Posted in music on August 26, 2009

Peter Murphy makes a grand appearance @ Terminal 5 - 8/26/09 (by trentvanegas)
Peter Murphy

"Whether rising from coffins on-stage, driving a hearse called the "Bauhearse," or appearing in concert as vampires, Bauhaus was one of the establishing acts of the goth movement. Their use of spacey recording effects and theatrical aesthetics was evocative of both early horror films and glam rock; they became an influential group in the early days of gothic rock.

In 1982, Bauhaus appeared during the opening sequences of the horror movie The Hunger, performing one of their most popular songs, "Bela Lugosi's Dead". The camera focused almost exclusively on Murphy during most of the scene, panning only briefly to the stars David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve." [Wikipedia]

Nine Inch Nails have completed their four-night run in NYC. Tonight (8/26) was the 2nd show at Terminal 5 and it ended with another guest appearance by Peter Murphy who descended from the ceiling on a chain... upside down like a bat (see above and below).

Peter helped Trent and band perform "Reptile", "Strange Kind Of Love", Bauhaus's "Bela Lugosi's Dead", and Pere Ubu' "Final Solution". Full setlist and video below...

NIN w/ special guest -for Reptile

UPDATE: Video is acting screwy. if it doesn't work, try HERE.

----

Bowery Ballroom -- Webster Hall -- Terminal 5 x 1 -- Terminal 5 x 2....

NIN @ Terminal 5 - August 26, 2009 - setlist
1. "Pinion"
2. "Somewhat Damaged"
3. "Wish"
4. "Last"
5. "Sin"
6. "March Of The Pigs"
7. "Something I Can Never Have"
8. "Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)"
9. "Metal"
10. "Terrible Lie"
11. "Head Down"
12. "Burn"
13. "Gave Up"
14. "La Mer"
15. "The Frail"
16. "The Wretched"
17. "Non-Entity"
18. "Gone, Still"
19. "Lights In The Sky"
20. "The Downward Spiral"
21. "1,000,000"
22. "Survivalism"
23. "The Good Soldier"
24. "Dead Souls"
25. "Hurt"

Encore
26. "Suck"
27. "Down In It"
28. "The Hand That Feeds"
29. "Head Like A Hole"
30. "Reptile" with Peter Murphy
31. "Strange Kind Of Love" with Peter Murphy
32. "Bela Lugosi's Dead" with Peter Murphy
33. "Final Solution" with Peter Murphy

Wow...that's scary quick! Show ended 15 mins ago! Awesome setlist but Terminal 5 ruined the experience. Hot as Hell and way oversold. Never ever again. Venue made show subpar

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2009 11:58 PM

Bela Lugosi into Final Solution!? That's pretty fucking sick. Nice one, Trent.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:00 AM

Tonights setlist is soooooo much better than last nights

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:09 AM

11:58 -- you got to see one of NIN's last shows ever (maybe) AND they covered Bela Lugosi WITH peter fucking murphy. and your complaining because it was hot!? you poor, poor thing.

so over you ungrateful whiners.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:17 AM

That picture is crazy awesome.

Posted by Matt | August 27, 2009 12:23 AM

Bela Lugosi was not played...just a few verses. And big fucking deal...not like it's a major coup to get Murphy. He can't sell out Canal Room.

It was a weird ending to a good show. Terminal 5 is horrendous. For someone looking forward to this show I left dissapointed. It was way too oversold

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:26 AM

12:26 you're a cynical bastard

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:31 AM

Show was absolutely sick. Unbelievable setlist, incredible encore. Who cares that it was crowded and hot as all hell with sound issues too, they went out with a fucking bang. Highlights - Sin, Wish, and especially Down in it...with the final encore being memorable start to finish.

Posted by Funderburgh | August 27, 2009 12:31 AM

12:31- not cynical. Just an honest fans experience.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:35 AM

talking shit about peter murphy??! are u fucking kidding me??
nobody said it's a coup. it's just fucking great. he's legend, great now as much as whenever.
"couldn't sell out canal room" awwww, gee i guess he stayed core alternative and didn't attract the crossover gadflys like you, buzzing around bands like NIN (who are great but not because they can fill a huge space with people like u).

DILETTANTE. pretty much sums it up.

Posted by pj | August 27, 2009 12:37 AM

Plenty of room to breathe, didn't seem oversold to me. Just was sold out which is expected.

Peter Murphy performing Reptile upside down was unreal, definitely the highlight of the show. Incredible setlist as well.

Mew were also great, glad I chose to see them over The Horrors.

Only downside of the show was what sounded like a blown out speaker for a couple songs, but they fixed it somehow.

Epic win for Trent and Co.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:41 AM

I wish terminal 5 would retire instead of nin

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:41 AM

I was there last night, so I know exactly how hot and crowded it was. And yes, no one likes T5. We've literally heard it a thousand times.

But really, if you can't get past it and appreciate what was obviously a phenomenal show, then your attitude is as big of a problem as the venue.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:43 AM

Pj...u weren't even out of kindergarden when Murphy was relevant. Love nerds who pretend they know a true musical genius.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:44 AM

so by your logic 12:44, I'm not allowed to say that Abraham Lincoln was a kick ass president?

Posted by not Pj | August 27, 2009 12:46 AM

Any venue that has as many blind spots as T5 should be blacklisted. I got in at 730 at spent half of the show moving around to see the full stage. Tell me one other serious venue in NY with those same problems.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:48 AM

Best NIN show ever...those that can't appreciate Peter Murphy listened to Evanescence like they were gods five years ago...can't stand the heat 11:46..you should stop commenting while the show was going on..or were u outside calling ur friends saying the show was over?? yeah..ur a real fan

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:52 AM

uh, 12:44...

what?? i'm sorry but did i miss something? why would u make that assumption (tho i wish it were true regarding the time) and more importantly, do u know me? why would u insult me like that? what did i say that provoked that 'nerds who pretend' line?

this isn't the place for back and forth anyway. feel free to contact me, i'd love to hear the basis for your thoughts.

btw, thx 'not pj'. agreed.

Posted by pj | August 27, 2009 12:54 AM

I've been to sold out shows at T5 before and this is by far the crowdest and hottest show there.

That said, I think it was the perfect venue for NIN to play.

A big metallic cavern with rows and rows of people on all sorts of levels. It was hot and nasty and maybe some people got a little pissed but NIN aint no country band.

I have a massive headache and feel like throwing up.

Great Show.

Posted by BARF | August 27, 2009 12:56 AM

go to sleep !2:52 u need to rest up for the britney show tomorrow

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:05 AM

I don't know if this tops webster but wow this show was incredible. Had front center rail, The energy was amazing. The setlist was PERFECT, couldn't have been a better show to go out with. Totally worth sleeping outside T5 last night.

He will be back in a few years ;)

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:05 AM

I do have to say, the NIN fans are a dedicated bunch.

It was pretty much full by the time the Mew came on.

Good job guys!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:11 AM

August 27, 2009 12:26 AM: So because Murphy isnt popular, he isnt a worthy guest? God, are you an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:19 AM

That setlist is missing whatever instrumental version of Closer it is that they played.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:23 AM

awesome show

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:26 AM

Terminal 5 sucks balls, intimate show my ass, I rather see them at Roseland/Hammerstein, or just about any other venue other than T5.

burn T5.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:30 AM

Uhh... that "instrumental version of Closer" is a song called "The Downward Spiral." You know, the song that's 8 tracks past "Closer." Idiot.

Posted by M | August 27, 2009 1:30 AM

tonight's show was saved by that encore. the setlist was WEAK up until then, with only Lights In The Sky, Sin & Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now) as the only notable songs played. Other than that, there were WAAAAY too many standard NIN songs played. I would guess that the vamjority of people there had been to at least one or more of the other NY shows...you think any of them REALLY needed to hear fucking THTF or Suvivalsim again? Same goes for Burn, MOTP etc. I was expecting way more rare songs. The setlists Sat & last night were much better than tonight. Luckily, that encore was AWESOME and saved the show, and made it worth going to.

Posted by Jesse | August 27, 2009 1:32 AM

It was crowded, but nowhere as crowded as one of the extremely oversold Raconteurs shows there last year.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:35 AM

Full video of Murphy performing "Reptile" uploading right now to http://www.youtube.com/kh863

Of all four NY shows, Webster was still the best (ever!.. as noted in my BV headline quote a few days ago). Then comes Bowery, then tonight, then last night. Awesome way for live NIN to go down. As a fan for the past 15 years, I'm left totally satisfied.

Posted by kskill | August 27, 2009 1:36 AM

hey M, go fuck yourself. sorry i'm not the superfan you are, but hey, thanks for lording your infinite NIN wisdom over me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:38 AM

Jesse, please give me your definitions of "notable" & "standard," b/c without them, I really have no idea what you're getting at in your post. ("Lights in the Sky?" Notable?)

Posted by M | August 27, 2009 1:40 AM

instrumental version of closer? fail. epic fail.

last night was better than tonight just based on Ruiner alone.

Posted by Jesse | August 27, 2009 1:41 AM

I'm really no superfan, but you're welcome.

Posted by M | August 27, 2009 1:50 AM

@ M 1:30

Uhh... that song called "The Downward Spiral" is 9 tracks past "Closer." Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:52 AM

i was expecting more "rare" songs...ones that havent been played in years, or only sporadically showed up so far this summer. Physical, Meet Your Master, TLBTB, TDTWWA, Ruiner, Eraser, Sin, LITS, Last, I Do Not Want This, Now I'm Nothing & Love Is Not Enough are all songs that have been played a few times this summer.

Songs that haven't been played in years that i hoped to hear over the course of the past few shows were We're In This Together, Sanctified, Deep, maybe HAPPINESS IN SLAVERY!

Now, you could have switched any of these or many others with "standards" and i doubt you'd hear any complaints from the crowd, since most of that crowd is probably diehard NIN fans. "standards" include all the typical shit they play almost every night:

MOTP
Gave Up
Survivalism
THTF
Hurt
HLAH
Non-Entity
Burn
Wish
1,000,000
Discipline

youre telling me you wouldnt want to switch out most of those for the ones i listed above that? Obviously you need some of the big hits in there, but ALL of them? Come on...most of the people there were probably there the night before.

Posted by Jesse | August 27, 2009 1:52 AM

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:00 AM

all peter murphy songs, and a lot of the rest of the set, being uploaded here

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:03 AM

come on how can you complain that it was too hot too crowded? everyone wanted to see this show so why begrudge that they squeezed in as many people as possible? sometimes i just dont understand...

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:06 AM

Uhh, "Closer" is track 5. "The Downward Spiral" is track 13. 13 - 5 = 8.

So that makes you a moron, 1:52. (Or are you still the kettle?)

I can't believe I'm having this discussion.

(And fair enough, Jesse. Thanks for explaining. We're in agreement.)

Posted by M | August 27, 2009 2:09 AM

reptile w/ peter murphy (upside down)

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:09 AM

I went both nights. I thought the tuesday show was excellent - tonight was a nightmare.
There was a/c running all night on tuesday? why did terminal 5 shout it down after 1/2 hour or 45 minutes? The crowd seemed completely wilted tonight by the heat.
and there was a big huge guy behind the bar on the floor - and he actually started screaming at the top of his lungs for Peter Murphy to shut up during Strange Kind of Love. I could not believe what an idiot he was. He was screaming it was a NIN show and for PM to get off the stage. I personally wanted to go over and tell him off or hit him - but really didn't want to get hurt or something.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:10 AM

Well, I've been reading all the review and comments about these shows, culminating in tonight. This was the only show of the four I was able to get tickets for, so I was desperate for any info I could get. I was disheartened by all the negativity about NIN from people who seemed to be just dissing for the sake of dissing. I started formulating all sorts of responses trying to speak to these people, looking for the magic words that would get through to them. But then I remembered a lesson I learned from Hov:

A wise man told me don't argue with fools,
Cause people from a distance can't tell who is who.

That said, here's what I have to say to anyone, regardless of their feelings about NIN in general, the show they saw, their frustrations about not seeing any of these shows, what have you:

Regardless of what music you listen to, what shows you go to, I truly and sincerely hope that EVERYONE gets to experience music in a way that invigorates them the way this show invigorated me.

THAT is what it should be all about. The rest is just noise.

Posted by John | August 27, 2009 2:12 AM

Well, I don't care how big NIN are, for 65 bucks a ticket, the least I expect is to SEE the show. And no, I'm not a midget, I'm sure half of the venue had some sort of problem trying to see the stage.

But I don't blame NIN.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:12 AM

To the anonymous poster at 12:44... Just wondering if you were there in 1990 when Nine Inch Nails got their first real tour opening up for Peter Murphy at his request or is that too long ago for you? I'm sorry, but I was a Murphy fan and thought he was a genius before I ever heard about Trent. It was such a treat and an honor to witness them together on stage having fun and showing everyone a connection and what influenced Trent to create music and perform it us. This is almost as ridiculous as seeing NIN play with Bowie and watching half the crowd walk out of the stadium as soon as Trent left the stage. I thought being a fan and listening to NIN took a degree of intelligence and an appreciation for a little musical history, but I guess that really doesn't apply to some of us.

Posted by antoine poncelet | August 27, 2009 2:14 AM

Ouch! "Midget" is SO un-PC!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:14 AM

A wise man told me don't argue with fools,
Cause people from a distance can't tell who is who.

THAT is what it should be all about. The rest is just noise.

Posted by John | August 27, 2009 2:17 AM

and I also thought that the sound was 100% better on tuesday. tonight was triple the volume - and it did not sound as good.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:19 AM

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:26 AM

antoine/2:14

couldn't agree more. extremely well said.
just wish i coulda been there either way.

(12:44 seems to have vanished, as is typical)

Posted by pj | August 27, 2009 2:26 AM

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:37 AM

something i can never have

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:50 AM

piggy (nothing can stop me now)

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 3:00 AM

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 3:14 AM

shedding the skin

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 4:00 AM

the sound was great except for about half of dead souls, where it was crackling pretty bad. but they fixed it and it sounded great again.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 7:12 AM

was this the last show? last post on this wanker music?

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:00 AM

If you didn't like the show, it just means you weren't close enough to the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:18 AM

"The crowd seemed completely wilted tonight by the heat."

What? There were two moshpits and crowdsurfers happening at the same time almost two hours into the show. Maybe wilted by the side and back but certainly not near the riotous main space.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:22 AM

Does anyone have a video of that asshole trying to stagedive but instead he did a faceplant into the rail. Funniest shit ever.

Pussy.

Who brought the wall?

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:24 AM

Some of you people really love complaining. While I would have loved to have seen a few more rarities in place of songs that seem to appear in every set, I loved the show for what it was and am glad that I got to go - period.

Posted by Funderburgh | August 27, 2009 8:29 AM

Opinions:
*Not oversold, just sold out
*Amazing setlist from start to finish
*Peter Murphy is like a godfather to goth and even first wave alternative music here in the US. Great seeing Trent bring him in
*Terminal 5 isn't a bad venue but they could've give us old geezers a little AC (Not a complaint, just a note)
*They didn't play Bela Lugosi but it was nice to see Peter do a few verses of it.
*Instead of crying like babies we should all be happy that we got to see a great show.
*And what the F is wrong the people that don't wear ear plugs at shows

Posted by JP | August 27, 2009 8:34 AM

Worst venue ever

Posted by comic book guy | August 27, 2009 8:52 AM

Take a look at this review of Night 1 of NIN at Terminal 5 www.salvatorebono.blogspot.com

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:53 AM

also, Mew were incredible last night as well

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:57 AM

Amen 2:12
So good its worth repeating.

Posted by clairepetrol | August 27, 2009 9:23 AM

setlist wise... this was the best of the nyc nin shows. it was amazing. hot and sweaty, yes... but it kind of added to the ambiance.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 9:39 AM

Great show but Terminal 5 really really sucks ass. This was my 4th time there and my last time. Who wants to stand in the same spot packed in like sardines for any show. Yes i was priveleged to be at this awesome show...but still i saw at least 4 people being taken out by EMTs for heat exhaustion. Plus I am 6'1" and I had a tough time seeing the stage. It would take a miracle to bring me back to a show here again. And that sucks because they get a lot of good shows here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 9:53 AM

I love how many times people keep on saying that the venue sucks. Particularly those who've been to Terminal 5 several times. Just how many times do you have to go to realize that you don't like the place? Or is it better to go, spend the money, and complain on blogs? You people have no sense of rock n' roll. Hot is the last complaint you should have at a concert... if you want air conditioned, stay home and listen on your fuckin' stereo. You people are brats.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:03 AM

^^^^^^ TRUE

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:07 AM

Bye-bye Twent! Take your 'roids like a good boy and we'll see you on your "retirement sucks" tour next year!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:10 AM

ugh, this guy again? Goddammit.

Posted by Funderburgh | August 27, 2009 10:14 AM

I hate T5 but if you come in right before the headlining band goes on you can see the stage from the side as you walk in. Was there the whole time and saw everything perfect. Sound wasnt as good and it was ball sweating hot but fuck it was an amazing show. I really hope this really isnt the last tour.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:21 AM

How touching, two has-beens like bald and pot-bellied David Bowie wannabe Murph and march of the piggy roid-boy Twent Weznor saying goodbye ... trying to create enough mystique that someone will want to see them again by 2010. Doesn't Turkish sufi Islamic mystic Murph have an album of pop toons due soonish? Can we bet that Twent will be making a guest appearance on Murph's tour? As Todd Rundgren said, "Hello, it's me...."

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:21 AM

Boy, whats with this band resurrecting 80's Goth/electron losers. Numan in London now Murphy. I was there first time round and both are best forgotten. Murphy is just a Bowie clone/fanboy and Numan is a fascist. FACT.................BTW the new Arctic Monkeys CD is a thing of beauty

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:24 AM

Mew was great loved them does anybody know what their setlist was?

Posted by kristin | August 27, 2009 10:30 AM

Peter Murphy should've sung "Cuts You Up" instead.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:31 AM

10:21, you are a cartoon villain. Please disappear.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:33 AM

I actually saw Petey boy's first solo tour (for the album with the Pere Ubu cover) and when he announced the band he left himself until last and said "......and I'm David Bowie." No shit. And he's been trying to be David Bowie ever since.

But not even David Bowie is David Bowie anymore. Heart attacks will do that to you.

Maybe Twent will play keyboards on the next Murph tour a la Bowie and Iggy Pop on "The Idiot" tour.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:35 AM

nine inch nails video twitter keeps referring to the past 2 nights shows as "webster hall". goes to show how cognizant they are of shows they play.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:40 AM

10:33 -- Twent is a roid-raged cartoon who has promised to disappear. Let's see how long that lasts.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:46 AM

Hi Trolls! Have a Twinkie and relax.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:54 AM

Like many have said, I'm not a fan of T5, but I certainly was going there for NIN. It was hot as hell and I felt disgusting - and it was totally worth it! The set list was incredible - it wasn't EVERYTHING I want to hear, but that's to be expected! The show was great and I thought the crowd was pretty well behaved for the conditions (I know I was feeling it at the end and I kept wishing to have a 6 inch growth spurt throughout the show). The show did not disappoint! Peter Murphy also has incredible stage presence. All in all, what an amazing show!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 11:08 AM

Last night was the most awesome and disgusting show I have gone to...the heat and sweat was unbearable but the music surpased all of it. I loved the setlist especially towards the end...Peter Murphy was cool hanging upsidedown but that should have been the only song he did with them. I didn't pay to see Peter Murphy act a fool. After he got down from being upsidedown he just looked like he didn't belong, trying to outshine Trent at his own show. At one point he grabbed one of the lights and shined it on the crowd, when he went to put it back it fell over and hit a secuirty guard and some fans close to the stage. The whole energy of the crowd died with him. I could sense Trent having to takeover again to leave off on a good note.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 11:34 AM

Totally agree that Murphy overstayed his welcome. It shouldnt have ended with him...he should have come out midset. The ending should have been all about Trent and NIN. And the speech Murphy gave about Trent seemed awkward...although it was sincere. The Murphy hanging upside down gimic is getting as old as Wayne Coyne in a balloon.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 11:44 AM

I LIKE MUSIC!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 11:49 AM

Terminal 5 isn't that hot. They had the A/C on the whole time for all 3,000 people in attendance. Market Hotel circa July 2008 - that's hot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 11:50 AM

FUCK ABE LINCOLN

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:02 PM

you know what i havent seen in a while?

Big League Chew

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:03 PM

wow- the 'twent' guy is really dedicating to just shitting on anything and everything good said about NIN

hey 'twent' guy, go get a job

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:09 PM

Mew? Really? Worst opener booking ever. The shooting stars in the backdrop and meowing vocals were laughable. Disgusting.

Posted by E | August 27, 2009 12:12 PM

11:50.... were you at the show? It was HOT! No two ways about it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:13 PM

I cannot believe only one person so far has mentioned that stage diving kid slipping and eating the fence. Definitely a highlight.

For all the complainers, NIN shows should be uncomfortable. It was like being in the Wish video on the cage. Last night was a taste of what it was like to see them back in the 1991-94 glory days before Closer made them too popular for their own good. Roseland is worse than T5 and their shows there back in '94 were legendary.

Am I alone in thinking last night's pits were better than Tuesday's? Down in It and Sin were amazing and made the set list just like Ruiner did the night before. NIN!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:17 PM

haven't seen this yet... peter MEHrphy

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:18 PM

By the way... nin's first show in nyc wasn't with peter murphy... it was a tiny tour and they played a place that isn't around anymore called The Rock Academy with Die Warzau opening for them. The stage was maybe 2 feet high, only about 200 people at the show... and by the end of it everyone was on stage with the band or in the scaffolding above it.

Terminal 5 show 20 years later... amazing show. Venue of course was miserably hot but if you were in the thick of it in the pit, it was just like being 18 again and you didn't care. Don't expect to go to a nin and sit.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:25 PM

Anybody know the name of the last song Mew played? That was epic, but thought the rest of their set was torture.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:31 PM

I'm with 11:50 - they DID have the AC on the whole time, and if you stepped up to the third floor where it was less crowded or out by the merch, you could tell the AC was on. Does anyone realize that 2500 people in a space, all moving around, is going to make it really hot? And that it's August... Common sense people.

Also I heard some people who were working at the door comment on how most nights, 10% of the tickets sold don't show up, but that last night, only about 1% didn't show up. That's probably why it seemed way more crowded than other shows.

Stop complaining and be excited about watching a great show!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:32 PM

WORST SHOW EVER. Peter Murphy? That's the best Trent can come up with???

Posted by Mark | August 27, 2009 12:47 PM

I want my money back.

Posted by Jill | August 27, 2009 12:49 PM

oh, so I would guess the 10 percent are tickets bought by scalpers that were not resold, for the most part. so in that case 1% no show figure is a pretty good number and shows NIN did the right thing with the way they distributed tickets, I think that maybe that should be the norm from now on.

also I hope that "twent" guy gets a horrible disease. what a pathetic loser gnome he is.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:54 PM

12:09 wrote: "Hey 'twent' guy, go get a job.

LOL. How original. NIN fans just keep confirming my already low opinion of them.

"Shut up Bowie, let TWENT sing it!"

"Duhhhh, get a job."

Like the one you have hanging around men's rest rooms, you mean? Or the one you have supplying Twent with the latest in designer steroids?

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:55 PM

IS it a requirement to have DOuble dees to be a NIN fan?
There were some of the biggest cha chas there that i've seen in a long time.
Imma gonna miss u trent! bring back the dees!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 12:57 PM

T5 wasn't any more packed than they are for any other sold out shows...although this crowd arrived WAY early, I got there at 6:30 to a 2 block long line and all the good spots were already gone when I got in at 7:15. Fortunately, I had a very nice (tall) guy who offered me his spot and I had a clear view for most of the show. Big thanks to that dude, if only other tall guys were that nice to short gals.

I feel for any band that opens at T5...do they even soundcheck openers there? Every last one of them has had an extremely shit sound mix and Mew was no exception, it made it difficult to really assess their music.

Sound was great for NIN though and they blew the roof off the place. I wasn't at the other shows so I have nothing to compare them to (although I would've loved to have gotten Ruiner) but I loved the show last night. Only thing was it was a bit odd to have ended with that Murphy mini-set, maybe they should have swapped encores - done Murphy first and then ended with the four tunes ending with Head Like A Hole, which seemed like the real apex.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:02 PM

It's obvious that Peter MEHrphy doesn't give a rat's ass about Twent Weznor and was just using this gig to try to inject some life into an increasingly dead (not "undead," either) career. He's an egomaniac who emasculated poor old Twent right on his own stage on what was supposed to be Twent's big night, and the roid boy couldn't very well slap the shit out of his own hero, now could he? Bowie would never lack the class to try to steal the spotlight from what was after all Twent's attempt to copy Bowie's "retirement" when he dumped The Spiders From Mars. And I expect Twent's retirement to last about as long as Bowie's did. So Twent was stuck with Bowie wannabe Murphy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:08 PM

To all the haters, stop bitching and be grateful to see an amazing artist like Trent Reznor. The man is a genius.

Terminal 5 does kind of suck but who cares...it's NIN and to see them is a priviledge. You don't see many good shows like the ones he put on !

I was at both Tues & Wed shows and both were stellar although I actually liked Tues a little more.

Posted by Ozzie | August 27, 2009 1:09 PM

"Is it me or do you think it's a bit strange that Trent didn't perform the final few songs of this last NY show?"

See above. Murphy took the show away from him and made it about Peter Murphy instead of NIN. You didn't know that Murphy is one of the biggesy egomaniacs in rock and roll? He sees Twent as mere acolyte.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:15 PM

12:31 - Comforting Sounds

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:16 PM

Wait for it -- Twent will be playing keys on Murphy's tour for his new album ... Twent wants to recreate the Bowie-Iggy thing from the late 1970s, when Carrot Top played keys for a rehabbed Iggy for The Idiot tour. This will allow Twent to keep some visibility while still not touring as "NIN."

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:19 PM

To the constant "Twent Roid" complainer person - Anyone who regularly reads and posts on this blog for any period of time has endured the tortures of idiotic comments. While you're still not at the level of annoyance "A Brooklyn Not Manhattan Asshole" was back in his heyday, you are damn close. Exactly HOW MUCH free time do you have on your hands to do what you're doing? Seriously...SO SAD!

Posted by blackhat | August 27, 2009 1:49 PM

12:32. You don't know what you are talking about. I was on the 3rd floor both nights. They shut the air conditioning down by the time NIN came on. The ac was never turned back on.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:51 PM

12:03 - There's a bodega on the corner of Grand & Berry that totally has Big League Chew.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:52 PM

There was only ac the whole night on night 1. not for night 2.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:52 PM

twent wezroid guy probably is A Manhattan Not Brooklyn Asshole. Where has that guy been lately? I never thought I would... but I kind of miss him.

Posted by wembley | August 27, 2009 1:53 PM

You know what I haven't seen in a long time? Popeye's Spinach, which was green Big League Chew. Totally awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 1:53 PM

"Exactly HOW MUCH free time do you have on your hands to do what you're doing? Seriously...SO SAD!"

What's wrong with free time? The rich have loads of it. It's poor suckers like you that whine about "free time" because you're likely being ground into the dirt by some asshole telling you what to do all day. I have lots of money and I do as I please. That must really piss you off. But I assure you that my remarks here take up very little of my time, though compared to most they must seem the product of great intellectual labor. And my remarks about Twent Roidner, Pete Murphy and Dave Bowie are spot on truthful anyway. You know it, which is why you are so stressed out about it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:15 PM

That NIN/Die Warzau show was not his first in NYC. The Peter Murphy tour occurred a few months before (April 1990). Also, there was a cancelled opening gig in March 1990 supporting JAMC.
The academy gig was great, one of the best shows ive been too. I still have a piece of the keyboard when everything got wrecked at the end of the show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:15 PM

Big League Chew is awesome.

Posted by wembley | August 27, 2009 2:17 PM

Is Twent Roidner really trying to become Iggy to Murphy's Bowie? That might explain the attempt to look like a muscleman. But Twent needs to tone down the carbs a bit to look like Iggy. And get a hair weave (ditto Murphy on the hair weave).

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:24 PM

@2:15

I remember wanting to go to that JAMC/NIN show, but not being allowed to (i was young). Are you saying that whole show was cancelled or just the NIN support slot?

Nearly 20 years later, I'd love to hear I didn't actually miss it after all.

Posted by Paul | August 27, 2009 2:31 PM

Jill @ 12:49 -- "who did you expect? David Bowie? It's Nine Inch Nails! A has-been hack band if I ever saw one!

I want my money back"

The Downward Spiral was released in what, 1994? His last great album? Yikes. Peter Murphy's Deep was 1995. Yikes. These two need each other!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:32 PM

@2:31

I think NIN opened other dates for them(JAMC). The show was at the Ritz (formerly Studio 54). I had tickets but the show was cancelled the night of because of sound issues. I did not get to see NIN open up for Peter Murphy, but I did see them at the Academy in July 1990 and again at the Academy in Jan 1991. The 1st academy show was nuts...everybody bum rushing the stage. My friend was hanging from the lighting rig. Good Stuff.

Also, NINs first show in NYC was actually opening for Skinny Puppy in 1989(?)

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:42 PM

Holden Caulfield @ 2:15- It's music. Trent is past his prime; no one is disputing this. Your "spot-on" comments are pissing people off not because you're exposing their hero for a fraud, but because you're shallow, obnoxious and completely missing the point despite your apparent literacy and basic intelligence. You probably get off on this, so I'm not going to fan the flames any further. But know that anyone taking offense to your trolling is primarily just sad that someone like you exists.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 2:43 PM

What was crazy ass Peter Murphy's speech about? Please tell me.....you said it was awkward.

Posted by Josie | August 27, 2009 3:07 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 3:20 PM

Pete Murphy: "Please remember that I have a new album coming up shortly, and uh, oh yeah, Twent Wezner, he's a great guy, he's going to be a great keyboardist for my tour. Remember Bowie and Iggy back in 1977? Dave just kept his head down and played piano and Iggy was the star. Our plan is very similar. Twent is even going to lend me some creatine for that Iggy-esque physique."

Posted by Christiane F. | August 27, 2009 3:26 PM

Really??^^ That's what he said?? Murphy is weird as fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 3:29 PM

2:43 wrote: "Holden Caulfield, know that anyone taking offense to your trolling is primarily just sad that someone like you exists."

That's cool, because I hate Salinger anyway. And I'm sort of sad that NIN fans exist, but I won't let it ruin my day.

Posted by Christiane F. | August 27, 2009 3:32 PM

"Peter Murphy is pennyless and destroyed his career a long time ago. That's just a fact."

'Fraid so. He'd hang upside down in your living room and sing "Stigmata Martyr" for a meal and a warm place to sleep. He's so egotistical that he's alienated the entire music business -- and he STILL had to overdo it when Twent had him onstage, no doubt creating more bad vibes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 3:35 PM

Posted by Matt | August 27, 2009 3:40 PM

I doubt he's even close to pennyless. He just did that sold out World Tour with Bauhaus 2 or 3 years ago, plus a solid paycheck from the big Coachella gig.

But yes, he is an egomaniac - no doubt.

Posted by AntoninArtaud | August 27, 2009 3:42 PM

that andreaurbanfox bird is all over this thread, isn't she? when will she and trolls like her realize that they do nothing to slander their object of obsession, but instead paint a picture of just how sick and obsessed they really are?

(probably when we stop responding to them)

Posted by f.t. | August 27, 2009 5:17 PM

Doubtful AndreaUrbanFox is on here given that she is currently obsessing over her pregnancy and laughing at NIN Trolls that are dumb enough to go on her site.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 7:15 PM

Who is AndreaUrbanFox?

Posted by Christiane F. | August 27, 2009 8:01 PM

No one of any importance outside of her own little Twitter-verse. It's best not to bother your brain with thoughts of her.

Posted by anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:39 PM

Does anybody else think that mew sort of sounds like radiohead? i thought they were great!

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:55 PM

THERE WILL BE A CANDLE LIGHT VIGIL TONIGHT TO MOURN THE SENSELESS MURDER OF MARY JO KOPECHNE (AND HER UNBORN CHILD) ... COME CELIBRATE THE LIFE OF A TRUE AMERICAN HERO AND CONTRIBUTOR ... THIS FRIDAY, CORNER OF 57TH AND BROADWAY, 10 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 8:57 PM

it was the most amazing show ever....i almost passed out cause of the heat...but i saw an epic show. nin and peter murphy.
there are no words to explain....im so lucky//

Posted by shannon | August 27, 2009 9:14 PM

video of the nin light guy rocking out to march of the pigs

and sin

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2009 1:18 AM

wow.
seeing nin for the "last time" tonight. high hopes with all i've heard here.
downward spiral start to finish! god damn! wish i could see that.
i probably will not be able to expiriance the "bela lugosis dead" "final solution" finish with peter murphy either. so im praying for the "(everyday is) halloween" finish with al jourgensen finish. fingers crossed.
peter or no peter, al or no al, im just excited to see nin tonight at the aragon.

Posted by cory | August 28, 2009 6:54 AM

"Im sad NIN fans exist too. It really is the demise of the music industry that sheople buy into this fake-Goth fuck."

Matt (and Christiane F), do the world a favor and go fuck yourselves. You don't have a clue how influential Reznor is. You both in your own pathetic existences aren't worthy to co-habitate with Reznor or his fans.

Why don't you go up there and accomplish what this ONE man did....change music forever...

What a bunch of fucking douches !

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2009 2:57 PM

Stop supporting this garbage. It's shit half assed ripped off music. Reunion tour in six months and all of you will still go acting like every show is amazing. Suckers with Macs the lot of you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2009 4:13 PM

Twent Weznor has been asleep at the wheel since around 1994 ... and he stole most of his best moves from Skinny Puppy anyway. I like Peter Murphy and Bauhaus but Weznor is just using him because Bowie won't get involved, obviously. Bowie used Trent when it was to his advantage, but now that it isn't, see ya, Twent! Gotta hand it to Bowie, he's a cold customer.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2009 4:38 PM

Trent Reznor is a hateful and mentally ill man. His music is targeted to alienated kids. His poor excuse for music is depressing and whiney music. Since his music never sold as many cds as Prince, Reznor’s jealousy causes him to strike out at Prince. I never found NIN’s music as being very creative. In fact, on PHM there is a song that is almost exactly a Skinny Puppy song! Reznor is a talentless putz.

Posted by wheresyourgrip | August 30, 2009 5:04 PM

The Downward Spiral is the worst album ever released. The rest of his career has been self-indulgent drivel. I wasn’t even aware Trent was still alive, let alone made records. He still seems very angry and out of touch. I can’t say anything positive about his last 4 albums Reznor is a fucking flock of seagulls little bitch and a douchebag.

Posted by Aaron | August 30, 2009 6:15 PM

this article doesn’t shed light on the fact that he told the haters to basically kill themselves and thinks they’re all fat and ugly. and he’s walking away from any criticism, knowing he and his fiance started the whole thing.

he can dish it out but he can’t take it.

he’s become a manipulative hypocritical hollywood cliche.

Posted by JW | August 30, 2009 8:10 PM

Aaron, if you weren't aware he was still making music, how, may I ask, do you know his last four records are bad?

Posted by Frank | September 1, 2009 11:41 AM