Posted in comedy | music | tour dates on August 25, 2009

Steve Martin @ Rubin Museum in May (more by Ryan Muir)
Steve Martin

Years ago, in my old comedy act, I said, "You just can't play a sad song on the banjo." This was for comic effect only, because I knew the banjo had a capacity for mournful melodies and the "high, lonesome sound." As I was sometimes mournful, sometimes lonesome, and sometimes high, this suited me perfectly. I also found myself passionately affected by the banjo's driving staccato, darting rhythm, and inexplicable sadness. It was as though the banjo generated nostalgia for experiences I never had, joy I was yet to experience, and melancholy that was yet to come. [Steve Martin - Liner notes to "The Crow"]
The above is a selection from the liner notes for Steve Martin's first all-music album, The Crow: New Songs for the 5-String Banjo, which came out in May. A few weeks after its release, Martin performed with the Steep Canyon Rangers in a two-night run at the Rubin Museum. He'll be back this October, as part of a fall North American tour, with opening act Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys and the Steep Canyon Rangers again behind him. They play Carnegie Hall on October 6th (tix on sale) and NJ's Wellmont Theatre on October 14th (no ticket info yet).

All tour dates are below...

Steve Martin - 2009 Tour Dates
9/29: Los Angeles, CA // Largo at the Coronet
10/3: San Francisco, CA // Speedway Meadows- Golden Gate Park //Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
10/6: New York, NY // Carnegie Hall
11/5: Napa, CA // Napa Valley Opera House
* All shows w/ Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys

I always enjoyed The Steve Martin Dance by EPMD

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 2:42 PM

What, no MHOW?

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 2:47 PM

be pompous, obese and eat cactus
be dull and boring and omnipresent
criticize things you don't know about
be oblong and have your knees removed

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 2:51 PM

Steve MEHtin

Well Excuse MEH

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 2:57 PM

^^ Fuck off moron ^^

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 4:20 PM

Where's Bela Fleck at a time like this?

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2009 4:26 PM

Saw Steve at the ClubNokia earlier this year. It was his first full length show in 25 years and it was quite possibly the best singular experience of my life.

I wish I could see him at Largo, that's gonna be insane (Largo only has 280 seats)

Steve is such a brilliant musician, and his sense of humor is second to none. All I can say is go.

Posted by Allan Steiner | August 25, 2009 4:30 PM

Carnegie and Wellmont both sound great, I hope I can make this if it's not too pricey.

Posted by Matt | August 26, 2009 1:26 AM

I heard Daft Punk is opening...what time do they go on?

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2009 2:43 AM

Who gives a fuck about Steve Martin and his banjo? He's an actor/comedian. A washed up actor/comedian at that....I mean look at the shit he's been in. last decent film he was in was Three Amigos all the way back in 1986....like I said washed up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2009 10:12 AM

Obviously, you've never seen Cheaper By the Dozen.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2009 6:34 PM

Steve Martin does obviously love the Banjo, he can also play the Banjo and knows what Bluegrass sounds like. But looking at the schedule he's playin some weird places...California, Chicago, NJ,??? maybe they're playin the "Southern" parts of those cities??

Steve, if you're gonna get in the mix...play where it began, where it's understood and appreciated...get some cow dung on your boots in an obscure pasture at some local festival if you want to hear some good talent and fit in.

Posted by Norm | September 29, 2009 7:21 AM

Hey, Anonymous Coward above.....the guy who said "who gives a ---k about Steve Martin and his banjo".....Got news for you pal. Everybody who has been to his concerts raves about them. This is just another dimension to his immense talents.
As far as being "washed up"? During the time he's been touring with his banjo, he was also making a movie with Meryll Streep coming out this December. Stay tuned, you imbecilic cretin!

Posted by Pickin'critic | October 2, 2009 11:45 AM

I love your site and the article is useful!

Posted by luis vuitton | October 17, 2009 1:09 PM

We saw Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers at the Paramount Theater in Denver and LOVED the show.

Posted by slm | November 4, 2009 1:42 PM

very good topic

Posted by erotik shop | November 13, 2009 4:19 AM

Anyone who has to use profane language to try and make a point doesn't really impress me. I just consider the source -- and their lack of intelligence and good manners.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 12:14 PM

Hoping to see Steve play in Chico,CA 10-2-10 with my daughter. Anybody know for sure if this tour has much comedy to it? I guess if Louden Wainright III can be so funny...I guess Steve wouldn't stop performing comedically just because this is a seriously musical time for him...?

Posted by jonathan | July 27, 2010 12:18 AM

Dear person;
I am sorry for the people who can't injoy and respect the incredible beauty and joy that Steve Martin and others, are so kind too share with US.
Their time is Precious and We should be thankful
That they are willing to share that commodity with us. Come on mr.Anonymous join up.

Posted by Nick Thayne | February 19, 2012 5:20 PM