Posted in music | pictures on August 14, 2009

photos by Bao Nguyen

Yeasayer

"After some detective work on my new gadget phone, I deduced that I was actually thirty blocks away from [Pier 54 / Hudson River Park]. I cursed myself for being overly confident with my bearings (having only been in the city for about a month) and dashed towards the nearest train station. I made it just in time to walk by a girl dressed for an 80's prom being written up by cops for having a pipe. It was one of those wooden dugouts with the sliding top. She was in tears and the only line I overheard was a sobbing, "Paraphernalia is illegal?" I chortled and took the sequined dress as a sign that I was close.

The world was back on my side. When I arrived at the pier, it was easy to mosey up to the front of the stage. I was amused by six girls in a braiding circle, twining different colored threads together to pass the time. It reminded me of that episode of Saved By The Bell, where the gang starts up a business of crafting friendship bracelets. A horrible band called Amazing Baby went on, but a kid plowing his way through the crowd made it worthwhile. Onlookers stood still in disgust of bad music, and there was this guy jumping on backs and throwing elbows. Everyone was too passive to do anything, and even I just danced mockingly beside him. Security, however, was kind enough to jump the guardrails and escort the mosher out." [BreakThru Radio]

More pictures from last night's free Yeasayer / Amazing Baby show (8/13), part of Hudson RiverRocks, below...

Yeasayer

Ted Leo played the same spot in the rain in July.

Meh-sayer and A-meh-zing baby.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:22 PM

I don't normally comment on this thing, but Amazing Baby are really nothing close to Amazing. Pretty fucking awful if you ask me. How do they get all these gigs?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:34 PM

Yeasayer was solid, great night to be outside listening to some tunes. Loved "Tightrope".

Posted by Tremags | August 14, 2009 12:37 PM

The sound for amazing baby was a shame. It wasn't offensive but it was pretty weak. They should fire their sound guy and get somebody who knows what they are doing.

Yeasayer sounded great by contrast so clearly it wasn't the fault of the sound system or Amazing Baby's top end orange guitar amps. But like whoever did the sound on Amazing Baby's drums needs to learn that a little reverb on drums is goes a long way and that making the guitars sound really thin and bright at 2k is just plain retarded.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:37 PM

"Security, however, was kind enough to jump the guardrails and escort the mosher out."

I saw that. It was a ridiculous overreaction by the security. It's a show, people dance. Someone should show security teams a live Minor Threat video prior to these events, give them a taste of how shut can really go down.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:41 PM

*shit, not shut. Whoops.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:41 PM

yeasayer were great, dug the new material. they keep getting better.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:46 PM

bc he is sleeping with the lead singer of mgmt

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:49 PM

When exactly did security escort the guy out? Because he disappeared for a while after Amazing Baby but came back half-way through Yeasayer's set.

The happy mosher was clearly intoxicated and probably didn't even know the bands who were playing - this was a free show, you know. He was simply annoying people and slamming into them. Glad he didn't find a pissed off attendee. Most people were just mocking him. This is not moshing music. Whatever.

Amazing Baby did not annoyed me or excite me. I was having a hard time placing them in my mind until they played one of their last songs with that ridiculous Hendrix-style guitar solo.

Yeasayer was good. New songs sounded promising and diverse. One had a sitar-like tone and another one like it came from the caribbean. Others were calmer and straight up synth pop-ish.

But when will bands stop that ridiculous encore game? Bleh.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:53 PM

"Someone should show security teams a live Minor Threat video prior to these events, give them a taste of how shut can really go down."

For real. The security dudes at Minor Threat shows were much more chill.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 12:58 PM

How is it that so many people hate Amazing Baby (myself included), and yet they're constantly hyped (including here)?

Worst band to get any critical attention since ever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 1:06 PM

i don't usually trash bands on here either, but seriously. Amazing Baby is just awful. Not awful in an "oh, we're so weird" way, awful in a "we're really, REALLY trying to get on a major label" awful. New Yeasayer songs were super exciting, though. They've improved 10-fold since winter.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 1:10 PM

I don't usually comment or trash bands on here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 1:26 PM

did anyone jot down the setlist by any chance?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 1:31 PM

I dont usually comment about Amazing Baby, but they are trash.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 1:53 PM

Hey you guys are mean and this is Bullshit! I'm fucking telling ... nope ... too late ... I'm telling.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 1:54 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Pier 54, but Yeasayer sounded good last night...enjoyed all the new jams they played too.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 2:21 PM

Amazing Baby is hyped because Don Devore is in the band..or at least that's why I hype them. I'm sure no one here listens to Ink & Dagger or The Icarus Line so you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Posted by JT | August 14, 2009 3:01 PM

okay, I read about it to make sure, and that kid WASN'T moshing, he was just annoying:

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 3:05 PM

don devore IS awesome...

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 3:17 PM

Amazing Baby is the worst fucking band in America

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 3:20 PM

amazing baby were really bad last night - and i wanted to take to the stage and punch the lead singer in the mouth. that's the sort of shit that makes the brooklyn scene look bad - hype through incest with no artistic credibility. Find some originality guys.

Yeasayer were fucking great though. New songs sounded awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 3:25 PM

Wow I didn't know my Amazing Baby comment would spur so much excitement and hatred. I like it. They're really fucking bad though, I hope they stop getting on all these bills.

You all should have gone to the free Blondie show though. Great fucking gig...

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 3:34 PM

well, Blank Dogs called it quits after all the bad comments, so maybe Amazing Baby will be next.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 3:49 PM

Amazing baby get so many bills because the label they are on now has unlimited funding. Although small, it is owned by Steve Bing, who, according to wikipedia, inherited 600 million dollars when he was a teenager. Anyone with money like that can get a band a ton of press and never ending tours. They are essentially a pump and dump act: something that investors hype, but has little to no substance.

Posted by Scott | August 14, 2009 4:06 PM

Yeah Amazing Baby are more of a Ponzi scheme.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:11 PM

any band thats playing shows creates their own platform. Amazing Baby has just as much of a right as any other band to play shows, if you dont like their music, dont listen to it. whining about their clothes, their trustfunds, their connections just sounds bitter and superficial. it would suck if lineups were decided by people like you who give a shit about that. music is music. no one is forcing it down your throat. after seeing them a few times, these guys seem like they have a good time when they play, the guitarists are awesome and the bassist is sick. talking shit about Amazing Baby has moved from being boring to seeming really petty and nerdy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:14 PM

It would all be well in good if only they made good music, sadly they do not.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:22 PM

If you really cannot tell that this is substanceless ingenuine music aggressively marketed towards people who don’t know any better, then you, unfortunately, are the living proof that money, marketing and style sell albums rather than good music.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:23 PM

^ I am referring to Amazing Baby of course.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2009 4:25 PM

who gives a shit if the bass player from Ink & Dagger is in Amazing Baby.

Posted by nick | August 14, 2009 5:52 PM

Amazing Baby = Scott Stapp sings U2

Posted by Michael | August 15, 2009 2:11 PM

NEWSFLASH- it's one person writing all these hate comments about Amazing Baby. AB were fantastic! They blew Yeasayer off the map, and they're the most rockin band in New York. Every great band is stalked by jealous hack musicians. I suggest you drop the jealousy and grow up. It's really pathetic and so is your band, who no one likes, and I don't see anyone insulting your band on here. Oh, that's right, you don't have any fans, why would your band be on here?

Posted by BV | August 15, 2009 2:38 PM

fAT ugly people will always hate bands like Amazing Baby. It's nothing new.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 2:46 PM

These last two comments must be Amazing baby's label trying to salvage a shitty bands sinking image.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 8:47 PM

amazing baby is trash . wtf wasa up with those chicks? i mean why even introduce some girl that isnt gonna be singing .. just going ooo ahhh on the mic .

loved YEASAYER!

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 9:51 PM

Seriously anyone who has any basic understanding of good music would never call Amazing Baby a good band. No accounting for bad taste.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 10:04 PM

Amazing Baby are everything a great band should be, except for their music, which is terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 10:19 PM

Yeasayer killed it!!!!

Could have done without Amazing Baby though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 10:20 PM

amazing baby was fantastic and hey my face is up there.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2009 10:54 PM

Don Devore is the shit. Not a fan of this amazing baby but check out his own band called The Historics.

Posted by great satan | August 17, 2009 6:25 AM

Every time you post a mean comment about Amazing Baby they shed a tear

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2009 10:04 AM

I can't take any band seriously that uses a clear guitar. (See: Amazing Baby.)

New Yeasayer jams were awesome, though, and all the old stuff was reworked, so it sounds newish all over again.

Posted by Taylor | August 17, 2009 12:43 PM

I don't understand why everybody hates on Amazing Baby so much. The album is tight and they were great at the pier. There's so much noisy mindless crap that gets overhyped...half or so of Siren's bill this year (and last) is a perfect example.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 4:02 AM

Amazing Baby make terrible music, what is not noisy and mindless about it?

Yeasayer killed it though, they are getting better and better. Amazing baby are destroying music and the brooklyn scene.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2009 12:51 PM