Posted in music | pictures on August 16, 2009

photos by Tim Griffin

Animal Collective

totally stupid show tonight. both BD & AC rocked crazy/ hard.

About halfway thru the set AC slowed down a bit, but finished strong + 3 encores.

also played 'chores' from Strawberry Jam.

BD played intense 45 min opening set.

[capt mission | August 15, 2009 12:36 AM]

Animal Collective played their second of two shows at the Prospect Park Bandshell in Brooklyn last night (8/15). Here are the pics and setlist from the first (8/14)....

Black Dice...

Dam-Funk...

Animal Collective

Animal Collective - Friday setlist (via)
What Would I Want Sky
My Girls
You Could Win a Rabbit
Summertime Clothes
Slippi
Daily Routine
Chores
What sounded like a reworking of Comfy in N. but I could be wrong.
Fireworks(medley)
Brothersport

encore:
Lion in a Coma
Guys Eyes
Leaf House

Saturday's show was inconceivable. Dam-funk rocked it too.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 12:40 PM

What's fifty-feet long with no pubes?

The front row at an Animal Collective show.

Posted by Regular reader | August 16, 2009 12:55 PM

This joke does not work in the 00ies anymore.

Posted by Marc | August 16, 2009 1:09 PM

tug on my penis please, avey tare has beautiful

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 1:10 PM

Yeah Marc I was just about to post the same comment. Most girls of all ages these days shave their pubes off so the joke does not work. Plus regular reader is a stupid fuck. He is one of the trolls who posted that Panda Bear was leaving the band. In fact he said he heard it from a source. Might be another person posting as regular reader but if it is this guy then he should just go fuck himself.
FYI, I met one of the members in the park last night and Panda Bear is in no way leaving the band.

Also 12:40, what are you 12 and never been to a concert before? Shut the fuck up with that stupid comment. I was there last night and it was a great show but "inconceivable". Please kill yourself with that over exaggerated nonsense.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 1:16 PM

i can tell my kids i was there

Posted by grant | August 16, 2009 1:17 PM

grant, after you tell your kids that they will look at you and think "oh man is my father a fucking dipshit"

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 1:19 PM

Avey dresses like Eric Wareheim's outfit for the Kid Break sketches

Posted by Robert | August 16, 2009 1:27 PM

@1:19 cause you listen to some great shit I bet, I feel like I could guess...but it would be boring

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 1:34 PM

1:16 thanks you really "set shit straight".

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 1:35 PM

Fuck the bantering.
Great show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 1:48 PM

Sorry the joke bombed. It wasn't really meant to be funny, just pathetic. Let's hear it for pathos!

Wow, 1:16, I had forgotten about that "source inside the band" comment. Thanks for paying such close attention to the Regular Reader!

Posted by Regular reader | August 16, 2009 1:55 PM

"about half the audience was into it & the other half were just staring into space......................."

code for "baked out of their minds"

Posted by anonymous | August 16, 2009 2:07 PM

twas a great show on friday

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 2:20 PM

so much pot was smoked collectively

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 2:27 PM

GR8 show...Animal Collective encore @ Prospect Park, Aug 14 - enjoy http://bit.ly/bEEEF

Posted by ec groom | August 16, 2009 2:36 PM

40 years from now this show will remembered for being more culturally significant than woodstock

Posted by this guy | August 16, 2009 2:59 PM

Feast of Music, terrible pictures and an even worse review. You are to music review what taco bell is to fine dining.

this guy, yeah seriously 40 years from now this show will be remembered on the same level as the first landing on the moon

Regular reader, you forgot how you are a moronic lying troll? That seems like a hard thing to forget. Maybe quit using drugs?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 3:08 PM

Super fun energy at Saturday's show, despite (or because of?) the 16-year-old girl passed out in a puddle of vomit, the 18-year olds snorting coke ten feet away from the cops who came to take passed-out-girl away, and the other 16-year-olds curled up into fetal positions on the grass, shivering and crying.

But hey, at least these young kids dance! Unlike all the 30-year-old hipsters who dress like they're 18, and can't dance worth sh*t.

Posted by old fart | August 16, 2009 3:22 PM

Damn... people are gettin at eachother's throats! this is crazy. Anyhow. I'm not sure which night was better... I ate some mushrooms the first night... so I didn't really enjoy dam funk's hour and a half long opening set... Black Dice were good as always, but should've been louder. It was much quieter than when I saw them at the Bowery.

The "re-worked comfy in nautica" is actually a new song called bleed... just for clarification. Personally I found the highlights to be the new Who Could Win A Rabbit and Chores, considering I hadn't heard them play those yet. Everything else was still awesome, though I could've done without daily routine, and IMO they threw away What Would I Want Sky too early.

The second night they opened with Grace... which I've wanted to see since the Grand Ballroom show, so I basically freaked out when I heard it. Also Frightened and #1 also made that set really awesome. All in all great end of the summer.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 3:28 PM

thats not 3 encores but a 3-song encore

additional encores would be if they had left the stage and returned a 2nd/3rd/... time and performed even more songs. maybe even Reverend Green

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 3:33 PM

Ranking the last 2 years of shows they have played in NYC, excluding Terminal 5 cause it is a shit hole, I would put it in this order from best to worst

1 Bowery Ballroom
2 Friday Night Prospect Park
3 Free Seaport show(although lots of people slag that show i am assuming they are the ones who stood in the back yammering because everyone upfront was loving it)
4 Sat night Prospect Park(seemed like a little bit of a let down from Friday's energy)
5 Grand Ballroom

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 3:45 PM

saturday setlist anyone??

did anyone see john norris on friday? he is such a tool

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 3:59 PM

i saw john norris haha

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 4:48 PM

Hey everyone, I just want to clear the air that yes, indeed, this weekend's show at Prospekt Park WAS my last with my longtime collaborators in AC. I will be doing what will become many many solo shows at ATP, so please check the Friday date out. If you're expecting me to be with the Collective on Saturday, unfortunately I will not be with the crew. They will be announcing my replacement in the coming days, and I think he will fit my paws just fine.

Love and thankfulness for all the years of support
- Noah "Panda Bear" Lennox

Posted by Noah | August 16, 2009 4:49 PM

n33p

Posted by Noah | August 16, 2009 5:24 PM

BV should remove the loser trolls like 4:49 and 5:24. Spreading false info and not even being creative doing it shows they certainly have some great life.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 5:43 PM

i think 524 was just trying to prove the point that anyone can do what 4:49 did, that he's not Panda and that anyone can make a post with the name noah and link to his myspace

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 5:48 PM

I am Spartacus!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 7:21 PM

Good show Saturday. Why didn't they play anything from Feels?

Posted by Rob | August 16, 2009 9:07 PM

why didn't they play chocolate girl?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 10:39 PM

they almost never play anything from Feels anymore. Once and a while you'll get a banshee beat or daffy duck. I was just happy we got something off Strawberry Jam besides the show staple "Fireworks" (though it's always a highlight of the evening).

This was an amazing set for them, though opening with "Sky" was a little underwhelming. I think a majority of people around me (center, 30 feet back) were pretty confused by anything not off of Merriweather PP. Or just stoned? Both? Either way, it was a testament to how many poseurs come to AC shows. A few kids looked at me when I was singing along to the chorus of Who Could Win a Rabbit. They had no idea what the hell they were listening to.

Blah blah blah, AMAZING set.

Posted by @Wilbah | August 16, 2009 11:45 PM

black dice was awful.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 11:47 PM

Sky worked just fine as an opener for me.

BD killed it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 12:18 AM

Fantastic show. Was the first time I've seen them without a huge chunk of their set being unreleased material. Made it seem a lot less like they were just testing things out on us and more like an actual aiming-to-please 'show'. The waves on stage were great. Leaf house ruled. Nice Slippi appearance, tho I'd kill to see them play Hey Light...

Also, I love how it was a hot and humid mid-August day and there were still hordes of kids wearing their skinny black jeans. At least they stuck to the back (its easier to get noticed if your not in a crowd) letting those of us who are less hip get up close and personal.

Posted by cargo shorts | August 17, 2009 2:24 AM

I was just thinking that it must be incredibly hard to be cool. I mean the cool uniform isn't meant to be worn on an august day in new york city. Is it possible to take off your cool uniform and just wear some shorts and a tshirt? Just saying..

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 8:55 AM

Did anyone else think they were about to play Derek, near the end of Friday, but then they went into something else?

Posted by Suzie | August 17, 2009 9:26 AM

9:26 - they do that a bit. I thought they were opening the encores with Banshee until Lion popped out out of nowhere.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 9:43 AM

Went to Saturday's show. AC were phenomenal! I also enjoyed the opener Dam-Funk though. Was surprised by some of the records (yes, actual records) he spun. Good stuff even though sound wasn't loud enough. Plus, his Keytar jamming and singing while DJing was original. Thought he would've played his "Summertime Clothes" remix he did for the guys but now that I think about it was good he didn't pander. Hot day in the park. Wish I had tickets for this first show on Friday though. Zomby was not missed on Saturday. Cool stage design! Great show though. AC killed it!

Posted by Adam Jules | August 17, 2009 10:41 AM

black dice are poseurs.
i've heard fire alarms that are more interesting.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 11:28 AM

That fire-alarm comment was pretty funny. I'm a fan of Black Dice and of noise in general, but the quip makes perfect sense when noise needs some fun poking.

Posted by Regular reader | August 17, 2009 12:33 PM

@ 11:28... BD had quite an impact on Animal Collective as a band... so to call them poseurs is a fucking ignorant comment.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 1:44 PM

so sorry anonymous. that was incredibly irresponsible on my part. what i should've said is,
BLACK DICE ARE POOOOOOOSEURS.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 1:54 PM

Am i the only one who thinks MPP is shite

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 2:31 PM

Black Dice has been around for over a decade, were original early adopters/adapters of this kind of music, and I'm sure were extremely influential on a lot bands you probably like. You don't have to like THEM, but you can't call them poseurs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 2:48 PM

black dice are pretending to be merzbau... the damn poseurs

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 3:45 PM

i still just can't believe they played leaf house

two songs off of sung tongs? it's a miracle.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 10:15 PM

I never felt so cool not to be smoking weed.

Posted by Paige | August 17, 2009 11:00 PM

I've been listening to Animal Collective for a about 4 years now and haven't got around to seeing them until Friday night. It was the most inspiring and intense show I have seen in a long time. A real banger. I haven't danced that hard in ages. Thanks to animal collective. It's a shame all this jabbering about things that have nothing to do with such an incredible band have to clog discussion forums like this.

Posted by Willy | September 1, 2009 2:39 PM