Posted in music on September 14, 2009

yeah let's all ignore the VMA's...just keep pretending u wouldn't totally go if u could - Anon 12:32

Kanye West

The MTV VMAs were last night. Matt & Kim won the award for Breakthrough Video with their naked-in-Times Square video. Kanye West made a scene. Videos of Kanye (who joins Jay-Z and Rhianna on the new Leno show's debut tonight) (and who played with the same two people at MSG on Friday night), Beyonce, Lady Gaga and more below...

Matt & Kim: Radiohead-to-Head

Kanye West's VMA Outburst for Beyonce

Beyonce Saves Taylor Swift's Night at MTV VMA

I'm sooooo sorry to taylor swift and her fans and her mom. I spoke to her mother right after and she said the same thing my mother would've said. She is very talented! I like the lyrics about being a cheerleader and she's in the bleachers! ........................ i'm in the wrong for going on stage and taking away from her moment!................ beyonce's video was the best of this decade! I'm sorry to my fans if I let you guys down! I'm sorry to my friends at mtv. I will apologize to taylor 2mrw. welcome to the real world! everybody wanna booooo me but i'm a fan of real pop culture! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause ... well you know! i'm still happy for taylor! Boooyaaawwww! you are very very talented! I gave my awards to outkast when they deserved it over me... that's what it is!! i'm not crazy yall, i'm just real. Sorry for that! I really feel bad for taylor and i'm sincerely sorry! Much respect!! -Kanye's Blog
Other comments

"I've seen you do some pretty shitty things, but you just keep amazing me with your tactless, asshole ways. It's absolutely fascinating how much I don't like you. I like everyone. I even like my asshole ex that cheated on me over you... which is pretty odd since I don't even personally know you," Clarkson wrote on her IAmKelly blog. "The best part of this evening is that you weren't even up for THIS award and yet you still have a problem with the outcome. Is winning a moon man that much of a life goal?? You can have mine if it will shut you up. Is it that important, really??" Clarkson was nominated in the Best Female Video category last night, but added that she was "excited" when Swift was named the winner.

Pink, who also lost in the Best Female Video category, reportedly had to be restrained by security from approaching West after his rant. Unable to lash out in person, Pink instead turned to her Twitter to attack Kanye, MTV reports. "Kanye West is the biggest piece of shit on earth. Quote me," Pink wrote. "My heart goes out to Taylor Swift. She is a sweet and talented girl and deserved her moment."

American Idol runner-up Adam Lambert wrote on his Twitter, "Kanye needs to chill. He freaks out every year. It ain't that deep man," while Danny Gokey simply used Kanye's words against him, writing "How could you be so heartless?" Katy Perry was less subtle in her tweet, posting "Fuck U Kanye. It's like u stepped on a kitten." Kings of Leon's Nathan Followill said, "We lost damnit. Maybe next year. At least we got to see the worst haircut since 1984 try to steal the spotlight from lovely Taylor Swift." For more of the Kanye bashfest, check out ONTD's rundown of celeb tweets. [Rolling Stone]

lady gaga... this hipster loves you.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 11:44 AM

shouldn't Kanye's blog post be in all caps?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 11:54 AM

An alternate universe of music I never visit.

Posted by drewo | September 14, 2009 11:58 AM

so why did lady gaga die in that video? i don't get it- seriously...

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:02 PM

ummm... I could have gone to the VMAs if I wanted to... but I decided that was the last place in the world I would want to be.

Besides... the season finale of "True Blood" and the new episode of "Mad Men" were awesome last night!!!

Posted by wembley | September 14, 2009 12:02 PM

That stunt will only help Taylor Swift sell more records.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:04 PM

last night was like watching human decency getting raped by Adolf Hitler and peed on by Salvador Dali.

Posted by Kelso Fathertum | September 14, 2009 12:06 PM

"Katy Perry was less subtle in her tweet, posting 'Fuck U Kanye. It's like u stepped on a kitten.'"

Sums things up perfectly. I'm not into country music and wouldn't know a Taylor Swift song if it came up and bit me in the ass...but this time, Kanye really blew it. This ridiculous act is gonna haunt his career big time.

Posted by blackhat | September 14, 2009 12:21 PM

I'm expecting to hear Kanye West's retirement soon!

I hope....

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:23 PM

Kayne West likes fish sticks ..therefore he is a gay fish

Posted by Jim | September 14, 2009 12:35 PM

Kanye is awesome. Fuck all these posturing drama queens. He has balls at least.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:36 PM

I think his apology was sincere so the way I see it forgive and forget. That's more than can be said for Serena Williams, who did not apologize.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:49 PM

^^^ Loves Balls!! ^^^

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:50 PM

I think people need to stfu about Lady Gaga being garbage pop music or whatever and actually start paying attention to her because she definitely put on one of the most interesting performances the VMAs had ever seen, and she did so by actually singing unlike most pop stars these days. You holier than thou hipsters complain how mainstream music is more of the same redundant stuff and then Lady Gaga does shit you'd all applaud if Karen O had done the same.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:50 PM

drake > lady gaga

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:51 PM

Could he pick a more wholesome sweet and innocent girl to do that too?

And seriously, Is the "Single Ladies" video really any good at all? It is the most ridiculous looking dancing I have seen this side of my cousin's wedding.

That said, how could a Beyonce win "video of the Year" and not win "Best Female Video"? If the video of the year winner is a female, that female also has to win "best female video".
That would be like saying the Giants are the best team in Football, but the Saints are the best team in the NFC.

Posted by KC | September 14, 2009 12:54 PM

I hope the next music awards that Kanye is present that if a band/musician wins one, to keep an eye out for him. If you see him coming to the stage - BEAT HIM WITH THE AWARD - then continue with your acceptance speech liked nothing happened.

Posted by anon | September 14, 2009 12:55 PM

the vma thing is all staged. like the bruno and eminem and countless other stunts

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:56 PM

1997 VMA's were probably the last good / valid form of this award show. Fiona Apple freakout, jamiroquai, beck - new pollution, martha stewart and busta rhymes, Puff daddy and Sting, Marilyn Manson closing the show in a corset and platforms, scarring me for life.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:58 PM

"Reality" TV

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 12:59 PM

A banana hammock is covering that dude's face.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 1:03 PM

I actually thought Lady Gaga was lip syncing, 12:50.

I don't get her though. I want to like her. But she tries to hard to be weird & interesting. For me, weird & interesting should happen effortlessly, like Bjork.

And 12:35's post made me laugh. I love that South Park episode.

Posted by M | September 14, 2009 1:04 PM

2 words - squid brains!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 1:12 PM

gaga is lip syncing actually

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 1:19 PM

Lady Gaga's performance had to be the most mind numbingly, pretentious, horror show I've ever seen! All I wana know is WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!?!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 1:20 PM

re: Matt and Kim video

Kim: "um...what's that band called...um....yeah Radiohead!, I don't like them"

what a sad dumbfuck

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 1:20 PM

Fish dicks

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 1:37 PM

taylor swift is pretty attractive physically. her music sucks, however.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 1:59 PM

12:58,

Lady Gaga = The New Marilyn Manson, scarring next generation for life.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 2:00 PM

Gaga's performance was OBVIOUSLY canned. Come on now people!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 2:08 PM

vivian girls > lady meh meh

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 2:31 PM

i didn't even know people still made videos and that there is an audience for them.

Posted by noisome | September 14, 2009 2:53 PM

"Kanye is awesome. Fuck all these posturing drama queens. He has balls at least."

You think he would have done the same to 50 cent??? His music? Crap! His penis? Small. Balls? Nope. That's all we really need to know...

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 2:58 PM

Have to say I'm completely with Kim on this one including the old school hip hop.

Posted by joly | September 14, 2009 3:01 PM

joly so you're saying you're completely naive...

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 3:18 PM

Kanye is actually a better producer than all of you combined. More musicians should be drunk and make fun of each other. We commenters know what thats like!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 3:18 PM

i am not defending what he did..... but Taylor Swift clearly didn't deserve the award....How could the "Video of the year" winner lose in another category?.... that doesn't make any sense.

Posted by John | September 14, 2009 3:33 PM

This whole fiasco is an internet meme goldmine. I can't wait.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 3:34 PM

Madonna was narcissistic, Kanye demonstrated he knows no limits, the Michael Jackson tribute was lacking oomph, a neutered Russell Brand was strangely unfunny, but none of that truly mattered. What we saw last night was a television network that was once different, playing to a disenfranchised younger generation, employing the same damn playbook as the networks. And have you caught the networks' ratings recently?

In an era where the niche is king, where the mainstream is shrinking, MTV tried to be all things to all people. Like a cheerleader being nice to the nerds for a few hours. But didn't MTV get the memo, THE NERDS RULE!

MTV established a monoculture. There was no longer an underground, there was no FM to compete with AM, it was what MTV played and everything else, winners and losers. And to think it was about music is to believe visual stimulation holds no weight, that seeing Britney Spears shake her hips titillates you not a whit. MTV was the paragon, driving hell-bent into the distance, defining youth culture, for those truly young and those who desired to be young. But, MTV never saw the cliff ahead, never saw the nascent Internet, a village off to the side. Hell, the whole entertainment industry didn't see the Internet and still doesn't.

Suddenly, we're back in the sixties. You're either with us or against us. Either you're wired or your irrelevant. Either you can tweet, update your social networking site and text all at the same time, or you're hopelessly out of date.

Facebook and Twitter are tools. Frameworks wherein individuals place their content, not for everyone, but for their accumulated mass, which could be two or three or a few thousand, but which is rarely millions. If Whitney Houston can be all over mainstream media and only sell three hundred thousand albums in a country of three million, do you really think the mainstream counts? The mainstream has become a sideshow!

We had VJs fawning over irrelevant pop stars. Lady GaGa changed outfits so many times she insured she was perceived as a joke. Hell, she could barely talk with her neck propped up in a medieval torture device and one eye covered like the Phantom, and when she won her damn award, she had to pull off her Spider-Man mask to speak.

Green Day and the house band proved that music doesn't work on TV. And Muse was just a joke. Real band, trying to merge old with new, refuses to lip-synch so ends up sounding terrible on TV. Did Muse really need this opportunity? Does anybody need TV? Don't they see that you're inherently subservient to the medium? That television flattens everything, that all content is grist for the mill?

Madonna, barely looking like herself, made her Michael Jackson tribute about her. Like we still care about what she has to say, like we're still in thrall to her throw it all out there, be naked, manipulative persona when millions are revealing their truth online, girls are e-mailing topless photos, it's like grandma showed up to scold her grandkids, telling them you've got to do it her way, dammit.

Kanye... All the celebrities castigating him today. You won't stand up for health care, you won't risk alienating a single potential fan, but you pile on Kanye when the audience knew he was an egomaniac with no limits years ago? This is news?

No, this is the kind of moment MTV lives for, the unscripted. But we used to have RuPaul in a tete a tete with Milton Berle. Now, we've got someone who loves the spotlight so much I'm stunned he doesn't go door to door, telling everyone how fucking great he is.

Janet Jackson... Explain what your talent is again? You shook your surgically enhanced breasts and shapely body to beats crafted by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, you've got no innate talent. As for those dancers replicating Michael Jackson's moves to the big screen presentation of "Thriller", it reminded me of nothing so much as a screening of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show".

And the closing moment with Jay-Z? This is supposed to drive patrons to the live gigs? Explain to me how this works in an arena again? People go to share what the albums mean to them, feel the energy, but what comes out of the speakers...is barely comprehensible.

And Green Day complaining that MTV should play more videos? Even Tom Freston, who ran MTV, told me years ago that MTV was never going to play more videos, that clips were an on demand item on the Web. He got fired, but do you really think people are going to sit in front of the box and wait for their favorite video to appear?

Kings Of Leon were nominated, but they didn't show up or win. Because they're not visual enough, on MTV it's about train-wreck, not music.

Wilco, the critics' band, they were nowhere in attendance either.

Rather this was a party. A made for television event. With sponsors woven into the scrip (Verizon Wireless anyone?) so a big bad corporation, Viacom, can add to its bottom line. But have you checked Viacom's bottom line recently, it's awful!

If you thought the show sucked, you're right. But what you fail to grasp is the silver lining inside all this crap. Yes, if it's this bad, what are the odds something better will appear?

EVERYBODY knows the show sucked. It was just a Sunday night diversion. With trained seals clapping at appropriate moments to give you the impression that what was going on was important, like on a game show. But it had nothing to do with music.

MTV is about fame. For a while there, the two merged, music and fame were interwoven. But then fame came to rule. Look good, be a pawn in our game and we'll hook you up with songwriters and stylists, we'll create a product that will make you famous! But is that really why anybody picks up an instrument? For fame? Is there no reward in music?

Today, when the fame game pays fewer dividends than ever before, we've got whores who are trying to hold on to the little that's left of the old paradigm, and newbies who've chucked it all, who are trying to make it on what comes out of the amplifiers, not what you see on the screen. The only people who have not caught on are those in the mainstream media, flogging each other's products like they truly matter. But if NBC is putting Jay Leno on in prime time, and can make money and will be satisfied with a 1.5 rating, which is fewer than 2 million households, does it really make sense to overpay to produce this tripe that so few are truly interested in, that generates less revenue than ever before?

It's about music. It's about generating an audience the old-fashioned way, through hard work and what comes out of the speakers. Getting lucky on TV doesn't work, because no one's paying attention, the active audience is in front of the computer screen, or focusing on their phone as opposed to passively sitting in front of the box.

That's the revolution the oldster media just doesn't get. The days of passivity are done. We've got an active audience. Which is engaged by truth. All we saw last night was phoniness, an irrelevant train-wreck with the nutritional value of Froot Loops. You didn't miss a thing.

Posted by Bob Lefsetz | September 14, 2009 3:41 PM

Dallas Mapleshade is not happy about this!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 3:51 PM

With a name like Bob Lefsetz, he's gotta like fish dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 4:02 PM

*sobs*

LEAVE KANYE ALONE!!!

*sobs more*

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 4:05 PM

THESE COMMENTS MAKE ME SO MAD I ALMOST BROKE MY MACBOOK AIR TYPING THIS!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 4:20 PM

That Matt and Kim song is such a piece of shit. She has the worst hair. Ever.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 4:36 PM

did anyone actually read what Lefstez said

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 4:49 PM

i love checking this site and finding comments like Bob Lefsetz's followed up by Anon 4:02PM. take some chill pills Bobby, it's fucking MTV.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 4:58 PM

kings of leon were there...sitting behind green day

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 5:02 PM

hahaha yeah Joly is so naive ;)

I don't like Radiohead either.

Posted by Lori | September 14, 2009 5:47 PM

Just like his music, Kanye's goofy interruptions of award shows are becoming beyond boring.

What an uninteresting one trick pony he turned out to be. Yawn...

Posted by FrostBiteBoy | September 14, 2009 5:54 PM

mtv is still on the air? damn, that's a shock.

i just keep it on weather channel, unless lsu is playing.

Posted by geaux tigers | September 14, 2009 6:20 PM

matt & kim=2 douches!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 6:44 PM

lady ga ga hella wins!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2009 7:26 PM

I will summarize bob lefsetz,s comments for twenty bucks

Posted by Hessian scum | September 14, 2009 8:52 PM

the vma's are so lame they need a kanye moment for people to watch. what were the other highlights? there were not any.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2009 12:06 AM

Taylor Swift singing on a subway train was pretty cool, 12:06.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2009 12:43 AM

Lady Gaga's performance was absolutely awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2009 10:54 PM

Well worth the read. Thanks for sharing this information. I got a chance to know about this.

Posted by Clasamente | February 20, 2010 5:40 AM

I could have gone to the VMAs if I wanted to.. but then..

Posted by Wolfman | March 6, 2010 11:14 AM

What a thunder !

Posted by Popular Stories | March 22, 2010 6:00 PM

its time to retire now, Kyne

Posted by presentation folder | March 22, 2010 7:12 PM

Nobody really wins a VMA IMHO

Posted by Data Recovery | March 29, 2010 12:10 PM

ugh, anyone have an extra for the wurst boat tonight? i am decidedly not on a boat
Excellent post, thank you very much for taking the time to share with those who are starting on the subject. Greetings
------------------

Posted by Youtube | April 15, 2010 3:11 PM

Congratulations to Matt & Kim!
Boy, that act by Kanye was really bad! I bet he feels guilty for doing that. I don't like Taylor Swift, but boy he was so wrong.

Posted by combination boiler | May 7, 2010 3:55 PM

so why did lady gaga die in that video? i don't get it- seriously...

Posted by technology | July 22, 2010 12:18 PM

Posted by planet wallpaper | August 1, 2010 6:31 AM

After canceling a November 16th performance at SUNY Purchase due to back problems, musician Dan Deacon has returned

Posted by شات صوتي | August 17, 2010 4:54 AM

and deserve to be able to continue to do so. It's easy to say "should've had insurance," but easier to enjoy art in any

Posted by سعودي كام | February 25, 2011 9:28 AM

I liked a lot the interview with Matt and Kim. They are both very cool.

Posted by Betclic | June 6, 2011 12:41 PM