy during their set.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:22 AM

Tool fans and hipsters are equally annoying. I have been a tool fan in the past and have always been an MBV fan. Tool is great live, but they play the same show every time, they are insane musicians but almost too mathematical where it gets boring. MBV are the total opposite of mathematical so I can see how these two groups collide.

But,even at coachella, most of the tool fans only go for tool and they don't branch out to the other stages to enjoy other music. Where I think MBV fans are more open-minded.

Posted by Brent | August 3, 2009 10:23 AM

A tool, and fan of Tool, clearly annoyed with MBV's loud distortion, asked me, "do you know who that is?" That was priceless.

Crystal Castles were better than anticipated.

I lived in the Beer Garden.

Place smelled like ass like the rest of Jersey.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:28 AM

thas naht mah name bitch!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:30 AM

It smelled like Maple Syrup..it seemed to be wafting over from NY

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:33 AM

Crystal Castles are fucking horrible.

25 years from now - no one will give a shit about the cumstain on the music scene known as Crystal Castles.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:35 AM

crystal castles had that one song that was a hit... what was the name of it again?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:40 AM

Crystal Castles one of the best sets of the weekend. Easily.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:49 AM

next year, they are doing... "ALL POINTS CRYSTAL"
with performances by:
-Crystal Skulls
-Crystal Castles
-Crystal Antlers
-Crystal Method
-Crystal Waters

anyone know who else is scheduled?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 10:59 AM

I hung out at the Blue Comet from the Cool Kids through My Bloody Valentine and all four bands played quality sets. My Bloody Valentine's incredible performance was considerably diminished by the litany of asinine Tool fans. I think the Saturday bill would have been far better if they stuck MBV along with YYYs and Echo and the Bunnymen, I feel like all those fans overlap.

While I enjoyed all the acts I saw at APW this year (i also went Friday and though The National, YYYs, and Jay Z killed), and getting to and from the venue was not as arduous as I had anticipated, I feel the festival is severely logistically flawed. I have gone to Pitchfork in Chicago for the past two years and that festival (which also takes place in a state park with nice views of the city skyline), is exponentially better and three day passes are only a mere $75.

My major gripes:

a) Security is far too stringent and I felt as though I was frisked more thoroughly than my ancestors were in Ellis Island in the early 20th century. If you're going to charge so much for tickets, than sealed water bottles should be allowed into the venue. Maps and copies of set times should be distributed at the entrance gate and not in that bizarre passport format and some obscurely labeled tent.

b) The concessions are subpar and far too expensive. Pitchfork brings in reasonably priced, high quality local food vendors and a Goose Island 321 is a mere $4 and you don't have to stand in a prison to drink it. There's no limit on quantity either.

c) The Blue Comet and Bullet Stages should be spaced closer together and bands should alternately perform on each. While a group is performing on the Blue Comet Stage, for example, their set should be projected on the jumbotron at the Bullet Stage making idle time a lot less listless. Yes, I realize APW can't book as many acts with this format, but it's impossible to adequately navigate between stages with the current setup. The tent thing should be reserved for smaller billed acts, and electronica groups like they have at present. (Yes this is the exact format of Pitchfork).

Posted by Nicole | August 3, 2009 11:00 AM

Nicole, get your own blog.

Posted by tl;dr | August 3, 2009 11:06 AM

love Tool, hate 95% of their fans

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:06 AM

i pissed on my balls, and i liked it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:10 AM

i love all the negative comments all of a sudden streaming in on MBV youtube videos

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:17 AM

tool vs. the ting tings... how does this band even exist? crystal castles and the ting tings should kill themselves together.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:23 AM

Nicole - The passports were stacked at the enterance on each security table when i came in each day. And I'd hope NY will keep trying to get it right than just give up.

Posted by clairepetrol | August 3, 2009 11:27 AM

This festival is SUB PAR at best - even with all the positives - and there are a few. There is just sooooo much wrong with it, it will never be as good as other festivals.

When you start picking and choosing which large festivals to see (Pitchfork doesn't really count here) I think APW will be left out of the mic, more and more.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:29 AM

"In sum, the NYC metro area should stop deluding itself into thinking it can run a top notch outdoor music festival."

This has nothing to do with the NYC metro area and everything to do with suck ass jersey crap. I know a few people who worked there and most of the vendors and various groups were all jersey tools. Throw in the police state craziness with double fences for the beer gardens. The failures passing for security guards giving a diabetic girl trouble for bringing some energy bars but I see kids walking around with beer cans. There was actually a security guard walking around the beer gardens telling people not to even TOUCH the fence!

Why can Bonnaroo be run so well while APW is a shitshow?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:30 AM

Tool fans are some awkward people!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:31 AM

I enjoyed Tings more than Tool saw about a half hour of both bands...shove it 11:23.

Not saying Tool is bad just enjoyed the Ting Tings better...

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:43 AM

I like Maynards waterbottle holder :)

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:44 AM

LMAO at the Crystal Castles jokes!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:46 AM

To people complaining about the beer prisons.

Bring a nalgene bottle. Pour two beers from garden. Take it out to the field. Watch headlining act. Enjoy!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:00 PM

Love tool, also hate the majority of tool fans.
That aside, I have been to many festivals, didn't got to APW last year because there was no band or combination of bands worth even a 1 day pass. This year they suckered me in with Tool. Tool was awesome, and I was very impressed with Gogol Bordello and even the Arctic Monkeys. I did not like My Bloody Valentine, prob would have been more enjoyable if you could hear ANYTHING but guitar feedback. But hey, if they are your thing, glad you enjoyed it!
But APW was simply a disaster, beer prisons, beer rations, gestapo at the entrance and an all together mediocre line-up. I really thought the point of a music festival was to get enough bigger bands to make it worth the price. I love all kinds of music and go to all kinds of shows, I don't need to pay $110 bucks to see bands that I could see in NYC for $10-$30 on a regular basis at a better venue. The APW promoters should be grateful that enough Tool fans shelled out the money to go, I am sure the same applies to Beastie Boys and Coldplay fans too. Next year, bigger acts, no beer bullshit, easy going security and I may consider going.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:01 PM

hail maynard

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:18 PM

you can change things if you want.

if enough people petitioned the APW promoters and said NO to the beer prison and said NO to goon-like security, and said NO to not being allowed to bring in your own food/drink, and demanded better prices at concession stands you could change it.

APW wants to make as much money as possible. if they don't want to change things vote with your feet.

Posted by capt mission | August 3, 2009 12:20 PM

If you are planning an all crystal festival - why leave out the Crystal Stilts?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:33 PM

nobody cares stop writing your comments

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:36 PM

Randall's Island > Liberty State Park

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 12:42 PM

MEHnard

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 1:00 PM

anybody have the full coldplay setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 1:22 PM

Coldplay rarley change there setlist. So far the whole tour pretty much has been...

Life In Technicolor
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Yellow
Fix You
Strawberry Swing
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)
Talk (techno version)
You Gotta Fight (Chris piano, Beastie Boys cover)
Viva La Vida
Lost!
Green Eyes (acoustic)
Death Will Never Conquer (Acoustic, sung by Will)
Billie Jean
Viva La Vida (remix interlude)
------
Politik
Lovers In Japan
Death And All His Friends
-------
The Scientist
Life in Technicolor ii
The Escapist (outro)

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 1:32 PM

With eception to You Got to Fight

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 1:32 PM

Once they stopped playing Trouble live, things went downhill with this band.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 2:27 PM

If it wasnt for Gogol Bordello, the entire show would have blown! Tool is an awesome band but there was no energy. Just a shit load of laser beams and crazy videos, which is cool if I were on acid. I love unnecessary noise as much as the next circuit bending, ear raping, distortion loving guy, but MBV fucking sucked. Learn how to make some real noise! Seriously!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 2:44 PM

The fact that Coldplay never plays Sparks or High Speed is ridic!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 2:48 PM

"Why can Bonnaroo be run so well while APW is a shitshow?"

Maybe because the people who run Bonnaroo own the land they have the festival on and don't have to follow the same rules and regulations as APW does, being in a National Park in a metropolitan city.

Are you people really this stupid or do you just like to b!tch about everything?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 4:16 PM

i was open minded to mbv, since a place to bury strangers have done so well at reviving (copying) the sound and all... but it sounded like a shit wall of distorted sound, with an occasional furtive melody. i was there for tool, and was one of the douchebags holding up a middle finger to mbv. sorry.... i hadnt seen tool in 5 years, so as far as i know, they tore it up and were hands down the best on sat (honorable mention to gogol bordello, closing out with a mano negra cover!)

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 4:24 PM

4:24 - you are real classy. I'm glad I did not go.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 4:39 PM

@4:16 they didn't always own it. i think it was only purchased two years ago. now go away.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 4:39 PM

I went for MBV (was out of town last September) and I was disappointed. Zero stage presence. Played with no feeling. I could almost see Kevin's lips moving as he was counting the exact number of seconds to play "You Made Me Realise". The feedback part of the song is no longer interesting when it's played in such a contrived fashion.

Never heard Gogol Bordello's music, but they were amazing! Now that is what I call stage presence! Awesome. I thought they were a gimmick, but it turned out that MBV was the gimmick band.

Didn't stick around for Tool.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 5:02 PM

4:16 - Liberty State Park isn't a National Park, it's a state park. If it were a National Park they probably wouldnt be able to have the festival there.

Overall - It was muddy and Food was too expensive but I expected that going in. Loved Gogol Bordello and Crystal Castles. Tool was Tool, I guess I got what I expected from them. I was Pissed they didn't start till after ten though because i hustled all the way over from Crystal Castles at 9:40 just to see them. My Bloody Valentine was the absolute wrong band to put right in front of Tool. But it is hard to find a band that would do a good job leading people into a Tool Set. It seemed like MBV killed the energy that GB built up. Overall, nice show but if I had it my way I would have set up the sets a little differently for the 3 stages.

Posted by Cudi | August 3, 2009 5:18 PM

Say what you will about Ice T, but his wife's ass is EPIC.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 5:47 PM

Went all three days and thought The YYY's, St. Vincent, Gogol, The Black Keys and Elbow killed. All came understanding the time limit of the set, knew what levels to set their instruments to and played to their fans and drew in new ones.

Other bands that impressed were Heartless Bastards, Tokyo Police Club, Ting Tings, Lykke Li. Also brought to all.

The Arctic Monkeys were my biggest diappointment. A lackluster performance. They obviously thought the time limit was not for real and tried to adjust to late. Come stateside rarely and wasted many long waiting fans with new boring stuff.

Chairlift was lost and everyone was bitchin about the bass. Where did that come from. The dude singing sucked.

How did Electric Touch even get invited.

As far as the mud. Oh well bad luck. Wore my fishing shoes.

Posted by Finmac | August 3, 2009 7:22 PM

Tool fans can certainly be annoying no doubt. Moshing? Really? But I would rather be stuck with them then most of the pretentious MBV fans trying to explain why 10 minutes on the same note is ground-breaking. Good grief, just cause its loud doesnt make it good.

Posted by Jeremy | August 3, 2009 10:42 PM

I was next to a young Tool fan wearing a Grateful Dead t-shirt. After I let him puff on some of my drugs, he started jumping around and putting my flip-flop exposed toes in serious jeopardy. That was pretty cool, but then he announced that he "hated" 10,000 Days and said, "I can do without that whole album."

At that point, I had to move away from this world-class fuckhead.

But Tool was awesome. APW as a festival was rather average. Got there about 30 minutes before Tool went onstage and could not get a beer. That was dumb.

Posted by mark | August 4, 2009 3:34 PM

I guess I had a different experience from the rest of you, since I had the privilege of performing on the second stage. I thought the festival was great. There was a wonderful variety of music from bands at different levels of success. I wish fans were open minded enough to hear someone other than their favorite band. After all the musicians you idolize listen to everything from country to jazz, hip hop to death metal.
I hope that next year you all come earlier than 5pm to APW to enjoy the full festival experience.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 10:04 PM

"My Bloody Valentine, on the other hand, were amazing. They surely pissed off the Tool fanboys, but I thought they destroyed. Their last song was ridiculously epic."

You, sir, now have a Complete and Total MULTI-FAIL!

Posted by what? | August 6, 2009 11:14 PM

MBV was great but not loud enough, Tool was awesome wish I hadn't left early to go see the Ting TIngs but they were a lot of fun too. ALl in all a great time except for the hell of getting out of there and back to the city.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2009 11:56 AM