Posted in music | pictures on August 31, 2009

photos by Ryan Muir

Spanish Broads (aka Das Racist)

At what can only be described as one of the worst live shows I've ever seen, Das Racist took the stage of Public Assembly Sunday night (8/30) (around 11:30pm) (four hours after the Grizzly Bear show had ended right down the street) and proceeded to play 3 or 4 or was it 5 songs with an extended Wesleyan-related lineup (Ryan says they called the whole band "Spanish Broads").

The jokey trio, Das Racist, already permanently feature a member of Boy Crisis on drums. They also have a college in common with many bands that now call Brooklyn home. Santigold, MGMT, Amazing Baby, Bear Hands, Francis & the Lights, Extra Life, Mobius Band, Boy Crisis and Chairlift are all from, or have members who went to Wesleyan University in CT. Apache Beat might not be directly related to Wesleyan (I can't say for sure), but like Suckers, I'll just throw them into that MGMT-friends, Wesleyan-related group.

Despot somehow fits into all this too. We know he is tight with Islands who Das Racist recently opened for. And he's friends with Amazing Baby too. MGMT are also one of his top friends. And by the way he was getting all close with Das Racist on stage at Public Assembly, I guess they are good friends too.

Imagine 20 kids being introduced to instruments for the first time. They're brought into a classroom, at a 'touch museum' or in pre-school, and they're all handed various noise-making devices. One gets a triangle, another a tambourine. Some get to beat drums, while others rub a stick back and forth on a grooved piece of wood. They all start making noise at the same time. Now just replace the triangles and grooved wood things with drum machines and microphones. Throw in very loud, amplified volume, and you've sort of got Sunday night's show.

Despot did not rap at all. The Taco Bell song, or a version of it, was one of the 'songs' played. The person in the ET mask is a dude from Chairlift. Cerebral Ballzy opened the free show, but I missed them because I was next door at Music Hall of Williamsburg trying to figure out who Edward Sharpe was (more on that later). More pictures from the Public Assembly show below...

Spanish Broads (aka Das Racist)

can we please let this show mark the end of the no-talent ass-clown Wesleyan era and bring rock and roll back? please?

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:09 AM

who wrote this...ryan or bv? either way...choosing not to have someone cover the Edward Sharpe show was a major major fail

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:13 AM

yeah there hasn't been much BV voice in a while but I'm glad if it is you giving your opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:23 AM

"choosing not to have someone cover the Edward Sharpe show was a major major fail"

I can't say I necessarily agree with you, but it just so happens that I did go to Edward Sharpe in between this and the Waterfront show, and Tim even took pictures of it. They're just not ready yet.

Posted by brooklynvegan | September 1, 2009 12:26 AM

Ship these pathetic d bags to the vapid, culture-less, wasteland known as LA.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:41 AM

12:09

it's time for the 'garage rock revival' revival!

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:44 AM

The thing that cracks me up about this, is that its pretty clear that Das Racist is just riding a little bit of notoriety and they aren't taking themselves very seriously. The people I feel sorry for are the ones nodding their heads at this show as if they "get it" (and yes, those people exist).

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:44 AM

ok.... i'm glad you were there and I'm glad we get to see some pics/coverage since there was none of their merc lounge show, which had one of the best line-ups this year with The XX and Free Energy. I'll wait to include my thoughts on that show for that post and also can't wait to read your take.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:50 AM

BV, you MEHssed the opportunity to insert 'MEH' in a headline. I know you can't stand it, but seeing as this was an awful perforMEHnce, it MEHrits it.

Posted by anonyMEHs | September 1, 2009 12:57 AM

Look at this. This is what well over $150K of mommy and daddy's money bought: the chance to stand (or sit) onstage with that fuckface from the dorm playing bass in an ET mask.
I really can't believe that this happened...it's like an apocalypse of douchiness. We are witnessing something big here, folks. Remember this date!

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 1:08 AM

This is an epic, epic joke. I hope this is a turning point for a great majority of the observers and innocent bystanders of the BK scene and the typical blog and press coverage of it. There actually is great music being made (though not covered by BV and the like who typically stick to covering predominantly this garbage) in Brooklyn. I am happy to see, however, a truthful and accurate panning of this utter jokefest that took place on Sunday by BV in this post.

By the way...anyone see that ABSURDLY nauseating Chairlift and Marc Jacobs video collaboration?...I had to lay down after that and take a friggin' xanax. Good help us.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 1:25 AM

I got a platinum card! I got a savings fund! I got a combination platinum card and savings fund!

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 1:55 AM

other dude from chairlift was following jay-z around at the g'bear show trying to look important. pathetic!

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 2:37 AM

"This is an epic, epic joke. I hope this is a turning point for a great majority of the observers and innocent bystanders of the BK scene"

I am not sticking up for this show, but to generalize this show as representative of the "BK scene" is silly.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 2:40 AM

I had no idea Sonjaya from American Idol was in this band, or that he played the tambourine.

Posted by somepainter | September 1, 2009 3:15 AM

This is the beginning of the end for those losers!

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 3:22 AM

@2:04.
Was only referring to this aspect of the BK scene, which is a substantial portion, but certainly not the scene as a whole.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 3:35 AM

All those white hipsters love this type of shit. Either way boy crisis needs to die.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 4:28 AM

1:25 -

care to enlighten us as to what the great secret music being made in BK is? or too much of a secret?

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 8:12 AM

- - - - - -

BV, when the pics are ready, please do post them.

Show was one of the best I have seen in 2009. I do not think there was a single person in that place not dancing and having a kick ass time.

For a band that gets relatively hardly any coverage on this blog, or for the East coast for that matter, I think they are doing a nice job gaining momentum here in a organic way - not being hyped up by the web before a band is ready to blow up.

Selling out the Mercury Lounge - and adding Free Energy to the bill had little do with that - and the Music Hall of Williamsburg in less than a month is pretty good work. I look forward to seeing these guys again.

Felt like true, good, passionate music to me on Sunday night.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 8:27 AM

what a joke Das Racist is. you'd have a better night swilling PBR at Trash Bar and covering some unknown/just starting out bands.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 8:43 AM

Posted by junk food eater | September 1, 2009 8:45 AM

ed sharpe show was very good. overhype will come in about a couple of mos, with intense backlash by jan.

Posted by nonmous | September 1, 2009 9:23 AM

that edward sharpe song w/ the girl about "home" will get in your head and never leave. retardedly catchy

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 9:27 AM

"Congrats, anonymous fanboy(s)!"

This coming from someone who posts with a b.s. nickname.

I read boring and meh all the time in regards to amazing bands....all the people who post that here would think Miles Davis was boring (and let me preempt... Meh Davis right???)

I don't understand the "eagerly await the backlash". Get a life....you and your friends are the blog equivalent of Debbie Downer. I understand "organic" cause their performance seemed genuine. Plus the crowd's enthusiasm was one you seem to only get at shows in other countries.

Posted by mrcnyc | September 1, 2009 9:31 AM

they were awful at islands too. they need to stop wasting everyone's time.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 9:37 AM

It would actually be MEHles Davis, fuckhole

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 9:43 AM

joke 'band' plays joke show with jokey friends. next plz.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 9:44 AM

The E.T. mask is pretty rawsome.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 9:52 AM

haters...

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 10:04 AM

many amazing musicians have quietly passed through wesleyan for years and years. john cage had a long affiliation with the place. their ethno program is exceptional. anthony braxton has mentored an unending string of exceptional avant jazz composers for 20 years. he's also the father of the guy from battles, if that means something to you, comment reader.

of course, there is also a familiar strain of ironic detachment and tragic hipsterdom there, and judging solely from the pictures, the above concert is probably a particularly prime example of that, albeit masquerading as some kind of in-group performance art.

if it was so stupid, though, i wonder why you covered it at all, bv?

Posted by former student | September 1, 2009 10:18 AM

"Congrats, anonymous fanboy(s)! Whether or not the buzz around Edward Sharpe is "organic" (whatever that means), I eagerly await the backlash. That's quite an accomplishment for an act that has gotten zero exposure on this blog."

Were you even at the Edward Sharpe show???

I think if you were present, you would have a hard time justifying your negative comments. If you were, can you please justify your opinions.

And "organic" would be "not fueled by web buzz" but rather via word of mouth - how I found out about these guys from a friend who lives in California and has seen them several times.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 10:33 AM

wow is this the first time brooklynvegan offered an opinion that wasn't in a blockquote?

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 10:55 AM

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 11:07 AM

This is a very very monumental, serious art scene going on here. I'm so inspired....

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 11:12 AM

Such a shame. Fortunately there is still real music to see in Brooklyn you just have to look elsewhere to find it. Two FREE shows in the next week for example.

Rubblebucket Orchestra @ Zebulon- Thursday 9/3 (10pm)
Rubblebucket Orchestra @ Brooklyn Bowl -Tuesday 9/8 (midnight)

Both free shows. See you there.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 11:25 AM

HOLY COW SOME OF YOU NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY.

I almost wish most of you would stick to your idiotic meh quotes or dumb fights about which show of the day was better and who "killed" it.

Most of you don't have a single clue about music. This blog is infested with false information and people who think they have some knowledge.

To the Edward Sharpe fanboys, there is nothing "organic" about their growth. They have been written up in different music magazines as being an up and coming band to watch. That is a main reason why Mercury sold out. I was at that show and I did not think there was anything so great about the band. I have heard the records as well. They are a not so great Arcade Fire rip off. Not a terrible band like Das Racist but nothing incredible.

And stop whining that this blog did not put up coverage of the show. So fucking what. Is it going to kill you if they do not review it? Does it make your enjoyment that much less? Who gives a shit what the people who run this blog say about a show anyway? They fucking went to and reviewed the Michael Jackson dance party in Prospect Park this weekend for fuck's sake. Why would you care about the opinions of anyone who would go to something so stupid and ridiculous. Also, you do realize that probably for a majority of the shows reviewed they get in for free. Ask them to pay for shows and see which ones they put their hard earned money down on.

Oh and to all the losers who will now attack this comment i say
GO FUCK YOUR MEHTHER.

Posted by much smarter than you | September 1, 2009 11:26 AM

Kudos to BV for calling bullshit without any fear of scenester repercussions. We need more of that!

Posted by blackhat | September 1, 2009 11:27 AM

rubblebucket orchestra? ima pass. Im OKAY man. im ALRIGHT.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 11:27 AM

@ 8:12

No, it's no secret. Bands like Alberta Cross, APTBS, The Rev. Vince Anderson with The Love Choir, Cavalier Rose, Weird Owl, Naam....there are certainly a heterogeneous many. No secret, just maybe to the sheep who listen to the homogeneous mixture of synth dance pop that was done 100x better in the mid-80's than it's being done right now in BK.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:07 PM

as if it's any secret: that das racist guy in the plaid is a serious, serious chode. Like misogynistic and so jaded as to who/what he and his "band" mean to (i'm pretty sure) anyone.

once i had to pull this slimester out of a venue after the lights were on and the bands & friends were just hanging around because he kept saying super inapropro shit to girls and grabbing at them and stealing everyone's drinks. pretty awesome when i was dragging him out, he kept saying, "fuck you, i'm in das racist. fuck you! i know mgmt!"

aaahhahaha.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:42 PM

Hey man...knowing MGMT gives you license to do whatever you want in BK.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 12:50 PM

What's up with Sonjaya's left leg?? That thing looks as if it's burnt!

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 1:08 PM

alright. is despot friends with anyone else though? I just want to make sure I got everything straight here.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 1:39 PM

despot is friends with everyone in the indie community. jay-z is now trying to cop his style

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 1:50 PM

These people need to be hospitalized, but they probably can’t, because I bet they don’t have health insurance. See right-wingers, this is what happens when you trust the invisible hand of the market!

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 1:52 PM

I find it funny that you are all trying to analyze a free concert where friends decided to have fun as opposed to perform for you.

The sense of entitlement from most of this lot is laughable.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 2:07 PM

yeah, imagine, going to a show and expecting to see a performance. i usually go to MHOW to see an overeducated, insular frathouse whack off on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 2:41 PM

public assembly, whatever, same infested street.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 2:42 PM

@2:07

These bands are terrible aside from them screwing around at this "free" show. Oh, and if every band that played Zebulon, which is always free, dicked around like this...Joce would go out of business and the neighborhood would lose one of it's greatest and most legit establishments. So, c'mon...terrible argument.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 2:43 PM

With a name like that, go play a show in Germany. I dare you. see what happens.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 2:46 PM

I hope Das Racist is irony's logical conclusion

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 3:00 PM

here's my real rant (and I'd appreciate if BV would actually read & consider my point):

these guys are obviously NOT performers. they're not even musicians; they would've put on a good show for people besides their friends if that was the case. they would've wanted everyone in the room to at least have a good time. they're jokes. they're one-blunt-too-many-dude-that's-racist-no-dude-das-racist-DUUUDE-let's-start-a-band-hahaha-yeah-totally blog-spotted JOKES who had the free time to make a dumbshit video about a dumbshit topic that seems to make jocks in flannel shirts & neon hats (aka their friends) guffaw.

I mean, seriously, Brooklyn's a small scene, really, and that's generally why it's so great, and having a fun, quirky jam sesh with your buds in front of an entire audience is harmless (I suppose, albeit really fucking dumb & annoying). Once you stop being friendly to those other people who aren't your friends, harassing girls with your drunken groping and persistence, all the while shouting out your "cred", well, then you become just a joke. Not a joke band (as if that connotation's any better).

Hey BV: you really surprised me (and I'm sure I'm not alone here) by posting such a bold opinion, so why don't you avoid the Crystal Castles scenario that could arise from this and never post anything ever about these douchebags ever again?

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 3:07 PM

Hey,

3:07. You obviously have an axe to grind, so if you're going to make such "bold" accusations like sexual harrassment, leave your name. I dare you.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 3:21 PM

My name is Kate, and it's not really an accusation if an entire room full of people (some of which were probably friends of his) witnessed it. Oh, and I've spoken my piece on this and am moving on. Next time avoid blog fights AND the bad rep -- don't be a douche. Oh, and good luck with your career!

Posted by Kate | September 1, 2009 3:43 PM

i'm with Kate, these guys are sleazeballs

Posted by Anna | September 1, 2009 4:58 PM

please don't state boy crisis if there is no tal sighting. he would've made this a whole lot more relevant to me. hey tal holla at a gurl

Posted by gurl | September 1, 2009 5:08 PM

Nice t-shirt Dap :)
I think Das Racist are an intelligent and thoughtful group whom put on one hell of a funny and entertaining show.

Posted by Jen | September 1, 2009 6:24 PM

hey i'm in das racist and we just figured since we had played a show the night before and since it was a free show and we weren't getting paid we'd just fuck around. we weren't trying to hurt anybody or anything. a fair amount of folks even came up to us afterwards and said they had a good time. i don't really read this blog but just scrolling through it seems like there a lot of people getting angry over what was essentially nothing notable. i just wikipedia-ed august 30th and apparently hellof other important shit happened that day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Current_events/2009_August_30 ...for people who didn't enjoy themselves, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinions, i understand by now that we make music that apparently divides a lot of various audiences and our live shows are often shambolic or not what people expect or want to hear but maybe y'all could just calm the fuck down a bit? again, we're not trying to hurt anybody. it's just music. we never asked to be put on so hard, we just all of a sudden got a lot of press/blog heat for a track we literally made in the time it takes to listen to. if you really want have an actual discussion about us, listen to our entire body of work, and if you still don't like it, there are plenty of other things you can do with your time.

Posted by victor | September 1, 2009 7:57 PM

yo..YOU SUCK

Posted by doop | September 1, 2009 8:10 PM

doop?

Posted by victor | September 1, 2009 8:18 PM

mad people posting=mad people interested

just sayin

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 9:35 PM

mad people posting=mad people bored

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2009 12:00 AM

What's the vector, Victor?

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2009 12:26 AM

12:26 is THE MAN

Posted by dap | September 3, 2009 7:07 PM

having fun at the expense of a non paying audience is word. What really interests me is all of y'all that have invested so much energy in dissecting this incredibly serious free show. Ps das racist does not share a drummer with boy crisis and do not have a drummer for that matter.

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2009 8:27 AM

who is the tiny man in the pink shirt? he is the most adorable thing i have ever seen; i want to keep him in my handbag

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2009 6:58 PM

rapper despot, he's on the def jux label

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2009 7:39 PM

"fuck you, i'm in das racist. fuck you! i know mgmt!"

HAHAHAHAHA

Hima is a genius no JK

Posted by Lee Joseph Pender | September 14, 2009 2:41 PM

I think we should talk more about racism. You don't think so?

Posted by Ralph Ellison | September 16, 2009 5:18 PM

oh shut the fuck up pops! Let's get TOWERED MOTHERFUCKERS!

Posted by Ralph Elliswon, Jr. | October 16, 2009 3:57 PM

Just for the record, in case anyone is interested Youthless (london/Pt) are another ex-Wesleyan indie/garage/rock duo that actually kick ass and don't wreak of wannabee-NY hipster pretension (probably because as native Brooklynites they decided to move away from NY after college rather than squeeze back into Williamsburg.

Boy Crisis and Das Racist are cool if you take them for what they are which is silly fun party music not meant to blow your mind or shit your pants at a live show.

Posted by Anonymous | February 6, 2010 12:06 PM