Posted in industry | music on August 31, 2009

NY Times

Once infamous -- and in many places illegal -- the reselling of tickets for profit has gone mainstream. Accelerated by the Internet and changes in state laws across the country, it is now a multibillion-dollar business serving consumers who want that last-minute ticket to Taylor Swift or "Wicked."

"The days of scalping sounding like drug dealing in a dark alley are gone," said Randy Phillips, chief executive of AEG Live, whose deal for Michael Jackson's 50-night engagement in London included a partnership with a ticket reseller. "It's all aboveboard. It's very transparent now." [NY Times]

The above picture by Dominic Bugatto accompanied the Times article. Transparent maybe, any less horrible?

hello 3 weeks after the New Yorker published a story on this.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 1:49 PM

fuck scalpers, you guys can go fuck yourselves, i have never bought from you and never plan on it

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 1:52 PM

I got two extra tickets to see a reunited Pavement in a dumpster on 34th & 8th Ave. $250 each. Will accept interesting trade offers.

Posted by @ 1:52pm | August 31, 2009 1:59 PM

fukin economy, ugh

At least up and coming bands are still cheap

Posted by TXn | August 31, 2009 2:07 PM

I love scalpers..why..because I always get good deals outside a concert when they are desperate. I have bought from scalpers numerous times. Each time I used scalpers I pay 50% of face. Thanks guys!

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 2:11 PM

Agree with anon @ 2:11. There are very few shows where you can't get a scalped ticket for less than face these days. Politicians trying to regulate scalping are fighting an old war.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 2:42 PM

I heard that Pavement dumpster show was going to be a hard ticket to get...

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 2:44 PM

2:11 is right -- If you know how to bargain, you can get really cheap seats to some shows. I've seen Morrissey, Tool, Death Cab and more for $10 or less just by showing up outside of Hammerstein or whereever and and knowing how to haggle.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 3:11 PM

if you've ever made a profit reselling tix, go fuck yourself. thank you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 3:20 PM

Following the footsteps of 1:52PM aka 3:20PM, I'd like to say, if you've ever made a profit in life selling anything, fuck you. Hooray for losers!

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 4:00 PM

Thanks to Brooklyn Vegan, I'm able to make 700 dollars a month on scalped tickets.
Thanks Dude. Cobralegs for life!

Posted by Scalper Joe | August 31, 2009 4:03 PM

I'm totally cool with scalpers..They are providing a service to those who are in need of tickets cause shows have sold out. What's not to like?

Posted by Scalper Snobbery | August 31, 2009 4:09 PM

With rare exception I don't know how they consistently make $ anymore. I've tried to offload tickets I could no longer use on Craigslist a handful of times over the last several months and on a few occasions I've gotten face value (or slightly better) but on others I've taken a complete bath and sometimes eaten them entirely. Just seems like regular prices have gotten so high for big-name concerts that enough of them are having a hard enough time selling at regular price, let alone aftermarket prices.

Posted by Funderburgh | August 31, 2009 4:12 PM

i like nitrus

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 4:14 PM

times article on LEED was awful and really dated. they referenced a LEED building that began construction 10 years ago! come on nyt!

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 4:15 PM

I laughed at 4:03.... ha

Posted by jason | August 31, 2009 4:20 PM

One thing the article fails to mention is how much the scalping business has been affected by the economy. People don't have the disposable income they used to have. I too have been getting great last minute deals thanks to scalpers. However if you only go to small venue shows and the most you pay for a show is around $15, they might not be of much use to you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 4:21 PM

I paid a scalper $259 for a ticket to see a Michael Jackson birthday party celebration, then I found out that noise was all free! haha j/k

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 4:57 PM

from the article:

"For her tour that begins next month Ms. Cyrus is using paperless ticketing, which requires buyers to have photo identification to be admitted. (In an article on TicketNews.com, Mr. Vaccaro [a ticket reselling/brokering/scalping maven] was quoted as calling this “a career-ending situation” for Ms. Cyrus.)"

He also admits "box-office managers getting cash payoffs, primary ticket outlets selling their tickets directly to brokers, managers selling their tickets to brokers" was normal business before scalping went legit, and implies that it continues still.

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2009 5:07 PM

I hope anyone who is bragging about paying scalpers understand they are giving money to straight up thieves. I've been to enough concerts to see them run off with money, give fake tickets, get into massive brawls. Why keep feeding them. Shoot there is one nutjob who is always outside of Webster Hall, he fights people left and right and security does shit about it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2009 4:35 AM