Posted in music | pictures on August 17, 2009

photos by Chris La Putt

Walkmen

"The show opened with Saviors, a heavy metal band out of California... there wasn't anything too original about this band. The second act was The Walkmen, an indie-rock band from NYC. They played mostly new music, saying they'd be recording these new songs this week. It was good, but once again, nothing original and nothing I'd pay to see. Dinosaur Jr. came on around 5:45pm with the sun still blazing away, which made taking pictures a bit difficult. Dinosaur Jr. formed in 1984 and is a band that many consider to be one of the grandfathers of alternative rock." [soundZtastee]
Nothing original?! Granfathers?! Ouch! Dinosaur Jr. pictures and setlist HERE. Saviours and Walkmen below...

Saviours...

The Walkmen...

Walkmen

Dinosaur Jr. pictures and setlist HERE.

walkmen setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 6:41 PM

in his defense, saviours are pretty unoriginal

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 7:28 PM

I still thought the saviours rocked it out pretty hard.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 7:40 PM

Yeah, natural light makes photography so difficult.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 8:03 PM

saviours do their thing and they do it well.
good enough metal for me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 8:31 PM

Saviours were indeed good and pretty tight. Not the biggest Metal fan but I can appreciate it when it is good.

Walkmen were good for what they were. Tight band with good lead singer but I walked around during their set as I was there for Dinosaur Jr.

Was really hot and I thought I walk out of the place so I could lie down on the grass outside. When I tried to get back in, I saw a line of about 200 people waiting to get in (the place was packed) and decided to skip it. Seen Dino many times (by the way they are opening up for Sonic Youth at the shittest venue in NYC, T5 in November)so it didn't kill me. The other acts for free was fine.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 9:11 PM

whoever wrote that review must have smoked crack before the show... the walkmen sounded very original, put on an amazing set, and their new material sounded awesome. I am really looking forward to their next album.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 10:01 PM

everyone who pretended to like me is gone
bows + arrows
a hundred miles off
you & me

CLASSICS! who is with me? ive listened to these albums for years and could listen to them for many more. i love this band to death.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 10:01 PM

WHO CARES THE WALKMEN SUCK

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 10:03 PM

I'm with you on this, Anonymous 10:01.

Posted by Regular reader | August 17, 2009 10:37 PM

it was HOT out there- we made it through Saviours which was a mix of Sabbath meets Metallica- You gotta give it to that drummer for playing hard like that in the heat. so hot, super crowded- we bailed and I bought the new Dinosaur Jr album at Best Buy on way home- album is great!

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 11:03 PM

Sunday @ Summerstage was the first time I've ever heard the Walkmen. What a fucking waste of time and space. An over-emoting vocalist with absolutely no character in his voice; songs that try to be melodic but fail miserably (not one memorable melodic line during the entire set); and the blandest, most unimaginative arrangements ever.

Good vocals, memorable melodies, interesting playing/sound/arrangements -- a rock band must have at least two of the three to be good, one of the three to be passable. The Walkmen have none.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 11:05 PM

it was HOT.

the WALKMEN are FUCKING AWSOME.

YEAH.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 11:41 PM

"walkmen setlist?"

They were awesome. There was no setlist, they played the same song for about an hour. Sometime horns would come out and play, but other than that, it was the same song over and over again.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 11:44 PM

you "hot" people are a bunch of hot pussies.

Jesus I just made myself horny.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 12:03 AM

I agree, The Walkmen do suck. 100% boring! SAVIOURS ROCKED! and of course Dino Jr. slayed!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 12:34 AM

Saviours are beyond fucking awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 12:56 AM

way to quote a blog that has literally NO clue about music at all, BV. not saying she's necessarily wrong about any of the bands, but why in the world would you quote at length someone who clearly has no ability to talk intelligently about music?

also, The Walkmen ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 1:32 AM

so why is Brooklyn Vegan wasting a lot of time and space quoting a blog that doesn't put out any effort to actually cover an event? The photos on soundZtastee must have been taken with an iPhone. I understand there is a lot to cover in this city but really.... put yo' back into it!

I want to lend my voice to the absolutely pointless, "Walkmen: Suck or Rule" debate.

They rule.

As for leaving a free Dinosaur Jr. show on a beautiful day to go buy the record at Best Buy... really?

Posted by nate | August 18, 2009 1:40 AM

Walkmen were good to say the least. I think the debate should be are they better than the National or not (similar sound and compositions). I give a slight edge to Walkmen.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 1:57 AM

To the insipid ignoramous who stated I smoked crack because I stated that the band was tight and the lead singer was decent, please explain to me how the Walkmen are original? Are you kidding? Do you even want to get into who they were influenced by and sound like? Original? You would not know who is original if it hit you in the ass.

They are a good band-but lets not make them into the second coming of something they are not.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 7:16 AM

The Walkmen ruled! Those who didn't like them either have no soul or loads of earwax! :)

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 7:52 AM

Who or what are The Walkmen the second coming of? Apparently they are influenced by some band, or a lot of bands to a large extent. These are serious inquiries, as I like The Walkmen and have been trying to pinpoint who they may sound like (I guess they are similar to the French Kicks in their abundance of reverb) and who they may be heavily influenced by. I have not been able to come up with any concrete answers.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 8:56 AM

gotta wonder about the readers of this blog if they thought Saviours were anything beyond adequate and the Walkmen anything less than amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 8:58 AM

Nice picks.

Posted by san | August 18, 2009 9:38 AM

the walkmen - good looking band

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 9:39 AM

what is it for a comment (August 17, 2009 11:05 PM) you can delete this s..t.
tahts not very intelligent

Posted by Viola Versicherung | August 18, 2009 9:41 AM

hey anon 8:58. gotta wonder about someone who writes really dumb comments on message boards. i bet you got to the show early for walkman . . . your wimpy little indie ears couldn't handle the pure greatness that was saviours who were gracing the stage . . . sat through an awfully generic, and mediocre walkmen show (almost cried when they played 'the rat') . . . then left before dino jr came on because you were scared of j's marshall's. go over to p'fork and catch up on your top singles of the decade.

Posted by teddy pendergrass | August 18, 2009 10:01 AM

I didn't like the Saviors, stayed for the Walkmen and left before Dinosaur Jr. big deal! Everyone has individual taste get over it. BTW I am not 858 anon...Also it was my 8 time seeing the Walkmen and can't wait for the next one!

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 10:09 AM

Awesome picks - Thank you!

Posted by brooklyn injury attorney | August 18, 2009 10:24 AM

BTW my indie ears handled My Bloody Valentine live so they can handle the wimpy Saviors who sounded like a whisper in comparison...

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 10:24 AM

anon 10:24. there is a decibel cap at Summerstage which is WELL BELOW the volume required by MBV. but congrats nonetheless on being able to say that. everyone here on BV is impressed and your kids will be proud.

Posted by teddy pendergrass | August 18, 2009 10:30 AM

I'm amazed... shocked... flabbergasted that anyone thinks the Walkmen are a good (let alone great) band. I'd say they're the living incarnation of mediocrity, but that would be too generous.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 10:31 AM

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 10:35 AM

Ah yes. Another day, another post with dozens of vicious comments from self-hating hipsters.

Posted by Regular reader | August 18, 2009 10:53 AM

Saviours are amazing, poor man's High on Fire, but great regardless, and kudos to Dino for having them. Walkmen are good too, don't know why people can't like a good metal band and a good indie band? And Dino rules of course!

Posted by brian roach | August 18, 2009 10:56 AM

Walkmen sound like a grandmother's version of Arcade Fire.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 11:03 AM

"10:31 what bands are good bands to you? I can't wait to laugh at the mediocre bands you like!"

Is Guided by Voices good enough for you?

(If not, then well, I pity you...)

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 11:03 AM

Any version of Arcade Fire is great to me!

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 11:04 AM

11:03 Guided By Voices is very overrated. I have Bee Thousand and Saw them on the Isolation Drill tour...average band at best. I like the Walkmen better.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 11:13 AM

11:03 I pity you for liking hipster bands that have disbanded long time ago and are still hanging on to your nostaligic past!

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 11:16 AM

Did anyone notice - why wear long sleeve shirts in summer and then roll up the sleeves? Just wear short sleeves....

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 11:29 AM

Hey Nate,

It's not the easiest to take pictures when you're working at the show. It would have been nice to be right in front of the stage to get pretty pictures for you, but alas, life doesn't always work out that way.

Posted by soundztastee | August 18, 2009 11:57 AM

oh, the loafers. hamilton leithauser is my 80s-prep-school-james-spader-in-linen-pants erotic fantasy come to life. but that haircut? not his friend.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 1:43 PM

I liked the walkmen. I hated the saviors. I hated reading all these comments.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 1:53 PM

I pity people who think art has a shelf life.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 3:54 PM

"Guided By Voices is very overrated. I have Bee Thousand and Saw them on the Isolation Drill tour...average band at best. I like the Walkmen better."

Soo.. I respect everyone's right to an opinion and stuff but you couldn't be more wrong! And why the hell would anyone leave BEFORE Dinosaur Jr!?!?!

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 5:41 PM

I left because it was too hot, the Walkmen played too long, and I have seen Dino Jr. many times.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 6:10 PM

That chick sitting down during Saviours=FAIL

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 6:10 PM

The Walkmen definitely do not suck. Now Dinosaur JR. sucks a big one. Boring. I wish a meteor would hit and make them extinct...again.

Posted by Jackwad | August 19, 2009 1:51 AM

Is it me, or do the Walkmen remind me of a totally tame, totally safe Birthday Party?

Posted by Regular reader | August 19, 2009 11:31 PM

I really like the Walkmen too.

Posted by Regular reader | August 19, 2009 11:32 PM