Posted in metal | music | tour dates on August 3, 2009

by Black Bubblegum

Can you mosh to death metal performed by cartoons? (more by Zach Dilgard)
Mastodon

I think it was Cookie Monster who said "One Of Things Is Not Like The Other Thing". My thoughts exactly. In a somewhat of a head-scratching lineup, Mastodon, Dethklok, Converge, and High On Fire will hit the road together in October logging shows across our great nation including Hammerstein Ballroom on 10/30. DC gets the Halloween show. Tickets for the NYC show are on sale August 7th, with a few pre-sales happening before that.

"Dethklok is both a fictional death metal band featured in the Adult Swim animated program Metalocalypse, created by Brendon Small and Tommy Blacha, and a virtual band created to perform the band's music in live shows. The band is sometimes cited as an example of "comedy rock" on par with bands such as GWAR and Spinal Tap." [Wiki]
Not surprisingly, this tour is billed as "Adult Swim Presents". Dethklok will release their new album, Dethalbum II on 9/9/9.

Meanwhile, High On Fire recently announced that they will begin work on the follow-up to Death Is This Communion, for a 2010 release date. On October 29th, Mastodon will hit Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, for a night of non-riffery, bloated psychedelia, and bad jokes. Set your DVRs! Converge is currently working on new material.

All dates below...

Dethklok Mastodon

Mastodon - other 2009 Tour Dates
08/24/2009 Café iguana Monterrey, MEX (Headline Show)
08/25/2009 Jose Cuervo Salon Mexico City, MEX (Headline Show)
08/28/2009 Street Scene Festival San Diego, CA

11/14 Tulsa, OK @ Brady Theater
11/16 Las Cruces, NM @ Pan American Center
11/17 Mesa, AZ @ Mesa Amphitheater
11/18 Las Vegas, NV @ House of Blues
11/19 Los Angeles, CA @ Palladium

(via Lambgoat)

Wow! Amazing....can't wait for this.

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | August 3, 2009 6:50 PM

Gene Hoglan is in Dethklok. They shred live. The show last year at Nokia with Soilent Green and Chimaira was sick.

This bill is great although I'm always a bit let down by High on Fire live. Maybe because I would just rather see Sleep.

Posted by noamjamski | August 3, 2009 6:52 PM

Do you folks like coffee?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 7:08 PM

Tickets for this will be over $30...no thanks

Posted by JT | August 3, 2009 7:29 PM

wish mastodon were just by themselves again

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 7:29 PM

this is an AMAZING bill! First Eyehategod/Pig Destroyer on a boat and now this?! October is going to rule!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 7:36 PM

Who Headlines?

Hope High on Fire adds some off dates
SAN ANTONIO please!

But, this will be GREAT!

Posted by TXn | August 3, 2009 8:28 PM

THIS
IS
AMAZING.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 8:44 PM

HOLY SHIT

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 8:49 PM

High on Fire was one of the highlights for me at Bonnaroo this year. I just hope Mastodon doesn't play their new album all the way through like they did at Irving because that album is balls.

Never seen Converge. Bet they're intense.

Posted by panopticon | August 3, 2009 9:15 PM

Crack The Skye? Balls? WRONG!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:07 PM

I hope Dethklok closes out the Hammerstein show so I can leave after Mastodon. Converge better play a small club show in the city on one of their off-dates.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:09 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2009 11:13 PM

damn... they're playing the Patriot Center in DC (or VA to be exact)?! Didn't realize they were big enough to graduate to arenas already...

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 6:49 AM

does anyone have any advice or idea on how I can purchase presale this morning? Does it require something special (like AMEX only or something) ...or does someone have a password they could share?

Please?

Hey 11:09pm ... seriously. Stick around if Dethklok closes the show. You may like it. Thier show last year was absolutlutely a blast. Awesome music and very funny stuff (laugh out loud). I love "serious" metal as well, but this was just awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 9:29 AM

Just have HIGH ON FIRE play by themselves and Id be happy...oh and dont play any of the new stuff just stick to the first 2 records and some SLEEP material. thanks in advance.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 9:38 AM

Password for presale is : mastoklok

enjoy.

Posted by Burg | August 4, 2009 10:09 AM

too bad it's not just mastadon. fuck the rest of them.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 11:01 AM

August 4, 2009 11:01 AM : For someone who loves Mastodon so much you would think you would know how to spell their name. Ass.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 11:43 AM

"hey shithead. have you seen the bill? of course tickets will be over $30. well worth it too."

not worth it to me considering I've seen every single one of these bands sans Dethklok during their peak years. and by peak years I mean Jane Doe, Remission, and Blessed Black Wings era. so, yes, I am a shithead. and I'm totally bragging and I love it. Have fun seeing over the hill bands @ a huge venue with a bunch of 16 year olds.

Posted by JT | August 4, 2009 11:51 AM

Actually, having seen Converge during both the Petitioning and Empty Sky and When Forever Comes Crashing years, I would say THAT was the peak for Converge, but hey, to each their own. Still like their more recent material, but the live shows don't compare.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 12:18 PM

Some of these bands may not be at their peak, but with Dethklok on the bill, this is the best news I have seen in a long, long time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 1:12 PM

That Dethklok record = underrated.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 3:17 PM

Dethklok isn't funny, the music is boring generic European melodeath, Mastodon haven't done anything good since Leviathan and are boring live, Converge will probably do a headlining tour anyway that will be cheaper, more intimate and with better supporting acts, and High on Fire seem to only tour on shitty, shitty packages so 2005/6 was the time to go see them.

LOL@ the people who like Dethklok.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 4:28 PM

@4:28...remember '07 when MONO played w/ HoF?

or was that shitty, shitty to you?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 10:32 PM

10:32- Not counting tours they headlined, thilly.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2009 11:48 PM

Ill never forget paying 20 dollars just to see high on fire on a fucking lame tour with Mushroomhead headlining with Avenged Sevenfold and ShadowsFall as support..always love to see the High On Fire dudes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 1:07 AM

Alright...all the bands kick ass first of all..it seems to me this concert is going to be HOLY SHIT! status...but i have to say you negative nancies that hate on dethklok can suck my fucking cock!!!! ill grow one some how just so you can suck it cause that is blasphemy!! hating dethklok psh what is wrong with you....but other than that fucking brutal cant wait! aHHHHHH!

Posted by ana | August 26, 2009 5:50 AM

Dethklok Is a very cool creative enterprise. I really dig the humor and the music is really good. If you people who think Dethklok sucks would open your mind to the humor in it all you might change your tune.

Posted by Andy | September 8, 2009 1:30 AM

As soon as I heard about this I already knew I wasn't going.
Honestly, Dethklok is good and I give huge props to Brendon Small(he's just extremely talented at what he does, and funny!), but I'd rather just go to an actual death metal show. At least then I wouldn't have to sit through 3 other bands that aren't remotely in the same genre as Dethklok.
Mastodon is sounding more and more like alternative rock these days, and they are boring as shit live.
Converge is a great band, but I never cared enough to see them live.

Posted by Anonymous | September 20, 2009 3:44 PM

Does anyone know the order of the bands for the shows? I only care to see Mastodon and High on Fire, don't care for Dethklok or Converge, just more generic cheap metal. It'd be tits if High on Fire played some Sleep material.

Posted by Tony | October 12, 2009 10:46 AM

Awww, shit. I was really looking forward to see M&K, but Weezer (and the subsequent $37 tag) ruins this. Seriously.....Weezer blows.

Posted by louis | October 17, 2009 12:54 PM

You gave nice ideas here. I done a research on the issue and learnt most peoples will agree with your blog.

Posted by garrywillmott | January 26, 2010 4:47 AM

i met them all back stage in seattle

Posted by josh? | February 8, 2010 9:46 PM

when is DETHKLOK coming to monroe,lousiana!!!!or new orleans

Posted by dethklok6666 | March 16, 2010 1:23 AM