Posted in music | pictures on August 5, 2009

photos by Zach Dilgard

Depeche Mode

"I thought I had great seats for the first night of Depeche Mode's 2-night stand at Madison Square Garden in New York City, but tonight my seats were ridiculous! I was in section 1 on the floor of the arena and it was another dream come true.

The setlist (which you can see after the jump) was pretty much the same, but last night [8/3], Martin Gore performed "Little Soul" and "Home" and tonight he did "Jezebel" and "A Question of Lust" [8/4]. Also, last night, they played "Come Back" and tonight they played "Miles Away/The Truth is." Both nights were fantastic! The crowd was every bit as into it as they were last night as Depeche Mode rocked the Garden again." [According to G]

For opener Peter Bjorn and John, last night's MSG show was their third NYC show in two days. Their fourth was also last night - at Rockwood Music Hall (at 1am). Pictures from MSG Night One HERE. More pictures from MSG Night Two, and the setlist, and a video, below...

Peter Bjorn and John...

Depeche Mode...

Depeche Mode

Pictures & setlist from August 3rd are HERE.

And another set of pictures from Night Two, HERE.

Depeche Mode @ MSG in NYC - August 4, 2009 - setlist

Encore #1
Stripped
Master And Servant
Strangelove

Encore #2
Personal Jesus
Waiting For The Night (Bare Version)

Anyone get pics of Peter signing on the floor? Great show...Was this the first time Miles Away was performed on tour?

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 2:26 PM

guy with Exciter shirt is edible

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 2:26 PM

Take a look at this review of Night 1 at Madison Square Garden, pretty good write up. www.salvatorebono.blogspot.com

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 2:27 PM

this is the only PB&J song worthwhile:
(0:50 in)

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 2:57 PM

Depeche Mehde.

Sorry, had to do it!!! What time did Daft Punk go on? LOL!

Posted by Regular reader | August 5, 2009 2:59 PM

Rather upset that I missed this, honestly.

Posted by Funderburgh | August 5, 2009 3:46 PM

Man, Martin Gore looks like an old lady with a bad perm.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 4:18 PM

When did Elton John join Depeche Mode lol?

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 5:32 PM

Wow. You guys are bitchier than Mr. Blackwood.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 5:37 PM

me too funderburgh

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 6:43 PM

Sure, The boys are looking older.
But, just like waking up on christmas morning when I was a kid. I still look forward seeing every tour and purchasing each new DM cd that comes out. I am always amazed at how DM stays true to their artistic beliefs. SOTU is loaded with some great songs. I love DM. I'll be at the San Diego and LA shows in a couple weeks. ; )

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 8:30 PM

I have seen Depeche Mode a few times and these shows were top notch! The energy put out by the band and their fans in something else. I was nervous that the guys were going to be a little more calm bc of everything that has happened in recent months, but that was not the case. Maybe Dave didn't twirl as much, but they made up for it. As for the people talking shit about Martin Gore...fall the fuck back! This guy has been giving us hits for years and still doesn't get the recognition as the main man of the group. Who gives a shit about his perm? 'Home' and 'A Question of Lust' were highlights of these two MSG shows.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 9:28 PM

Thanks for the shout out! and I thought I had good photos! Wow!

Posted by According2g | August 5, 2009 10:47 PM

awesome photos! i saw both shows at the garden as well...and am glad you didn't catch me up in section 1 with my camera ;) LOL

Posted by skinnyturtle692 | August 5, 2009 11:56 PM

saw then at MSG on the 3rd. I loved it!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 11:57 PM

Those pix of Dave Gahan against those background projections: gorgeous. Love love love this band.

Posted by DinaMorena | August 5, 2009 11:58 PM

These are great photos, awesome article, and phenomenal set list. I will see DM at RedRocks in Colorado on 8/27. It is the best concert venue in the world! My only complaint with DM is that they have too much great music and I never get to hear People are People!

Posted by Les | August 6, 2009 12:08 AM

Man, I can't believe I missed this show, with an encore of Stripped AND Strangelove!! DM are my all-time favorite band, and I hope they come back to L.A. soon. I've loved Dave and their music since "Violator", and I can't wait to see them live one day!

Posted by Kristin | August 6, 2009 12:20 AM

and the pictures from night one are great too!

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2009 12:23 AM

Just amazing every single time!!! Hey there r songs I would love to hear (but not tonight, somebody, photograph, (old s&#t), but they are still amazing performers!!! Always, great energy and just a great show!!!! Just like those Violator days!!!

Posted by vou | August 6, 2009 12:24 AM

how did u get such nice shots? I was in section 1 as well...but from my understanding DSLR were not allowed. i actually saw one guy with DSLR camera get escorted out of the show after like the 2nd song. Of course it might help if you have a special pass. :)

Posted by ed | August 6, 2009 12:28 AM

Wow! Your pictures are great-your seats must have rocked your face off!

Thanks for the excellent review and set-lists. I've seen them a couple of times a long time ago (or so it seems now) and it looks like they have just gotten cooler and even more digital with age. That's exciting!

I hope to check them out in Dallas later this month.

Posted by April Riggs | August 6, 2009 12:54 AM

I was in Section 1, row 12 on the first night. I had my DSLR and was very worried about it getting confiscated or something. But nobody seemed to care, and literally EVERYBODY else was shooting video and taking pics with their point-and-shoot cameras. I got some great pics and hope to have the same luck in Phoenix on the 23rd...

Posted by Jeff | August 6, 2009 1:00 AM

Can't wait for the L.A. shows, hoping that this is the setlist they do then. I want strangelove,master and servant and mostly waiting for the night. Thanks for the pics.

8/14 8/16 8/17 8/19....I'm waiting for the night..

Posted by Nanking | August 6, 2009 2:04 AM

Great photos.

Posted by Damien | August 6, 2009 6:16 AM

wow, those pictures are amazing!!! great shots! i sat loge level first night and then second night I at section 2 row a! unbelievable!
thank you for posting those great pictures!!

Posted by Kelly | August 6, 2009 6:58 AM

That concert was awesome! I saw them a few years ago at the art center in NJ, this time I sat closer and David Gahan looked great. My friend got 20 from the side stage to get a closer look at Martin (she's in love with him). I think David is very sexy. Can't wait to see them again. Trying to get tix either for Phoenix or Ft. Lauderdale. Your pics are awesome.

Posted by Tracy | August 6, 2009 7:16 AM

Great Pix Man. I was at Monday's show. Awesome Review.

Posted by JJ | August 6, 2009 7:33 AM

Martin's hair is not a perm!!!!! Good god. His curls are natural and it's beautiful.

Depeche Mode can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned

Posted by Gore lover | August 6, 2009 9:47 AM

loving that bear in the exciter shirt. YUM!

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2009 10:11 AM

Here's another set of pictures from Night Two

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 6, 2009 10:35 AM

depeche mode can do NO WRONG! they are inspiring, magical, intense, REAL, powerful and amazing. great shows night after night...what's there to complain about? i'd rather be at a depeche mode show than anywhere else, the best night out EVER!

jenny
THE VICIOUS GUNS

Posted by jenny | August 6, 2009 10:46 AM

When I was in Toronto I got to hear them warm up. They were sound checking to Miles Away/The Truth Is. I was so excited I thought they would have played it that night. Sadly they didn't. Still an incredible show though.

Posted by Shan | August 6, 2009 11:09 AM

genial ke llegue pronto el 15 de octubre para poder disfrutar a qui en chile................

DEPECHE MODE EN CHILE.......EL SILENCIO A TERMINADO....

Posted by claudia gomez fuentes | August 6, 2009 11:52 PM

The show was amazing! And I'd go again tomorrow if they come back. Does anyone know why Peace is not being performed? Would have love that. However, Miles Away was a real treat.

Posted by Robin Corsino | August 7, 2009 12:16 AM

I was At Atlantic City and that show was great. They performed in front of 2500 hundred people. I never seen them from such a close up. Never Let Me Down Again is the greatest song ever!

Posted by Ostry | August 7, 2009 12:24 AM

Love Depeche Mode i am for England been into depeche since 1981 saw them at whitley bay icfe rink doing the Black Celeabrtion tour cannot wait to see the guys in Glasgow in december ps great photos

Posted by Gerard Gill | August 8, 2009 4:16 AM

I loved it (2nd night 08/04) They were superb!!! I wanted more and more, 2 hours are way too short, it is like a tease, I wanted the concert to never end! Till they come back next time, "I will be waiting patiently..."

Posted by Tanya | August 9, 2009 6:29 PM

Depeche Mode was awesome on Tuesday night. Great photos. Loved the entire set! Dave Gahan is the man!!!He sang his heart out and his moves are so smooth. Miles Away...awesome switch up! Saw them at the Borgota, so loved every minute of Martin singing Jezebel and Question of Lust again. First time hearing the 2 encores this tour. Loved it!!

Posted by Susan | August 10, 2009 12:00 AM

went with my BFF to the first concert at MSG as her groupie... only new 4 songs... left there thinking "this was the best concert i've ever seen". loved it so much so that as we were leaving, we decided to check tickets for the following night, got damn good seats, and saw them again, night 2 at MSG!

Posted by blake michigan | August 12, 2009 3:07 PM

I can't say enough about this concert. Absolutely amazing. I was asked to go with the man I dated back in the 80's who introduced me to DM. NOthing could have made the night any better. I am so looking forward to seeing them in Tampa on Sept 4th.

Posted by Kelly | August 14, 2009 8:26 AM

You got numerous positive points there. I made a search on the issue and found nearly all peoples will agree with your blog.

Posted by prisonerofwonderland | January 26, 2010 4:48 AM