Posted in music on August 12, 2009

James Doolittle

During the recording sessions, Whore was discarded as a potential album title, after Oliver changed the cover artwork idea to a monkey and halo cover. Francis later explained his rationale for the move: "I thought people were going to think I was some kind of anti-Catholic or that I'd been raised Catholic and trying to get into this Catholic naughty-boy stuff. [...] A monkey with a halo, calling it Whore - that would bring all kinds of shit that wouldn't be true. So I said I'd change the title." Francis then named the album Doolittle, from the "Mr. Grieves" lyric "Pray for a man in the middle / One that talks like Doolittle." This was in the tradition of previous Pixies albums; both Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa used song lyrics for the album title. [Wiki]
Tickets for the upcoming Pixies' "Doolittle" shows at Hammerstein Ballroom go on "Internet Presale" and "Live Nation presale" Thursday at 10am. The passwords, and a selection of Doolittle videos, below...

"LIVE NATION" PASSWORD: swing

"INTERNET PRESALE" PASSWORD: doolittle

thanks for the password

Posted by grape | August 12, 2009 2:11 PM

tv on the radio should stick to pixies covers.

BIZOINK!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:19 PM

$46 plus fees for the cheapest tix?!

no thank you

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:30 PM

hey man..Black Franics gotta feed his family...and his face

"$46 plus fees for the cheapest tix?!"

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:32 PM

"$46 plus fees for the cheapest tix?!

no thank you"

Really? That seems about right for the PIXIES! So, thank YOU for making it easier for me to grab tickets. Your loss.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:33 PM

When the proletariat rises again...everyone will watch free Pixies concerts while they munch on bread and imbibe vodka!

Long live the proletariat.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:35 PM

sheeeeet! i remember seeing them for $5 back in Boston in '89. eff this noise.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:40 PM

i am so fucking sick and tired of reading these comments by FUCKING CHEAP HIPSTER ASSHOLES!!!!!

$46 to see the pixies is too "rich" for you?

you don't deserve to see the pixies or any other band of worth you cheap piece of shit!

i hope all future concert tix start at $100 to keep the ignorant riff raff who try and QUANTIFY the cost of genius OUT.

these same faux socialists would've balked at paying 5 gilder to see mozart back in the day.

please, JUST GO AWAY!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:43 PM

^lol

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:48 PM

sweet gilder ref

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:49 PM

The Award for "Douche of the Day" goes to....

.... drum roll please ....

Anon 2:43!!!!

There is no gift to go along with this award... but your sense of self-satisfaction should be gift enough!

Posted by wembley | August 12, 2009 2:53 PM

Buy me a soda?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:56 PM

you should be able to afford your own soda.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:00 PM

i don't understand commentary about the cost of the tix for the show?

i actually shit coins & piss rolled up $20's so if you want to complain about the $$$, either get in touch & i will show you how I plant the $20's from my dick & grow little bushes that flower in $100's - small ones, but still legal tender... and after coming out of my pee-hole, thank god those $20's are tender...

oh, yeah, & i think anon 2:43 should start a cult...

Posted by gnipgnop | August 12, 2009 3:07 PM

I hope my mom's check clears in time so I can afford tickets.

Trust Fund Kid for Life!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:10 PM

afraid not, wemehbly. YOU sir, are the douchebag. i guess mycomment hit a little to close to home...close to the bone. you can call me a bone machine.

and anon 2:40? better check a calendar (and your head). it is presently 2009 (not 1989).

and you NEVER paid $5 to see the pixies then because i saw them frequently back in the day. tix 20 years ago were in the $10-$15 range.

you and wemehbly can both go away (and stay away).

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:11 PM

apparently gnipgnop is off his/her meds.

someone call 911.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:19 PM

$46 is not that much to see a band of that caliber HOWEVER the first reunion shows were not that good. Saw three shows (2 at Hammerstein and 1 the Narrows fest) and all the shows were OK at best. The "new" Pixies are not worth $46 + fees.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:20 PM

3:11 - then you saw them at the wrong venues. Orpheum theater show was $15 back in '89. Club shows, like Citi, however, were cheaper. But thanks for correcting my own memory of my own experiences, since you obviously know them better than I do. doofus.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:24 PM

I wouldn't pay more than $30 to see this, or the equivalent in gilders, if anyone cares.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:25 PM

good to see the entire tour is already up for sale on stubhub

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:27 PM

I am just curious to know where this password is coming from

Posted by j | August 12, 2009 3:43 PM

Consdiering Ticketmaster fees typically run from 25% to 45% of face value these days, these tickets will actually cost $60-$90 apiece by the time Ticketmaster's huge, unlubricated dick is removed from your quivering little hipster assholes. Have fun, douchebags.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:58 PM

LMFAO at 3:58! Swish!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 4:08 PM

Does anyone remember when they played the Hammerstein for five nights a few years ago, were the shows instant sellouts?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 4:09 PM

i am so fucking sick and tired of paying these ticket fees to FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!!!

$46 (+fees) to see the pixies is too "rich" for me!

you don't deserve to see my money or any one else's you cheap pieces of shit!

i hope all future concert tix start at $1 to keep the ignorant riff raff who try and SELL the tickets OUT of business.

these same capitalists would've charged 5 gilder to see mozart back in the day.

please, JUST GO AWAY!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 4:18 PM

definitely were not sold out.

i went to one of 'em. Santiago's Gretsch had the harshest squealing tone...and he kept looking at the sound guy like, "really?"

i dunno...i'd pay that much to see them in a more personal setting...

like in my room.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 4:22 PM

Guilders? Really? Try Ducats. Was funny though.

Posted by craig | August 12, 2009 4:32 PM

I thought that the Hammerstein shows were damn good! I'm expecting them to be on point this time around too. Either way, I have no problems with having to pay $46+ to see the PIXIES.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 4:51 PM

If I had never seen the pixies, I would consider the ticket price steep but worth it. But at $60 (with ticketmaster fees) I cannot justify seeing them again.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 4:57 PM

funny response above, anon 2:43. nice. I guess having money doesn't make you any less angry, does it?

This is an expensive show. No two ways about it.

But if you'd rather blow that much money on a reunion show... you'd be a lot better off buy tickets off of stubhub for the Sunny Day Real Estate show next month. Those guys are incapable of putting on a show that is less than amazing.

Or how about Dinosaur Jr playing for FREE on Sunday? They have been playing the best shows of their careers over the past few years.

Pixies reunions have been pretty much ho-hum. And very expensive to boot. They could really give two shits about their fans. And really, "Doolittle" isn't THAT great of an album. I get nostalgic about it every now and then, but it really doesn't hold up all that well. Even the first couple Breeders albums are far superior.

Posted by wembley | August 12, 2009 5:11 PM

"And really, "Doolittle" isn't THAT great of an album."

Funniest comment yet!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 5:27 PM

we're all supposed to like Surfer Rosa more. Come on hipsters, "doolittle" is a little too mainstream and overrated. get with the Brooklyn program!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 5:55 PM

I love that somehow being self-aware enough to not want to blow $46 (which is about 16 bucks past the point of a reasonable price for a rock show unless its at MSG or something of equal size) is "being a hipster"

That's a lot of fucking money. Worth is relative and based on nostalgia and the market, yes, but for this price you could've saw the Glow in the Dark tour or some other ridiculous spectacle in a stadium. I've seen awesome shows for anywhere from free to $30 and this is lame.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 6:06 PM

"Even the first couple Breeders albums are far superior."

LOL!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 6:49 PM

The shows at Hammerstein were OK? Bitch about the prices (which are not that bad) but don't fucking lie people. I STILL listen to the cd of the show I was at.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 7:06 PM

Meh-xies

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 7:08 PM

I saw the Hammerstein show were Mission of Burma opened up. MoB were amazing but the Pixies just went through the motions.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 7:16 PM

"I get nostalgic about it every now and then, but it really doesn't hold up all that well. Even the first couple Breeders albums are far superior."

what steps does a person take in life to come to an opinion so utterly wrong? did your mother have poisonous goop drizzle from her milk sacs?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 8:06 PM

The only bad thing going on here is that there isn't a picture of Eddie Murphy in a fat suit topping this post. Sherman's gonna have relations!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 8:16 PM

...and yes, I know Sherman Klump wasn't in Dr.Doolittle, but Nutty Professor. Any pic of Eddie Murphy is worth posting!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 8:20 PM

Fucking crybaby cheapskates with a sense of entitlement need to realize that it's the 21st century, gas is about $3, a decent burger is $10, and concert tickets are rarely $25 and under, but by all means keep bitching about prices, and better yet, use that as an excuse to avoid buying tickets and giving suckers like me a better shot to land tickets. Pixies had no trouble selling tickets in '04 and will have no trouble this year, regardless of whether you deign to buy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 10:06 PM

10:06 is living off his parents' money

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:31 AM

anyone who thinks $46 is a lot of money seriously needs to re-evaluate their mental health.

this is NYC - not zimbabwe.

and anyone who doubts the genius of 'doolittle' or the brilliance of the hammerstein reunion shows clearly weren't there (maybe physically, but not emotionally or mentally).

and those hammerstein shows ALL sold out, douchebags.

the pixies are in a very select group of musical groups that have had a serious impact on the world of music. if you don't understand that by now, you never will.

i am the guilder king.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 8:36 AM

You kids in your tight skinny jeans make me laugh. YOu are all too cool to see the Pixies, pleae stay home, us uncool old folks need the extra standing room

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 9:42 AM

if you can't pay $46+ a ticket please stay home and read teh craiglist job postings. This is a drop in a bucket out of my disposable income. get a job grouch!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:05 AM

OK, "swing" SOOOO isn't working.

Posted by Gwin | August 13, 2009 10:07 AM

The password is DOOLITTLE, geniuses.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:08 AM

Thank you for the password...'swing' worked for me...

Posted by LJ | August 13, 2009 10:10 AM

Actually, SWING tooooottallly worked! It was the Livenation presale...genius. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:10 AM

Swing works for the live nation presale not the ticketmaster presale..got two for tuesday..$119 total..ouch

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:10 AM

swing works as the live nation password, not the other one- just got 2 in 1st mezz for Weds

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:10 AM

Well that was easy. And swing worked fine for me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:12 AM

I take it back. "Swing" worked for the LiveNation presale.

Posted by Gwin | August 13, 2009 10:13 AM

swing works for live nation presale

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:13 AM

very easy to get tix. thanks BV!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:16 AM

swing worked fine for me. 2 floor tix for wednesday.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:17 AM

yeah, I updated post to be clear. I didn't realize there would be two separate presale boxes.

if you use the "Live Nation presale" box, then password = swing

if you use the "Internet Presale" box, then password = doolittle

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 13, 2009 10:17 AM

super easy today!! thanks so much BEEEV

Posted by christopher | August 13, 2009 10:17 AM

passaword doesnt work :(

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:18 AM

Yes of course it was easy to get tickets. And guess what you know it all's. The presale is still not sold out for any of the nights. These tickets will be going for dirt cheap the week of the show. A shitty venue and way too expensive a ticket price. Shades of Morrissey you morons.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:21 AM

Also, you are a piece of garbage, and I'm glad losers like you will waste their money to see a band 20 years past their prime because you are too boring and uncultured to have discovered any new music to listen to since you left college.

Have fun reliving old glories on the football field, you fucking loser!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:29 AM

Well this know-it-all doesn't give a fuck about waiting 'til the last minute to scrounge for allegedly available, cheaper seats like an unwashed hipster, is happy with Hammerstein, hates Morissey, and has Pixies tickets in hand already. So you'll save yourself a few bucks by waiting or not going- you want a medal for that?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:29 AM

10:29 nothing you just said defines you as a know it all thought it clearly shows you to be a jackass idiot. So congrats.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:31 AM

10:31 said from the one who types "all thought"

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:33 AM

Actually the though(t) was clearly a typo The all was part of know it all but nice try shithead. Yes you are in fact an idiot

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:36 AM

I look forward to seeing you at the show. Or not.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:38 AM

Just got floor tickets for the Nov. 25th show. I've never seen them before, so I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:44 AM

Being that its Thanksgiving week, wonder if Black Francis will show up wearing a big Turkey costume.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:50 AM

i hope people fight like this at the show.
also, WHY NO PROVIDENCE DATES???

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:54 AM

i had a great time when the pixies last played hammerstein, high energy show all the way... got to work this morning, logged on and got email from livenation, with presale password, 46 bucks for the pixies? no problem... i'll be there wednesday night with a smile on my face... a few dollars more for fees? well, if i can sit at work and buy tickets, without standing in line at nine in the morning, again, no problem... it'll be a great night out... sure the breeders rock, even the amps put on a good show and grand duchy was a good time in the sun... but, put them all together and you've got a great band...

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 10:55 AM

Hey, I got 2 floor tickets for Monday night but would actually prefer mezzanine if anyone wants to switch... email address is aubergine10003@yahoo.com.

Posted by Gwin | August 13, 2009 11:00 AM

I got two tickets for Monday. I like the album and am looking forward to seeing them for the first time. Money is not an issue as I worked really hard in college and now have a decent salary. I might go on vacation that week, in which case I'll sell them on Craigslist for face, or maybe a bit below.

So to all the haters saying that it's what, $20 too much - I have to ask, what are you going to be doing on 11/24-11/26? Counting out the $60 you saved, laying it out on your table, and staring at it all night?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:02 AM

"@ 2:43: Factoring in inflation, $5 still would have been a lot to see Mozart back then.

Have fun reliving old glories on the football field, you fucking loser!"

hey loser, you managed to pick the absolute wrong guy to paint with your haven't-listened-to-new-music-since-college paintbrush. i not only waste (spend) my money on bands with a sterling 20-year track record THE PIXIES), but i also see current bands in the same genius category - i.e. ARCTIC MONKEYS at highline ballroom (and summerstage, and hammerstein, and roseland, etc.)

wait, let me guess, arctic monkeys are shit also, right? obviously they are becasue they aren't from brooklyn or sweden.

go home and listen to your clapyourhandssayyeahfieryfurnacesyeahyeahyeahsjayretardetc.etc.etc.

cheap, pretentious, ignorant hipsters MUST be defeated.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:06 AM

^^

you also forgot animalcollectivegrizzlybeardearhunterviviangirlsdirtyprojectors

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:24 AM

Dude, you are digging your hole deeper. Yes, the Arctic Monkeys suck. But so do all those other "hipster" bands you list as well.

Assholes like you that take to message boards to rail against hipsters are more tired than the neon wayfarers that intimidate you so much. What about kids having fun bothers you so much? Are you like that guy that shot all those women at the fitness club? Are you going to be skulking around at the back of Hammerstein Ballroom, looking at teenage girls' butts in skinny jeans and seething with lust and rage?

You are coming to a blog that posts about new and up-and-coming bands, and then you get irritated that people are going to get enthusiastic about them? Stick to Rolling Stone, then. I'm sure they'll let you know when the Arctic Monkeys have a new record coming out.

Don't be ashamed of your money. Don't be ashamed of your limited music knowledge. Don't let it make you so bitter.

Who hurt you? Who did this to you?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:24 AM

Its Not your Fault

Its Not your Fault

Its Not your Fault

Its Not your Fault

Fuck you dont say that

Its Not your Fault
Its Not your Fault
Its Not your Fault
Its Not your Fault

Hug and cry...

and scene.

Posted by Bob_Roberts | August 13, 2009 11:31 AM

haha I wouldn't even admit anonymously that I am an Arctic Monkeys fan. absolute garbage music. You're old, deal with it.

Posted by JT | August 13, 2009 11:31 AM

using the three words "artic" "monkeys" and "genius" in the same sentence is without a doubt the funniest thing i've ever read on BV. Bravo. I hope that other people realize your sarcasm. it was sarcasm, right?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:35 AM

anyone who is NOT an arctic monkeys fan clearly know NOTHING about music. yeah, i'm old, but don't need to scout out teens at shows. and i've never read rolling stone, but i was weaned on the teat of the NME back in the day. and the village voice when it WAS a voice.

got a wife who's hipper than any of you losers will ever be, know more about music than you ever will and have experienced more in this world than you can ever hope to.

i'm happy bringing my grandkids to see legends such as elvis costello and playing them great music such as the pixies, arctic monkeys, spoon, franz ferdinand, radiohead, etc.

with any luck you loser hipsters won't breed and this particularly ugly gene pool will disappear.

arctic monkeys suck? that would be incredibly funny if it wasn't so myopically sad.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:44 AM

The reunion shows at Hammerstein in 2004 were terrible. I've never seen a band look so bored playing their songs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:54 AM

i know enough about music to have been a paid music critic back when people had to be knowledgeable before spouting off and causing people like you to actually spend money to read what we had to say.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:56 AM

oh yes, and i know enough, as does my 5-year old son, to know that the arctic monkeys are not geniuses.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 11:59 AM

11:54 yes, clearly they sucked in 2004, as evinced by all the gushing reviews posted on this very site

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:04 PM

I saw them at the narrows show and the songs were tight and spot on like they had been practicing and playing a very long time on a reunion tour. The band members themselves just stand there. I saw them in 1992 and they just stood there but the crowd was straight out of a Nirvana video. I guess you have to go to a Jonas Brothers show today to get that vibe back.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:09 PM

I don't get it. If you're happily aged and mature and have a lovely wife, then why are you taking to internet message boards to bitch about hipsters? I can understand some light-hearted ribbing at the expense of some the kids that go all out, with the full-on feathers and headbands and super skinny jeans and sunglasses indoors, but there have always been kids like that. And again, they are just KIDS. trying to have FUN. Why does it bother you so much? Please please please explain.

And maybe the NME thing is your problem. The NME fell to shit about ten years ago, bandwagonning every mediocre teenage pop act that puts out a single, desperate to fuel another Britpop scene, or even find another Strokes. Let that corpse rot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:18 PM

Ah yes..the pre-MEH days

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:20 PM

this comment thread is getting ridiculous.

PIXIES are gods, if any band is worth $50 it's probably them. and we don't even know the openers yet (which were insane last time around).

just shut the hell up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:27 PM

finally i get to agree with one of these challenged posters (poseurs?). NME does suck. i was referring to when they didn't (25-30 years ago).

i realize that precedes your birth, but it was quite relevant back in the day.

and hey, failed music critic - i hope you're not really touting that at some sort of badge of honor. opinions are like assholes, remember....

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 12:38 PM

now you've gone and hurt my feelings. all i was saying is that i feel bad for your poor, world-weary wife.

Posted by failed music critic | August 13, 2009 1:38 PM

Wow..pre-sale tickets are still available..maybe I made a rush to judgement in buying tickets now thinking these shows would be a tough ticket to get.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 1:43 PM

i read this fine blog to find out information about events i am interested in. this 40-something year old (but feels 30-something) doesn't just start mocking and critiquing 'hipsters' without reason.

i respond to the endless posts (and i've been reading BV for at least 3 years or more - when the hell did gang of four first reform and play irving plaza? - that's when i discovered BV)from fucking whiny complaining cheap kids who obviously know the value of NOTHING and seem to want everything free (or damn near).

EVERY time a show is going on sale, the same cadre of losers start complaining about the prices. and i'm not talking about tix that cost hundreds of dollars (u(seless)2, neil young, etc.) but tickets that average $50.

anyone unwilling (i didn't say unable) to spend that on a band like the pixies really has no business going to concerts.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:08 PM

Thank you for the presale codes.

I was sick in 1992 when they opened for, I believe, Neil Young in Portland, ME. Of course we know what happened shortly thereafter. $60 ain't great, but it's peanuts to turn back the clock and reright a wrong...

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:14 PM

actually, this cheapness shouldn't come as such a surprise (and a source of frustration for rational posters such as myself). sorry to disappoint anon 11:24, but i'm not angry, nobody did anything to me and violence is anathema to me (the comparison w/the gym shooter was pretty funny, though).

these cheap cpmplainers are the same generation that download music for free and consider it an entitlement. whether you realize it or not, that's part of the reason ticket prices have risen.

bands aren't making the money from CD sales so now they tour endlessly and try and make a buck from that revenue stream.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:14 PM

yeah, I meant Sonic Youth, but the thought's the same.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:25 PM

i like the pixies! i want to see them live! i'd rather spend some cash on these shows than, say, seeing the opera or going to a play or eating a super fancy meal. i just don't understand why i'm hated on and judged for this?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:25 PM

people are so defensive.
i hope the vivian girls open every show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 2:26 PM

I'M NOT DEFENSIVE YOU HIPSTER I'M GOING TO KICK ALL OF YOUR ASSES I'VE GOT A WIFE

Anyway, thanks for the presale code, never got to see them live so it should be fun.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 3:45 PM

there's still a good chance the shows will sell out in a few days. NY is huge and Pixies sold out 7 shows last time around.

i bought an extra ticket by accident and ticketbastard wont let me exchange it for the first show- i have three tickets to the third. anyone wanna trade - email me at skatealex2@gmail.com

otherwise i will have to ebay it once the shows sell out

cheers!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 4:11 PM

2:14, you make a valid point. I don't take issue with the price of the ticket. Personally, I do think there are plenty of better shows to see, with bands still in their prime, for a far cheaper ticket, and there are even other bands of that stature and caliber who are choosing to charge only 25 or so for their tickets. But if the Pixies can get it, then why not charge it? In fact, The New Yorker just had an article that argued that it is in the artists' best interest to charge market value, as it discourages scalping, so maybe they're doing it for our own best interest!

My argument, as most arguments on BV devolve into, is with any of the jaded folks that come on here and start bitching about hipsters. If you had a valid point, you cheapened it by crying "hipster." Not sure if you're the same poster as the NME/awesome wife guy, but that person's original post was the typical, bitter people-having-more-fun-than-me-are-idiots bullshit that this site and most of the internet is rife with. There are countless valid criticisms of what the current 20-something generation is about, and certainly of the Bedford/Williamsburg area in particular, but the way it is often addressed on here is often cheap and lazy.

I feel silly about getting into anonymous flame wars on a message board about it, seriously, but someone has to think of the children. Can't someone think of the children?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 4:26 PM

I'm thinking of the children, actually my child. Taking him to his first show, and giving him the next day off from school.

Posted by 1967tr4a | August 13, 2009 5:28 PM

good point(s) anon 4.26. perhaps the word 'hipster' is thrown around too readily. really i mean the whiny complaining cheap 20-somethings that seem to want everything for nothing (the napster generation!). hey, maybe we exchange the word 'napster' for 'hipster' in these situations?

i'm not aginst those younger than me having fun - in any fashion they like. as long as it doesn't infringe on me (endlessly talking and/or texting during gigs, cellphone cameras held aloft during entire show, simulating fornication while drunk and dry-bumping me whilst i'm just trying to have a good time at a show ('specially since i don't get to as many as i used to).

anyway, I'M certainly thinking of the children.

peace out.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 6:53 PM

Id pay ten bucks. on a slow week. other than that, meh.

Crystal Castles, Dan Deacon and MGMT are my favorite bands.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 7:24 PM

Crystal Castles, Dan Deacon and MGMT suck.

my point made.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 8:06 AM

Well I just bought a ticket. My brain is going "holy jesus I'm going to see the Pixies" on a loop.

Posted by thefatpunk | August 14, 2009 10:30 AM

did the ticket come with a time machine included? you nostalgia guys make me laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 10:57 AM

That "napster" term is actually a pretty good idea.

And the phenomenon of all the cell phone pictures at concerts is both irritating and kind of depressing too, watching this generation's almost pathological need to document its every moment of existence, as if there is some sort of fear that if it doesn't make it to Facebook, it didnt really happen.

But I can't promise I won't dry-hump you at the next concert I go. That act is timeless.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 11:28 AM

Pixies are not that big to command this amount of money. Even if I was rich I wouldn't bother paying for this shit when I could see 5 or 6 BETTER shows for that price.

Fucking white people.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:59 PM

seats suck at hammerstein unless you are in the first row or two, any further back and the sound is muddbutt. get there early.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 3:02 PM

@ 10:21

Looks like the first show is completely sold out already. I guess those tickets won't be going for dirt cheap the week of the show!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 3:22 PM

You people are so cheap and whiny I can't take it. If you're upset about what shit costs now, just remind yourself that it is 2009 and what you paid to see the Pixies in 1992 (or even 2004, who knows) is different than what you're going to pay now, period. You should be making more $ than you did 5 years ago anyway.

On top of that, if you think it doesn't cost the bands/artists more from one tour to the next in order to rent out a venue and put on a show then your head is pretty far up your ass and I suggest you get that checked out sooner than later. Are some shows still grossly overpriced? Of course - so you can either sit and bitch on this site about it or make yourself a lifestyle that affords you the disposable income to set your bar of what you'll pay for shit a little bit higher. I remember when gas was 91 cents/gallon too, but I've also probably spent between upwards of $3000 on tickets in the past year and I'm not bitching about it because I've accepted the fact that going to shit like this COSTS MONEY.

Posted by Funderburgh | August 14, 2009 4:00 PM

"I guess those tickets won't be going for dirt cheap the week of the show!"

Unless a show sells out immediately and is in the near future, then you can always get in for cheap the week of show. A sold out show in November? Below face for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:10 PM

"A sold out show in November? Below face for sure."

The concept of supply and demand makes this sound highly unlikely to me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:20 PM

I have to be honest and say i really enjoy reading all the clueless shitheads making comments on here. Priceless. The reason the Pixies original reunion shows at Hammerstein were so in demand was because they were playing for the first time in years. Since then they have played so much it is not as desired.
The ticket price(60 with fees) is too high partly because the venue is shitty, bad sounding and non intimate. Unless you are right up front (where the sound still is not great) Hammerstein is not known for it's sound. I know to many of you fools that means nothing and things like beer availability is more important.
Notice how NIN is charging around the same pric for their shows at much smaller better sounding venues(Bowery and Webster) and no one complained about that price. Notice further how the show they are playing at the biggest and shittiest venue on this tour, Terminal 5, the ticket price is less than the other 2.
Finally to 4:20 and the others who think these tickets will not be going for far less than face the week of the show are truly know nothings. Scalpers are gobbling up these tickets as they do most of these big shows. Let's all note this thread and come back it to the week of the show and see who the fucking morons are. When there are masses of ticket dumps that week on Craigslist for this show, I hope those like 4:20 will admit they are just plain stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:37 PM

"The concept of supply and demand makes this sound highly unlikely to me."

It's really not that hard to figure out. Maybe you should put down the bong.

The show is more than 3 months away. People get excited. Buy tickets. Three months from now they realize they can't go. They try to sell their tickets. Other people realize they can't go either. The farther away in time the concert is, the more people's plans change. All of a sudden, so many people are trying to sell tickets. Prices go down. People get desperate.

Not every show is sold out, so there is no incentive to buy at face value from a stranger. Prices go down further.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:39 PM

This tour is still the first they've played in the US in years. It's just their first in 4 years instead of their first in 12 years. And someone who does not understand basic economics clearly never went to college. Just plain stupid, indeed.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:43 PM

@ 4:39

you're talking about maybe 1-2% of the resale market TOPS with the "something came up" crowd who just want their money back or to not get stuck holding wasted tickets that they paid full price for and are willing to sell at a loss.

Posted by Funderburgh | August 14, 2009 5:39 PM

@ 4:39

If the first show sold out in hours, why would you assume the other two won't do the same?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 5:52 PM

I must say: I came here looking to see if anyone had extra tickets to sell, and I find instead this smarminess about whether or not a person is entitled to feel that $46 dollars (before fees) is a lot of money to them or not.

I do love The Pixies, and I was crushed when I wasn't able to come up with the money in time for the sale. I can tell you right now that the tickets weren't only snapped up by fans: there are a lot of scalpers out there trying to rook people for hundreds and hundreds of dollars. This is why the shows sold out so quickly, apparently.

I had a woman off craigslist claiming that she got "stuck with two extra" tickets (this soon, yeah right) but even as I was arranging with her to meet up and pay her the $65 that she swears is all that she paid, she went ahead and sold my ticket for higher to somebody else.

I was willing to pay the $65 even though it cost me my grocery money because I wanted to see The Pixies that badly. I am a single working mother, here. The bulk of my income goes to rent. I don't know where you people get off with your attitude that good fans like myself deserve to be priced out of shows simply because we don't have your level of "disposable income" during a recession.

It's that attitude that got Marie Antoinette murdered.

Posted by Deborah J. Draisin | August 27, 2009 10:01 AM

Deborah..If you can hold off till closer to showtime, I'm sure you'll be able to find a ticket for less then face.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2009 10:10 AM