Posted in music | pictures on September 19, 2009

photos by Chris La Putt

Kevin Barnes & Janelle Monae
Of Montreal

Of Montreal followed their Wednesday night fashion week show at Santos with a Friday night public show at Terminal 5 in NYC (9/18). Joining them, as opener and on stage, was the always-photogenic and robotic, Janelle Monáe.

"...what a lot of people are missing about Monáe is that she puts the art of performing above all else, politics be dammed. Even finishing her follow-up record--Metropolis Suites II and III, due out in January--is of less concern than getting onstage and acting it all out....

...Not surprisingly, the Kansas City prodigy grew up studying dance and theater, which led to a stint pursuing both disciplines at New York's American Academy of Dramatic Arts. She became bored quickly with life in New York, however, and eventually moved to Atlanta, where she's currently based.

There she began crafting the character Cindi Mayweather, the Alpha Platinum 9000 android who's the heroine of Metropolis Suite I...

...Her friend Kevin Barnes, lead singer of the indie band Of Montreal, guests on the new album, as does OutKast. And Monáe hints at the possibility that Gwen Stefani could be on the record as well. Monáe toured with No Doubt earlier this year and bonded with the polystylistic blonde superstar. "[Stefani] gave me great energy and I felt inspired around her," says Monáe." [Seattle Weekly]

Solange (Knowles) was also in the house at Terminal 5 last night (she's the one in the yellow dress). She joined the band and Janelle for a cover of Diana Ross's "Love Hangover" during the encore. More pictures from the show, and both setlists, below...

Of Montreal

Solange was also at Santos on Wednesday. Fluxblog was there...

By the time the band came out for a second set, Kevin Barnes was clearly pretty far gone for whatever reason, and basically seemed insane for the remainder of the evening. "Bunny..." was a total trainwreck, albeit in an amusing way, and from there on, the performance became increasingly odd and loose until the group surrendered to their impulses and basically just jammed out on classic rock nonsense while Barnes' wife and her friends writhed around onstage. It was wildly indulgent, and totally hilarious. Also, uh, Solange showed up for a while there. Huh.
And this is the Santos Party House setlist is this....

of Montreal @ Santos Party House 9/16/2009
Set #1: Mingusings / Suffer For Fashion / Sink The Seine / Cato As A Pun / Forecast Fascist Future / Requiem For OMM2 / Rapture Rapes The Muses / Id Engager / Faberge Falls For Shuggie / For Our Elegant Caste / Touched Something's Hollow / An Eluardian Instance / Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse / The Past Is A Grotesque Animal Set #2: We Were Born The Mutants Again With Leafling / Bunny Ain't No Kind Of Rider / Beware Our Nubile Miscreants / My British Tour Diary / She's A Rejecter / Love Hangover (with Solange) / Heat Wave (with Solange) / Oslo In The Summertime / Anderson Cooper 360 chant -> very long jam including bits of Sweet Child O Mine, Suffragette City, Daytripper, She's Like The Wind, Footloose, and Don't Let Me Down

Great show. Band was awesome, as were the stage antics (pillow fight!) Lots of energy. But the crowd and venue were absolutely vile. The sound was inexcusably bad, T5 staff was rude as always, and the pit was overrun with thirteen year olds on acid who apparently thought it was somehow cool to mosh to Of Montreal. still, though, the band was amazing - but this was definitely my last trip to T5

Posted by Matt | September 19, 2009 8:59 PM

Agree completely with Matt.

Posted by Alex | September 19, 2009 9:25 PM

@matt, I couldn't put it better myself.

Posted by lauren | September 19, 2009 10:17 PM

Another time of my life. Epic footage.

Posted by Crystal | September 19, 2009 10:45 PM

The sound mix certainly could have been a bit more refined, but I enjoyed the show tremendously nonetheless. As far as Matt's comment goes about moshing, I can't completely agree with the statement that it's not "cool" to mosh to oM. I'll be the first to say that there were some rude, disrespectful people there, and the "ocean wave" chaos during the first song or two was like trying to swim in a tidal wave of people. But what would you expect from a General Admission concert? I was really into the music the whole time, and I'd get jumping along with it when I felt like it. The crowd was fairly docile where I was, and that was very close to the front. But to each his own. I totally respect your opinion. But if you're the ass who was behind me talking with his girlfriend about how to subdue my dancing... hm.! ;)

Posted by Aaron | September 19, 2009 11:29 PM

15 videos from the show here:

Posted by Anonymous | September 20, 2009 1:33 AM

Of montreal and Janelle was fucking amazing. Unfortunately some of the crowd wasn't.

If you want to know why venues DO NOT BOOK ALL AGES shows, is because of those underaged snots. I bet half of them were either stoned or drunk on some accord prior getting into the venue. Thank god I was on the balcony but still I had to experience some of those brats.

Also it was funny to see the bar nearly empty because of that. Still I would go to T5 again given if it WEREN'T an all ages show.

Posted by Justin Leon | September 20, 2009 2:23 AM

of montreal and janelle monae

Posted by Anonymous | September 20, 2009 3:15 AM

Loved Janelle Monae, but I was so sick of the crowd I left before Of Montreal finished. They sounded fine, but the whole night I felt like I was trapped on a school bus full of bratty high school students working their way through a garbage bag full of drugs. Every teen around me was either popping pills, smoking a joint, passing tabs of acid, texting, or talking. I don't remember all ages shows being this way in my day. No more all ages shows for me, or Terminal 5 for that matter.

Posted by ML | September 20, 2009 8:50 AM

Excellent photos Chris!

Posted by Bryan Kremkau | September 20, 2009 9:13 AM

if you can't take the heat get out of hell's kitchen

Posted by chris | September 20, 2009 1:55 PM

i am in fact only 17, yet i hate also cannot stand the "underaged snots" in the audience. they're horribly annoying and would do anything to see you fall in order for them to be in front. i'm in several of the pictures, looking terribly uncomfortable as i was being crammed against the metal fence. it was an awesome show though, i absolutely despised the crowd. i've been to terminal 5 several times, always in the very front against the fence, and every time, it's an overall uncomfortable experience. next time, i'll try the balcony. and as far as the sound quality, it was pretty terrible from where i was standing, at points.

Posted by Karina | September 20, 2009 2:48 PM

this is why i kinda hate concerts now, especially all ages shows

Posted by Anonymous | September 20, 2009 2:52 PM

people seem to forget that they were young once. relax.

Posted by Anonymous | September 20, 2009 4:26 PM

I agree with all the comments. Great show, incredibly annoying 16 year olds. Ohhhh well.

Posted by Anonymous | September 20, 2009 6:12 PM

Nice photos but that 5D only has measly 12 MEHgapixels :(

Posted by Anonymous | September 20, 2009 7:14 PM

I'm 16 and hated the crowd. I thought the problem was all the alcohol. I had to leave the front and go the the balcony because I was suffocating and falling to the ground. My friend and I ended up sobbing because it was such a horrifying experience The artists were great though and when of Montreal ended with a Sentence of Sorts in Kongsvinger I couldn't stop smiling. Thank you for the great photographs. Saw people I met in them. :D

Posted by Rocky | September 20, 2009 7:20 PM

Thanks for the videos, maestro416! Gotta be some of the better quality oM live recordings I've heard. AWESOME time. :D

Posted by Aaron | September 20, 2009 9:37 PM

wait....kevin barnes has a wife? im confused.

Posted by chris | September 21, 2009 10:58 AM

I love these fools.

Posted by Anonymous | September 21, 2009 11:02 AM

awesome photos chris. looks like a great show.

Posted by vinny | September 21, 2009 11:24 AM

I love Solange!

Posted by Anonymous | September 21, 2009 1:33 PM

I can't wait to hear Janelle Monae's new album with Of Montreal being on it! I'm sure her new music will be awesome.

Posted by Elle | October 17, 2009 11:38 AM

Awww, shit. I was really looking forward to see M&K, but Weezer (and the subsequent $37 tag) ruins this. Seriously.....Weezer blows.

Posted by louis | October 17, 2009 12:54 PM

Hey, this concert looks like fun...Janelle Monae aaaand Of Montreal. Aren't they working together for her new album?? I love Janelle, she's great:)

Posted by Hadji | November 26, 2009 2:06 AM

Love it! Stunning pictures. :-} x

Posted by Pariuri Sportive | February 20, 2010 5:39 AM

Hey Chris! Nice snap shots.

Posted by Promagz | March 6, 2010 11:32 AM

Posted by Extenze Results | March 8, 2010 1:12 PM

great shots, well done

Posted by Data Recovery | March 29, 2010 12:03 PM

This is a great and very valuable information about Of Montreal & Janelle Monáe played Terminal 5 (pics & setlist), Kevin Barnes & others guest on Janelle's new album. Thank you very much for sharing this information with us.

Thanks.

Posted by Software Contabilità | April 3, 2010 9:19 AM

Born Janelle Monáe Robinson, on December 1, 1985, a Kansas City, Kansas native, moved to New York to study theatre at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy. Her original plan was to pursue a career on Broadway, but she soon changed her mind and returned to her love for music, an art form which, according to her, has the potential to change the world.
After moving to Atlanta, GA, where she met OutKast's Big Boi, Monáe founded the Wondaland Arts Society with like-minded young artists and made a couple of appearances on Idlewild, where she is featured on the songs "Call The Law" and "In Your Dreams."
By 2007, Monáe was ready to release her first solo work, titled Metropolis. It was originally conceived as a concept album in four parts, or "suites," which were to be released through her website and mp3 download sites. After the release of the first part of the series, Metropolis Suite I of IV: The Chase in mid-2007, these plans were altered following her signing with Sean "Diddy" Combs' label, Bad Boy Records, later in the year. The label gave an official and physical release to the first "suite" in August 2008, which was retitled Metropolis: The Chase Suite (Special Edition) and included two new tracks. The EP was generally well-received by critics, garnering Monáe a 2009 Grammy nomination in the Best Urban/Alternative Performance for her single "Many Moons", festival appearances and opening slots for the indie pop band Of Montreal.
Monáe also toured as the opening act for band No Doubt on their summer 2009 tour.[3] Her single, "Open Happiness," was featured in the 2009 season finale of American Idol.
In a November 2009 interview, Monáe revealed the title and concept behind her upcoming album, The ArchAndroid. The album is set to be released on the 18th of May 2010 . The second and third suites of "Metropolis" will be combined into this full-length release, in which Monáe's alter-ego, Cindi Mayweather—also the protagonist of Metropolis: The Chase Suite—will become a messiah-esque figure to the android community of Metropolis.

Good article, in our music college I'm going to write an essay on this topic, probably I'll use the custom writings service.

Posted by Matthew | May 3, 2010 5:45 AM

Posted by شات الود | July 19, 2010 3:29 PM

After canceling a November 16th performance at SUNY Purchase due to back problems, musician Dan Deacon has returned to full force. On Saturday, February 20th, the visiting alumnus played late into the night at the Stood Student Center [ed: pronounced "'st(y)ood"]. His set was jam-packed with the crowd participation he's well-known for. Turning the Stood into one massive dance party Deacon seemed at home among the current student body.

Posted by Wed | August 15, 2010 9:01 PM

Catherine Russell is a jazz and blues singer with a voice that is dusky, feminine and soulful. The daughter of Louis Armstrong's longtime musical director, Luis Russell, and outstanding bassist and

Posted by شات صوتي | August 17, 2010 4:46 AM

Man, these are really great photos!

Posted by Tim | February 17, 2011 7:19 AM

and deserve to be able to continue to do so. It's easy to say "should've had insurance," but easier to enjoy art in any

Posted by سعودي كام | February 25, 2011 9:28 AM

This was such an awesome show!

Posted by Ted | March 22, 2011 11:42 AM

Posted by Vera Bradley, Inc | June 2, 2011 3:02 AM

Nice, by the way try http://goo.gl/bt4Hc - inspirational stories ;). A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Posted by Sharon Gonzalez | January 29, 2013 2:48 PM