Posted in music | pictures on September 12, 2009

photos by Ryan Muir

Jesus Lizard

Make Major Moves: When we've talked in the past, I remember you saying that there was no way the Jesus Lizard would ever reunite -- mostly because you didn't think [drummer] Mac [McNeilly] would do it. And you said the same thing about Scratch Acid, and then Scratch Acid did that little reunion in '06...

David Yow: Well, I think that doing the Scratch Acid thing helped me learn to quit saying never, because I used to say never all the time and I think that it's bitten me in the ass a few times and made me look kinda foolish. I'm not even certain how this came about. I guess [guitarist] Duane [Denison] had played with Mike Patton, and Mike was curating All Tomorrow's Parties in England and he asked Duane if we could get our shit together to play ATP. So there was e-mail going around and stuff...and Mac said he was into it, but there wasn't time from the point that Mac said okay until the ATP thing, so we just kinda blew it off. And then Touch & Go started talking about wanting to do these reissues [of the first four Jesus Lizard albums] with all this extra stuff and we thought, "Well, what the fuck? Okay, let's do some shows." And originally it was just gonna be like three or four shows and it's built up into a total of 35 or 40.

The Jesus Lizard headlined the first night of the ATP festival at Kutscher's in Monticello, NY last night (9/11). More about their set shortly. More pictures from it below...

can't wait for november

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2009 8:19 PM

I second that, 8:19! So glad I got a ticket!

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2009 8:35 PM

YOWzers!!!

It is definitely going to be Fun Fun Fun in November in Tejas!

Posted by TXn | September 12, 2009 9:00 PM

Need to get my tickets soon....

Posted by Regular reader | September 13, 2009 10:22 AM

ATP SUCKS this year! The whole weekends been so depressing. I hope the Lips make up for it.

Posted by Dirge | September 13, 2009 2:09 PM

^^^ They will.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2009 2:10 PM

Jesus Lizard were OK. Meh. They have the lamest fans. It's hard to ignore that about them, but they can still hit hard.

Posted by Joey | September 13, 2009 2:15 PM

Enough with the 90s band reunions!

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2009 2:23 PM

SHOW DICK SOME RESPECT! FAGGOT!

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2009 2:28 PM

I go wherever the Feelies go!

Posted by @ATP | September 13, 2009 3:21 PM

The Flaming Lips haven't been any good since "Jesus Shootin' Heroin."

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2009 3:38 PM

Mastadon > Jesus Lizard

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2009 6:39 PM

WORST BAND EVER.

Posted by Jesus | September 13, 2009 6:41 PM

Jesus Lizard haven't been good since Goat.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2009 6:57 PM

Are you high??? all of their music sounds the same! Stoopid hipster. Go back to Ohio.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2009 6:59 PM

Mastadon > Jesus Lizard

This person obviously has never listened to
Jesus Lizard.

I mean...

Apples > Oranges!!! seriously!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Posted by TXn | September 13, 2009 8:42 PM

Enough with the 90s band reunions!

what difference does it make,bands havnt made anything new sounding since then anyway.just rehashing the same stuff.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 8:40 AM

ATP thucked becauth TWENT weren't there to thing his Magical Satanical Mystery retirement goodbye thongs. And Woeman Polanski wathn't there either!

LET TWENT THING ALL THE THONG-ETH!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 9:38 AM

Yeah, because the jesus lizard is so original

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:28 PM

Pussy repelant.

Mid-west mall tape store cool with a "crazy" name.

If the Jesus Lizard come on the stereo at a party- chances are it will be followed by some Horten Heat.

Much like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, the Jesus Lizard were always the butt of jokes from people who actually listened to good music.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:52 PM

That's me in the title picture, etc.

Anyone who hates on a band like the Lizard just doesn't get it which is okay or, is just dumb. Either way they're missing out IMO.

I'd like to challenge anyone who thinks they know about music and can play guitar to play a single Denison lick correctly.

Also, Soundgarden's last 3 records are kick ass. The only joke here is that you think you're making a statement as if your opinion is what people who actually listen to good music think. And what is it that falls into your category of good music, you pretentious, closed-minded dolt?

Posted by wingwalker77 | September 14, 2009 2:13 PM

"I listen to good music like the jesus lizard so that makes me better than you. Play a jesus lizard guitar lick. You can't? Then you have no right to an opinion, you pretentious, closed-minded dolt"

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 2:23 PM

What does JL have to do with Rev Horten Heat? That's the dumbest comparison ever.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 2:32 PM

wingwalker77 is an ignorant, multi-retarded shitfest of assorted arrogant doucheness. You're the reason this blog has lost regular readers on a daily basis, and you're probably part of the MEH posters. Get rid of this trash and restore this blogs dignity Vegan!

Posted by sacred absolute hipster cow | September 14, 2009 3:17 PM

what does Jesus Lizard have to do with Rev Heat or soundgarden? all of these bands do their own thing, and they're all talented musicians. These east coast readers suck the enjoyment out of this blog.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 3:19 PM

You suck! I am famous and you are all jealous because I am featured on here! You look at pictures of me while I am featured on this blog! WINGWALKER77 4 EVER!!!!!!!!

I am more famous than Kanye!

Posted by wingwalker77 | September 14, 2009 3:23 PM

The Feelies owned ATP! Fuck Jesus Lizard and this wingwalking idiot.

Posted by Dolt | September 14, 2009 3:26 PM

wingwalker - will walker? real clever Goon.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 3:29 PM

Dont call me Goon! I hate that.

Posted by wingwalker77 | September 14, 2009 3:34 PM

New topic readers-

HOW AWESOME WERE THE FEELIES!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 3:38 PM

The Feelies were better in brooklyn. Remarkable show!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 4:55 PM

i feel sorry for the poster who doesn't think that tJL are original.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 5:41 PM

they sound like beach era nirvana with the some queens of the stone age guitar and dumb time signatures thrown in.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 8:15 PM

What a sad bunch of comments people.
For fans of the Jesus Lizard this reunion is a blessing and having seen them live in Minehead with GREAT fans it was an awesome time. The band and Yow are in fine form and I think its awesome that people can re-live the experience again or for the first time.
You people leaving uninspired comments about ATP, the Jesus Lizard and their fans need to either shut the fuck up or go listen to whatever whinny ass indie rock that is in fashion right now.

Posted by Steve | September 15, 2009 7:13 AM

If anybodys writing is uninspired, its steves! what a uncreative, shallow post. you must be from Ohio.

Jesus Lizard were a good time! I thought they were one of the best bands at ATP. JL definitely in my top 20.

The best, were the FEELIES!

Posted by wingwalker77 | September 15, 2009 3:58 PM

What??
You must be from upstate NY and pretend your from NYC man.
People that are talking trash about Jesus Lizard just dont get them. But its probably the credit card trustafarians that are everywhere now days in NYC like a cancer that havent done a single useful thing in their life but breath off entertainment and pseudo arts fashion. Worst time ever in NYC for new music.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2009 5:13 AM

Sorry "Anonymous" I guess its hard to match the creative writing of yourself with fully realized sentences. Say Wha??

Dude, I don't care about whether people are from NYC or Ohio or where ever, it seems we can share an appreciation of the Jesus Lizard and why not keep it at that?

My shallow post is a reaction to the snooze fest of posters who seem (like yourself) more concerned with poking fun at people from Ohio and making semi-retarded, non-sensical comments about the state of music these days.

Posted by steve | September 16, 2009 9:21 AM

Steve's unsatisfied with his life. You should take a creative writing course at NYU. Put your feelings down Steve. You really sound miserable. We got another possible suicide on here, BV!

Posted by wingwalker77 | September 19, 2009 2:53 PM

nah wingwalker77, Im not THAT miserable. Seems like anyone who would use a shellac song for their internets names would be more suicidal.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2009 11:35 AM