Posted in music | pictures on September 17, 2009

words by Black Bubblegum, photos by Ryan Muir

some of the stars of ATP NY 2009
Hopewell

What's almost the exact opposite of a soothing set of Seven Swans performed by one of the most delicate singers in indie rock? Try nine drummers (including Hisham Bharoocha, Zach Hill, and Kid Millions among other notables) bashing your fucking skull for so long that the stage manager has to come out to unplug their gear and remove toms from underneath them! That's how I started my ATP Day 3... with the Boredoms blowing my mind.

Starting off with sparse chords on the monstrous multi-neck guitar/percussive device, Eye set a calm and reflective mood... and then the cymbals. And then the toms. And then eight drummers pummeled away led by Yoshimi P-We. And then the synced rimshots that recalled an Animal Collective beat. All of this happened before a ninth drummer was carried into the show like an emperor while doing a call and response with the other eight.

Within about 10 minutes, I knew that Boredoms would take the prize as best show at Kutsher's that weekend. The sheer power of the coordinated drums, along with pregnant pauses and killer synth effects performed via keys, CD-DJ tables, and broomsticks (!) were beyond jaw dropping.

Following Boredoms, I poked my head into Oneida's Ocropolis for the first of many times. For 10+ hours, Oneida basically had the small and very decorated room all to themselves for a long jam session with their friends. Reportedly, the band had tape rolling the whole time (Ocropolis is the name of their Brooklyn recording studio) and had visuals provided by the Mighty Robot AV Squad. With local standbys like BJ Warshaw of Parts & Labor/Shooting Spires fame, Chris Weingarten (ex P&L), Todd P, and many others spotted in the Sportsman's Bar, it seemed like Brooklyn in the Catskills. Unfortunately, I missed every single special guest appearance (word is, and in part according to a sign on the door, Soft Circle, Yoshimi, Aaron from Tall Firs, Zach Hill, Steven Drozd and many others all popped in) but the band was very interesting to watch, alternating between songs, and droney ambient jams.

Caribou was next in the main room and the 16-piece(!) band including Sun Ra Arkestra member Marshall Allen, Koushik, Kieran Hebden (Fourtet) and many others. I had no expectations heading into the set and was pleasantly surprised, although I found the mix to have waaay too much low end.

I ducked out of Caribou early to catch the last twenty minutes of Hopewell who was billed to be playing "The Desperation Suite," "complete with a female choir and avant-garde saxophonist Mark Marinoff". From what little I saw, the three person "choir" did little but coo, ooh, ahh, and coordinate a dance, but the band did close with a rousing cover of Jane's Addiction's classic "Of Course".

continued below...

After a lull and a trip back to see Oneida, I managed to catch a few moments of Black Moth Super Rainbow. The band started out with a video presentation that included Eric Wareheim and devolved into an extremely simple live show, with their only energy coming from a bearsuited dancer wearing what appeared to be a Wayne Coyne mask. BMSR have some interesting songs, but their live show left something to be desired. I left pretty quickly.

There was no way that I would miss the mighty Deerhoof, who I hadn't seen since the addition of guitarist Ed Rodriguez. I made sure I was there for ths start of their set. The quirky and adorable band killed classics both old ("Flower") and new ("+81") as well as a new song "written last week". I personally believe that Greg Saunier is one of the great drummers in music today and Rodriguez is amazing, freeing up more space for Satomi to be cute and fun. Did I mention that John Dieterich is a killer guitar player? Deerhoof = nails.

After watching the tail end of Menomena, I hung tough to check out Boris who performed Feedbacker in its entirety. I was curious as to whether Michio Kurihara would make it to the show (he obviously did not play on the LP) but he did, adding layers of feedback and swapping out melodies with Wata. The soaring 30 minute crescendo came crashing down with a killer noise jam that forms the basis for the song title and is also (reportedly) a reference to a distortion pedal of the same name. Easily one of the best shows I have ever seen them play, and I have seen them many many times. Such discipline and such killer riffs!

And the award for oddest addition to the festival goes to..... Crystal Castles. Though I feel like this band did not fit the bill at all, their thumping 8-Bit music was the equivalent of a 1000 watt amp blaring Castlevania for Nintendo... but I dug it. Alice Glass is riveting and it was awesome to hear the band push the sound system to the brink, much like My Bloody Valentine did one year ago (albeit in an entirely different frequency range).

Next up was the No Age/Bob Mould show, and it was beyond amazing to hear Mould sing on some of the old Husker Du classics. I've heard criticism that there was no low end in the songs, which seems to me to be a bit nonsensical, and twenty or so kids in the mini mosh pit in front of the second stage would probably agree. As discussed, Bradford Cox came out to rock with the band on a cover of The Heartbreaker's "Chinese Rocks".

What hasn't been said about a Flaming Lips show? As cynical as I can get (very), and as much as I know every single trick that Wayne and the boys pull, when you're in in the moment, it's hard to resist getting swept up in the vibe. I enjoyed every second of their show, but found it a little irritating that the band only played one song from easily their best LP, The Soft Bulletin, and none from their prior albums, yet they had the time to sing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", a schticky and obvious nod towards Wayne Coyne's poor singing voice (which he acknowledged during the show). Besides that, it was tons of fun, though I must say, I know their live show in and out and unless they change that or their setlist, I probably don't need to see them for a while. More thoughts, a detailed description of the show, and pictures from that set, here.

In all, I thoroughly enjoyed myself on Sunday, much more so than Friday or Saturday. I don't think that ATP 2009 was able to touch the vibe or the amazing artists in 2008, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, and you'll see me at Kutsher's in 2011 2010. Just look for the guy in the Darkthrone shirt.

Day One review HERE. Day Two review HERE. Crystal Castles pictures HERE. Flaming Lips pictures HERE. No Age / Mould pictures HERE. The rest of the pictures from Day Three (including some of Jim Jarmusch giving a Q&A in the Criterion Cinema room with Wayne Coyne in attendance, and Super Furry Animals), below...

Ice Cream Man was in the house

Boris

Boris

Boris

Boris

Boris

Also, KUTSCHER'S IS FOR SALE

Didn't the Lips also play "Do You Realize?" off SB?

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 1:28 PM

"Do You Realize??" is off Yoshimi.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 1:31 PM

stopped reading when you started gushing over deerhoof

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 1:35 PM

Good to see Flight of the Conchords joined Oneida for the all-day jam.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 1:41 PM

Deerhoof was my favorite show of the day. Band was killer, visuals were perfect.

Caribou was great (esp. hushed, reworked Melody Day) but came off as slightly under-rehearsed at times and seemed to be experiencing some sound issues onstage. Minor issues though, really great set.

Boredoms were visceral and mind-blowing. One of the most interesting shows I've ever been too. Progressive drum-based music that never bored.

SFA were the most disappointing set of the day. Lacking energy, they didn't appear to be having fun. And that sign gimmick was obnoxious.

Crystal Castles were surprisingly interesting despite the bland music (Alice, mixed feelings).

Flaming Lips are a band I've seen (and loved) twice before but have no interest in seeing again. No spontaneity. Sing alongs were excruciating, Wayne rambles, I want to punch Steven. The magic is gone for me, although the new songs sounded great live.

Posted by stage 1 | September 17, 2009 1:47 PM

Takeshi switched his steinberger with a rick, it seems

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 1:57 PM

i don't agree that '08 was better. yes, the weather was better in 2008, but between boris, boredoms, no age, melvins, jesus lizard, dirty 3, and deerhoof, '09 destroyed '08 in terms of the music performed on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 2:15 PM

Takeshi's guitar is a Rick copy from First Act.

still looked bad ass, though.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 2:32 PM

would have loved to have seen Feedbacker

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 3:03 PM

Why will we see you in 2011? Is ATP officially off for next year?

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 3:17 PM

No, his Darkthrone shirt is on back-order.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 3:38 PM

you have to order darkthrone shirts over a year in advance

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 4:00 PM

I hate you guys. Kidding. I'm an idiot who types too fast. What can I say.

Posted by BBG | September 17, 2009 4:15 PM

2009 blew 2008 out of the water for real

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 4:19 PM

What about "That crazy guy"? I spent a good amount of time during the course of the weekend avoiding that tall, little backpack wearing fucker. I think he took a wrong turn at Bonnaroo and never looked back.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 4:57 PM

2009 was weak compared to 2008.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 6:03 PM

4:19 got it right...2009>>>>>2008

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 6:52 PM

I wish I could only say glowing things about Flaming Lips' performance but Wayne Coyne really killed it for me. He spent far too much rambling about nothing and trying to cheerlead the crowd because our applause was apparently not enough for his huge ego. All this pleading was so lame and desperate. The setlist wasn't particularly great and suffered even more so from his momentum-killing bullshit talk. They really should have taken a cue from MBV the year before: Shut the fuck up and kill us with what you do best.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 6:53 PM

4:57 got it right...2008>>>>>2009

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 7:06 PM

I'd take 2009 over 2008. 08 had a really weak Saturday imo. The 09 acts were better dispersed throughout the days and I love having the co-headliner opening the main stage.

Plus, the 09 Sunday made the event seem a lot more special than 08. You probably won't see anything like Ocopolis or Du Age again, whereas MBV et al come around to do NYC shows.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 7:12 PM

08 > 09. 09's roster had more "good" bands but 08's had better "great" bands if that makes any sense. And the full albums played were better last year.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 7:25 PM

This Friday killed last Friday. tJL was WAY better than any other band last year on the 'don't look back' stage.

Last year's Saturday was strong, 7:12. Harmonia? Om? Polvo? Edan? EPMD? Shellac (again)? Not to say this Saturday wasn't superb as well, since it was.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 9:27 PM

EPMD was Sunday.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 11:27 PM

"He spent far too much rambling about nothing and trying to cheerlead the crowd because our applause was apparently not enough for his huge ego."

Have you seen them before? He just does that...Every time. Even if the crowd is going completely nuts. It's just a "thing" he does. Like an ironic rock thing basically.

You have to be really cynical to hate on their show and the band in general. Yes, i know what i'm getting now (seen them like 8 times), yes, i want more tunes off "Soft Bulletin" and before, but - they always put a smile on my face and uplift me.

Plus - the new songs sound GREAT live...I listened to some of the Colbert streaming of "Embryonic" and it is trippy as hell. In a good way. I'm psyched now for it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2009 10:26 AM

10:26- I don't think you have to be cynical to be disenchanted with what the Lips are doing these days, esp. if you've seen them before. Their live show is still exciting at times (esp. the intro), but I think it's painful when the band turns songs like "Fight Test" into hokey, drawn-out electric piano ballads, wringing the audience for applause and encouragement after every verse or chorus. I love that song but just wanted it to end. "Taps" was unnecessary and forced, as usual, and Coyne still rants about Bush for some reason. They just refuse to evolve; I saw them two years ago and the show hasn't changed much (although the new songs were admittedly great).

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2009 10:48 AM

To respond to some of your points 11:27...

No, I have not seen the Flaming Lips before their performance at ATP. I tried a few times (even got in line to be one of the costumed animals on stage several years ago) but no dice. I have been a fan for long time now, own several of their records, and was very much looking forward to seeing their live show which I had only heard great things about.

That said, I walked away fairly unimpressed and disappointed. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great and I loved the visuals, from the jumbotron screen to the confetti cannons and huge balloons and laser pens, etc. I actually believe I would have been content with just the intro and their performance to "Race For the Prize" which was truly a breathtaking moment for me.

Just because it's a "'thing' he does...Like an ironic rock thing basically" does not mean i have to enjoy that part of the experience. To suggest he was doing it out of irony would actually make the experience even more depressing for me if that were in fact the case. But I don't believe it was irony at all. Wayne is clearly an egomaniac.

Speaking of egomaniacs, I saw Kanye West perform last year in some really shitty seats waaaaay in the back of that awful place known as Madison Square Garden. He did all the bullshit you might expect from him but the one thing he did that Wayne Coyne didn't was PERFORM like a motherfucker. Hip-hop performances for me in general are let downs because they don't translate very well in the live context and rappers just bark in the mics even if they sound laidback on their albums. Kanye, on the other hand, sounded great and performed like it was his last. You could feel its impact on a crowd that was several times larger than ATP. Not only that, he was able to sustain this energy for a much longer performance with - surprisingly - less bullshit ego talk than Wayne Coyne.

Ego isn't the problem, it's what you do with it. I was turned off and frustrated by the fact that during the final act of what was already a long weekend of music Wayne didn't just get down to business and instead bored me with self-congratulatory crap.

I agree entirely with 10:48. I'm not a cynic when it comes to live performances especially when it's by bands that - on record at least - I love. At the end of the day, I just want to see a great show regardless of who is up on stage. Take away all the balloons, confetti cannons, laser pens, and ladies in superhero yeti outfits and what do you got? Not much.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2009 12:02 PM

boredoms destroyed all other bands at this festival. i saw it. crushed it all up in a ball and blew it like dust into the air. like supernova, or those fucking pens that the men in black have to just erase everything....i felt like i went to the chiropractor on too many mushrooms.

i mean it, all the other shows just couldn't compare.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2009 3:21 AM

just for personal knowledge, the black moth live mascot is a yeti wearing a judge ito mask.

Posted by Anonymous | September 21, 2009 2:27 AM