Posted in music on September 17, 2009

'New York City concert was hotter than a whore in heat! So amazing!' - Perez Hilton

'Ida Maria appeared to be drunk and phoning it in' in DC, Sep 12 (Francis Chung)
Ida Maria

"So, you'd assume that the self-proclaimed "queen of all media" would have been tweeting the crap out of Ida Maria walking off stage at her Boston show on Monday night. Perhaps a few scathing blog posts on his 20-million-hits-per-day web site and maybe some speculation -- totally unwarranted and without any actual, factual reporting -- that drugs and/or alcohol are to blame for the rising star's troubled performance.

But, no. Not one word was uttered, tweeted, typed or mentioned on any of the multiple social-networking sites to which Perez Hilton regularly contributes and certainly nothing on his astronomically famous web site, PerezHilton.com.

The gossip blogger and frenemy to the stars, has recently been toting his "Perez Presents" tour all over the internet, giving him even further bragging rights (in the past, Perez has taken credit for the successes of Lady GaGa and Mika) for "discovering" new talents Ladyhawke, FrankMusik, Eric Hutchinson, Sliimy, Semi Precious Weapons, and Ida Maria.

Despite the fact that most, if not all of the artists have been touring their home countries -- most artists are from overseas -- for the past year, and anyone who reads any sort of music news would know some of their names, Perez continues to promote his gig as a musical experience worth the $30plus price tag, because it will expose you to a whole "new" world or music.

I'd beg to differ. And I'm sure the mere 250 people who attended the event at the House of Blues [in Boston on Monday, September 14th] would agree, especially once co-headliner Ida Maria had a melt-down during song one-and-a-half, rendering her unable to perform the rest of her set.

The Norwegian rocker seemed less-than-impressed by the dwindling crowd as she took the stage (the three-story music venue can hold more than 2,400 people). She pouted her way through her first tune, refusing to sing the last two lines on the song, and opting, instead, to have a pow-wow with her guitarist, who pleaded with her to continue the performance under hushed mics.

As she led into her second song, the singer put down her own guitar and stood facing the audience folding her arms with an un-entertained, unenthusiastic, "I could care less" look written all over her face, before storming off mid-song leaving her band clueless. After a brief period of confusion, the stage managers reeled out a screen from which the audience could watch music videos. Already angry concert goers booed as Kanye graced the screen. Management were quick to replace his video with Janet, Madonna and of course, Taylor Swift.

Later, Maria would return from her fit back stage to apologize in broken English..." [Boston Daily Free Press]

That interesting, but somewhat unsympathetic article, fails to mention that Ida was crying, and that when she returned, she emotionally finished "Keep Me Warm" before apologizing "in broken English" and then finally leaving the stage for the last time. Video of the incident below.

Two nights earlier at the DC show, things weren't much better...

IN DC - September 12, 2009

"Next up was Ida Maria, who played arguably the most disappointing set of the night, if only because she had set the bar high with the scintillating performance she put on at the Black Cat last March. Opening with a couple of loose, bluesy jams, the Norwegian indie-rocker appeared to be somewhat off-kilter and (as Perez would later suggest) fairly intoxicated, slurring lyrics and botching guitar parts while generally lacking the verve that has distinguished her recordings and previous live shows. After Ida Maria closed her set with "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked," Hilton took the mic and announced that he was "about to get as drunk as that bitch," adding that "Even though she was a train wreck, she was still awesome!" (It's always helpful to have a professional on hand to provide instant spin.)" [DCist]
The tour went from DC to Philly to Boston (described above) to, after a night off, NYC last night (9/16). Ida Maria wasn't there. Still no tweets from Perez - just the sign on the door. She was replaced by Kat DeLuna. Little Boots also played an unannounced set, but that would have happened even if Ida was there.

Video from the Boston show

"Ida Maria walks silently from the stage in the middle of the second song in her set on Sept. 14, 2009 at the House of Blues in Boston, MA leaving the band to finish the song without her. After a very long period of time she reappears while crying to sing "Keep Me Warm". Unable to continue, she apologizes and leaves the stage for the evening leaving the crowd wanting so much more. (But the performance of her final song left our jaws on the ground. It was extremely intense and incredible... I hope that whatever is troubling her goes away STAT and she comes back to Boston!)

Ida Meh-ria.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:17 AM

she was out partying last night for fashion week! lameeeeeeeeeee

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:19 AM

who the hell is Ida Maria

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:20 AM

I love how hard the bass player is concentrating on playing that single note over and over again

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:28 AM

Only 250 people in House of Blues? I think that covers the security, and maybe the bartenders.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:28 AM

"Drunk in DC, Meltdown in Boston"... it sounds like a possible plot in for the next Sex in the City Movie!?

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:29 AM

douche baggery

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:36 AM

who

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:37 AM

that's what happens when chunky chicks have low blood sugar from not eating their usual 20 pounds of food before performing...

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:43 AM

good one 10:43! you're funny

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:48 AM

10:43- Calling her mediocre, bland, flavor-of-the-afternoon, etc... would have been alright. Fat jokes? You are a shallow puddle of douche.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:55 AM

Extry, Extry, Extended Exposure to Perez Hilton Causes Deep Dissatisfaction with Life.

Posted by J | September 17, 2009 10:59 AM

This was all created to generate slagging ticket sales. 20 million hits on his website obviously doesn't make one a good concert promoter. I am sure Perez is laughing all the way to the bank to cash those big Live Nation checks. Keep reading and buying his crap...suckers.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 10:59 AM

10:55 sorry for calling you fat in a past life :(

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 11:09 AM

ida is a complete bitch. she drunkenly approached me before a show she was opening (on a monday) demanding that i get drunk. i asked her if she was "EYE-da" and she got really pissed when she had to explain to me it was pronounced "EEE-da". she wasnt happy or flattered just to be recognized or anything. she's a self-absorbed trainwreck. this is not surprising.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 11:12 AM

11:09- I still can't go to the beach because of you. I fear I will never know the beauty of wavves.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 11:19 AM

Semi Precious Weapons suck

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 11:58 AM

10:55, you're probably some chick thats goes out with chubby girlfriends so you can be in the spotlight.

you cant bullsh*t a bullsh*tter

-10;48

ps-ida maria is a bust

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 12:15 PM

Y'know...there's sometimes an emotional vulnerability that you only get when a performer sings a song while choking back tears. While I'm certainly no advocate of shortchanging a paying audience out of part of what they've paid for, once Ida actually started singing what ended up being her last song in the video above, I kinda thought it was touching and beautiful.

Posted by blackhat | September 17, 2009 12:28 PM

12:15- Actually, just a random Ida Maria-loathing dude who appreciates how sensitive people (esp. women) are to that shit, and how little actual control a lot of people have over it. I agree, she's horrible, but it shouldn't have anything to do with her body. But thank you, now I understand why someone physically attractive might deign to be friends with someone heavier than them, that's something that has always confused me.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 12:29 PM

"how little actual control a lot of people have over it."

exercise and diet. dont blame your fat genes

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 12:47 PM

exactly 12:47! I weighed 189 this past January and as of today I am down to 132. I do have fat genes yet I stopped damaging myself through diet and lost the weight. How dare you make such a blanket statement 12:29! You're as ignorant as the other whiny girls chomping down on Mexican food after an indie show right after they've sucked down three beers..."Little actual control" my ass!

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 1:28 PM

Well 1:28, I guess I was thinking that it might be easier for assholes to stop making fun of fat people than it is for fat people to lose weight. Apparently, I was wrong. My bad! Good day to you. (Also, such a blanket statement as "how little control a lot of people have over it?" Yeah, really dropped the ball on that one there. How dare I!)

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 1:59 PM

Dear Christine Cassis,
I know you are only writing an article for a school paper, but BU is a prestigious school and I would expect it to have a decent English program.
In your article about Ida Maria, you wrote the following- "stood facing the audience folding her arms with an un-entertained, unenthusiastic, "I could care less" look written all over her face".

The correct term is "I COULDN'T care less". If you care about something, you could care less. If you don't give a shit, and there was no way you could possibly have less care for something, you say "You COULDN'T care less". Please learn proper English before writing another article.
Thanks,
Kurt C.- Grammar Nazi.

Posted by Kurt C. | September 17, 2009 2:06 PM

i like her so much better when shes clothed

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 2:34 PM

YO IDA, I'M REAL HAPPY FOR YOU AN I'MA LET YOU FINISH, BUT WAVVES HAD ONE OF THE GREATEST INEBRIATED MELTDOWNS OF ALL TIME!!!!!!

Posted by KANYE WEST!!!! | September 17, 2009 2:57 PM

she sucks, my 13 year old sister likes her. the crowd seems really annoying too

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 3:07 PM

Who fucking cares. Non news about a bratty random singer in a band nobody cares about.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 3:18 PM

Ida, I've see you a couple of times and you are not talented enough to get away with this shit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2009 6:04 PM

After the show I was with FrankMusik and LadyHawke were at a bar and Ida came in and was refused a drink bc 1) she had no ID on her and 2) last call was like 15 minutes before her arrival. Her reaction....run outside and come back in to throw a construction can into the bar.
SPW, FrankMusik, and LadyHawke were AMAZING

Posted by Nic | September 17, 2009 6:18 PM

I love how this thread evolved into an argument about obesity with people using time to identify each other's comments.

"Guuuuuuurrrrl, did you hear what 1:28 PM had the nerve to say to 11:09 AM??? Guuuurl, I'ma GO OFF! MmmHmmm."

Anyway,

EEE-DA EEE-DA I GUESS WE DON'T NEED YA.

Posted by Bailey | September 18, 2009 11:42 PM

That was Pip Brown A.K.A. Ladyhawke, not me, Ida, throwing the construction can into the bar, and I thought it was right on!! She´s got her birthdate tattooed on her arm.

Posted by Ida Maria | September 19, 2009 7:48 PM

Leave her alone. She has been on tour for almost three years. If you dont like her then don't. If you do well then wait for the new album. I would have a drink with her anyday she is adorable.

Posted by JimmyJazz xCCx | October 2, 2009 7:28 PM