Posted in music | pictures on September 3, 2009

photos by Chris La Putt

John Fogerty

"A free concert-I only realized it was going down thins morning and hemmed and hawed about going---and then bit the bullet and went.

Meeting up with Lucy Anne who was having a abd day, we went to dinner then walked to the seaport where we stood waiting for the concert to start. A few minutes before it did some guy dressed in black cam walking by about five feet away- It was Fogerty looking like Johnny Cash.

A few minutes later he started playing with Linda Ronstadts's When will I Be loved. I walked Lucy to Brookstone before heading back to the concert which was very crowded.

He played lots of Creedence- and I either missed Down on the Corner or he didn't play it.
Everyone was singing Centerfield which he played on a guitar shaped like a bat.
He did a wicked good cover of John Denvers's Ain't it good to be Back Home Again.
His Fortunate Son had everyone screaming.
He alternated Bad Moon and Bathroom (pointing to the right) in the lyrics
I Loved Looking out My Back Door.
I loved Rock and Roll Girls

And you can't believe how loud a crowd can sing and how spastic white people can be then what happened during Proud Mary.Who needs to talk in tongues. (actually there was lots of white guys proving they can't dance tonight)

Excellent concert" [dbborroughs]

More pictures from last night's (9/2) free John Fogerty show at South Street Seaport, below...

John Fogerty

Great show to end the summer

Posted by Jim | September 3, 2009 10:34 AM

Fortunately, this old white guy didn't dance, but simply watched, listened and enjoyed as Fogerty delivered a real concert last night to a huge crowd!

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 10:38 AM

Anybody see that bad moon last night?! Awesome show!

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 10:41 AM

amazing show - so glad i made it! Can someone post a set list, cuz i had to leave before it was over.

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 10:50 AM

the 6th photo from the topi is my dad

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 11:00 AM

Is that Carmella Soprano behind him?

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 11:03 AM

your dad is josh brolin?

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 11:03 AM

Kenny Aronoff gets no love

Posted by Jim | September 3, 2009 11:08 AM

and a fat elton john behind carmella?

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 11:11 AM

Great show.

Also, When Will I Be Loved - The Everly Brothers

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 11:14 AM

I told my dad not to wear the Fogerty shirt to the show, but I guess he resisted according to this picture. Will have to lecture him when he gets home from the steel plant in jersey tonight!

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 11:27 AM

Old people!

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 11:37 AM

Ever wonder what the crowd of a Sufjan Stevens show would look like in thirty years? See above pics.

Posted by Regular reader | September 3, 2009 11:41 AM

No one could work MEH in their comments?
I'm somewhat disappointed . . . .

Posted by DaveCromwell | September 3, 2009 11:59 AM

"The Old Meh-an Down the Road"?

That said, it was an insanely good show. Fogerty can still kick out the jams. He sounded great and his guitar solos were pretty damn nuts.

Posted by Brian Farrelly | September 3, 2009 12:07 PM

probably worth reporting. From the David Bazan thread.

The key to a great MEH comment is not to force it.
"David MEHzan" is forcing it, because BA and MEH don't sound anything alike.

it's best to use the MEH joke on words that actually have a syllable that sounds like MEH, like in the MEHtallica thread or if this were the 80s, MEHn at work.

also don't MEH a truly great band, that defeats the whole purpose of a MEH joke, although this is not a hard and fast rule, remember the great Paul MEHcartney thread where people made MEH jokes out of the entire Beatles catalog. MEHpic.

if there is no MEH joke to be had, it's best to just wait for the next thread. forcing it brings out the haters. if you wait for your chance, you will actually get, as I have, compliments on your MEH joke, it's originality and timing.

Thanks for listening! I hope we can all use this handy guide to MEH jokes so we can continue the meme and have fun with it!

Posted by your guide to MEH | September 3, 2009 12:10 PM

"When Will I Be Loved" is an Everly Brothers tune, covered by Ronstadt. Also check out the Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds (Rockpile) version.

Posted by Russell | September 3, 2009 12:13 PM

Tunes that stand the test of time.

Posted by drewo | September 3, 2009 12:15 PM

no mention of the black crowes show at summerstage... that's sad... it was dynomite! luther dickinson adds a whole new dimension to the band... and larry campbell jamming on lap pedal steel, it was thunderous... not to mention the openers, levon helm... no free show either, that packed house, paid to get in...

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 12:52 PM

A great artist w/ a great canon of work. Something to aspire to.

But who was Bearded Orange Gretsch Man who kept raising up his guitar every three minutes??

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 1:18 PM

prolly cause its 2009 not 1995 and nobody cares about the Black Crowes

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 1:19 PM

Rule 1 of dressing for a show: NEVER go to a concert wearing the shirt of the band you are seeing.

The exception/amendment to this rule that I occasionally make, is that if a member of the band used to be in another (generally more obscure) band I will wear that old shirt to the show to prove that I have been a fan longer than you have. IE: wearing a Whiskeytown shirt to a Ryan Adams concert means that you saw a band that 98 percent of the audience has not seen, and is even better than the artist you are seeing now. This means that I am cooler than you are, and you should look up to me, and ask me where I got that shirt. I would then be forced to tell you about the numerous times I saw them live, at smaller now closed venues that you never got to go to. Thus reinforcing the fact that I am much much cooler than you are.
Perhaps you disagree with this amendment, but do keep in mind. I am cooler than you.

P.S.-What is up with the glut of vague broken english comments linking to websites up in this mofo today?

Posted by The Mighty KC | September 3, 2009 1:25 PM

^^^ who do you think you are; MEHusic snobbery?

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 1:31 PM

where were the hipsters?

Posted by i used to be hip in 1968 | September 3, 2009 1:35 PM

brilliant renditions of "keep on choogling" & "born on the bayou".

excellent band!

incendiary version of "fortunate son".

i know it's a crowd pleaser, but i never really liked "proud mary".
would have been KILLER to end the show w "i heard it thru the grapevine"!!

no encore!?

Posted by redwhite+blue | September 3, 2009 6:41 PM

Fogerty's face looks like it is melting in some of these photos. Guess there was no zit medicine available in the sixties. Pretty desperate to do a John Denver song. He must be senile.

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 8:13 PM

JF is a one of a kind guitarist. he must have played 6 or 7 different ax's. incredible licks and solos!

and no, douche @8:13, he's not the least bit senile. nailed every word w/o the use of a teleprompter.

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2009 9:49 PM

she must have been really a beautiful party,photo give that I have seen, besides the beautiful skyscrapers photo give that I have seen, besides the beautiful skyscrapers I have also seen a lot of people of new york city.I must say that I have felt envy for them, for their fortune to be together with my idol John Fogerty and Band there.What a big fortune to have been born in america, that great country that are the united states! The greatest universal showmen just was born and they plays there.I from Genoa (city native of Cristoforo Colombo Columbus) look at all these photos and I thank the united states for to have given beginning and then sustained with a technology to the state-of-the-art one the great net. Here even if I can never come in the united states, I have a relief to my nostalgia really through the net. Badly that once a year John Fogerty comes in tour in Italy! A thanks to the inhabitants of N.Y.C. and a regard to my American brothers John Fogerty hip hurra, hip hurra to the united states!You excuse the errors of translation.
Ivo Rapetta (Vonrap) Genoa - Italy.

Posted by Ivo Rapetta | September 6, 2009 5:57 PM

are these things usually packed?

Posted by louis | October 17, 2009 12:53 PM