Posted in music on August 13, 2009

'your tax deductible benefit ticket helps fund needed improvements to our park' - OSA

Williamsburg Waterfront (more by Bao Nguyen)
Pool Party

"The Open Space Alliance for North Brooklyn (OSA) does fund raising for North Brooklyn parks and works with Jelly and the East River State Park in producing the Pool Parties on Sundays. Each week OSA makes available VIP tickets to the Pool Parties. Purchase of VIP Benefit tickets to the free concerts at the East River State Park/Williamsburg Waterfront include entrance through the VIP entrance at North 7th Street without waiting in line [P.S. you must be 21 or older to use the VIP Benefit ticket...]. Access the area next to the stage where the artist & production team hang, enjoying the waterfront view and New York City skyline with a couple hours of complimentary beer and sangria. Have fun while doing good: your tax deductible benefit ticket helps fund needed improvements to our park."
Those tickets are available for the three remaining Pool Parties this summer.
Sunday, Aug 16 - Del the Funky Homosapien & Prince Paul & Gravy Train! & DD/MM/YY & Kenan Bell (VIP tix)
Sunday, Aug 23 - Girl Talk, Max Tundra and Wiz Khalifa (VIP tix)
Sunday, Aug 30 - Grizzly Bear and Beach House (VIP tix)
$50 seems really pricey for this, but I'm not going to knock a charity (and it's tax deductible). Check out a video from OSA and a clip from the Fiery Furnaces' August 9th set below...

Fiery Furnaces - Worry Worry South

OSA AND PPE

Fuck OSA

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:50 AM

hahahah anyone who buys $50 tickets for a free show would only be kids in Williamsburg Hipsterville.

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | August 13, 2009 10:52 AM

This is very smart.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:56 AM

$50 for all you can drink Sangria and NOT having to stand sandwiched between a bunch of trustfund hipsters who haven't showered in months? Sign me up!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:01 AM

Good idea. I wish them luck.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:01 AM

I'm with 11:01! $50 well spent.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:05 AM

You only get the sangria for a limited amount of time and the VIP area is pretty small so you're pretty much stuck sandwiched between a bunch of trustfund hipsters who haven't showered in month but are dumb enough to pay $50 for a free show anyways.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:11 AM

It should be $50 for the whole summer.

If you donate $80 (the very least amount) to MOMA, you get free entrance (or rather pre-paid for) to the museum, the music series, movies, PS1 and all the warm-up sessions. You also get members discounts at the stores. For $120, you get a dual membership.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:11 AM

oh please, getting into the vip at a pool party is easy as pi

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:13 AM

Something seems fishy. Why not offer this all year?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:18 AM

a couple hours of drinking? This could easily be worth the 50 dollars. "next to the stage" does this mean you can't actually see the stage?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:23 AM

I have never been to one of these. How early do you need to get there to get in? Do these shows usually fill to capacity?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:23 AM

Free booze and VIP area for only $50? That's a great deal. But what about cancellations? The only shows I was interested in were MoB and Trail of Dead. I would have sucked to pay $50 only to have it canceled.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:25 AM

I've been in VIP at 3 shows so far. They run out of free beer at around 4pm so you'd have to be an absolute sucker to pay for this crap.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:28 AM

The description makes it seem like they are letting you in a different VIP than the normal VIP. Is it the same VIP or an artist one backstage? I am confused. And yeah, there deal is misleading because the regular VIP has run out of free Bud Light (yes, that's all the offer) every time before I even got there

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:35 AM

This is one of those things for people who are super rich, but not connected. For them, $50 is nothing, and they'll do it for any added convenience. Like the super-near-the-stage VIP tickets at All Points West that were like a zillion dollars.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:37 AM

"They run out of free beer at around 4pm"

yeah...but they open up at 2pm...which means 2 hours of free booze...and if you can't drink $50 worth of free booze in 2 hours than you're a pussy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:40 AM

"For them, $50 is nothing"

For anyone with a job...any job...$50 is nothing. Try getting one sometime...it'll do wonders for your self-esteem.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:42 AM

I wipe my ass with 50s

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:46 AM

"This is one of those things for people who are super rich, but not connected. For them, $50 is nothing, "

Super rich? Hardly. It's called going to college, not wasting my time doing bong hits, and getting a great job. Not hard at all. Sorry if you failed in life, but that's not my problem. Have fun slumming it in Bushwick.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:47 AM

Super Rich = willing to spend $50 on THIS. Normal people can afford $50 would rather waste it on a good meal or a back of coke. $50 to have an hour of open bar and stand in the "cool" section is a waste.... except for the Super Rich.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:51 AM

What is a back of coke? Is that like body shots, but with coke?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:54 AM

Hmmmmm. Back of coke.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:56 AM

11:51AM lives in Bushwick. Do you friends and family back home in the Midwest know you live in a ghetto?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:57 AM

If you don't know what a back of coke (doing massive lines off someone's back) is you don't belong in VIP.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:00 PM

I prefer an inner thigh or ass cheek of coke, but that's just me

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:09 PM

$50. Well, to see Girl Talk play Terminal 5 or Grizzly Bear play Town Hall, one would probably end up spending $25 to $30 on a ticket. Granted: these shows are free, but who doesn't expect it will require getting there pretty early and waiting in a long line to get into either of those? So buying a VIP ticket guarantees entry and allows for line skippage. Plus: free drinks if you are early. And: the ticket prices goes to support a cause (one I don't know anything about, so I'll not judge that either way). Seems like a potentially reasonable purchase, not one I would choose (I'd rather stand in line or get there early and not drink, honestly, given my income), but I can see why someone else might go for it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:27 PM

hahaha 11:40

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:42 PM

So let me get this straight. Based on these comments, this is how my day will go:

Having paid my $50, I will arrive at around 4PM to discover that their 1 case of Bud Light has run out (Commenter 11:35AM).

I will then take my place standing, to my left, next to an entitled piece of shit that will keep talking too loudly about how she dated Todd Patrick until she eventually turns to me to ask if I have any coke (Commenter 11:37AM, 11:51AM).

To my right, will be some asshole in cargo pants who will keep talking too loudly about his downtown job, vacation plans, and how much he hates "hipsters," eventually getting drunk enough to talk about that one time "I got robbed in Bushwick, that fucking ghetto." (Commenter 11:47AM, 11:57AM)

I think I'll just make an anonymous donation to that cause, thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:43 PM

I've been in VIP at most of the shows and the sangria usually runs out immediately, and the bud light at around 3:30. But there has been free ice cream and red bulls! No backs of coke though...

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:55 PM

Don't buy these tickets. This is a scam.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:09 PM

It would take you a fuckload of time to drink $50 worth of free Bud Light. A glass of Bud Light costs like 50ยข at most when purchased in keg format.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:20 PM

the Pool Parties are free entry?

Posted by G | August 13, 2009 1:27 PM

hey lazy dumbass

some of us actually try to do better and support our communities instead of just taking up space. you should try it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:31 PM

How on earth is a donation to a charity that puts on free shows a "scam"?

You people are fucked in the head.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:33 PM

it takes a lot of money, time, and energy from a lot of people to put on these shows.

If you are unable to understand that

you should just stay home

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:34 PM

12:43 you got it right, except the part about cargo pants- they're banned

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:39 PM

I like to use my $50's to do lines off of WAVVES' wizard boner.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:43 PM

New WAVVES track is pretty awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:04 PM

can i snort coke on the side of the stage with these tickets?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:35 PM

"Gravy Train!!!!" has four exclamation points, dumbass.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:37 PM

Ah promoting the hipster dbags with their mommy's trust funds in tow - yet again.

fucking NY!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 5:54 PM

$50 is steep, but considering that you can no longer walk around freely with beer at these shows and that Grizzly Bear/Beach House will be an absolute clusterfuck to get into on the general admission lines, it seems like the only way to go.

I will do my best to drink all the beer, ensuring that the people who arrive late get none.

Carry on with your discussion about hipsters, coke and Wavves.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 8:47 PM

backs of coke are the new MEH

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 9:40 PM

Ha yeah 11-40 was funny stuff.

Posted by bowtrol | January 18, 2010 3:16 PM