Posted in music on August 14, 2009

Beirut @ Sound Fix (more by Kelly Bruce)Beirut

It's been a memorable five years on Bedford Avenue, hasn't it? Raise your hand if you were there on our opening night when the Mountain Goats performed. Now we're getting ready to pack our things and move, and frankly, we'd rather you buy everything than haul it one block away, so we're going to say goodbye to our Bedford store this weekend with a special 10% sale on all CDs and LPs that are not already sale-priced. The sale starts Saturday. We're also going to be selling a ton of CDs at wholesale prices, so be sure to snatch them up too.

After Sunday, we close for two weeks and re-open at our new space at 44 Berry Street, on the corner of N. 11th. Thanks to all our wonderful customers for your loyal support over the years and we look forward to continuing to serve you at our new store.

Wow. 10%

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:50 PM

hey 4:50- dont be a dick

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 6:57 PM

Wow. 10%

Now that sales tax is nearly 9%, that's a whopping 1% savings on already over priced stuff. 4:50 PM

Yes correct to say the least. This person is not being a dick. The owner at that store can be pretty rude sometimes. I had a rare Pixies record in great condition and they offered me a dollar.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 7:03 PM

ten percent off is not much of a sale especially if they preface it by saying they'd rather everyone buy everything than have to move it one block.

At ten percent off I think they'll be moving a lot of stuff to their new store, rather then moving it out for sale.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 7:23 PM

ten PISS cent aint enuf!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 7:41 PM

i agree as well. i do not think any of these comments are dick-ish, if you will. 10% is an extremely small discount, and especially if they're specifically saying that it's only on regular priced cds/lps (i mean come on guys, if you are really trying to show appreciation for your customers, you can definitely afford at least a 15% discount and STILL make a profit).
and yes, for the most part Sound Fix is extremely overpriced (though, not NEARLY as bad as Ear Wax) and the staff can be very rude (and that's on the record store employee scale, not just your average joe scale) all of that being said, i do like Sound Fix... and it's just good to still see indie record stores (or fuck that, record stores in general) still open.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 2:38 AM

it is sad to say that the folks at the virgin megastore were always very polite and eager to help.... so, keep it up you tightwad, pretentious, hipster scum at Soundfix! Move on up while the corporate record stores with customer service all go out of business. Who needs customer service when we can buy over priced records from people who look down at all of us?! Keep it up until someone figures out how to print vinyls on their macs......

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 3:15 AM

As far as people at the store being dicks, this is something I have never experienced. I am a regular at Sound Fix. I have never had any of the staff be rude to me, nor have I seen them be rude to anyone else. I am not trying to say that it doesn't happen. It would be naive to think the staff at a record store in Williamsburg wouldn't be dicks to people. I am only saying that I have never seen it. To their credit, even though I haven't made a purchase there in months due to no longer having the job I once had, they never stopped being polite and friendly with me, despite not being somebody who drops any money there.

Posted by Jordan | August 15, 2009 3:39 AM

I agree with 3:39 am. Other than Easy Street or Sonic Boom in Seattle, I've never been to a cheaper record store. In NYC of all places...

Posted by Travis | August 15, 2009 8:11 AM

dude, the whole fucking Bedford Ave is overpriced! Every single bar and store there.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 9:07 AM

The employees aren't rude, but they are a bunch of pervs. I was buying some stuff there last summer and the guy behind the counter asked for my phone number. I told him no. I have a boyfriend. He then said stuff like"whatevs, I'll be putting my hand in your pants and making youfeel so fine later tonight" and "you're making me sooo hard" etc etc. I'm a normal guy, not some himbo. I don't know why he thought it was appropriate to be such a weirdo to me. Oh well. The Vivian girls album I bought that day is awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 12:05 PM

the owner is the worst person on earth. so unpleasant. and not to mention creepy to girls.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 12:29 PM

that's pretty slanderous allegations there anonymous people.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 12:35 PM

Yer mom gets off on being slandered.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 12:40 PM

"People complain about Sound Fix being overpriced, but I have yet to find this imaginary gem of a cheap record store. Sound Fix isn't overpriced. Records and CDs are overpriced."

Just go to Permanent Records in Greenpoint. Everyone who works there is awesome and they have to most fair prices around. You can pick up Sonic Youth's new LP for like 25 buck instead of the 40 bucks every other place is charging.

Posted by Philip | August 15, 2009 1:06 PM

I'm a girl, and the sound fix people have always been sweet to me, not creepy---

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 1:38 PM

other music > soundfix

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 1:49 PM

Imaginary gem of a cheap record store?

Try Academy right in the neighborhood. Used CD's are very cheap there.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 2:43 PM

yeah, all 30 of them.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 3:06 PM

academy is awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 3:34 PM

academy

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 3:54 PM

Sound Fix is a clubhouse, not a record store. They don't support local labels . . . it's a place to hang out, hear a bad comedy act, grab a cup of coffee. The owner has no interest in talking about music. Trust me. I've tried to strike up a dialogue. He was too busy looking over my shoulder . . .

Go to Academy. Go to Other. Hell, even go to Ear Wax.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 4:01 PM

Sound Fix...sucks. And, yeah, the employees are total dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 6:32 PM

Wow. Ten percent. That's tremendous! Just superb! I wonder if the owner will throw in an extra lecherous stare with that?

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 8:19 PM

when will apple figure out how to download files from i-tunes and print them to vinyl from an epson?

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 9:19 PM

my problem with sound fix was always that the store always seemed horribly laid out... so much empty floor space that could be devoted to stocking records worth buying. why do they stock so many damn cd's anyway.. really who is buying those things still? no one i know in that hood...

and yes, not the most inviting staff

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 12:50 AM

Those dudes selling records and books down on bedford and n6th have better selection/attitude/prices than this place.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 1:07 AM

ahhhhh. hipsters on bedford ave. cool indie rockers

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2009 9:59 AM

I'm an old married lady now, but back in my younger years if I wanted to date a new guy, all I had to do was walk into a record store and I'd instantly meet people. What do you young'uns do now that you don't go to the record store all the time? Or do you still go, and do you go specifically for this purpose? I'm just curious... a word of warning: Things can get complicated if you date, like, three employees from the same store.

Posted by brooklynrekkid | August 18, 2009 9:46 AM

Did you end up marrying one of your record store beaus? Probably not...I suspect you found a more "sensible" gentleman. I guess now to meet people I could try to send emails to customer service reps at iTunes, but it probably wouldn't spark any romance

Posted by RecordStoreRomeo | August 18, 2009 10:24 AM

there's no such thing as a "rare Pixies record in great condition," sorry.

I like this store and buy stuff there. I have no idea if they're nice people or not since I rarely go to a record store to make new friends and my scrawny white ass couldn't get a lecherous stare from a mirror.

I like Permanent and Academy too. remember Eat? what the fuck happened there? sad.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 11:06 AM

Wow, 10% off non-discounted CDs and LPs. Thanks for the spam in my RSS feed brooklynvegan. Any good deals at Best Buy I should know about while we're on the subject?

Posted by Justin La.Liberty | August 18, 2009 12:39 PM