Posted in music | pictures on September 10, 2009

photos by Paul Birman

Boredoms

1. "just had my first BOREDOMS live moment, not far from best music experience possible" - Vincent Moon
  2. "FUCK YEAH BOREDOMS :DDDD acid police was amazing." - Ivy Liu
  3. "Boredoms 9-9-9 show was unreal/intense! Danga' dang dang. Lichens opened & couldn't have been a better fit." - Forest Juziuk
  4. "the boredoms just performed one of the most beautiful sets i've ever heard" - Luke Crawford
  5. "Boredoms = epic epic epic." - Kenya Jones
  6. "Boredoms were HOLY MOTHERFUCKIN AMAZING. Zach Hill was one of the drummers, and the guy from Soft Circle... not sure of the rest" - Anonymous
  7. "Boredoms play a set of hits with nine drum bliss..." - robbym
  8. "BTW, the Boredoms show earlier tonight was easily one of the best live shows I've ever attended. Despite the annoying crowd...- Matt Hawkins
  9. "Boadrum 9 was one of the best moments of my life" - Justin Chun"
Lichens opened. Boredoms hit the stage at 9:09 pm. 99 pictures below...

Boredoms

Two more chances to see it in NY this weekend.

9 motherfucker!

Posted by Nine 9 Nein | September 10, 2009 4:05 AM

definitely one of the best cocnerts i've ever been to. i disagree about the annoying crowd from that one "review"... i thought it was one of the more respectful crowds i've ever been in (at least where i was standing) and u could hear a pin drop during Lichens. way different experience than when he opened up for Explosions in the Sky and the place couldn't stop talking through his set

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 9:07 AM

Definitely not a bad crowd at all....I loved how there was so much room last night on the floor. Every T5 show should be around that capacity and people won't be whining about how bad the place is.

I saw Thurston Moore near the front watching Boredoms.....maybe he was checking out to see the venue for their show in Nov....and last night, the sound wasn't bad at all...my ears are still ringing and definitely one of the best shows I went to this year

My list so far for 2009.....(not in any particular order)
1) David Byrne at Radio City
2) Boredoms at T5
3) Cursive at Union Hall
4) Modest Mouse at T5
5) Converge at Europa
6) Sonic Youth at United Palace
7) Bat for Lashes at Bowery
8) Jarvis Cocker
9) Animal Collective at Prospect Park
10) Explosions in the Sky at Central Park

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | September 10, 2009 9:25 AM

i saw lichens open for explosions last year (not in nyc though)..had never heard of him before that...one of the most bizarre/cool musical experiences i'd ever had.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 9:25 AM

i was torn between going to this or The Drones... sooooooo glad i decided on this

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 9:27 AM

Crazy good show.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 9:54 AM

The "annoying crowd" was anyone who decided to flip out when people started dancing. I'm talking to you bald dude in the white shirt pushing kids around like it was flashdance or something! Loosen up!

Regardless, that show was epic.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 10:03 AM

looks like a poor turnout bummer. I love the boredoms.
hate lichens.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 10:11 AM

piss off 10:03

Posted by bald dude in white shirt | September 10, 2009 10:12 AM

the show was sold out.
& they played acid police (!!!)

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 10:25 AM

lichens was nice.

if that was a sold out show, it was the roomiest sold out show i've ever seen at terminal 5. which was quite pleasant and loud.

also, dude on a platform with bearers!

Posted by dhex | September 10, 2009 10:52 AM

who the fuck are the boredoms? Fuck them. Bring back real rock you homo hipster sisssssssssssssssies!

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 11:01 AM

Lichens is Rob Lowe from 90 Day Men. That band was awesome.

Posted by Akonymous | September 10, 2009 11:07 AM

does anyone know who the rest of the drummers are?!

Posted by ashnonymous | September 10, 2009 11:12 AM

zach hill and jeremy from ponytail are in some photos

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 11:16 AM

kid millions from oneida too

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 11:19 AM

ZOMG THE BEST SHOW EVER IN THE HISTORY OF SHOWS!.

JESUS WAS ACTUALLY AT THE SHOW TO HEAR THEM PLAY ACID RAIN

Morons.

I got to believe most of the turds calling it the best show ever were not at the show 2 years ago in the park.
Plus of course Terminal Shit sounded great. For the most part it was basically drummers making loud noises. Loud Banging Noise is about all that place is good for.

Oh and Johnny Greenwood is the Man. With that list of yours I can now easily dismiss any comment you make(although truth be told i already did). While the actual Johnny Greenwood is the man, you clearly are not.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 11:19 AM

if anyone told me to shut up during a show that was not a.) seated
b.) classical music
c.) in a church sanctuary

i would definitely tell them to go fuck their mother's puckered asshole.

loosen up you fucking squares!

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 11:29 AM

The crowd didn't suck but I really don't understand how people can stand still when experiencing that kind of primal sonic bombardment, especially when it's so goddamn percussive. I personally felt like a puppet on strings connected to all the instruments on stage...dancing wasn't an option, it wasn't something I could choose not to do...in my few moments of stillness I couldn't believe how few people around me were even nodding their heads to the tribal beats being pounded out on stage, just standing ramrod still...

Posted by Tumbleweed | September 10, 2009 11:33 AM

@ 11:19, sounds like you have some pretty narrow tastes/views of what music is, i like that Greenwood person's post more than yours, just want you to know, have a nice/peaceful life...

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 11:42 AM

Drummers:

Hisham Bharoocha- Soft Circle
Butchy Fuego- Pit er Pat
Aaron Moore
Dave Nuss- No Neck Blues Band
Kid Millions- Oneida
Jeremy- Ponytail
Zach Hill- Hella

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 12:01 PM

drummer Aaron Moore is from Volcano The Bear

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 12:05 PM

this amazing show was nowhere near sold out.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 1:03 PM

11:19 nailed it:

cursive, modest mouse, bats for lashes, animal collective, sonic youth, david byrne, explosions in the sky...

wow..

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 1:08 PM

beautiful shots

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 1:16 PM

the crowd was alright, but there definitely were some assholes in the crowd. like cowboy hat dude. cowboy hat dude insisted on squeezing in front of me when i thought i had found a great place and could finally see (i'm 5'3"!!). then cowboy hat dude proceeded to completely disregard my personal space (and that of anyone in his radius) by ramming his cowboy hat into my face as he gyrated. cowboy hats should not be allowed into concert halls, nor should people who think they should be wearing cowboy hats.

and some other guy spilled beer all down my arm and tried to pretend like it didn't happen - but i saw it happen! but i digress.

THE BOREDOMS WERE INCREDIBLE AND THAT'S REALLY ALL THAT MATTERS.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 1:30 PM

I saw Rascal Flatts and Brad Paisley at T5 and I wore my god damned cowboy hat. Just like everyone else. Go to hell you cowboy hat-hating old bag.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 1:40 PM

I brought my own drum making it 100.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 1:47 PM

1:47 wins!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 3:02 PM

I love this entry!
Bummed I missed it, but amazing photo journalism!

Posted by chloe | September 10, 2009 3:30 PM

I gotta believe the dickhead at 11:19 wasn't at the show last night, and wonder how he can write the show off as "basically drummers making loud noises" while praising the show of two years ago that had, you know, 68 more kits. I wasn't at 7/7/7 (but was at 8/8/8, which was disappointing, esp. given how good a live band Gang Gang Dance is) but two friends who were attending last night's with me were there and they, more interested in honesty than self-mythologizing ("it was amazing; I was there: I'm amazing!"), and too distant from high school to be trying to score points on strangers with band and concert catalogs, thought it had your merit badge beat. Opinions vary. Good figure. No, really.

Posted by anonymous | September 10, 2009 3:33 PM

i wish i knew if they were playing again today like they did at other music last time.

Posted by uneedahug | September 10, 2009 3:36 PM

really great show.

if someone can explain to me though how this was SOLD OUT when they didn't even let people up into the balconies? come on. least sold out show ever at terminal 5 more like it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 3:47 PM

I think there's a clear cut difference between folks who are dancing and simply into the music, which is totally fine, and dumbfucks who have nothing better to do then talk about stupid bullshit, mostly showing to their friends what photos they were just tagged in Facebook via their iPhones.

Oh, I also love people stumbling around drunk and almost dumping their beer on my back due to being shit-faced, even though it was only 8:45 by that point and the beer they serve at the venue is watered down beyond belief.

The crowd as a whole was nowhere near as obnoxious as the one from their last show at Terminal 5 last year (or was it the year before that?), yet I unfortunately was unlucky enough to be almost completely surrounded by the aforementioned douchebags, who thankfully were completely drowned out by all the drumming during the main set.

Back to the dancing, it really wasn't an issue for me personally, but there really is a time and a place. If you're in the midst of others like a sardine and no one else feels like dancing, it's going to be obnoxious no matter what. In that case, simply move to another spot with some space, where I'm sure that's going to be a like-minded individual. Call those other peoples squares, whatever, but don't be pissed that they might value other people's personal space a tad bit more than you.

Though the real key is simply know how to move your body. Not that I'm the best at it either, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen some dude's version of dancing, which consists of stretching out his limbs and shaking violently, which always ends with him smacking someone in the back of the head (or in one case, flat out elbowing a person in the back of the neck), usually some poor short girl who is already getting shafted cuz she doesn't have the most optimal view of the action.

BTW, why is at least one person harping on the fact that it wasn't sold out, as if it was indicative of a band show? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the comment wrong... I personally was glad it wasn't so packed.

And dude who thinks he's hot shit for being there for 7/7/7: congratulations, you must feel so special. I would have loved to be there but couldn't, and my friends who were able to attend did make mention of how retarded a good deal of the crowd was, and these are the kinds of folks who never get upset by dumb crowd antics, unlike myself. All of which was immortalized the documentary that played last year at the Anthology (def worth checking out, though I know there's like at least two of them), so at least I have the excellent live recording after all is said and done.

Posted by FortNinety | September 10, 2009 4:00 PM

they confiscated my yellow highlighter on the way in. :<

...but it was still a once in a lifetime show. absolutely beautiful.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 4:19 PM

BTW, awesome pics!

Posted by FortNinety | September 10, 2009 4:22 PM

holy fucking shit i should kill myself for deciding to not go to this and instead watch the usa barely get the win against t&t. motherfuckin fuck fuck fuck fuck. acid police? seriously. fuck fuck fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2009 10:32 PM

boring

Posted by bob | September 11, 2009 1:10 AM

@1:10 bob: exciting and insightful! and, the ambiguity so skillfully built into your comment -- is it the show, or this blog post you find boring? -- can only leave us with the poorest guesses of the breathtaking life you must lead. the Internet is lucky you're able to stop by for a few seconds to weigh in on stuff. but you should know, there are a couple youtube videos out there without enough comments. they need you!!

i retract all this if you were just referencing the name of the band. but you weren't. or you would've said BOREING or something.

cheers to this blog post. awesome documentation of a great show deserving of such documentation.

Posted by david | September 11, 2009 3:05 AM

one of the best shows i've ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | September 11, 2009 3:10 AM

I wish they would have turned up the tom drum and the high hat had been miked a bit more for that crazy super duper drum feel.

No really they were better to see in 1999 when it was two or three drums and other instruments were heard as well rounding out the sound.There some seriously obnoxious people at NYC shows these days who think there on a TV show or something.

Posted by Anonymous | September 11, 2009 4:02 AM