Posted in music on September 15, 2009

"Joe Satriani's lawsuit against Coldplay has been dismissed from court, according to reports. The legendary guitarist had previously claimed that Chris Martin and co ripped-off his 2004 song "If I Could Fly" for their 2008 single "Viva La Vida". A jury trial was expected to take place following the legal challenge, which was issued in December. However, international news sites are now claiming that the California Central District Court have decided against pursuing with the prosecution. This suggests that an out-of-court financial settlement may have been reached by both parties with Judge Dean Pregerson." [Yahoo News]

I usually think these cases are a bunch of bull, but I've heard the Satriani song and it practically sounds like a kareoke instrumental version of the Coldplay song.

Posted by iamtheangel.com | September 15, 2009 4:19 PM

This is ridiculous. I heard both songs. Not a rip off at all. Does everyone realize that there are only a limited # of notes in the music scale? You put a bunch of them together and there's bound to be some similarities.

Sincerely,

Ray Parker Jr.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2009 4:30 PM

i hope my suit against Coldplay and Satriani for causing me to puncture my eardrums with finishing nails stands.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2009 4:37 PM

coldplaysucks.com

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2009 5:41 PM

joe satriani ripped off the jack grace band

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2009 5:42 PM

Justice is served...........

Posted by mill vanilli | September 15, 2009 5:59 PM

a difficult case. one schmaltzo ripping off another schmaltzo.

Posted by gov. bobby jindal | September 15, 2009 6:02 PM

do I hear class action?

Posted by anon | September 15, 2009 6:05 PM

speaking as a guitarist myself, even though it seems like riffs can be limited, the possibility of having such a similar melody is barely a fraction of a percent. that being said, i respect both artists, and i think coldplay did, in fact, copy satriani, though probably unintentionally. that happens to me sometimes. i come up with what i think is a great riff but then realize i got it from somewhere. but not on purpose.

i recently got into satriani and downloaded some of his shit, and started humming "viva la vida" when i heard "if i could fly" for the first time, not even realizing that that was "THE VIVA LA VIDA SONG."

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2009 8:28 PM

Satriani and Coldpway both ripped off the toon from TWENT WEZNOR, who will beat them up soon!

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2009 9:03 PM

@ Ray Parker Jr.:

I see what you did there. (Too bad you didn't, 8:28)

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2009 12:07 AM

TEAM COLDPLAY!

Posted by George Harrison's ghost | September 16, 2009 5:22 AM

BS! Satriani rocks. Coldplay is the one that loves to inmitate the likeness of RADIOHEAD.
Coldplay is not talented. BS!

Team Satriani.

Posted by cindy | September 16, 2009 7:58 AM

Coldplay are millionaires 10 times over. They probably gave Satch $50k and said "piss off". Satch took the money and invested in more sunglasses and Sammy Hagar posters.

Posted by Carrington | September 16, 2009 9:58 AM

@Ray Parker Jr.:

Ha ha! Nice....

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2009 2:28 PM

Satriani sucks hes just pissed cuz ppl actually listen to coldplay instead of his shit song

Posted by Tom Jones | September 16, 2009 5:03 PM

To one degree or another musicians have been "borrowing" from one another for hundreds of years. However, by settling out-of-court, (if reports are true), Coldplay is admitting to guilt in this circumstance. I wish both parties in this case continued success going forward.

Posted by muzikluvor | September 30, 2009 11:42 AM

TEAM COLDPLAY ALL THE WAY!!! they rock!!

Posted by liz | October 27, 2009 8:21 PM

Out of court settlement is the best way to solve the case.if it goes to court it takes a long time for settlement.I hope both the musician will be satisfied with the agreement made between them

Posted by Movie | December 15, 2009 11:16 PM

Coldplay sucks ass juice!

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2010 1:42 AM

I like Satriani better, but his case really is baloney. And I mean that from a purely technical position as well.

Not the same melody:
There are several note differences PER PHRASE between the tunes' melodies.

Not the same chords:
That's right. Coldplay's progression is one chord different.

Not the same groove:
This should be painfully obvious.

Just because a song *reminds* you of another doesn't mean it's a rip.

Just because Satriani has more talent in his little finger than all the members of Coldplay combined doesn't mean he's automatically right.

Posted by jonthecomposer | July 4, 2010 12:12 AM

The song was actually plagiarised by Coldplay, although I do love the band they did copy the song, I listened to a mix of th esongs together, it was exactly the same, sorry coldplay fans but yes, the song was a complete copy, it dosent matter how many notes in the musical scale. the song was VERY similar. No one can write a song that sounds so simliar with out having copied it.

Posted by Horses | August 21, 2010 6:04 AM

The above comment was actually written by a tone deaf musician who can't hear the difference. This whole controversy is a litmus test for crap musicians.

Also, that particular melody has been used in many Jazz standards way before Joe Satriani came along. It's a bland and unoriginal melody, which is usually what makes a Pop song great. Pop music regurgitates cliches and reuses melodies over and over again. The Beatles for example, used melodies from other people. "Let it Be" is a common Gospel melody, McCartney wrote lyrics over. It's everything you do on top of a melody that counts.

Any decent songwriter knows this.

As a person who knows Joe Satriani personally, the band's lawyers settled out of court to speed up the process of ending such a remarkably stupid court case. Coldplay is at an estimated worth of 500+ million dollars. The actual musicians in the band- Coldplay had nothing to do with the decision to pay Satriani off. This happens all the time with very wealthy bands that are accused of plagiarizing.

Another interesting note, there were 10 other musicians suing Coldplay for the same song. This proves it's unoriginality. Again, this is just the melody. If you analyze Coldplay's song, there are extraordinary innovations all over the song.

Coldplay's done nothing different than anything MIchael Jackson or Radiohead have done, and no songwriter as brilliant as Chris Martin would have to listen to a 4 bar melody off a Joe Satriani record to steal. Joe saw an easy way to make a bit of money, something that happens frequently in the business.

Posted by Joe's friend | August 23, 2010 7:56 AM

Can you email me with some pointers on how you made your site look this awesome, I would appreciate it.

Posted by jocuri | September 5, 2012 12:26 AM