Posted in music on August 13, 2009

les Paul

"Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

As an inventor, Paul helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll and multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the "tracks" in the finished recording." [AP]

Les continued to perform right up until the end! Almost every Monday at Iridium Jazz Club right here in NYC (where "You Never Know who will show up"). RIP Les!
Videos below...

In July 2005, a 90th-birthday tribute concert was held at Carnegie Hall in New York City. After performances by Steve Miller, Peter Frampton, Jose Feliciano and a number of other contemporary guitarists and vocalists, Les was presented with a commemorative guitar from the Gibson Guitar Corporation.

On November 15, 2008, Les Paul received the American Music Masters award through the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a tribute concert in the State Theater in Cleveland. Among more than a dozen guest performers were Duane Eddy, Eric Carmen, Lonnie Mack, Jennifer Batten, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Dennis Coffey, James Burton, Billy Gibbons, Lenny Kaye, Steve Lukather, Barbara Lynn, Katy Moffatt, Alannah Myles, Richie Sambora, The Ventures, and Slash.

Les Paul wailing at the Iridium 07/07/1997

Les Paul playing "Over the Rainbow" at the Iridium in NYC on 5/19/09.

RIP!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:33 PM

A music legend worthy of the accolades and tributes that will certainly follow. Play on Les, play on....

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:35 PM

I saw his "show" at the Iridium a year ago. He was a dirty old man, and kind of an asshole. At least his name will live on with a positive light.

Posted by Ben | August 13, 2009 12:37 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:38 PM

So will he still be playing every Monday night at the Iridium?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:40 PM

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:41 PM

Hey Ben at 12:37..
Fuck you. Let's see you do anything when you're 90+. He was awesome...the show was fun spirited and genuine. He took time with fans even though I'm sure he couldn't hear anything they said to him.
You probably just weren't worth of any...

Go back and listen to drivel like Animal Collective or whatever the fuck hipster-shit classless dicks like you think is good.

Loser.

Posted by ben sucks | August 13, 2009 12:43 PM

I agree - Ben go play in traffic you fuck

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:47 PM

knew i should have dished out the $50 to see him. dam.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:52 PM

This guy was definitely queer

Posted by Keeping It Real | August 13, 2009 12:55 PM

Saw his show at the Iridium a couple years ago. Lots of fun. He was incredible in his prime and a charming loose player in his old age.

Sooo cool.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:58 PM

"please post an obit for another important musical figure who recently died (Rashied Ali)."

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:58 PM

This is a loss. Damn. A class act, and original, and one of the most influential musicians to walk the planet.

Meanwhile, my generation has artists like Girl Talk and Nickleback. We truly are at the end of times.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:59 PM

Glad he was still such a presence so late in his life: performing, giving interviews.

Posted by anonymouse | August 13, 2009 1:05 PM

"knew i should have dished out the $50 to see him"

same here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:08 PM

Dammit. I've been meaning to go to Iridium for the past ten years' worth of Mondays. Guess I can scratch that off my to do list.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:09 PM

"Dammit. I've been meaning to go to Iridium for the past ten years' worth of Mondays. "

My thoughts exactly. Bummer. RIP Les.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:12 PM

@ 12:43:

no ned to dis AC. they're a great band. you might not like them, but they nothing to do with Les Paul.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:12 PM

i never thought the day would come..R.I.P. les paul, you will be missed

Posted by Slob | August 13, 2009 1:13 PM

wow...what a crappy day. i took my dad to see him about 10 years back at iridium. their crab cakes were pretty good.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:18 PM

Nice blog you have here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:20 PM

"

knew i should have dished out the $50 to see him. dam.

"

walked by the iridium way too many times! A part of me thought he'd be there forever!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:38 PM

I'm sorry to hear of his family's loss. It is pretty amazing that he continued to play those Monday night sets for so long and I am sure a lot of people were glad to have seen him perform.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:38 PM

I saw him at the Iridium three years ago and I'm glad I did. He wasn't the frighteningly nimble picker of his youth, but he had an unmistakable sound and a surprisingly dirty sense of humor. The entire evening was peppered with sexual wisecracks. He had a pretty bad-ass band, with a guy on acoustic who blazed around the fretboard like Les used to do in his prime. I wouldn't call it an amazing night musically, but it was a cool and totally weird experience: Jimmy Buffet (wtf?) sat in, and David Carradine (double wtf?) was walking around with some sort of talisman, looking absolutely fucking mental.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:44 PM

I saw him at Iridium last year with Steve Miller. It wasn't a cheap night, but pretty fun. He told stories, made lewd jokes, strummed his guitar. It was cool.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:28 PM

Les Paul-- inventor of--

Artificial Reverb.

Echo.

Delay.

Multi-Track Recording.

Solid Body Guitar.

So pay your respects bitches!

Posted by tom | August 13, 2009 2:29 PM

Rest in peace Les. It's sad, but at least he led a long and very productive life.

Posted by liz | August 13, 2009 2:30 PM

he had video cameras in the ladies room at iridium. he went back every monday to get the hard drives and put new ones in.

Posted by ann onymous | August 13, 2009 2:30 PM

Hearing about his sexual wisecracks makes me wonder if a)he had groupies at the end of his life and b)if he slept with them. R.I.P., brother.

Posted by dirty old man | August 13, 2009 2:32 PM

Cleveland, OH – In response to the death of 1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee Les Paul, the Rock Hall has issued the following two statements:

“Without Les Paul, we would not have rock and roll as we know it,” said Terry Stewart, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. “His inventions created the infrastructure for the music and his playing style will ripple through generations. He was truly an architect of rock and roll.”

“Les Paul was truly a unique human being,” said Jim Henke, vice president of exhibitions and curatorial affairs. “He was an artist who made his mark as a tremendously influential guitarist. He was also an inventor, the man responsible for the solid-body electric guitar and multi-track recording. Few people have accomplished as much as Les did in his legendary career. We will truly miss him.”

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame honored Les Paul for the 13th annual American Music Master’s series in Cleveland – November 15, 2008.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 3:40 PM

Oof that sucks. I've been spending money to see legends like him live over the past two years mainly because I've missed out on so many people before, so I'm glad I got to catch him live once. Even if the club was cramped and the staff was awful, he still made it fun, gave dirty old man stories, one story was about how he thought the Rolling Stones were women and how he wanted to do them.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 3:59 PM

“I am deeply touched by the passing of Les Paul who I first met in 1959. As a guitarist, composer, electronic innovator and inventor, he was beyond genius and there was none other like him. He was a true musical gift from God to the world and spent his life honoring that gift. I proudly play my Les Paul guitars every night on stage and never forget the moments we shared.”

Posted by Randy Bachman | August 13, 2009 5:13 PM

here I expree my most Elevato greeting!!

Posted by eronne | August 13, 2009 11:32 PM

i am saddened to hear the news of Les Paul's passing. it was inspiring to find out that he was responsible (and took responsibility) for the making OF the making of music--a genuine dedication to his craft. i will carry his commitment through my musical works as well. RIP Les Paul.

Posted by Busted Keys | August 14, 2009 2:41 AM

='(

Posted by antoyno | August 16, 2009 9:05 PM

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 1:50 AM

trgfbv

Posted by 742452103661454 | June 9, 2011 10:09 AM

Les Paul was a dick. This is no real secret, so chill out people. Being a huge asshole doesn't mean you weren't incredible and important.

Posted by Johnny | June 15, 2012 4:15 AM