Posted in music | pictures on August 23, 2009

The Horrors & Nine Inch Nails @ Webster Hall (pic via Pink is the New Blog)
NIN

"I decided to approach this show like I was going to see any other band. I went to dinner, and went to the show shortly after the doors opened. It felt weird to not wait in line all day, but it was one of the best decisions I've made in a while. I just wanted to see what it felt like to casually approach a NIN show; plus, I wanted to spend time with my friend and in NYC instead of being in NIN tunnel vision mode. And since [Bowery Ballroom] only held 500 people, I thought my chances of still getting a good spot were high... In a few hours, I'll be doing this all again at Webster Hall. Today, I love my life.."
[Hardrockchick @ Bowery Ballroom]
Like some fans did at Bowery Ballroom, people slept all night in front of Webster Hall which is where Nine Inch Nails are currently playing played a show Sunday night, August 23rd. It's a very small venue for the band, but not as small as the show they played on Saturday at Bowery.

Tonight's show is the 2nd of 10 shows on the NIN 'Wave Goodbye' tour, and they played The Downward Spiral from start to finish! There were a total of 24 songs with no encore. Some great pictures HERE. A few more pictures, and some videos, and the full setlist, below...

Webster Hall soundcheck (pic via nin.com)
NIN

* Robin Finck: Guitar, backing vocals
* Justin Meldal-Johnsen: Bass, guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
* Trent Reznor: Vocals, guitar, keyboards
* Ilan Rubin: Drums, keyboards
NIN

the beginning of the show @ Webster Hall

Bowery & Webster bracelets (pic of & by fithcky)
NIN

'Heresy' @ Webster Hall (not great sound)

NIN @ Webster Hall (pic by fithcky)
NIN

"the Becoming" @ Webster Hall (not great sound)

A Warm Place @ Webster Hall

NIN @ Webster Hall in NYC (August 23, 2009) - setlist
1. "Mr. Self Destruct"
2. "Piggy"
3. "Heresy"
4. "March of the Pigs"
5. "Closer"
6. "Ruiner"
7. "The Becoming"
8. "I Do Not Want This"
9. "Big Man with a Gun"
10. "A Warm Place"
11. "Eraser"
12. "Reptile"
13. "The Downward Spiral"
14. "Hurt"
15. 1,000,000
16. Terrible Lie
17. Metal
18. Lights In the Sky
19. Burn
20. Gave Up
21. Suck
22. Physical
23. The Hand That Feeds
24. Head Like A Hole
no encore.

More pictures coming soon! HERE

"Thank you very much, we're Nine Inch Nails."

Posted by Beavis | August 23, 2009 10:19 PM

Amazing

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 10:19 PM

ok, I',m not a big fan of the whole "play an album form start to finish" thing, but of ALL the albums I'd want to hear live....this would have been the one.

can not wait until wednesday....

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 10:22 PM

i hope the trend of people sleeping out on the sidewalk isn't going to carry over to the next 2 shows!

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 10:30 PM

Reznor: fat, bald and boring.

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 10:34 PM

reznor is on steroids. he is not fat, bald or boring during his roid rage.

Posted by hem roid | August 23, 2009 10:40 PM

This may go down as the best Nine Inch Nails show ever of all time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 10:51 PM

26) I'm Afraid of Americans with David Bowie!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 10:53 PM

they better not play one of the new albums from start to finish.......
i will stab trent in the face!
how about "broken" from start to finish!
but its only like 27 minutes!

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 10:57 PM

webster hall only holds 500 people?

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:13 PM

Webster Hall definitely holds 1450, not 500.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "special guests" portion came at Terminal 5. David Bowie, Peter Murphy, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:17 PM

"webster hall only holds 500 people?"

Bowery Ballroom does

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:18 PM

I have to say, it was quite bizarre to hear a crowd just not cheer for an encore. I mean it was almost dead silent. Good for NIN for not doing an encore just to do one, but more so, shame on the crowd for standing there, waiting for something to happen. I thought they deserved to come back out, but some people obviously didn't. My friend kind of hated it. Go figure. I was excited to hear the entire Downward Spiral, but I really wanted to hear WISH. oh well. either way, i felt lucky to have been there and to have seen NIN one last time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:26 PM

Marilyn Manson was on the right hand side balcony

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:26 PM

this show was fucking fantastic, though there were some seriously annoying women in the crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:34 PM

so was that chimp from the Raveonettes

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:34 PM

@Anon11:34 - "chimp"...yikes.

Posted by blackhat | August 23, 2009 11:41 PM

nick zinner was there

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:44 PM

"how about "broken" from start to finish!
but its only like 27 minutes!"

well, 33 if you include the essential 90 one second tracks.

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:49 PM

nick zinner will be the guitarist from the strokes soon......they had a great run, and now they are poop! yyy's will be there soon!

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:50 PM

and get a haircut!

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2009 11:51 PM

i heard talks of David Bowie, Peter Murphy, Jhonn Balance, and Marilyn Manson all making guest appearances at the T5 shows

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:06 AM

Weird to say but that show was better than Bowery show.....

p.s. Marilyn Manson wasn't there but Nick Zinner was....he's one cool dude

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:07 AM

thanks for the setlist and the photos.
I know that videos are awesome too but I dont want to spoil myself before I see the band on next tuesday.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:08 AM

No encore had nothing to do with the crowd. The crowd was into the show the whole time and there was cheering at the end. Lights and music came on before the crowd got a chance to cheer more. It was extremely hot at Webster. The band gave their all and they seemed pretty exhausted on their way out. That might be the reason or maybe it was planned that way from the start. Most shows have a setlist beforehand including all the encores regardless of the cheering. I've seen bands coming back for several encores without hardly any cheering from the crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:11 AM

@anon 12:06: yeah I heard Jhon Balance is coming back from the dead to play T5!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:23 AM

i only had to pay security $300 to see this show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:26 AM

amazing show. but I am bummed it started so early. Mercury Lounge didn't have the set times like usual, so I based it off last night w them starting at 9:30 to have arrived at 9:20 missing the first 5 songs of DS. Was really nice to hear some of those deeper cuts off that album tho. Great great show. I think I may go to T5 this week...

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:26 AM

Hi trolls! Glad you found this board to terrorize!
Note to anyone reading this: posts that are incredibly negative or inaccurate are the work of a small group of mentally disturbed superfans that are dismayed that TR is getting married to someone other than their pathetic selves.
Their form of entertainment is to stalk any place like this with relaxed posting requirements (see Rolling Stone) and disrupt any scenario with their nonsense.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:28 AM

@Anon12:28 - What negative comments? I wasn't there but all I'm seeing and reading is pure adulation.

Posted by blackhat | August 24, 2009 12:35 AM

videos of big man with a gun, ruiner, physical, and piggy here. horrors video to be uploaded too.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:37 AM

a woman kept lifting her top stage left, and there were a lot of shirtless tattooed men. had a very g'n'r/metallica circa '92 vibe. nonetheless, an amazing show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:51 AM

The venue was so incredibly hot. People were kinda burnt after TDS was played all the way through. Sucks there was no encore, but the 10 songs after TDS kind of WERE an encore, I guess. Trent said this would be the first and last time he played TDS front to back. Awesome. Really special show for the hardcore fans.

Posted by panopticon | August 24, 2009 12:54 AM

i wish i was there... given that webster hall concerts are pretty much saunas i can only imagine how incredibly hot and uncomfortable it must have been. making physical contact with sweaty, shirtless guys must have been pretty disgusting also. There must have been a simply beyond terrible smell of sweat.... Still i wish i was there...

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:57 AM

thank you very much we're M.E.H.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 1:08 AM

how are people still getting tickets?
arent all the shows sold out?

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 1:10 AM

"making physical contact with sweaty, shirtless guys must have been pretty disgusting also."

Hey, speak for yourself. Making contact with shirtless sweaty guys sounds pretty awesome to me. To each its own. (But not if they're meathead-y assholes.)

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 1:20 AM

The sweatiest I've ever been in my entire life...
Also the greatest show I've ever seen in my entire life.

I noticed the crowd wasn't begging for an entire (myself included). I was genuinely satisfied and so pooped out from the show I wasn't sure I can handle it. Tonight's show was leagues better than the Bowery show (which was rad). Stoked for the T5's on Tues/Wed.

Shot 3 videos that are currently uploading on my youtube, here's Head Like A Hole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc_Cd5zSxWc

Posted by kskill | August 24, 2009 1:35 AM

big man with a gun -

sorry for the shitty audio at the end, apparently my camera doesn't like lights and heavy bass.

eraser

physical

piggy

ruiner

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 1:35 AM

@1:20am

They're meathead-y assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 1:36 AM

The show was incredible. I heard a leak before the show started that they were gonna do the whole DS album but didn't think it was true.

had front center rail the whole show. Was comfortable and having a great time the whole show. If you saw the 3 girls online in the front one of them was me. Totally worth the wait and more. I don't think anything could top this

Posted by Corinne | August 24, 2009 1:47 AM

The simple and plain truth is this (having been to both shows so far)

Sound wise, intimacy and crowd energy goes to the Bowery show by a country mile

Setlist obviously goes to Webster.

If you differ from this you were either not at both shows or you love The Downward Spiral so much that hearing anything else would be less in your eyes.

Terminal 5 will be shit no matter who shows up (and Bowie aint Trust me)

The person above who said tonite was the greatest show they had ever seen is a complete moron and hopefully is sucking Trent's balls.

Great great shows both nights so far but the best ever. Ummm NO.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 3:21 AM

My favorite moment last night was the bass, and guitar break in 'Ruiner". It was so over the top intense. glad i got to the TDS in full. It won't happen again on the tour.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 8:36 AM

Yeah, I've got nothing to say that hasn't been said about how great of a show this was. It was great.

Anyway, how about we send a big "fuck you" to Webster Hall. They charge $5 for a bottle of water, and are too cheap to do something about the ventilation in there?

I was standing against the wall, not pressed up against anyone or dancing much and my clothes from last night are still drenched in sweat. WTFs?

Posted by Paul | August 24, 2009 9:08 AM

Who are these delusional taint lickers who believe someone is actually jealous of Trent's "ladyfriend" or jealous that they aren't marrying Trent?? She is a midget who chain smokes and he is a fat old man.....nobody is jealous. Whoever gets stuck with Trent isn't getting a prize.
Saw these two BOTH at the show last night and they are nothing special to behold......and I will agree, this show was better than Bowery, but still nothing to write home about. Reznor is tired and he needs to go home.....

Posted by CJ | August 24, 2009 9:16 AM

Great show. I first saw NIN on their TDS tour and this was a great way to say goodbye.

Posted by Chris Carella | August 24, 2009 9:43 AM

CJ,
The only loser taint licker is you. Trent is fat huh? I would love to see you say that to his face and enjoy even more watching him pulverize you. And no way was Webster better than Bowery

Go away troll

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:55 AM

cum

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:05 AM

The lack of encore was sort of a surprise, actually. But I can't blame them. It was hotter than the 9th circle of hell at Webster Hall. I sort of think that the songs after DS were the encore.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:09 AM

If someone called Trent fat, he would just take it.....Dude is not a tough guy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 11:13 AM

@ 11:09 -

Right on. If you think about what we saw, everything after the DS set was basically an encore on its own. Further, I've only been grosser/sweatier once in my entire life from a concert, it was almost unbearable in there.

lastly, quit bitching about water costing $5. Beers were $5 too (at least from the dude on the side of the left side of the venue) and that's pretty reasonable if you ask me. Stop whining and just drink beer next time, you'll think you're getting a bargain.

Someone asked about merch prices earlier too - posters were $20 (2 versions - one for the whole tour and one for just the NYC shows), and I think shirts were $30 but they seemed to be selling out with at least certain styles pretty quickly...

Posted by Funderburgh | August 24, 2009 11:58 AM

Awesome show!!
Awful clapping by audiences for Hurt lol.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 12:00 PM

What was the name of the Gary Numan song that was played? I thought it was really good.

Posted by FL | August 24, 2009 12:56 PM

Never mind -- the Gary Numan song was "Metal."

Posted by FL | August 24, 2009 12:59 PM

Bowery show was a straight-up NIN show, mostly working off the same list of songs used all summer. Awesome, but many of us have seen it already.

To see The Downward Spiral played start to finish was totally unique - for NIN and for the audience - and it's uniqueness fueled the energy to a level heretofore unseen for everyone who understood what was happening.

Sound quality changes depending on where you were standing. For me, Webster was incomparably better than Bowery. Others very likely had different experiences.

Posted by Kaze | August 24, 2009 7:47 PM

I'll call Reznor fat to this face and if he lifts a finger toward me he'll regret it immensely. He IS fat. He and Marilyn Manson should get married and then have a pistol duel onstage for the final show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 9:51 PM

@9:51

Shut teh fuck up. He is not "Fat". He's a 40 year old guy who lifts weights and he's a health nut.

Maybe you should get your little pansy bitch ass out of Williamsburg and you'd see what real men look like you dumb shit.

Fucking loser. Who cares how much someone weighs other than vapid little useles shits like you. Move back to the suburban shithole you came from.

Posted by Paulie | August 24, 2009 10:10 PM

Wow, 9:51, so jealous! I sense some bitterness! He looked great, and the show was great!

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2009 10:58 PM

You have no idea who you're talking to.I don't live in Williamsburg and I'll bet you I could knock Reznor out before he even landed a punch on me. If he or any of his henchmen are reading this, give me a time and a place and we'll do it. This prick thinks he's cool because he took heroin and lived in Roman Polanski's house where Sharon Tate was murdered and her baby was cut out of her by Charlie Manson's crew. "Wow, I took smack and pretended like I was Charlie Manson so I could write my masterpiece." What a dickhead. If Trent's game, like I said, anytime, anywhere.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 12:44 AM

^ HA! Ya gotta love an Internet tough guy!

12:44, your mom is calling.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 1:52 AM

I"ve got news for you.....Reznor is an Internet tough guy. He's not gonna beat anybody's ass or punch anybody in the tits.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 11:39 AM

^ So why be another?

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 1:35 PM

For fucks sake, who is this guy whose yelling about wanting to fight Trent Reznor? Go chill out.

Posted by Paul | August 25, 2009 2:36 PM

This show is right up there with Woodstock 94 as one of the most legendary performances by the band. I don't see how this could be topped unless Trent comes out screaming Happiness in Slavery in one of the other shows.

Webster hall was hot as balls, I agree. Beers for me were 8 bucks but the waitress kept giving me free cups of water so I was ok with that. Sound was good from I was standing, the last few times I saw NIN live were in huge venues so this was a shit ton better sound wise.

People can cry,bitch, moan or be envious that their leg of this tour isn't as awesome but the fact is this: TDS has been Trent's number 1 album and it will stay his number 1 album and we got to hear it front to back for the first and last time.

So yeah

Legendary NIN performance at Webster Hall.

Posted by uLy | August 26, 2009 12:33 AM

Terminal 5 Night One post:

(starting Peter Murphy)

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2009 1:04 AM

Wow. They played A Warm Place? I would've gone just for that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2009 9:53 AM

Yeah I was wondering how that one sounded live. Has it ever been played before?

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2009 10:02 AM

@ 11:39 just stfu you are so full of shit your stinking up the entire goddamn page dont you have something better to do? ....apparently not.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2009 12:34 PM

A Warm Place has never been played live before up until this show

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2009 9:15 AM

Terminal 5 show (day 1) was really really awesome. The band gave it their all, and played thru a huge catalog of songs very very tightly. Also me and my friends hands down agree that Ilan Rubin is one of the best drummers the band ever had. Way to go out with a bang, NIN !

Posted by Michna | September 2, 2009 4:01 PM