Posted in music | pictures on August 24, 2009

photos by Bao Nguyen

"The sweatiest I've ever been in my entire life... Also the greatest show I've ever seen in my entire life." - kskill

NIN

"The setlist for [the Bowery Ballroom] show was an excellent mixture of old and new and provided over 2 hours of kickass entertainment. Those of you seeing any of the future NIN shows on this leg of the Wave Goodbye Tour are in for a treat because I've been assured that the shows will all be different and Trent Reznor has got a bunch of really amazing surprises in store (if just *one* of the setlist scenarios I heard about turns out to be true, I will DIE)." [Pink is the New Blog]
I think Trent of the Pink is the New Blog (not to be confused of Trent of NIN), who was in attendance at both NYC shows so far (who was also in attendance at both shows), most have died last night (8/23) at Webster Hall when Nine Inch Nails played The Downward Spiral from start to finish (and 10 other songs). More pictures from Webster Hall, and a bunch of videos, below...

NIN

And of course the Horrors opened...

and here are some videos of NIN...

Setlist & more, HERE.

video of the horrors opening song of their set.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 2:37 AM

The simple and plain truth is this (having been to both shows so far)

Sound wise, intimacy and crowd energy goes to the Bowery show by a country mile

Setlist obviously goes to Webster.

If you differ from this you were either not at both shows or you love The Downward Spiral so much that hearing anything else would be less in your eyes.

Terminal 5 will be shit no matter who shows up (and Bowie aint Trust me)

The person above who said tonite was the greatest show they had ever seen is a complete moron and hopefully is sucking Trent's balls.

Great great shows both nights so far but the best ever. Ummm NO.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 3:23 AM

I am not a fan of Webster's sound in general and Bowery is the best sounding venue of its kind in the city. However NIN show was the best sounding show I have seen at Webster Hall. I don't know how they pulled it off. Maybe I was at a bad spot at Bowery and a particularly good spot at Webster (near the soundboard), but the sound at Webster was at least as good as the Bowery show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 4:10 AM

4:10
You are out of your mind.

Where were you standing at Bowery? Outside the venue?

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 4:30 AM

what the fuck is with the ice hockey hair..

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 8:09 AM

can't fuckin wait for Wednesday, even if it is at T5!

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 8:51 AM

I'm waiting for Devyn's better pictures and better review.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:04 AM

Rad pictures.

Here are 3 videos I got from this epic show:
Metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naSz8E8EE94
The Downward Spiral - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVQw3GtHcW0
Head Like A Hole - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc_Cd5zSxWc

Posted by kskill | August 24, 2009 9:14 AM

Webster Hall show > Bowery show

Both crowd wise and sound wise and set wise....

and I've been following them since 93.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:15 AM

i thought the sound at webster was amazing

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:22 AM

9:15 was not at Bowery if they are saying something like that.

Webster Hall sound was actually really good for Webster that is. Amazing is going a little too far.

And cmon now, better than Bowery? Only a deaf jackass would make a comment like that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:30 AM

was it really over the top loud in there? webster hall really used to crank it up to maximum level.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:35 AM

Last night was awesome, end of story. Will miss Tues but can't wait for Wed...

Posted by Funderburgh | August 24, 2009 9:37 AM

i dont think they let highschool photobloggers into NIN shows

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:43 AM

The show was pretty incredible. Any naysayers in this thread should be ignored. I loved the show even though he didn't play anything from 2 of my favorites (The Fragile - right/red disc and Year Zero).

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:51 AM

As far as the whole silly Bowery vs. Webster debate, let's call them a draw, okay? They both sounded awesome. One doesn't have to be deemed better than the other. Let's not turn this into another stupid BV pissing match between you snobby nerds.

Posted by M | August 24, 2009 9:52 AM

I'm sure if Webster sounded great its because NIN brought their own sound system in.. which is pretty standard with a band of their size playing a smaller venue.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:01 AM

At what point did Trent turn into a meathead? Just wondering, as he was not like that when I saw him in the early/mid 90s.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:02 AM

I was at the Bowery and Webster Hall shows. Both were great but the Webster Hall show was EPIC. Leagues above Bowery.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:06 AM

what are the rumors about what they have in store for the remaining shows?

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:08 AM

10:06 is a perfect example of someone living their life in delusion.
Kudos to you

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:10 AM

Excessive use of steroids makes your penis small and puts you at risk of sterility, fyi.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:15 AM

10:10 - why am i a "perfect example of someone living their life in delusion"?
I was at both shows and I expressed my opinion of which show I enjoyed more. Like I said, they were both great but Webster Hall was definitely a better show, in my opinion.
Please explain how this makes me "delusional".

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:16 AM

I LIKE MUSIC!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:29 AM

I was by the soundboard for both. Bowery sounded much better, but hearing TDS in full was also a treat. Looking forward to Tuesday.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:30 AM

If NIN still had any of the vitriol that they used to - this would have been epic; unfortunately, they're more of a cover version of themselves at this juncture as a four-piece. Great set, but terrible line-up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:37 AM

their opening set during NIN/JA tour at jones beach was better than bowery or webster. i was at all three.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:57 AM

Kudos to 3:23 AM, who says his opinion is the ultimate, keeps reinstating it and calling other people crazy, delusional, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:58 AM

i smeared shit all over my dick in the bathroom during this show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:04 AM

I would have been happier hearing more very recent stuff, but I always seemed to miss the good covers live. So getting Suck, Physical, and Metal made the whole evening, on top of the obvious "Downward Spiral" thing. So happy I scored a ticket.

Regarding the whole sound thing, Webster usually is muddy no matter who is behind the boards and sounded pretty great last night. By a long stretch the best sounding show I've seen there. I guess NIN's team of pros were able to compensate for the normal weaknesses of that venue.

Roseland holds the award for me of the worst sounding venue, but two of the best sounding shows I have ever seen were there (Placebo and Bowie). Sometimes a very skilled sound person can make up for the intrinsic weaknesses in a venue, or the house PA.

Posted by noamjamski | August 24, 2009 11:17 AM

yeah, 3:23am is an asshole. stop posting the same shit on different NIN threads. just because you were at both shows doesn't make you the be-all end-all. (it doesn't get you a cookie either.) let people come to their own conclusions & have them be excited for the T5 shows without you authoritatively stating that it will be shit.

Posted by M | August 24, 2009 11:19 AM

I sure wish that those who thought the show sucked would've given their tickets to the kids outside who were not able to get tickets and really wanted to get in. I was very happy to get tickets and had a great time. I didn't really care what they played, it was for me great to see them at a small venue.

Posted by FL | August 24, 2009 11:22 AM

Posted by FL | August 24, 2009 11:22 AM

Bowery didn't even sell out. People were begging to sell tickets at face value as late as 10:15

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:29 AM

did they have all the video cameras set up, like they did at bowery?

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:31 AM

10:15 -
HAHHAAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:35 AM

no video cameras. they couldn't get the rights to shoot from livenation for webster.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:35 AM

I wasn't at either of these shows... but the set they played at PNC in June was awesome! They opened up with the first three songs off of "Broken" then "Gave Up". And it was a beautiful night (albeit in NJ).

Wish I was at the Bowery show over the weekend (sounds like I would have passed out from heat exhaustion at Webster)... but I'm still happy I saw them one last time a few months ago.

As far as just Audio/Visual/Lighting assault goes... that "Lights in the Sky" tour last year was absolutely incredible. The best lighting / video I've ever seen at a show. "Fragility 2.0" tour was pretty friggen amazing too.

Posted by wembley | August 24, 2009 11:39 AM

It's weird because Webster isn't a Live Nation venue (at least not the way Irving and Blender are). LN has shows there, but so does Bowery Presents. So why was Webster beholden to LN's rules about filming the show? Was this show booked through LN even though the other 3 are obviously Bowery Presents shows?

Curious.

BTW: Fucking awesome show, DS is such a great album-album, fun to see it in order. Too bad it was hot as fucking balls in there. I read online that Big Come Down (quite possibly the only song that woulda made the set better) was cut from the set but besides that, there was no planned encore.

Posted by panopticon | August 24, 2009 11:43 AM

all shows were bowery presents.

webster hall was much better than bowery show. sound was better, crowd was better, setlist was better. and i usually hate webster hall. so there you go.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:53 AM

11:53 -
yup. you hit the nail on the head. no questions asked.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:55 AM

this was posted on nin's twitter about filming the webster hall show:

Thanks to @livenation's exorbitant usage fees, we're not able to officially film tonight's show at Webster Hall.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:56 AM

I'm not sure where you get your information from 11:43, but Big Come Down was the song I most wanted to hear last night. Not a damper on the evening, but I still would have loved to hear that song.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:01 PM

i know 100% these were bowery shows. maybe they are just taking a piss out of live nation. i dont know. but if you try finding tix for nin on livenation.com, only virgin fest shows up, definitely looks like they avoided doing any shows with live nation (kudos to that)

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:04 PM

I saw the news about The Big Come Down on the nin.com message board from a couple of people. It was on the setlist at the sound board and crossed off.

Agreed not a damper on the evening, but shit, that woulda been sweet. Seen em play it before and it absolutely kills live.

Posted by panopticon | August 24, 2009 12:04 PM

I hate music / It's got too many notes

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:38 PM

It's horrible to read how awesome all of this is when you're a bigtime NIN fan who got shut out of tickets. I tried hard to get them but didn't get them.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:44 PM

3:23 can suck my dick because this WAS the best show ever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 2:12 PM

This guy is a Skinny Puppy wannabe. Go see Skinny Puppy in November if you want to see a real techno-goth spectacle. Ogre hasn't become a fat, sweaty, roided-out jackass like Reznor. SP rules!

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 2:20 PM

Say goodbye to sweaty, balding, bulging Roid-wonderboy Twent Wezner, and go see a real band:

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 2:24 PM

Can't wait to see Skinny Puppy. Hope they play TOO DARK PARK in its entirety.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 2:26 PM

Too Dark Park is a classic for sure. Reznor only dreams of being as good as Skinny Puppy. He even admits it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 2:28 PM

SKinny Puppy fucking suxk donkey dykkk!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 2:55 PM

lol at Skinny Puppy fanboys. Although I do want to go see them.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 3:02 PM

I heard for Terminal Five they plan to play Fixed in its entirety.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 3:06 PM

What a goddamn GIFT it was to be able to play that show. I could die now and be quite content, if only because as a collective audience you people were so spectacular and kick-ass.

Posted by justin_mj | August 24, 2009 3:22 PM

3:02 says "lol at Skinny Puppy fanboys. Although I do want to go see them." So ... why are you laughing at yourself? You'd better go see them if you want to see one helluva great show, far better than bald, sweaty roidy boy Twent Wezner can ever do.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:41 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:43 PM

Is it true that Reznor plans to off himself onstage at the final show?

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:45 PM

Yes its true he got engaged to throw everyone off

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:55 PM

Steroids and depressing lyrics= Trent Reznor ala Michael Jackson.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:29 PM

Twent Wezner is so cool: he did hewoin and lived in Sharon Tate's house where Charlie Manson's acid-crazed hippies killed her and cut out her baby. How gothic cool of Twent Weznor to take loads of smack and live in that house! Let's see Marilyn Manson top that! And now Twent isn't angwy anymore so he takes mega-roids to get some roid rage working before he goes onstage. Twent Wezner is my hero!

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:56 PM

^ Trent and Marilyn's love child.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 1:55 AM

Maaaaa!!!! Where's my protein??!!!! Maaaa!!!!

ROIDS.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 10:24 AM

^ HemorR(h)OIDS. Yours.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 1:39 PM

The show at Webster was great IMHO. Everyone is entitled to their view. Hearing Big Come Down would have made it almost as awesome as it could have been if I had scored with the girl I was at the show with. :(

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:42 PM

^ Please, tell us more about your personal life - we're all fascinated.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2009 1:11 AM

the comments never fail to make me laugh
the world is insane!

Posted by zincink | October 2, 2009 1:17 AM

NIN SUCKS VEGAN COCK

Posted by dickheads | October 7, 2009 11:22 PM

I love your site and the article is useful!

Posted by lv | October 17, 2009 9:40 PM

I am very much interested in music.I am satisfied with this site for their information and blogs regarding the music thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2010 7:14 PM