Posted in music on September 28, 2009

"R.I.P. my dear brother, friend and band mate Beau Velasco. For all those who wish to pay their respects I will let know soon." - THEDEATHSET

Beau

First meeting in their home town of the Gold Coast of Australia, Johnny Siera met Beau Velasco at a gig where Velasco's band Black Panda were performing. Drawn to the energy of the show, Siera contacted Velasco and was soon asked to join for a tour of the East Coast of Australia with Brooklyn band Japanther. Inspired by the tour, the two decided to drop everything, move to Sydney and focus on the band as a two piece renaming themselves The Death Set.

Taking root in a central Sydney warehouse the pair converted to their studio they wrote what would become the EP 'to". Having a sound both electronic as well as rock, their first shows around Sydney would be at nights as diverse as the infamous club night "Bang Gang" as well as rock night "Gimme Gimme Gimme".

The pair soon moved to Brooklyn then Baltimore where they became involved in the flourishing DIY warehouse scene and toured constantly. [Wikipedia]

RIP Beau.

Check out some videos below...

Very sad news. Some of the most fun shows I've been to in the last few years have centered around this band. Glasslands w/ Ninja Sonik a while back was insane. RIP Beau

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 10:17 AM

what happened? young guy no?

Posted by public school whitey | September 28, 2009 10:20 AM

what? what the fuck happened? i love beau.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 10:44 AM

What happened? Hmmmm, let's see: young man dies, very close person posts an obit, no mention of the cause of death. Put 2 and 2 together, and even you will know what happened.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 11:27 AM

I'm so sad about this. My heart is breaking.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 11:36 AM

also curious to know what happened? I loved seeing this band every time they came thru my city

Posted by anonymous | September 28, 2009 11:41 AM

please let this not be... you were a magical heart Beau. i'm glad that so many of your dreams became real here in the BK. we will miss you.

Posted by meenamade | September 28, 2009 12:00 PM

im a bit shocked, hung out with this dude, saw him all over Brooklyn. So talented and young..SAD. RIP!!

Posted by woah | September 28, 2009 12:17 PM

I really liked Beau. Its a sad sad day.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 12:33 PM

OD?

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 12:55 PM

This is really terrible. RIP Beau. You were always a nice and upbeat guy. You'll be missed.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 3:31 PM

Beau Bridges

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 5:46 PM

zippi-do-dum: a fucking retarded indie rocker from a shitty band overdoses. in other news, it's raining in brooklyn.

Posted by truf | September 28, 2009 8:16 PM

fuck you. were not talking about the choad from black lips. Beau was seriously and genuinely one of the nicest dudes in Brooklyn. he loved the east coast so much that he ditched the paradise that is the gold coast for here. not to mention the deathset are fucking talented whether it was beau or the dude from ecstatic sunshine playing with them and I hope Johnny continues the band to pay tribute to Beau. RIP.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 8:21 PM

It is a shame for someone young to die, but I wouldn't go as far as saying the Deathset were "fucking talented".

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2009 9:43 PM

I didn't know him that well and haven't heard enough of the Death Set except to say that the stuff I have heard, I remember. I will say that Beau himself was very talented, and encouraged others to use their talents as well.

Posted by drr | September 29, 2009 12:23 AM

Beau was an enormously inspiring human being. Whether it was music, art or tattooing, he always brought something fresh and unique. Such a loss, I and many friends are devastated.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2009 12:58 AM

Beau was a talented, quiet, reserved man who few knew well. I didn't know him well, but I will miss him.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2009 1:48 AM

Leave it to brooklynvegan to spout shameless comments

RIP Beau, so lucky to have seen you perform one last time. My sincerest condolences to Johnny and all of your other friends and family.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2009 1:55 AM

I'm glad Beau rejoined Death Set, his band, at the end. He wrote those songs and they sounded great at Above the Auto Parts Store that final time.

troubled private man, but a terrific person. tragic that he is gone. I don't know the story, but all the reasons that people die as young as he has are a shame and a waste. RIP Beau.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2009 1:59 AM

@truf 8:16 PM - your personal opinion of whether or not the deathset is a good band has nothing to do with the fact that beau was a good guy, and his friends & family are devastated. your appalling insensitivity is so vile, it actually makes me want to vomit. who are you to state, "fucking retarded indie rocker in a shitty band?" well, besides someone who obviously spends time not only glancing at brooklyn vegan, but taking the time to actually expand individual posts (about so-called shitty indie rockers), read them, AND comment on them. makes you sound like every single hipster on bedford who swears they are not a hipster. or just the most jealous, attention deprived loser desperately seeking validation for YOUR pathetic life by finding fault in others. (by the way, what internationally touring band are YOU in?) point being, cause of death is irrelevant, beau is loved and will be missed dearly regardless. if you want to talk shit about the music, find s post about the band itself, a live show, or a record review. have a little dignity, and show a little bit of respect. RIP Beau Velasco.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2009 3:25 AM

@3:35 AWESOME!

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2009 3:29 AM

man am I glad I went to the Above the Auto Parts Store show...RIP

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2009 5:24 PM

Great friend amazing artist, and someone that would always make you smile when you needed it. This is a person the world need, esp now. The City kills people. He was more then an artist he was someone who wanted to change things and with all the negatives things in the world it becomes so hard to carry on sometimes.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2009 9:11 AM

@3:25 well said. who insults the dead?

Posted by jake | October 1, 2009 12:43 PM

i don't think the dead get insulted.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 3:54 PM

rest in peace uncle Beau, you are missed and loved by everyone you knew. XX

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2009 10:47 AM

I just got turned on to The Death Set a few weeks ago and I love them. I am sorry I'll never get to see Beau perform but, I am happy that I have their music in my life. Thanks Beau! You will always be incredible to me.

Posted by Zanna | November 4, 2009 11:26 PM

Getting to this now as I was too upset at the time to respond...

In response to this...

Posted by truf | September 28, 2009 8:16 PM

Who are you motherfucker? What is your name and where do you live? Cause I and a lot of other people are on a fucking mission to destroy you insect of a human being.

Posted by Johnny Siera | July 16, 2010 5:34 AM