Posted in music | pictures on August 12, 2009

photos by Bao Nguyen

"anyone else at TV on the Radio show last night? Great time...except for having to sit my large pregnant ass on woodchips for several hours." - ChowMamaStacie

TV on the Radio

Chin Chin, Gang Gang Dance, and TV on the Radio played a show at the Prospect Park Bandshell in Brooklyn last night (8/11). For TVOTR, it was the second time they headlined the Park Slope stage, though this time wasn't free. They also played a not-free show at Central Park Summerstage earlier this summer. Speaking of not free, Bao had some trouble getting through the Prospect Park gates, so unfortunately no pictures of the openers, but the rest of the shots of the headliner, and a video, are below....

setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 10:45 AM

They rocked so hard!
Amazing night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 10:51 AM

More proof why Celebrate Brooklyn is the best concert series in New York. The best lineups, sound and vibe. Stage looked amazing last night too.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 10:56 AM

How do you walk around in life with a beard like that? Seriously must itch like a bitch!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 10:58 AM

Everyone should read this loser's rant:

Waaaaa! I am entitled to a free show! Waaaaaa! Not fair!

Posted by Cheese and Whine | August 12, 2009 10:59 AM

Show was good. I was pretty far back but the sound was still great. Set was under an hour though, which was somewhat dissapointing.

Thought the Central Park show was better, even with the rain.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 11:06 AM

any gang gang dance or chin chin pics? thanks

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 11:17 AM

READ:

"Bao had some trouble getting through the Prospect Park gates, so unfortunately no pictures of the openers, but the rest of the shots of the headliner, and a video, are below...."

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 11:19 AM

I really like TVOTR and was looking forward to this show. Great night, great people, great everything except for the most important aspect... the sound. I'm not going to throw the house sound people under the bus on this one. Their rig sounded just fine and was capable of producing a rocking show, db restrictions included. But the dude driving it needs to quit his night job. Overdriven bass drum and rhythm guitar gets old really fast. It's the mixing version of putting duct tape on a leaky pipe. That band deserves a better FOH engineer... and looking over there, he looked like he was having a blast. I'm glad he pleased himself but when my financial analyst friend turns to me and says, "what's wrong with the sound?", you must REALLY be screwing it up. All the pieces were there for a slamming performance... I'll be sure to check before I hear them again.

Killer event and organization though. Keep it up C.B.!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 11:32 AM

Solid show. The sound at the bandshell seems improved since last year.

Beer selection is crap though.

Posted by drewo | August 12, 2009 11:36 AM

Anonymous: setlist?

Ditto, that'd be great...anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 11:38 AM

Whine, whine, whine. You made the choice to get knocked up. You made the choice to go to a show. Should there be a special knocked up lady section where there are seats? Ugh, I am so sick of hipster sanctimommies bitching about everything not being perfect for them. It's a fucking rock show.

Posted by Vera | August 12, 2009 11:42 AM

no idea about setlist but they played at least 3 off young liars ep:

young liars (early on in set)
staring at the sun (mid set)
satellite (part of 3 song encore)

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 11:51 AM

Damn, this band is on an iconic level for me after this show.... Stunningly good.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 12:01 PM

Band was great. Kip Malone's Pete Townshend kicks worth price of admission. Set was an hour and fifteen minutes, actually, but still seemed short. Have to say, the opening bands did not represent. Or maybe Brooklyn's gotten that wussy.

Posted by erik | August 12, 2009 12:02 PM

the sound was good? Maybe it was were I was standing, but I thought the mix was pretty terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 12:05 PM

i thought the show was solid last night, but a bit short.

compared to the TVOTHR performance at the Roots Picnic in June in Philly, last night was subpar.

the lighting was weak and i honestly didn't think it was loud enough. normally that's never a problem, but i was standing about 20 feet back stage left.

i also think they were tired from their summer tour combined with the extreme humidity last night.

with all that said, i still enjoyed the show.

Posted by jkov | August 12, 2009 12:07 PM

PAULA!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 12:09 PM

good show, but central park show was way better. i agree that the sound wasn't ideal for many songs...some came of amazing though.

and i'm sorry to say it, but i don't know what anybody saw in gang gang dance...is this just brooklyn drinkin the koolaid or what? they were boring, sounded bad, and just droned on and on and on...it kind of reminded me of yo la tengo, but with a singer that sounded like madonna sucking helium...zzzz...zzzz.zzzz

great show nonetheless...lots of energy and decent sound.

Posted by bill | August 12, 2009 12:10 PM

Aaaaaannnnnddddd.... you're a moron. Go crawl back into that empty PBR can-strewn hipster hellhole you call an existence (must be somewhere in New Jersey). So b/c someone's pregnant, they should be quarantined for the rest of their life? Anti-breeder douchebag...

"Halfway Home" was amazing, though.

Posted by Rego Park Hipster Hater | August 12, 2009 12:10 PM

amazing show. sounded a lot better than their show at summerstage in june

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 12:13 PM

Whoa. The set was 1:15? Including the encores, right? Anyway yeah it seemed short when they first walked off - I remember checking my phone and seeing 9:50. It flew by.

That said the last poster seems right- with the insane humidity it was tough. I made a b line out of the crowd after a few songs - felt like I was gasping for air.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 12:15 PM

Good show but it should have been louder, or at least turn the bass up

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 12:18 PM

"amazing show. sounded a lot better than their show at summerstage in june"

Obviously you were not at that Summerstage show. Much Much better than last night both in performance and sound

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 12:24 PM

Seems clear from the comments that the sound quality varies greatly at the bandshell depending on where you're standing.

Personally I thought the Central Park show had better sound, but they both were great - especially after that show at the Masonic Temple.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 12:30 PM

Ha. "Anti-breeder douchebags" are not going to win over any fans in Park Slope baby stroller central.

The show last night was alright. It seems like they are heavily produced in the studio so there's a lot of effort necessary to reproduce that which they simply can't as a live act. Tunde should either get more back up singers (like the girl from Celebration who helped flesh out many of the songs when she was on stage) or even sing over a (gasp) a backing track to further enhance his somewhat limited live vocal range. The high notes just weren't there. The whistling was off (he's no Andrew Bird) and even when he tried to do a rocker growl, the result was middling at best.

Love their records, just wish their live gig was up to par.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 12:36 PM

Does TVOTR still have a bass player and drummer, or is it all electronics now?

Posted by Regular reader | August 12, 2009 12:37 PM

I agree, I thought the Central Park show was much tighter and sounded better. Great show all the same though.

Posted by splask | August 12, 2009 12:38 PM

Dancing Choose
Blues From Down Here
Staring at the Sun

DLZ
The Method
Satellite

There were a few others, too. Great show!

Posted by Dan | August 12, 2009 12:59 PM

Don't quote me on this one but here is what I got....Katrina Ford from Celebration joined them on tracks and the horns were definitely rocking.

1) Shout me Out
11) Dancing Choose
12) DLZ
Encore
13) Family Tree
14) A Method
15) Satellite

Short, but nonetheless a good show...volume could have been louder but oh well.

Personally thought Central Park was surely better but that is what you get with people willing to endure a downpour (it weeds out the real fans from those that are there cause a buddy recommend they check them out).

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 1:03 PM

Great pics of a great concert. Chin Chin and Gang Gang Dance were pleasant surprises.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 1:23 PM

bao is the man. love his pics.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 1:56 PM

Agree. Great pics!

Posted by joly | August 12, 2009 2:23 PM

"Love their records, just wish their live gig was up to par."

I couldn't agree more. Their records are so damn good. But seriously, when they played songs off "Desperate Youth" last night they sounded like a mediocre punk band.

You can't be all electronic in the studio and then suddenly all guitar rock n' roll live.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:39 PM

I sat right next to the soundboard.... sorry guys the sound was not good. First of all the drums were not at all on the first two songs.. he must've had them off or something. Then there was no bass.
Really it's an engineers thing not the venue. I've never heard a good mix from TVOTR live. All vocals and everything else is mush. The band kind of sounds the same from song to song... it's a good formula but live it sounds like one long song to me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 2:54 PM

The sound was rough. It took 7 or 8
songs before the drums became part of
the mix in any meaningful way. Any
bass or synth bass content was muddy
for the whole show. The kick and snare were
happening by the 7th or 8th song but that
was it. Softer songs and songs with
slower tempos sounded better. For lo-
fi vibes to translate you still need
hi-fi finesse and ears. I love when the
two of them sang together in softer
songs. That was when what is great
about what they do worked. A bad mix
can subvert a band's potential to be
"iconic." The mix for the DR.Dog show
there was really strong comparatively.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 3:14 PM

I agree the sound was mostly bad and unfortunately it seems like its been a mess at a LOT of their shows for a while now. two songs sound perfect and the rest of the show is a muddy stew. Whats going on? can it be fixed?

Posted by bryn | August 12, 2009 3:41 PM

I thought the show was awesome and it was better than central park simply for the fact that it wasn't pouring out and I could see the stage (no umbrellas blocking the view). The sound was good enough, and I thought the band put on a great performance. If any of you saw them at the Masonic Temple, I think you'd agree this was a huge step up in sound quality from that night. I think you just have to accept that some bands sound very produced and just like the album in concert (radiohead at all points west for example) and some bands have a different, edgier sound live, like TVOTR. I think sometimes it is better that the live performance does not sound just like the album.

Posted by Purdman Jr. | August 12, 2009 4:22 PM

kyp cannot sing. i dont get it
can't fix that!

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 5:52 PM

This was the third time seeing these guys in the past year.(Roots Picnic & Masonic) All three times the sound was lousy. They should really do something about it. I thought they played fine last night but in this day and age it should not take 5-6 songs to get the sound straightened out. Too bad. It could have been a great show instead of a good one. Gang Gang Dance on the other hand were awful. Their cd's are ok but that singer was terrible. She sounded out of tune on every song.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 11:51 PM

anyone know if this was recorded? link?

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 11:55 PM

Kyp sounded great last night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2009 11:57 PM

this is what the actual set list said

shout me out
dlz

family tree
new health rock
method

sattelite
love dog

damn it they were suppose to close with love dog
stupid curfew
love the ecstasy driven lead singer from chin chin he was hilarious and could put on a efing good show
beside the part were he went peter frampton and decided to screw his keyboard

i would get him to play at my wedding

Posted by nou | August 13, 2009 1:09 AM

Kyp can't sing? He sings all the time. Maybe you don't like his voice,thats an OPINION. HE can also write songs and play an instrument too.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2009 9:57 AM

Great pics. Honestly Bao/BV are putting up some of the highest quality concert pictures anywhere.

Sound is ALWAYS terrible at the Brooklyn bandshell. One reason I'd never pay to see a show there again.

I can't believe people are saying TVOTR are not a good live band. IMO one of the best. I've never gone to one of their shows and not been impressed or had a good time... They've also come a long way from what they originally started out as. Saw them on SAT at Lolla and they killed it.

Posted by BTW | August 13, 2009 10:07 AM

Here is the exact setlist they played:

Shout Me Out
-------------
Family Tree
A Method
Satellite

Full review on my blog this evening. http://the3penguins.blogspot.com

Posted by Ray | August 13, 2009 10:08 AM

I flew in from Portland, OR to see this show and it was well worth it to me. sure some of the Desperate Youth material seemed a bit rough, and I'd LOVE it if the electro stuff was kept intact, but I actually like when material is reworked for the live show to keep things fresh. The recorded versions are still there to enjoy, and the show was still amazing.

Posted by benjy | August 13, 2009 5:37 PM

who was the girl singing (but i couldn't hear her voice) sometime during the concert?

Posted by Chiara | August 17, 2009 5:51 AM